The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 12-06-2011, 10:43 AM
Charter Member

"Meat from truck" scam?

Here is a description of an experience I had yesterday. Seems to have "scam" written all over it but I've never heard of this. Have you?

A guy walks up to my front door and says he is from a local food service, delivering a meat order to one of my neighbors. It's 3:30 but he says the people won't be home until 5:00 so he has some time to kill. Would I like to buy from him right now? He starts asking me about my food shopping habits. I declined to get into that conversation and asked him how his company works. He said his company had the highest possible ratings from Better Business Bureau. I asked if he had some kind of brochure he could leave me. He said he would come back.

So then 5:15 he shows up. Said the delivery didn't go through (whatever that means) so now he has this order he'll sell me for a good price. I said I've never heard of his company (actually he never even told me the name) and don't buy from door-to-door salesmen but would be happy to look through a brochure. He said he was with his route manager, who was out in the truck in front of my house. It was a white modified pickup that looked like it had some commercial logos/signage painted on but it wasn't close enough to read it. He went out to the truck and instead of coming back with his manager or a brochure he just drove away.
Advertisements  
Old 12-06-2011, 10:49 AM

Heard of it before, never saw it. A quick Google turns up results like it being ok meat but not worth the price, all the way down to one where the purchaser thawed out the meat and found it had surely spoiled (and/or not been the type advertised) and been frozen for sale to a sucker. Some of it might be stolen as well.

Some stories indicated that there are a few legitimate sellers like this, but they would have brochures for you.

Last edited by Ferret Herder; 12-06-2011 at 10:50 AM..
Old 12-06-2011, 10:52 AM

http://www.rochester911.com/blog/cri...g-door-to-door

Speakers from truck.
Fish from truck.
Jewelry from truck.

All been 'round for years. Big city stuff common in burbs now.

http://www2.nbc4i.com/news/2009/apr/...ohio-ar-12440/

Last edited by Philster; 12-06-2011 at 10:53 AM..
Old 12-06-2011, 10:52 AM
Charter Member

I guess there's a chance it might be legit, but if not, and you get heavy packages that contain rotten meat, improperly labeled, inspected, or, Og forbid, nothing but bricks, what recourse do you have?

Only the gullible would bite.

Last edited by Musicat; 12-06-2011 at 10:53 AM..
Old 12-06-2011, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

Maybe he was a spammer.

Scam.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:57 AM

Door to door meat salesman. That's funny. I'm imagining a man in a suit and hat with a briefcase filled with steaks.

Last edited by DCnDC; 12-06-2011 at 10:57 AM..
Old 12-06-2011, 10:58 AM
Charter Member

Here's a message board detailing the operation. It's not necessarily an overt scam, per se, but overpriced meat.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:04 AM

I don't see how buying meat - a foodstuff with a good chance of spoilage that is serious - from an unknown stranger, with no way to track back for complaints, no way to be sure that this meat is safe in any way could even be considered for one minute.

When you buy food from a supermarket, or the local butcher, both are routinely inspected by the Health office to make sure they meet hygiene and cooling standards. You know where the business is if you want to sue them for selling spoiled food or otherwise sub-standard stuff. And still people sell spoiled meat by trucking it around, mixing it or lowering the price (we've had several scandals in Bavaria in the past years, due to lack of inspectors).
Old 12-06-2011, 11:10 AM

The description in the OP definitely sounds like a scam.

I have met similar salespeople in situations that I didn't think was an outright scam. They had business cards and the meat came in a box with a fixed set of different steaks, ground beef, etc. When I did the math, I wasn't saving much. If I had really wanted the selection of cuts in the box, the price would have been pretty close to the local supermarkets... but at the supermarket I could have bought just the ones I wanted.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:38 AM

We get the door-to-door meat guy coming by once every few years. I'd read something in the distant past (before we even moved to the country) about these guys selling substandard or old meat, so we never even engage them in conversation, just give them the heave-ho.

We also get the "aeriel" photo guy every few years who tries to sell us a framed, laminated picture of our property taken from the hill across the road. It's only $400, but so far I've been able to resist.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:46 AM

I had the exact same situation regarding a "failed delivery to a neighbor." I listened to his pitch and then passed on it because I had no assurance as to the quality of the meat (e.g., not spoiled or otherwise up to health standards).
Old 12-06-2011, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

Thing is, there is no neighbor who ordered meat and then wasn't there to pick it up. That's just a story, because wandering from house to house selling frozen meat would strike people as weird. But that's exactly what he's doing, going from house to house trying to sell frozen meat. Except, if he has to lie to you so you won't slam the door in his face, then why would you be interested in his product? He can't be a reputable businessman, because his sales pitch is based on lies and he never expects to have a repeat customer. If you really want a truckload of frozen meat you can get on the Google and find someone to deliver it, or just ask your local market.

