The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-01-2011, 02:22 PM
DCnDC DCnDC is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Why do I have to restart my smartphone once a week?

I have a Samsung Galaxy S 4G. Under "Support" my phone tells me "T-Mobile suggests that customers restart their mobile devices at least once per week."

Why?
Reply With Quote
Advertisements  
  #2  
Old 12-01-2011, 02:50 PM
China Guy China Guy is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 9,368
not sure what O/S but likely that the programs and apps you open do not all get shut down even when you "close" them. The soft reboot ensures that there are not apps in the background chewing up memory and hurting performance. A soft reboot may also clear out RAM memory or things like recent webpage visits. Remember, a smart phone, unlike a PC, has limited memory and processing resources. Reboot ever day, few days, weekly is the easy fix.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-01-2011, 02:53 PM
Keeve Keeve is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
It's like any other computer. There's stuff that it does when it starts up and shuts down, and it's important to let it do those things every once in a while.

As a programmer, I must say that I wish they'd stop making the computers in this way. Decades ago, when computers were slower, it was genuinely a good idea to do this stuff once a day, when the computer is turned on. It really did save time and make things run faster during the course of the day. But nowadays, the computers run so fast that in my opinion we'd be better off if everything was kept constantly up to date; it is only the laziness of my fellow programmers that allows them to continue in the old style. And on their behalf, I apologize.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-01-2011, 03:02 PM
Cell Guy Cell Guy is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Restarting the phone occasionally will get rid of various glitches that pop up and impede performance of the device. The "smart" part of a smartphone is really a computer, and you don't let your computer run 24/7 for weeks without rebooting it.

The best way to do it is to power the phone off, pull the battery, reinsert the battery and power back on. I don't think you have to do it every week. I usually tell my customers to do it when they notice problems with performance of the device.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-01-2011, 03:07 PM
gazpacho gazpacho is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 5,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cell Guy View Post
Restarting the phone occasionally will get rid of various glitches that pop up and impede performance of the device. The "smart" part of a smartphone is really a computer, and you don't let your computer run 24/7 for weeks without rebooting it.
I certainly do. The only time my work laptop, home laptop and home desktop get rebooted is if updates are installed that require it.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-01-2011, 03:07 PM
SeaCanary SeaCanary is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cell Guy View Post
Restarting the phone occasionally will get rid of various glitches that pop up and impede performance of the device. ...

The best way to do it is to power the phone off, pull the battery, reinsert the battery and power back on. ...
[Emphasis added.]

Doesn't this force a download of software updates to the phone?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-01-2011, 03:14 PM
Mdcastle Mdcastle is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Anything more sophisticated than a toaster benefits from being shut down and restarted now and then. For lack of a better term software tends to get corrupted when run and needs to be restarted for best performance or in some cases any performance. My cable modem locks up and needs to be restarted every couple of days. I've thought of putting it on a timer to shut off the power for a few minutes every morning at 4:00 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-01-2011, 03:17 PM
Reply Reply is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Arcata, CA
Posts: 6,810
That's probably because T-Mobile is too lazy to troubleshoot specific performance issues and suggests that you reboot instead. To be fair, a reboot will likely fix many issues caused by wayward apps.

But with both Android and modern PCs, if you have an up-to-date operating system and don't have malware, regular reboots aren't really necessary.

Android is arguably good enough at background memory management on its own, and Windows 7 (and even XP) are stable enough that you shouldn't have to restart the whole system. Individual apps from time to time, probably, but it's been a decade or longer since regular system reboots were essential to smooth operation.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-01-2011, 03:20 PM
Reply Reply is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Arcata, CA
Posts: 6,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaCanary View Post
[Emphasis added.]

Doesn't this force a download of software updates to the phone?
Depends on the phone. On Android phones, they typically download updates on a staggered schedule (so not everyone congests the network at once) and then prompts you to reboot when needed. Manually forcing a reboot before an update is available won't do anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdcastleman View Post
Anything more sophisticated than a toaster benefits from being shut down and restarted now and then. For lack of a better term software tends to get corrupted when run and needs to be restarted for best performance or in some cases any performance. My cable modem locks up and needs to be restarted every couple of days. I've thought of putting it on a timer to shut off the power for a few minutes every morning at 4:00 AM.
That usually happens to cheaper electronics. Better routers/modems can go months and years without problems.

A lot of consumer electronics these days can have an uptime measured in months instead of days; it's not really unusual anymore.

Last edited by Reply; 12-01-2011 at 03:22 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-01-2011, 03:25 PM
Cell Guy Cell Guy is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaCanary View Post
[Emphasis added.]

Doesn't this force a download of software updates to the phone?
You may get notifications that updates are available but those updates won't download without your permission (unless you have changed your permissions to allow automatic updating).
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-01-2011, 03:28 PM
beowulff beowulff is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Scottsdale, more-or-less
Posts: 10,721
FWIW, I haven’t shut my iPhone down in months...
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-01-2011, 03:36 PM
Joey P Joey P is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 21,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reply View Post
But with both Android and modern PCs, if you have an up-to-date operating system and don't have malware, regular reboots aren't really necessary.
My Android needs to be rebooted from time to time. About once a week or so it'll drop the data connection. Problem is, it doesn't let me know and I usually find out when someone says "Didn't you get all my text messages?"
But since the battery just barely makes it a full (waking) day, from time to time I just let it run down.

