The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > The Game Room

Old 02-26-2012, 08:38 PM

I also uploaded my 2010 Nissan 370Z today. I needed it to be competitive in A class for a career event, but I wanted to upgrade braking and handling before I touched the powertrain.

Um. I think I screwed up. It's the scariest car I've driven in the game. Of course, I never shut off the nannies in Forza 3, so I'm learning to drive without TCS and with a manual transmission. My first race in it was at the Bernese Alps, and it would not stay straight at all. I didn't realizwe that the car had a 6th gear until the end, as I never got to that point. Scary, scary, scary.
Advertisements  
Old 02-28-2012, 10:12 PM
Charter Member

11:44.746

That's the time I put up for a bone stock 1978 Mustang King Cobra on the full Fujimi Kaido course. Almost 4 minutes off my Über-Pinto time. That car is a dog, yet it has its own redeeming values. I thought its handling was pretty good, I was sliding it around like a champ, controlled, lurid slides all over the place. However, the Flintmobile has more power, and as appearance goes the only car uglier than that in that era was the AMC Matador coupe.

Speaking of which, wouldn't that be the best DLC ever, the AMC pack? Who doesn't want to try to ace people with a Gremlin or build a sleeper Pacer? Aside from the Matador coupe I am an unabashed AMC fan. Give me the AMC pack and the pre-Golf air-cooled VW pack and I'll be happy for a very long time.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

Invites have been sent, and Doors, I sent you a friend request....

and now, my times on some of the new and updated club cars

Lute Skywatcher's Killer Rabbit 2.0;

Kaido B; 3:00 flat
Kaido new hillclimb; 5:16
TGTT; 1:21!
Nice tuning job, KR 2.0 is sharp, precise, and I can steer it with the rear wheels now, much more tail-happy little car, and gobs of fun, still a bit of front understeer in the hairpins though, but all told a far better tune job

Interestingly enough, the Ghost Car on Kaido new hillclimb was none other than Little Crazy Horse, my heavily upgraded Ford Pinto, up until around 25-35% in we were leapfrogging, but once we got into the steep twisty hillclimbs, LCH just took off like a shot and left KR 2.0 in the dust, I was having a bit of understeering problem in the twisties, and the engine was still spinning the rears with too much power...

On the TGTT, once again, KR 2.0 met up with The Ghost of Little Crazy Horse....
Talk about a close race!, KR has a definite edge in off the line acceleration, easily staying a half to a full car length ahead of LCH, but it's in the corners that LCH shines, where KR tends to float, slide, and understeer through the corners (I'm sure it's the setup of the AWD system, I was fighting the same tendencies on LCH), LCH just sneaks in, ducks under the tight inside line and zips ahead, as long as there are no straightaways his lead is safe, as he is tuned for the corners, in a straight line drag I think that KR has a slight edge

the TGTT was basically a game of leapfrog the whole time, and KR basically won by a nose
Superb tuning job on KR, Lute
I uploaded a video of KR2.0 on the TGTT to my Forza storefront

And wmulax93's additions to the club;

starting off with the Nissan 370Z...
Kaido B; 3:15
TGTT; 1:25

On Kaido B the 370Z was remarkably docile, well damped, and had a nice, solid, heavy feel to it, I found nothing scary about it, in fact, it seemed very mild mannered, sure, in tight switchbacks the rear end could get a bit lively with rapid direction changes, especally if you gave it too much welly, but nothing horribly uncontrollable, in fact I found it enhanced handling and cornering nicely

Then again, I'm a big fan of rear wheel drive cars, and this behavior is typical of any big powerful rear drive vehicle, if you're primarily used to front drive cars I can see how this could be intimidating at first, so here's a friendly recommendation, go buy an inexpensive rear wheel drive car, a Miata, or even, dare i say it, a Ford Pinto (don't laugh, it handles really nicely and doesn't even explode in the game, so it's far safer than the real thing...), choose a favorite track or two (Fuji Kaido section B and Top Gear test track) and learn them both inside and out, rear drives handle corners differently than front drivers, and starting off with a low powered rear drive car gets you used to their mannerisms

On the TGTT, the 370Z was an absolute pussycat to drive, controlled, poised, and smooth, with just enough oomph to break the rear end free but not to get out of control, I also uploaded a vid of this car to my Forza storefront

Mustang Mach I
Kaido B; 3:16
TGTT; 1:31

On Kaido, one word sums up the Mach I....Heavy! you can definitely feel the weight of this car on the road, overall it's not a bad setup though provided you work with the chassis dynamics, don't carry too much speed into the corners or you'll deal with weight-related understeer, and feather the throttle though the corners or you'll spin out due to throttle oversteer, once I got a handle on the dynamics, treat it like a big, heavy car, it did okay up Kaido B, if you wanted to set it up for twisty road courses though, I'd look at shedding some weight off the car first

