Bagels: Sweet or savory?

I’m almost always a savory type myself, especially if we’re looking at store-bought bagels. I like onion or everyseed, with butter. If they are from the local bagel heaven, I usually get everyseed with their amazing Artichoke Smoked Gouda cream cheese spread.
If I could marry a food, that would be it.

Sweet bagels??? The end times must have arrived.

If you want sweet, get a donut! That’s what they’re for.

Pro-tip: sweet bagel == donut.

Why not serve ham and cheese on a bagel while you’re at it. Oy.

Mmm, I just had an everything bagel with hummus. Delectable. I usually get savory bagels when I get them but every once in a while, I’ll get a cinnamon sugar with honey butter. (I find when it comes to bread based products, there’s no point in butter if you can get ahold of honey butter. )

And donuts and bagels are completely different products. Anyone who offers me a donut when I ask for a sweet bagel will get a derisive snort.

I’ll go for either salt bagel or everything bagel, toasted, with cream cheese.

Not that I do it that often, but that’s what I do when I do.

Jalapeno bagels are wonderful at getting your heartburn started in the morning.

Sweet bagels = disgusting.

Wow. Sweet bagel = donut? Those are fighting words if ever I heard them.

I like savory bagels, but I love sweet cream cheese flavors like honey nut.

I used to like cinnamon raisin bagels, but I grew out of them. I prefer savory bagels, specifically sesame.

Pumpernickel with onion and chive cream cheese…mmmmmm. 1vote for savory.

I don’t think I’d want the actual bagel to be sweet, but I might put cream cheese and jam on a plain bagel. I’m much more likely to eat a savory bagel, though. Onion, etc.

I don’t think I’ve ever had a sweet application of bagel, so, yeah, savory.

Plain or egg bagels w/ cream cheese or butter for breakfast, or sandwiches. Sweet bagels for breakfast or snacks.

Right now I’m obsessed with pumpkin spice bagels, which I’ve mentioned on the boards. I have a freezer full of them. It really is an obsession, complete with dreams, clearing shelves at the store…

Unless I make my own, bagels are just round bread, half the time. Doughnuts do not equal sweet bagels. That’s an insult to good bagels and good doughnuts.

A plain bagel with something sweet on it, like cream cheese and apricot jam can be good, but sweet in the bagle is not my cup of tea. Someone gave me a chocolate chip bagel once and I had to spit it out.

toasted onion bagel with cream cheese and lettus

Spicy!

Ooooh, I forgot the salt bagels. Maybe I’d marry one of those instead. Put a little crunchy peanut butter on there, and I’m in heaven.
My kids like cinnamon sugar bagels with cinnamon-brown sugar cream cheese. If I’m in the mood for dessert–say, after I’ve had my savory bagel–then I might have a piece. But I don’t like any sweet chunky things in bagels–raisins, chocolate chips, etc.
When we go to Tennessee in the summer, the very last stop we make is the bagel place. We take 2 dozen bagels and two or three containers of schmear. Mmmm. I love that ritual.

Savory. Salt or onion, though salt bagels are vanishingly rare around these parts, so I go for onion. I love how the onion gets all crispy burnt when you toast the bagel. I eat one of those for breakfast then go breathe on my enemies.

The sweet bagels at the bagel place on campus are very popular. Girls especially like the sweet bagels with sweet topping, like a blueberry bagel with honey and peanut butter. I have also heard more than one kid order a cinnamon raisin bagel with lox. Urp.

Generally savory – everything or onion for cream cheese with lox/baked salmon spread, poppy seed or sesame for butter. But there is definitely a place of honor for a well-made cinnamon raisin bagel, toasted, with butter. Yum. It’s a hug you can taste.

Actually a guilty treat for me as a kid was pumpernickel with wine/cheddar cheese. (Wispride only, back in the days when it was sold in a brown ceramic tub with a metal wire clasp thingy and rubber gasket. Such a production, oy!) I don’t know if that combo would make it through my adult palate, although then again, I blush to admit that my adult palate hasn’t changed as much as it should have from my one as a child.