The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Closed Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 12:50 PM

I want to buy moonshine....

...without breaking the law.

I don't have the space or experience to make it, and would rather not get a cheap imitation.

Anyone here ever drink a commercial 'shine similar to Grandma's recipe? Bonus points if it's sold in a canning jar.
Advertisements  
Old 11-28-2011, 01:00 PM

The legal stuff isn't the same as the real stuff. Real moonshine is 198 proof. Pretty much all states don't allow ethyl alcohol in that content.

Plus, the real stuff is so godawful that nobody would actually buy it in a liquor store to make it commercially feasible.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:00 PM

Would moonshine be distinguishable from Everclear?
Old 11-28-2011, 01:07 PM

I don't know how much help this will be to you, but you can get moonshine legally in South Carolina in a few places. There's a place in Greenville that just opened recently. A clause in the law regarding microbreweries lets "microdistilleries" operate legally also, with a whole slew of regulations.

Dark Corner Distillery

I have had moonshine (the not so legal kind) and in my opinion, it's much better than Everclear. The batches I have tried have much less of a "bite" to them than Everclear does. The sample I tried from Dark Corner was also of very good quality.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtgain View Post
Real moonshine is 198 proof.
FYI, the maximum you'll get via fractional distillation should be around 192, if even that. Ethanol forms an azeotrope with water at around 95-96% by volume.

I don't know about real moonshine, but if they're actually getting 198 proof, there's some other stuff added to the liquor that can't be good for human consumption. The usual agent to get ultra pure ethanol is benzene, which definitely isn't good for drinking.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:36 PM
B. O. B. O. D. D. Y.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasciel View Post
I have had moonshine (the not so legal kind) and in my opinion, it's much better than Everclear. The batches I have tried have much less of a "bite" to them than Everclear does.
I've also had not-so-legal moonshine and it was god-fucking-awful. As in 'immediate gag response' awful, and some gentler folks who partook found themselves immediately vomiting. This was from, as I was told, a "known good" source who only sold to friends, who had been buying for years and not one -- I say, not one -- had gone blind. Someplace in Kentucky, I understand. Would not recommend.

We do have the 'mason jar' commercial kind around here -- some sort of corn liquor -- but I wasn't too keen to repeat the experience and haven't purchased it.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:09 PM

Nitpick: Moonshine is alcohol produced on an illegal still. You can't have "legal moonshine". If its legal, its not moonshine.

But I think what your looking for is the product of micro-distilleries, mentioned above.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:16 PM

I've seen it at Bevmo, as well as poteen, which is a similar idea, and I'm sure grappa is there. I didn't look at the percentages, but I'm going to guess these are way smoother than homemade, and (hopefully) contain less methanol and such.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:50 PM

Most moonshine is pretty godawful, in the same category as prison toilet wine. There are some things were "authentic" doesn't = better.

Moonshne is by it's nature "a cheap imitation" of professionally distilled alcohol. That's essentially what it is. Asking for moonshine that's not a "cheap imitation" isn't logical.

Last edited by astro; 11-28-2011 at 03:55 PM..
Old 11-28-2011, 04:46 PM

How about this? http://www.notcot.com/archives/2011/07/moonshine.php
The manufacturer's site is at moonshine.com
Old 11-28-2011, 07:40 PM
Charter Member

Back when I was working in agriculture, a few of the company execs were at the opening of an ethanol plant, and had a ceremonial "toast" of ethanol that hadn't been denatured. Pure ethanol is about as close to straight-from-the-still moonshine as possible. I don't believe any of them actually swallowed it, feeling compelled to spit it out as soon as it hit their mucous membranes.

Everclear is as close as you want to get to moonshine.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:24 PM

I've had some that tasted like wang-y Everclear, your basic (pshew!) White Lightning, but I've also had some that was more of a corn whiskey...a little lighter in color than Bourbon or Mash, more yellowy. That was fairly sippable once you had enough sips. Also, some not-so good Brandy.