So it's not a pure scam, because if you give him money you'll really get a bunch of frozen meat of whatever quality. But it is a scam because you're not going to get good quality product at a discount rate. You're going to get god-knows-what quality product at steep rate.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:08 PM

I had a friend who's uncle drove a delivery truck for a major grocery chain in Dayton and he had freezers full of meat off of the truck he would sell us at decent prices.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:13 PM
Charter Member

We're getting a delivery today from Omaha Meats. I'm assuming a Christmas present, but I'm not sure. They called about a week ago to let us know the day they'd be delivering, to be sure someone is home, and to give us time to make room in our freezer.

Fortunately my wife can be home, or else they'd just sell it to the neighbors, apparently.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:19 PM

I worked for one of those companies for a few days and, as others have said, not a scam, but not a great deal either. It looks like a lot of meat, but a lot of it is just burgers, and the steaks aren't great.

Also, we would go door to door showing the people a box of meat. Eventually the meat would thaw. We would just toss it back in the truck and get a new one. Most of the trucks were not refrigerated. Most were just pickups with an unplugged freezer and a chunk of dry ice. Any meat you bought from us may have been thawed and refrozen many times.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:47 PM

Had this happen to my wife while I was at work one time. She said a guy in a freezer semi truck pulled up and was selling frozen meats of various variety. He gave her a list of the meats/burgers that come in the back, it was a box for like $80 and the total weight was decent, but never mentioned how many of each type or the weight per each. He put an emphasis on that there were tenderloins and ribeyes in the boxes. She said the guy kind of hit on her as well which was kinda creepy. He did not get a sale that day, and we've never seen anything like that again.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:35 PM
Charter Member

I have no doubt that the situation described herein is a scam. However, there is a guy with a truck who shows up every few weeks not far from me with seafood from much farther south, and the word is he is most certainly legitimate, at least as far as having safe, reasonably priced food that you can't get anywhere else. The only difference is this guy has been around at the same place for many years and everyone knows him.

I think he merely loads up his truck at the coastal wholesale market and drives 500-1000 miles to where fresh seafood access is much more difficult. He can compete with the large grocery stores since he has less overhead and faster delivery.

So not every "guy with a truck" is a scam, but I imagine most are.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

What the OP describes is quite obviously a scam. FWIW, there are companies that sell frozen goods for home delivery (most notably Schwan's). They deliver stuff from a refrigerated truck, and if nobody is home they leave goods in a box/or bag kept frozen with gel packs. Their business model is predicated on getting you onto a regular delivery schedule. They're not going to re-sell your order to someone else.

The meat truck scam is based on convincing you that circumstances have conspired to give you a great deal, and creating a sense of urgency so that you make a decision before you've had time to think about it. It's no different from the "leftover asphalt" scam or others straight out of the con man playbook.

99% of the time you should assume that a door-to-door salesman is a crook.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

As everyone else has said, I'd be very wary of the quality of the meat and the conditions it was kept in. I'm not sure if it would fit the legal definition of a scam in that you could get them in trouble, or anything, but it's certainly shady and only a sucker would fall for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudden Kestrel View Post
We also get the "aeriel" photo guy every few years who tries to sell us a framed, laminated picture of our property taken from the hill across the road. It's only $400, but so far I've been able to resist.
What?! That's hilarious! Is this a thing? Or is this just something local to you?
Old 12-06-2011, 02:17 PM

I sort of got taken in by one of these meat truck dudes once. I was a confirmed pescetarian at the time, but he had shrimp and fish on his truck as well. I asked if it was local -- I'm only 30 miles from the Gulf of Mexico, so any seafood that wasn't caught today is already about four hours too old for me. He insisted all his shrimp was local Gulf shrimp. I bought some and paid with a check. Off he drove. A while later, I'm inspecting the box and notice that the shrimp I bought was fresh in Thailand about two weeks ago. Og only knows how many times it had thawed and been refrozen by the time it got to me. Ew.

I called the guy (who'd left a card) and politely asked him to come pick up the shrimp -- still frozen -- and return my check as I did not want the produce anymore. If he's a legitimate business, this won't be a problem, will it?