On the TGTT, again, the sheer mass of the Mach 1 works against it, that and the '70s era suspension, it felt like a big, heavy marshmallow, a *powerful* big, heavy marshmallow, but, it's not a fair comparison anyway, as you said, the car is set up for straight line drag races, not road courses or race tracks, still, a fun car to blast around in, and I saved a TGTT replay of this one too
Old 03-01-2012, 12:58 PM

I can't wait to get home and see the vids of someone with actual skill driving those. I watched Top Gear US last night, and I'd liken my driving to Adam's (before Boris Said taught him to drive the Ariel Atom). I'm not awful, but I'm in no way trained to race. I spent all of that time with TCS on and an auto trans, and now I'm struggling with handling the car the way it would really react.

I remember Clarkson driving the 370Z on Top Gear and just repeatedly using the adjective "nasty" to describe it. That's how it felt to me: powerful, but willing to bite me for any little mistake. The car made the rewind button my friend!

On a different note, for some reason the game gave me credit for beating you in the TGTT challenge, but your ghost car finished at least two seconds ahead of mine. I'm not sure what happened there.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:11 AM

I tried the super light Miata tonight. That was a blast to drive, and much easier than the Zed.

I also threw a supercharger on the Mach 1 and took it to the 1/4 mile drag strip. I got it down to 12.467 seconds, but I feel like it should be faster.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:01 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

So the March car pack is due on the 6th, called the Pirelli pack. The cars?

2011 Aston Martin V12 Zagato
1972 Ferrari #2 Ferrari Automobili 312 P
2012 Ultima GTR
1969 Chevrolet Nova SS 396
2010 Renault Clio RS
1966 Ford Country Squire
1995 BMW 850 CSi
1986 Alfa Romeo GTV-6
2011 Wiesmann GT MF5
1969 Chevrolet Corvair Monza

I'm not ashamed to admit that the car on this list that I have absolutely lusted after is the Corvair. Ever since I read Unsafe At Any Speed I have wanted a post-1964 Corvair. Hell, I'd take a pre-1964 Corvair, but the late-model coke bottle styling is more appealing to me. I'll probably buy two, one to trick it out and the other to keep stock.

The Country Squire is an odd inclusion, but that should be interesting as well. Strangely, none of the high-performance cars do it for me, the reason being that I absolutely suck in Category A or higher races. I can't explain it, it's not like my reactions are that bad, but I get repeatedly dusted off every time I run one. The computer blocks me or brake-checks me and POW!, my motor is shot. I get in the lead and suddenly the brakes don't work anymore or I get kicked off-course and end up sideways. It's all very frustrating, so I avoid the ludicrous-speed cars except in free play and stick to the old school dogs.

The real shame is that they couldn't come to a deal with EA over Porsche. I'd love to run a 356 or a 914 in this game. Instead all we get is Ruf 911 mods that EA couldn't be bitches about. Oh, well. I can't wait to see the build I can give the Corvair. The best part? With Level 5 affinity with Chevrolet most of it will be free.

Last edited by MsRobyn; 03-02-2012 at 07:02 PM.. Reason: Derpty-derp. STILL sharing computers. -Airman
Old 03-02-2012, 07:19 PM
Uncharted
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRobyn View Post
The real shame is that they couldn't come to a deal with EA over Porsche. I'd love to run a 356 or a 914 in this game. Instead all we get is Ruf 911 mods that EA couldn't be bitches about.
This is the main reason that I also picked up Forza 3 Ultimate.

I, too, am looking forward to the Country Squire. One of the first cars I remember riding in was my dad's '71 Ranch Wagon.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:51 PM
Uncharted
Charter Member

Good news! If you have yet to see the message from Turn 10, Porsches are coming in May!
Old 03-06-2012, 08:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lute Skywatcher View Post
Good news! If you have yet to see the message from Turn 10, Porsches are coming in May!
Yeah, I saw that. I wonder what happened that EA finally gave in since they were dead-set against it trying to protect the NFS brand. I'll bet Turn 10 put the boots to them about Ferrari, which they have the rights to. Anyway, I want to see a 356 of some sort, a 914 (either the 6 or the VoPo), and the Panamera.

I downloaded the Pirelli pack and immediately went to work. I did a lap around Laguna Seca with the Corvair, and damned if it wasn't the tail-happiest car that ever was. I was waiting for it to flip or blow a tire, but it apparently didn't get the Nader mod. The tail got even happier after I gave it 975 horses, 800+ pound-feet of torque, and all the other go-fast goodies. Did it ever.

