The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS)

Old 12-01-2011, 10:18 PM

A guy dressed as Frosty the Snowman scares people and they call 911. Really?

I guess peoples fear of crime has really gotten to paranoia.

A guy wanting to spread some holiday cheer goes out on the street and waves at people.

The result: 911 calls? What the heck?

Does this guy look scary to you? Especially if all he's doing is walking down the street and waving at people?
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...n_1121790.html

He wasn't strolling into any banks or stores. He wasn't a cleverly disguised bandit. I seriously doubt that would be a good muggers disguise either.

Geez, Holiday cheer is tough to spread anymore. Next thing you know Christmas Carolers will have the cops called on them.

This was a small town too. Not the Ghetto in NY or LA.

Last edited by aceplace57; 12-01-2011 at 10:20 PM..
Advertisements  
Old 12-02-2011, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post

He looks like something ripped from my nightmares, or a Stephen King novel, or the Very Special Christmas Episode of American Horror Story.

Seriously, while well intentioned, that getup is creepy with a capital C.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:45 AM

I was on board with this until I saw the picture.

Frosty eats children!
Old 12-02-2011, 08:18 AM
Charter Member

Well, he is Canadian...
Old 12-02-2011, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Does this guy look scary to you? Especially if all he's doing is walking down the street and waving at people?
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...n_1121790.html
Uh, yeah that is creepy with a captial EEPY.
Quote:
This was a small town too. Not the Ghetto in NY or LA.
Can't speak for LA, but in NYC this creepy-ass costume would most likely go unremarked. Most people see wierder things before breakfast.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:29 AM
Charter Member

Aww. I think he was cute and the sentiment incredibly sweet. People like that are just ridiculous. Maybe someday, they'll do something innocuous, and then the police will be called on them. How silly.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:32 AM

Add the fact that he's going around rapping on windows and wearing some kind of most un-holiday cheery drab insane asylum/mad scientist jumpsuit. You might as well replace snowman mask with hockey mask, and " spread holiday cheer " with " spread excitement for hockey"

Sounds like a nice guy, but can't blame the people for being freaked out. Don't rap on windows wearing masks.

Last edited by Bootis; 12-02-2011 at 08:33 AM..
Old 12-02-2011, 08:38 AM

I think he's an older guy from what I see of his hands. Can't imagine where he got the green tweed suit.

Part of the fun in costumes is using old bits of clothing from the closet.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfool View Post
Aww. I think he was cute and the sentiment incredibly sweet. People like that are just ridiculous. Maybe someday, they'll do something innocuous, and then the police will be called on them. How silly.
You know, in theory it IS incredibly sweet and cute, but did you see the photo? Dude was CREEPY looking.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootis View Post
Add the fact that he's going around rapping on windows and wearing some kind of most un-holiday cheery drab insane asylum/mad scientist jumpsuit.
A different shade of green would have been a much better choice. Or maybe red.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

Holy shit. I'd call the cops on Frosty the Droog in a heartbeat. They'll be able to find him easily because he won't be moving much after I get the shotgun.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushgeekgirl View Post
You know, in theory it IS incredibly sweet and cute, but did you see the photo? Dude was CREEPY looking.
I did, I promise. And I too thought it was an older man. Still seemed cute to me, but then, I'm not easily creeped out and my favorite things for the longest time was clowns. So there ya go.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:57 AM

Yes, his intentions were good, but that is one scary costume. He looks like something out of those Burger King commercials; the ones that featured the actual king mascot.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
Well, he is Canadian...
Where did you read that?

(Or maybe you can tell by his weight? )
Old 12-02-2011, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan View Post
Where did you read that?
The article said Van Couver, but maybe that's in New Jersey or something...
Old 12-02-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
The article said Van Couver, but maybe that's in New Jersey or something...
Vanceboro, N.C?
Old 12-02-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
That guy should hold himself lucky that people thought to call 911, rather than immediately driving a stake through his heart or taking his head off with a machete, as any rational person would.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Vanceboro, N.C?
That's not in Canada?

Dammit.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Does this guy look scary to you?
Fuck yes.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:10 AM

I think he's creepy, but not enough to call 911. If he was hanging out next to the elementary school, I might call the police, but walking down the street, not so much.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:11 AM

In the picture he doesn't look too bad - just like he's wearing a bad costume. It may have been different in motion.

Calling 911? Definite overreaction
Being creeped out? YMMV, but definitely possible
Asking him to go the bleep away? Logical reaction
Old 12-02-2011, 11:18 AM

Unless he was asking people to suck his candy cane, seems a bit over the top to call 911.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdn View Post
I was on board with this until I saw the picture.

Frosty eats children!
He sure does!