He didn't return my calls (note: calls. I made many attempts to get back up with him.) until I stopped payment on the check. Then he called me back, "Why did you stop payment?" "Well, I attempted to contact you to return the product because you lied. You said it was local and the box clearly states it's from Asia. That is unacceptable, especially given the price. You can come and pick up your still-frozen product, but if you don't I'm pitching it in the trash."

I vaguely recall that, after much whining and cajoling and a little more lying, the dude finally caved in and picked up his natty refrozen shrimp. Totally worth the stop-payment fee.

I have a strict "I don't buy anything that comes to me" policy now. Not even Girl Scout cookies. If I want the product, I will find it all by myself. I probably don't want anything that magically appears at my doorstep.
Old 12-06-2011, 02:17 PM

You can pretty much guarantee that anyone coming to your door and offering you a good deal because they were already working in the neighborhood is a scammer. As others have noted, it is done to create a sense of urgency and to cover up the fact that they are just going door-to-door cold calling, and to give the impression that your neighbor trusts the workmanship/goods/service so you should too.
Old 12-06-2011, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevbo View Post
You can pretty much guarantee that anyone coming to your door and offering you a good deal because they were already working in the neighborhood is a scammer.
To put it another way, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Words to live by.
Old 12-06-2011, 02:25 PM

Chances are the meat was stolen, or couldn't be sold under regulations, if it exists. One scam is to offer a freezer full of meat, which they will neatly carry in and pack in your freezer down in the basement, carefully following your direct instructions on how to place everything in the freezer, while one of the their confederates ransacks your home. Don't expect to find real meat in the freezer either. Or they might just be checking to see if you have cash on you before they hit you on the head and take it. The odds of coming out of this situation intact are pretty low.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:50 PM
Charter Member

These are the kind of guys who would be carnies in the old days.

I miss the circus.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:59 PM
Charter Member

Look, they're not going to conduct a home invasion robbery. If they wanted to pull a home invasion, they'd just pull a home invasion. This is exactly what it sounds like--a guy going door to door trying to sell you overpriced dubious meat by tricking you into thinking you're getting a great deal that's only available if you act now.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:28 PM

Infected meat does not necessarily look rotten or otherwise decayed, it can and has killed people.

If meat has been frozen and then thawed out, it should never be refrozen.

If this is what has been sold to you at the door then you might not live to regret it.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpalCat View Post
What?! That's hilarious! Is this a thing? Or is this just something local to you?
I don't know. He's been here twice. The first time I was home alone and it was just after we moved in, so I didn't know if he was a neighbor or a local businessman. I told him I'd have to talk to my husband and kept the black-and-white photocopy he showed me of our "aerial" photo. The last time was just a year ago and he caught my husband out in the yard. My husband pointed out to him where the camera operator stood to take the photo, laughed at him, then said we weren't interested and sent him on his way.

I did ask one of my neighbors about him after the first incident and the neighbor didn't know anything about it.

With that profit margin, I suppose it's worth it to drive around a bit and try to make random sales, but I think I could hire somebody to fly me over to take my own actual aerial photo for less than $400!
Old 12-06-2011, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, probably you could. But why you would want to... I mean I guess if you had "an estate" type of home an aerial view might be the kind of thing you'd want a framed print of... but for your average house in the suburbs or along a rural street? And even less so if you're in a city! Just seems like an odd thing to sell!
Old 12-06-2011, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

And doesn't Google have pretty good satelite photos?
Old 12-06-2011, 06:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMalion View Post
And doesn't Google have pretty good satelite photos?
Not good enough for a reasonable-sized enlargement (8"x10" and up), in my opinion. If you're the type of person who wants to buy an aerial photo of your property, you're probably going to want to print it up fairly big, I would think. Now why people want these photos? Your guess is as good as mine. Some people apparently like good pictures of their stuff. There are companies who cater to this.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:22 PM
Charter Member

I have experienced the 'meat from truck' pitch.

I was grilling in the alley at my former residence (far NW side of Chicago) three or four years ago. A man with a (guessing) Polish or Russian accent pulled up in a beater minivan and asked if I'd like to buy some meat, cheap. He opened the side door and I recoiled at the horrible stench of ... rotting meat. The floor of his van was covered in stained packer boxes. No way was he going to move any meat in this manner.

Honestly, it smelled so terrible, it was comical.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:42 PM

Some guy cold called us years ago. There was no story; he sold meat and sea food off his truck. We tried a box. It was good. Filet steaks, salmon, scallops, all top quality at a reasonable price. A story like, "I couldn't deliver" would have warned us off. Now he shows up maybe once a month and we buy stuff from him. He has changed suppliers a could of times when he felt their quality was going down.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenBeam View Post
We're getting a delivery today from Omaha Meats. I'm assuming a Christmas present, but I'm not sure. They called about a week ago to let us know the day they'd be delivering, to be sure someone is home, and to give us time to make room in our freezer.