Also, as someone else said, I just always figured that it's a computer and even the best computers need to be rebooted once in a while.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-01-2011, 03:41 PM
Princhester Princhester is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 11,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulff View Post
FWIW, I havenít shut my iPhone down in months...
Likewise. Mine gets turned off when I fly. Period. It would have been on continuously for six months at a time or longer.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-01-2011, 03:47 PM
sachertorte sachertorte is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
I was told by Apple that occasional shut down every program and turn off the device is a good practice for iOS devices. Mine had become corrupted by trying to gobble up more memory than it had.

I'm a bit obsessive about shutting of programs now.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-01-2011, 04:34 PM
gazpacho gazpacho is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 5,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaCanary View Post
[Emphasis added.]

Doesn't this force a download of software updates to the phone?
It does not on my android phone (droid incredible). I tend to switch batteries on my phone about once a week when I put in the extended battery so I can log my hikes with the phone's GPS.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-01-2011, 06:11 PM
Fubaya Fubaya is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Here is what T-mobile says about it, which is more or less what's been said here. While a reboot never hurts, I imagine that's probably their advice for phones across the board and probably does help quite a few. Not all phones are smart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeve View Post
It's like any other computer. There's stuff that it does when it starts up and shuts down, and it's important to let it do those things every once in a while.

As a programmer, I must say that I wish they'd stop making the computers in this way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cell Guy View Post
The "smart" part of a smartphone is really a computer, and you don't let your computer run 24/7 for weeks without rebooting it.
I take it you guys were never around any frustrated Linux admins who had to deal with the 2.4 kernel bug which required a reboot every 16 months.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-01-2011, 06:34 PM
Digital is the new Analog Digital is the new Analog is offline
Apple Advisory Board
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Mount Crumpit
Posts: 3,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by China Guy View Post
Remember, a smart phone, unlike a PC, has limited memory and processing resources. Reboot ever day, few days, weekly is the easy fix.
Your PC also has limited memory and processing resources. The limit is just high enough that many people never notice it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post
My Android needs to be rebooted from time to time. About once a week or so it'll drop the data connection. Problem is, it doesn't let me know and I usually find out when someone says "Didn't you get all my text messages?"
Not to say this isn't happening to you..but since this is the SDMB: Technically, text messages come over a separate channel from data. If you aren't getting your text messages, it's not because your data connection got dropped. That would be a reason you can't surf the web or read e-mail. Of course, the SW on your phone could plumb them together in such a way that if data were unavailable, the text message interface would hang as well. As a side effect.


-D/a


-D/a
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-01-2011, 08:48 PM
obbn obbn is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulff View Post
FWIW, I havenít shut my iPhone down in months...
Wish I could say the same for my iPhone a 3g. If you run apps after a while it slows to a crawl, seems as if the used apps aren't releasing memory. I shut it down, turn it on and it runs fast again. The iPhone is no more immune to this than any other device.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-01-2011, 09:05 PM
Princhester Princhester is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 11,364
Do you shut down apps fully?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-01-2011, 09:10 PM
Dog80 Dog80 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
I had to restart my HTC Desire once a week or else it would become so slow as to be totally unusable.

It turned out the culprit was a memory leak in the built-in internet browser. They fixed it in a later ROM update and now I don't have to restart it.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 12-02-2011, 06:50 PM
bouv bouv is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital is the new Analog View Post
Not to say this isn't happening to you..but since this is the SDMB: Technically, text messages come over a separate channel from data. If you aren't getting your text messages, it's not because your data connection got dropped. That would be a reason you can't surf the web or read e-mail. Of course, the SW on your phone could plumb them together in such a way that if data were unavailable, the text message interface would hang as well. As a side effect.
On Android phones, it's possible to use third-party texting apps (Google Voice being the most popular) that do send texts over the data, not cell, connection.

It's what I do...but yeah, if I'm in a 3G deadzone, I can't receive texts...I can still send them, I just have to go into my normal texting app, not the Google Voice app...but since GV "takes over," for lack of a better word, the incoming texts, there's no way to get any response.

Last edited by bouv; 12-02-2011 at 06:51 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-02-2011, 08:34 PM
Cell Guy Cell Guy is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubaya View Post
Here is what T-mobile says about it, which is more or less what's been said here. While a reboot never hurts, I imagine that's probably their advice for phones across the board and probably does help quite a few. Not all phones are smart.





I take it you guys were never around any frustrated Linux admins who had to deal with the 2.4 kernel bug which required a reboot every 16 months.
No, but everyday I look in the mirror at a frustrated cell phone tech who has seen a battery pull/power cycle fix the buggiest of smartphones.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-02-2011, 09:22 PM
andrewm andrewm is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
I haven't rebooted by iPhone 4 in 82 days, and my MacBook in 75.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-02-2011, 09:27 PM
davidm davidm is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Near Philadelphia PA, USA
Posts: 5,999
My Windows phone reboots itself at random times and then hangs in the middle of the reboot, requiring a battery pull to get it started again.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12-02-2011, 10:26 PM
Digital is the new Analog Digital is the new Analog is offline
Apple Advisory Board
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Mount Crumpit
Posts: 3,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouv View Post
On Android phones, it's possible to use third-party texting apps (Google Voice being the most popular) that do send texts over the data, not cell, connection.

It's what I do...but yeah, if I'm in a 3G deadzone, I can't receive texts...I can still send them, I just have to go into my normal texting app, not the Google Voice app...but since GV "takes over," for lack of a better word, the incoming texts, there's no way to get any response.
But you're not really sending a text. You're sending a data packet to a server, which sends a text on your behalf. It sure LOOKS like you're sending a text..but I don't think it's what you're doing from a protocol perspective.

Disclaimer: I'm a baseband guy, not a radio guy..so there may be some nuances in the spec that I'm not aware of.


-D/a
Reply With Quote
Reply



Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright © 2013 Sun-Times Media, LLC.