All this was made by a friend's great uncle, who was in his 70s when I was a kid in the late 70s, so he probably had some experience back in the day. By that time, I think him and his fishing buddies just did it for something to do.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:31 PM

Well, if the OP can travel, there are a variety of options. In Cyprus there is Zefaniya, In Saudi there is Sid and Thailand has something distilled from sugar cane that is a lot like drinking lighter fluid. Even the Aka tribesmen in the Golden Triangle have some kind of dreadful thing they distill. It has things floating in it. Ireland has Poteen and I'm sure most other European countries have something similar.

I've had moonshine in Ky. and it was frankly awful. In highschool we used to buy a gallon of that and a case of beer to get it down with. That made for an awful sort of weekend.

Regards

Testy
Old 11-30-2011, 04:05 PM

The moonshine sold around here comes in mason jars, diluted and flavored with fruit. It's strong, but it tastes good.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:44 PM

You want to buy legal shine? Sorry, can't help ya there buddy. {;^)

Actually, there are a number of distlleries making legal white lightning these days.

http://www.juniorsmidnightmoon.com

http://troyandsons.com/
Old 11-30-2011, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunilou View Post
Back when I was working in agriculture, a few of the company execs were at the opening of an ethanol plant, and had a ceremonial "toast" of ethanol that hadn't been denatured. Pure ethanol is about as close to straight-from-the-still moonshine as possible. I don't believe any of them actually swallowed it, feeling compelled to spit it out as soon as it hit their mucous membranes.

Everclear is as close as you want to get to moonshine.
it dilutes itself with any water it can find it your body, sucks it right out of your cells.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:02 PM

The legal, corn based, fancy-labeled "White Whiskey" seems like a ripoff to me - basically Bourbon minus the cost, trouble, and benefit of barrel aging, yet sold for a similar price, no?

Isn't actual moonshine mostly just distilled from plain sugar nowadays?

Last edited by zombywoof; 11-30-2011 at 09:02 PM..
Old 11-30-2011, 09:28 PM

My great aunt had a still and drank her own shine until she died a few years ago at 102. She drank it in a rocks glass (hold the rocks) with a teaspoon of sugar and a twist of lemon. She drank three or four every evening.
I have no idea how she did it and managed to live that long.. By far the nastiest drink I've ever put in my mouth, like sweetened kerosene with a twist.
Just the thought makes me shiver and I tasted it 30 years ago.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtgain View Post
The legal stuff isn't the same as the real stuff. Real moonshine is 198 proof. Pretty much all states don't allow ethyl alcohol in that content.

Plus, the real stuff is so godawful that nobody would actually buy it in a liquor store to make it commercially feasible.
Not really. You can buy 190 proof Everclear in the vast majority of states. For drinking purposes, and 8 proof difference is academic. That shit is dangerous though, and I don't mean dangerous like Jagermeister, I mean like read the MSDS dangerous.

Last edited by drastic_quench; 11-30-2011 at 11:10 PM..
Old 12-02-2011, 11:07 AM

Poitín is awful stuff. I was very disappointed anytime I've had it.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
The legal, corn based, fancy-labeled "White Whiskey" seems like a ripoff to me - basically Bourbon minus the cost, trouble, and benefit of barrel aging, yet sold for a similar price, no?
That's certainly my opinion. A lot of this stuff is made by micro distilleries that simply wouldn't have any product or cash-flow for several years if they waited for proper aging. To my mind, there's a big difference between the microbrew revolution and the current micro distillery thing going on. Microbrews offered a wide range of demonstrably superior products, while I think the established liquor brands are much tougher competition.

Quote:
Yes. Max Watman's Chasing the White Dog is a very entertaining read on the subject.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:32 PM
BANNED

Slightly off topic question...a dufus would assume that pyrex lab glass would make a fine moonshine still. But, apparently he would be wrong.

The still must be made of copper, or the output will be methanol and propanol.