Fortunately my wife can be home, or else they'd just sell it to the neighbors, apparently.
Omaha Meats is not the same as this. Omaha is a legit company. Pretty decent cuts of meat (still overpriced, of course). Some of the sides they sell are very good. But they're a legit company, and definitely not in the same scam as the ones being talked about here.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:05 PM

Would I buy it? Neigh-he.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnglmassiv View Post
I have experienced the 'meat from truck' pitch.

I was grilling in the alley at my former residence (far NW side of Chicago) three or four years ago. A man with a (guessing) Polish or Russian accent pulled up in a beater minivan and asked if I'd like to buy some meat, cheap. He opened the side door and I recoiled at the horrible stench of ... rotting meat. The floor of his van was covered in stained packer boxes. No way was he going to move any meat in this manner.

Honestly, it smelled so terrible, it was comical.
Geez, that's so totally awful it makes me think the man may have had some mental and/or substance abuse problems. It's hard to fathom anyone in a rational, clear-headed state of mind actually attempting this, much less thinking anyone would pay money for what is clearly garbage (no hyperbole).
Old 12-06-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambivalid View Post
Geez, that's so totally awful it makes me think the man may have had some mental and/or substance abuse problems. It's hard to fathom anyone in a rational, clear-headed state of mind actually attempting this, much less thinking anyone would pay money for what is clearly garbage (no hyperbole).
It's worse than you think. The meat in those boxes was... PEOPLE!
Old 12-06-2011, 08:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anamorphic View Post
Omaha Meats is not the same as this. Omaha is a legit company. Pretty decent cuts of meat (still overpriced, of course). Some of the sides they sell are very good. But they're a legit company, and definitely not in the same scam as the ones being talked about here.
Yes, I know. The last line was a joke.

The meat came today. The delivery guy just left it on our porch and didn't even ring the doorbell (although our dog was barking, so my wife knew he had come). So he wouldn't even have known if we weren't home, to try to do what the OP's scammers were claiming. (They were packed in a thick-walled styrofoam cooler, packed with dry ice.)
Old 12-06-2011, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Not good enough for a reasonable-sized enlargement (8"x10" and up), in my opinion. If you're the type of person who wants to buy an aerial photo of your property, you're probably going to want to print it up fairly big, I would think. Now why people want these photos? Your guess is as good as mine. Some people apparently like good pictures of their stuff. There are companies who cater to this.
Some of my family, who live in rural areas, have paid for photos like that. I haven't a clue what they paid but the end result was pretty good, especially years later. And a few of them have bought updated ones 20 or more years later. It's a nice before and after set up.

The last guy who tried selling me anything door to door was a traveller guy who was smoking a cigarette. He tried to sell me pillows, and when I wasn't interested he tried to throw them in the door at me. It was quite surreal.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:28 PM
Charter Member

I was in a bar with one of those "fashion shows" where ladies in their undies sold tickets for a drawing. Fellow walked up and asked if I wanted to buy some sausage. I thought this was an unlikely place to find customers for such a transaction, but it turns out he meant meat.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anamorphic View Post
My mom lives in AZ but spends her summers at the family lake house in NH. Two summers ago at the end of the year she had several steaks and burgers left over from, I think, Omaha Meats. My husband, son, and I live in the Boston area, so it was easy for her to drop this shit off at our house on her way to the airport, to keep until next summer!!! Which we did, in the bottom of our freezer... kind of grossing me out (my son and I are vegetarians) and wondering when it would go bad. But the following summer when she arrived she collected it all and ate it that summer. So is it true that Omaha Meats can last a YEAR in a regular fridge??? that seemed so unnatural to us! But what do we know? We don't eat meat!
Old 12-06-2011, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Gadaí View Post
Some of my family, who live in rural areas, have paid for photos like that. I haven't a clue what they paid but the end result was pretty good, especially years later. And a few of them have bought updated ones 20 or more years later. It's a nice before and after set up.
My ex's parents, from Co. Carlow, have a large aerial photo of their farm framed on the wall from this kind of source. They are very happy with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Gadaí
The last guy who tried selling me anything door to door was a traveller guy who was smoking a cigarette. He tried to sell me pillows, and when I wasn't interested he tried to throw them in the door at me. It was quite surreal.
I had a very similar experience when living in Cabra. This is the kind of anecdote that is so stereotypical that people tend not to believe it.