Also took the stock Country Squire for a ride on the full Fujimi Kaido course. The time? A mind-numbing 11:22.196. It couldn't turn, steer or accelerate, but at least it was slow. And yet, it beat the stock King Cobra by a full 22 seconds. Either I'm getting really good or the King Cobra is really that bad. I'll run it again and see what happens.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:31 PM
Charter Member

OK, it's official. The Ford Mustang King Cobra is the biggest dog of all time. By far. You may argue that the Pinto is, but the Pinto never made any pretense at being a sports car, or even sporty. It was an econo-shitbox, period. But the King Cobra, with its scoops, gaudy decals and 5.0 V-8 was supposed to be the Ford flag-bearer, right?

Revised King Cobra lap, doing everything I could do to squeeze time out of it, came in at a devastating 11:32.315. It was spanked by the Country Squire. In the downhill it was a hoot, I tossed it around like last time. But the uphill? It would have gone faster if someone had pushed it up the hill, I think. It got beat by a 3-ton 1960s station wagon that would cover the entire road if it went sideways.

How in the hell did you people ever survive the malaise years? Was there anything good about the '70s? The cars certainly sucked.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:59 PM
Uncharted
Charter Member

I put a race-spec Class S Country Squire in the club garage. Still wants to turn at the wrong time but it really shines on a speedway like Indy. I mean, try to open it up in the last straight on Kaido B and it tries to swap ends!

Last edited by Skywatcher; 03-06-2012 at 10:04 PM..
Old 03-06-2012, 10:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lute Skywatcher View Post
I put a race-spec Class S Country Squire in the club garage. Still wants to turn at the wrong time but it really shines on a speedway like Indy.
It went around Laguna Seca like stink.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:53 PM

Man, I suck at this game. Doors, I just took your Countach around Kaido in 10:36. That seems... Awful.

The King Cobra is terrible. I just have an affinity for it; my parents owned one before I was born, and have told me a few stories about it. It got repossessed because they were too broke to actually afford a new car, but I think that may have been a blessing in disguise.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:07 PM
Uncharted
Charter Member

Turn 10 isn't saying anything about the Porsche DLC other than there will be 30 cars, seven of which have never been in a Forza game.

Being in May, this will not be part of the Season Pass unless it's extended.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 03-07-2012 at 03:08 PM..
Old 03-07-2012, 04:52 PM

How exactly does season pass work? If I buy it today, do I get all of the previous DLC?
Old 03-07-2012, 08:57 PM
Charter Member

Yes, you get all previous DLC except for the launch cars, which you have to pay for. Apparently we will have to pay for the Porsche pack, which is a dick move and probably why they're waiting until May to release it. 1600 MS Points is what I'm seeing it priced at. Not cool, but it is what it is.

If you have the chance in career play, buy the '66 Nova SS. Once you get the hang of driving it you will never lose a Class-D race. It turns solidly, drifts through turns well, and crushes all in the straightaways. Buy it and keep it handy for when you have a track you just can't get past, select it and run the Class-D race they offer and it's done.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:06 PM

I enjoy Forza and would like to join the club. My gamertag is Jazzmanvibratio. I'll send a friend request as soon as I get my hands on the box.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakinyan View Post
I enjoy Forza and would like to join the club. My gamertag is Jazzmanvibratio. I'll send a friend request as soon as I get my hands on the box.
Or... would you send me an invitation? (I thought I should ask to join, but it seems that the club asks me, rather.)

Last edited by Wakinyan; 03-09-2012 at 04:24 PM..
Old 03-10-2012, 06:37 PM
Charter Member

Wakinyan, I tried to send an invite to your XBL gamertag but it says you don't exist...

tried both uppercase and lowercase first letter, no go....

Oh, and I finally picked up a bluetooth headset so we can talk during races and such

The garage is getting awfully packed, I like it, thing is, it's getting hard to try out all the new cars and write out my thoughts on them, plus, I'd like to read some reviews of my cars, go ahead, be as brutal as you like, I can take it , suffice it to say, I *DO* enjoy the wide choice of cars in the SDMB Stigs garage, it's interesting to see how each one of us tunes for our own preferences....

For Example, Doors's Pinto looks to be set up as a drag car, and sounds like it's turbocharged, and it is one *FAST* little bugger, it's easily a 9 second car on the Infineon dragstrip, I can just barely break the 10 second barrier with my Pinto (Little Crazy Horse), but when I take each Pinto up Fuji section B (the Gutless Wonder hillclimb), Doors's Pinto blows me away in the straights, but I carve past his Pinto in the corners, I set up LCH as a twisty road course car, I lose a bit of acceleration, but I shine in the corners

One thing I'm really loving with this club is how there seems to be a "Crap Brigade" forming, dedicated to the, well, less than stellar cars, the Pinto, the King Cobra, the Country Squire (or as I call it, the Wagon Queen Family Truckster )