Anyone care to explain that to a dufus?
Old 12-02-2011, 07:09 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Testy View Post
... and Thailand has something distilled from sugar cane that is a lot like drinking lighter fluid.
Called lao khao. Nasty stuff. I swore it off more than 20 years ago after getting hold of some I am absolutely certain was cut with insecticide, which the locals will sometimes do. We won't talk about that night. But I've found some in Laos that's downright tasty.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dufus View Post
Slightly off topic question...a dufus would assume that pyrex lab glass would make a fine moonshine still. But, apparently he would be wrong.

The still must be made of copper, or the output will be methanol and propanol.

Anyone care to explain that to a dufus?
That's not specifically true. My understanding (as someone who has read several books on home distilling) is that a still can be made of anything. Copper is preferred because it heats evenly, it tends to remove off-tasting sulfur compounds from the vapor, and it is the traditional material. Modern moonshine operations typically use galvanized sheet metal (see the Watman book for a detailed description). You can buy stills through various online sources made from stainless steel milk jugs.

Non-ethanol alcohols as well as fuel oils are an unavoidable part of the fermentation process. A good distiller will cut (remove) the heads and tails of the distillation, as the heads contain the lighter alcohols and the tails contain the bad-tasting fusel oils.

Last edited by Pork Rind; 12-02-2011 at 07:15 PM..
Old 12-02-2011, 08:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pork Rind View Post
...as someone who has read several books on home distilling...
For purely informational purposes, of course.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:27 PM

I had real moonshine some years ago. A guy at a party handed me a bottle of white wine and I took a big slug... only it wasn't white wine, but white lightnin'. Boy it was awful and burned all the way down. That was enough for me.
I recently researched Everclear for a song I was writing - I wasn't sure if it was still being produced - and yes it is and is available in most states over the counter. It is powerfully, dangerously strong alcohol. Caveat emptor.
As others have pointed out, "legal moonshine" is a contradiction in terms.
Bottoms up!
Old 12-03-2011, 08:36 PM

'The woodsman pushed the jug into the stranger's hands and then stepped back and aimed his gun at the frightened surveyor. "Take a drink," he commanded. The northerner gulped down a few swallows of fiery liquid. The Kentuckian took back the jug and handed his gun to the stranger. "Now," he insisted, "you make me take a drink!"

"Now hold that gun squar on me...It's the only way I can get the damned stuff down myself!"'

...Kentucky Bluegrass Country R. Gerald Alvey
Old 03-31-2012, 11:14 AM

where to buy moonshine

You can get the real deal in eastern Tennessee. It will take a somewhat deft touch, though. You have to sniff out a local who's hip and gain his/her trust. Start with a general conversation; the locals are- with few exceptions- very friendly. (Try tiny bars or grocery stores/ sometimes little mountain antique stores)

My scam is this: I look for someone who looks like they might be "plugged in." After a little chat I tell them I'm looking to purchase an old moonshine jug as a gift for someone. Then I say: "Hey, you know what would be cool? If I could get some real moonshine to put in it." Half the time the local bites...

The standard price is $20 a mason jar. In my opinion, moonshine gets a bad rap. It's powerful (maybe 160 proof), but mixed with diet-coke and ice (the way I drink it), it's really delicious... a taste all its own.

I have established a connection and I buy 5 jars on a typical run ($100); needless to say, they welcome me with open arms.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluiddruid View Post
I've also had not-so-legal moonshine and it was god-fucking-awful.
Same here.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

Don't forget the toxic contaminants found quiet often in homebrew.

They've been known to toss dead animals into the still to mellow the flavor.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:41 AM

I've drank contraband booze in four countries, first time stuff made by my Pap (grandpa) when I was 14 years old. I understand Pap was kicked out of Shelby county for shining, but that was before my time. I also drank cane hooch in central America (peace corps days) and most recently in Russia a couple years ago. But I have sampled lots of different shines in AR, TN, MS. Not all shine is the same. One really nasty batch in costa rica made me want to die the next morning, and I think I prob had only 4 or 5 shots over the evening. All of it is firewater, but it is not always everclear strength. Some of it is fairly drinkable mixed w coke or fruit juice, and sometimes it comes flavored. In Russia they add pepper to make it even hotter. Nasty.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:13 PM

Here in the Southern Appalachians you can get some mighty good shine. You can get rotgut, too...you should know who you're buying from. The good stuff is potent, too. Not 190 proof, but probably 100-150 proof. And cheaper than anything from a liquor store, of course.