He wanted €16 for the pair. I liked the pillows but told the guy I didn't have any money, which was true. He went and had a chat with his wife and returned asking the immortal line:

"Have you any auld tea?"

I did indeed, so I ended up swapping an unopened box of 40 Barry's Red Label teabags for two rather nice pillows, that I used for the next seven years.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:01 PM

Quote:
My ex in-laws have 5 or 6 nice aerial photos of their farm, each taken maybe 5 years apart. I always liked looking at them and seeing the changes to the land and buildings over the years. I think they told me that the guys who took them would get orders in advance from the neighborhood when they were going to be doing the flyovers. For a normal urban or suburban house I don't really see the appeal but for a working farm it's pretty neat.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:12 PM
Charter Member

Believe it or not, we've had this question before. Even the same time of year -- right around Christmas, interestingly enough.

Edited to add: and Bearflag70 posted in that one, too!

Last edited by choie; 12-06-2011 at 09:15 PM..
Old 12-06-2011, 09:29 PM

Quote:
So is it true that Omaha Meats can last a YEAR in a regular fridge??? that seemed so unnatural to us! But what do we know? We don't eat meat!
It's certainly not at its best quality after a year in a freezer, but it won't kill anyone. Stuff that stays truly frozen will have halted bacterial growth, but there's no stopping the enzymes in the meat (or any other food) from slowly breaking down over time. The USDA recommends 4-12 months maximum freezing time for the best quality of steaks.

Last edited by Ferret Herder; 12-06-2011 at 09:30 PM..
Old 12-06-2011, 09:41 PM

Quote:
I suppose that might be interesting for some of the larger properties, maybe a Century Farm or something, but our place is just 5 acres. We can see it all from our upstairs windows for free. I wouldn't have paid that price for an actual aerial photograph, but the whole idea of the faux aerial photo is what made it so laughable.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:46 PM

Quote:
So is it true that Omaha Meats can last a YEAR in a regular fridge??? that seemed so unnatural to us! But what do we know? We don't eat meat!
You said you put it in the freezer, right? Then sure, it's good for a year. Anything will last a year in the freezer, if it's vacuum sealed in heavy duty plastic the way Omaha steaks are.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
I was in a bar with one of those "fashion shows" where ladies in their undies sold tickets for a drawing. Fellow walked up and asked if I wanted to buy some sausage. I thought this was an unlikely place to find customers for such a transaction, but it turns out he meant meat.
Hmmm. Was this in ABQ? I used to hang out at a microbrewery tap room. One of the regulars made sausage in his kitchen. Pretty much sold it by word of mouth, but once a week he would bring in a grill and sell "sandwiches". ('till another regular siced the health department on him...the asshole) Everyone was pretty dubious until they tried it. REALLY good. The guy had an Italian surname I can't recall, but nobody else knew it either. He was just "Joe Sausage".

After the deal with the Health Department, he was able to build an approved commercial kitchen, and is doing OK between that and his dog training work. A rather eclectic fellow, our Joe. While he was working on the kitchen, sausage deals would have looked a lot like drug deals to the uninformed.

Now I've got the Jones for some Joe's sausage!
Old 12-07-2011, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm not sure if it would fit the legal definition of a scam in that you could get them in trouble, or anything, but it's certainly shady and only a sucker would fall for it.
Most municipalities require you to be licensed to sell door-to-door. Many states require you to be licensed to sell meat. The Federal Trade Commission requires that door-to-door salesmen notify you in writing about how to cancel the order, with a form that includes their contact info. If the meat is expired or has otherwise been re-labelled, that likely constitutes fraud. And of course, there's a good likelihood the stuff is stolen.

... all kinds of ways to get them in trouble.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello Again View Post
You said you put it in the freezer, right? Then sure, it's good for a year. Anything will last a year in the freezer, if it's vacuum sealed in heavy duty plastic the way Omaha steaks are.
Ok, yes they were heavy duty plastic. I've had recipes before that said, for example "good for 2 weeks in the fridge or 3 months in the freezer" so I figured stuff still went bad in the freezer, just more slowly. I was just surprised that something like meat could last so long.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anson2995 View Post
Most municipalities require you to be licensed to sell door-to-door. Many states require you to be licensed to sell meat. The Federal Trade Commission requires that door-to-door salesmen notify you in writing about how to cancel the order, with a form that includes their contact info. If the meat is expired or has otherwise been re-labelled, that likely constitutes fraud. And of course, there's a good likelihood the stuff is stolen.

... all kinds of ways to get them in trouble.
(Both boldings mine) The bolded parts make me very glad.