SPOILER:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELxeSadruMI

NSFW video. Proto-South Park by Matt and Trey.
Old 12-02-2011, 01:10 PM

It's pretty pathetic that the culture of fear is so deeply ingrained into people's psyche. "Oh, something slightly out of the ordinary - PANIC!! CALL THE POLICE!!"

I hate people.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:14 PM

If he'd actually been dressed as Frosty the Snowman, it would have been just fine. But he's dressed like an escapee from a mental institution who found a Frosty display in someone's yard, cut off its head, put it on, grabbed a candy cane from the same display, and concealed a pointy knife in the end of it. Why no, I don't have an overactive imagination at all... D:

That suit is pretty freakin' cool in a creepy way. He looks like the monopoly man.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:28 PM
Charter Member

Seriously, I love the lapels on the jumpsuit. I would totally wear that. Just not with the Frosty head.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:48 PM

Creepy snowman dude is creepy!
Old 12-02-2011, 02:52 PM

And I would have gotten away with it if it weren't for those meddling kids!
Old 12-02-2011, 02:57 PM

"Four panicked locals called 911 to report a disguised man with a four-foot candy cane was on the loose, according to the station."

So, where exactly did they think he was "on the loose" from, and what exactly did they expect the authorities to do about it? To ticket him for creepiness? Arrest him for false impersonation, or failure to register his cane?

And what makes this a disguise, rather than an costume, anyway?
Old 12-02-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guizot View Post
And what makes this a disguise, rather than an costume, anyway?
The fact that it disguises his identity by entirely covering his face. My read on the situation is that if his identity was not diguised, this would have been regarded as amusing and harmless. However, people simply do not go about fully masked in our society without ulterior motive -- the exception is a few places where there are incredibly strict controls on their behavior (ie, Disneyland)

Last edited by Hello Again; 12-02-2011 at 03:20 PM..
Old 12-02-2011, 04:24 PM

Yeah, I also agree upon seeing the picture that that is one scary costume.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:47 PM

That'd be a fantastic Halloween costume. Calling 911 is too much, but man, that is only holiday cheer if he's a sidekick of the Futurama Santa.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFidelius View Post
Holy shit. I'd call the cops on Frosty the Droog in a heartbeat. They'll be able to find him easily because he won't be moving much after I get the shotgun.
Let me guess-he whistled "Singing in the Rain" as he nonchalantly strolled down the street looking for his next victim.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello Again View Post
However, people simply do not go about fully masked in our society without ulterior motive
Well, SWAT teams...
Old 12-02-2011, 07:45 PM

Quote:
However, people simply do not go about fully masked in our society without ulterior motive --
Actually, some people do. One of my hobbies is disguises. I use prosthetics, hair pieces and coloring, etc. to alter my appearance such that my acquaintances won't recognize me. (The challenge is to show up where they are without them realizing your identity.) This is all for fun, the same way people do other seemingly pointless things like geo-caching, etc. There is no ulterior motive to it, and as far as I know, there's no reason to call the police when I do it.
Quote:
...the exception is a few places where there are incredibly strict controls on their behavior (ie, Disneyland)
Those are not disguises--they're costumes, and when they put them on, everyone knows that they're in a costume. Let's not confuse the two things. The purpose of a disguise is simply to appear different, not to draw attention to oneself, and that's not what this guy dressed as Frosty the Snowman was doing at all.

The real issue here isn't about criminality, but rather social norms. The guy was just making people uncomfortable in the same the way someone who talks to himself on the subway does. But do we call the police when that happens? What are the police supposed to do about it? And what if this kind of get-up were to start gaining some marginal popularity during holidays? Would they outlaw it, so as not to make people feel uncomfortable?

Last edited by guizot; 12-02-2011 at 07:46 PM..
Old 12-02-2011, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guizot View Post
...One of my hobbies is disguises. I use prosthetics, hair pieces and coloring, etc. to alter my appearance such that my acquaintances won't recognize me. (The challenge is to show up where they are without them realizing your identity.)....
Uh huh.

Well you sound like a normal well-adjusted person alright.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Well you sound like a normal well-adjusted person alright.
It goes with the intravenous cocaine use and fiddling.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Mudd View Post
It goes with the intravenous cocaine use and fiddling.
Quick, Larry, the game's afoot!
Old 12-02-2011, 09:46 PM

That's not Frosty! That's the guy being slowly digested by Frosty in mid-wave as he's trying to signal for help!
Old 12-02-2011, 10:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogSosoth View Post
That's not Frosty! That's the guy being slowly digested by Frosty in mid-wave as he's trying to signal for help!
Dear G-d.