I myself have made it before. It was decent, but not as good as whiskey from the oldtimers in the hills who've been making it for generations.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosda Di'Chi of Tricor View Post
Don't forget the toxic contaminants found quiet often in homebrew.

They've been known to toss dead animals into the still to mellow the flavor.
You post this on a board dedicated to fighting ignorance?
Old 03-31-2012, 03:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drastic_quench View Post
You post this on a board dedicated to fighting ignorance?
It's not entirely unheard of...

Still seized in Bolivar County
Quote:
ABC agents have discovered dead animals such as rodents, raccoons, and opossums in mash barrels. One agent seized moonshine that had been stored in a used paint thinner container with its label still attached.
...it was customary to throw a little blue heron into the beer...

Floyd said it was very common to find dead animals floating in fermenters deep in the woods of mountain counties...
Old 03-31-2012, 11:30 PM
Apple Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post

Replying to zombywoof in a mini-Zombie thread..

The last time I made...err..I mean...I hear you can make it from a brown sugar solution. Of course, we only got..I mean..you might only get 180 proof. YMMV..

-D/a
Old 03-31-2012, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital is the new Analog View Post
The last time I made...err..I mean...I hear you can make it from a brown sugar solution. Of course, we only got..I mean..you might only get 180 proof. YMMV..

-D/a

No, no, no. It has to be corn.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag Otto View Post
No, no, no. It has to be corn.
No, most moonshine these days is entirely sugar-based.

http://www.good.is/post/legalize-moo...th-max-watman/

Quote:
GOOD: Your book also gets into the investigation of the Helms Farmers Exchange, a farm and garden store that provided raw ingredients for illegal moonshiners. The store aroused suspicion because it was the second largest consumer of a certain brand of sugar, which gives you a pretty good sense of what the alcohol actually is.

Watman: Exactly. It's sugar jack. Real commercial, enterprising moonshiners might wave some grain near it, they might throw in some oat bran or cracked-up chicken feed, but it's a misting of grain on top of huge barrel of sugar water.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:51 AM

On April 1st, it's corn.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:34 AM
Charter Member

Shine on Georgia Moon is found in liquor stores and comes in a mason jar.

I've had the illegal kind before. It's usually referred to as corn liquor. Not impressed. Sometimes it has been flavored in the bottle with sugar and Kool-aid (how's THAT for trashy?) or fruit. Still not impressed.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:22 AM
Apple Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag Otto View Post
On April 1st, it's corn.
I'll see what I can do for it..but time is short!

-Popcorn is the new Kernel
Old 04-01-2012, 09:40 AM

Right this very minute, I can go to the liquor store and get myself a bottle of bottom shelf liquor for $10 and no legal hassles. It won't make me blind or, unless I drink the whole thing quickly, sick/hung over. It may not have the mellow smoothness of quality booze, but I'll be able to drink it straight without gagging. Tell me why I would want to choose shine over that?
My mother in law was a moonshiner as is a cousin by marriage. MIL was a pharmacist and cousin is a science teacher, so they turned out a purer, safer product than your typical shiner. You know what, though? Both of them will drink commercially produced vodka or brandy in preference to their own product. When the shiners themselves prefer store bought, that's good enough for me.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:16 AM

Last time I had Moonshine...

Lets just say, even the smell of it will make me start to blow chunks.

SPOILER:
Chunks are not Obese Asians...
Old 04-01-2012, 06:46 PM
Vombatus Moderatus

Moderating: Closed thread

[moderating]
Discussing whether a certain activity is illegal is fine in GQ. Describing how to go about breaking the law is not. In case you're not familiar with the rules for this forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQ FAQ/Rules View Post
9. No discussions of illegal activity. We don't allow discussions of your own criminal activity; we also don't allow discussions of how to violate criminal laws. We do allow questions about whether an activity or device is legal.
I'm locking this thread.
[/moderating]
Closed Thread