I'm sleeping with the lights on tonight.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogSosoth View Post
The shoggoths are getting disturbingly clever.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:03 AM

Damn, I saw that and my first thought was "are they filming the Dr Who Christmas Special in America now?" Cause.... that's like, hide behind the couch creepy.

Masks are freaky to lots of people anyway, and most people don't disguise themselves in order to "spread holiday cheer." In fact, nowadays, about the only time it's socially acceptable to wear a mask is the following:

Theatrical Events (I will include improv in this for guizot's sake, but many people still find improv activities to be subversive to the social norms. That's partly why people DO them.)
Halloween (trick-or-treating and parties)
Costume Balls (getting rarer, but still happens, especially in the South)
Political Activism (most recent example would be the Occupyers appropriating the Guy Fawkes V-For-Vendetta mask)
Illegal Activities (bank robbing, safe-cracking, kidnapping)

Wandering the streets as Frosty does not fall into any of the above categories, therefore the average person's thought process is going to go: "Not normal, ergo - lunatic or criminal. Either way, 911 will know what to do with him while I GTFO."
Old 12-03-2011, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasciel View Post
Theatrical Events (I will include improv in this for guizot's sake, but many people still find improv activities to be subversive to the social norms. That's partly why people DO them.)
Halloween (trick-or-treating and parties)
Costume Balls (getting rarer, but still happens, especially in the South)
Political Activism (most recent example would be the Occupyers appropriating the Guy Fawkes V-For-Vendetta mask)
Illegal Activities (bank robbing, safe-cracking, kidnapping)
Right--which is just to say that context is everything, as has always been the case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasciel View Post
Wandering the streets as Frosty does not fall into any of the above categories, therefore the average person's thought process is going to go: "Not normal, ergo - lunatic or criminal. Either way, 911 will know what to do with him while I GTFO."
Hence the social norm is that, notwithstanding the above contexts, one enters the public arena by tacit agreement that one displays one's face. In other words, you are violating this agreement if you don't. However, in a recent federal court ruling, Hiibel v. Sixth Judicial District Court of Nevada, it was found constitutional that an individual is required to identify himself only if the police are in the process of some kind of "investigation."

So, we're left asking, is wearing a Frosty the Snowman mask (in ordinary circumstances)--in and of itself--grounds for an "investigation," when clearly there is no intent to defraud, etc.? What if it had simply been a mask with a regular face, and if he had been wearing regular clothes, without the hyperbolic hat? What if someone would like to go out in public, but simply doesn't want to have his face recorded on every internet live broadcast, idle web cam, or Google street view that he walks by? Is he required to expose his face if he wants to go out in public?
Old 12-03-2011, 01:26 PM

short answer (I'm heading out of town, so no time for more)

Legally, no. Socially, yes.

In other words, well-meaning and confused persons will call the authorities when presented with something strange (yet not illegal) like this.

The authorities will come for said person, determine that there is nothing illegal going on (however long and comvoluted and jail-time-involving that process may be) and the person is then free to wander the streets masked until another well-meaning and confused person will call the authorities again.

Rinse and repeat until either all of the well-meaning persons or all of the authorities know about said weirdo and his inability to abide by social norms and they leave him/her alone from then on out.

Social obligations are not legally binding, but if not attended to they can be cumbersome, and cause inconvenience to the person who is not abiding by them. They are intended to be so, otherwise, what's the point of having them if there are no consequences? The fear of "hassle" or "what people will think" is enough to keep most people toeing the social norm line. Those who choose not to need to realize that they are causing a stir in the people who interact with them, and the consequences may be some inconvenience when the authorities take it upon themselves (as they should) to determine that you are just weird, and not criminal.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:38 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
However, people simply do not go about fully masked in our society without ulterior motive -- the exception is a few places where there are incredibly strict controls on their behavior (ie, Disneyland)
You must be pretty freaked out every time October 31 rolls around.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:06 PM

That was absolutely horrifying. I wish I could unsee that photo. Cripes and crepes that is creepy!
Old 12-03-2011, 03:57 PM

That jumpsuit screams "Michael Myer's long-lost brother" to me.

I wouldn't have called 911. But if some shit had gone down right after I had seen that guy, I would have let the police know that I had seen a crazy snowman in the area.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
In fact, nowadays, about the only time it's socially acceptable to wear a mask is the following:

How is this not a theatrical improv?

Personally, I can't see how this is creepy in the first place, but even if it is, so what?
Old 12-03-2011, 11:09 PM

My mother once saw Santa and had probably been drinking too much eggnog (Yeah, Dad restrained her before the reindeer hit.)

As for Frosty, I had a hideous nightmare along the lines of "Frosty the Pervert" when I was a kid and you couldn't fault me for freaking at something like that.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:34 PM

Guy definitely looks like he escaped from a mental institution