I also added a few new cars to the garage, the "Rampage" Dodge Charger, an Aston DBS, and my new favorite car, a classic Jaguar E-type, I just upgraded the tires to racing slicks, and dropped a small turbo in to reduce the lag/bog off the line, but I'm leaving everything else stock

There's just something *graceful* about the swooping lines of the E-Type, it just looks *right* and it'd be a sin to butcher it up, besides, the way it just "dances" through the twisties is absolutely beautiful, it's not the most powerful car, but it seems to move and flow far more organically than expected, I use the term "Car Ballet" to describe the way a XKE moves gracefully through the twisties

Give it a try, you'll see what I mean, the XKE is a great classic car

Oh, and I tried both versions of the Country Squire up Fuji B, the Little Red Wagon was a *blast*, but I didn't think the stock model was too bad either, sure it has marshmallowy suspension and very little power, but if you balance the chassis dynamics right, and treat it like a big, squishy pendulum, it doesn't do too badly in stock form
Old 03-10-2012, 09:50 PM

I'd write reviews, but I'm not nearly as good of a driver as you or Doors.

I'm finding something odd in career mode. When I play World Tour, I practically always win as long as I'm racing within my limitations. When I choose from the Event List, however, I can't crack the top 5 in a race, sometimes in a series I just dominated a different race in.

The C class races, and The North America C Class Tour in particular, are really giving me trouble. I'm coming in 8/8 every time, no matter what I drive. Somehow my Ferrari 356 is getting smoked by American battle tanks from the 1960s. It out specs them in every way, I'm driving it perfectly, and I can't catch a freaking Dodge Challenger through corners, let alone on straights.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:07 AM
Uncharted
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTech View Post
Oh, and I tried both versions of the Country Squire up Fuji B, the Little Red Wagon was a *blast*
Thought you'd enjoy that.

I nearly had my first trip up B without a ! in that wagon but nailed the guardrail in the very last turn.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:54 PM

OK, I just took the Mazda MX-5 Superlight up Fuji B in 3:39.

My impressions:

The car has a bad tranny for this track. I was stuck waffling between 2 and 3 for most of the track because of the climbing. It's a very stable car, and easy to drive, but it really lacks some oomph. A better transmission would make this car way more fun to drive.

I just got the season pass, but it didn't give me the March Pirelli Pack with it. I bought a '66 Nova, but haven't been in it yet. I'm working through some club cars tonight.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:39 AM

I don't get the inclusion of trucks and SUVs in the game. I just took the Ram up Fuji B in 3:54 of utter misery. It handles, well, like a truck. No traction, too much power, and no fun to drive.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:41 PM
Charter Member

I've been trying over the past few days to get the Dodge Ram SRT-10 drivable on Kaido B or the TGTT....

It's an exercise in futility, *NOTHING* I do, short of detuning the engine, can get this bloated, understeering, wheel-spinning bastard under control, it's the only vehicle in my garage I actually *HATE*

So, I sold it back to the game, and am now trying my next project truck, the Ford SVT Raptor

I'm still tweaking it, but so far I did 3:04 on Kaido B and 1:24 around TGTT, handling is far more stable than the Ram, still a bit of understeer I need to iron out though, mainly in tight hairpins, have the AWD diff set to a 70/30 power distro, biased to the rear, and 10% accel/decel lock on the front, 75% accel/decel on the rears, I've also shifted the brake bias towards the rear to deliberately induce a tad of oversteer and make it easier to break the rear end free

It's got all the racing upgrades, the 5.4L Ford V8 underhood, with an Eaton twinscrew race supercharger and race intercooler, it's putting out 925 HP and 772 TQ, so feathering the throttlethrough the twisties is essential....

Benchmark numbers;
0-60; 3.9 S
0-100; 8.0 S
Top speed; 193 MPH

.97 lateral G at 60 MPH
.87 at 100 MPH
Old 03-23-2012, 02:49 PM
Charter Member

A few tidbits about the career mode:

First, the last race is a cast-iron bitch. It's the full Nurburgring. I ran it with the Pagani Zonda Cinque, and while it was an absolute hoot I never got more than two car lengths ahead of the guy behind me. If you don't take the turns perfectly 90% of the time you'll lose repeatedly when they bat you out of the way.

Second, the end is disappointing, to say the least. No cinematics, just an achievement and the credits. After all that time and effort I expected something special. Alas, there is nothing.

Last, you get 50 free cars. After Driver Level 50 you get credits and nothing else. That's OK, but it's not like it costs the game anything to throw some cars your way. Fortunately, the credits you get are enough to buy all but the really exotic cars, the really expensive collectibles, or the race-modified cars.

So, what now? I suppose I'll go online and race some people, and I'd like to get a unicorn car eventually, but the bulk of the work is done. I'll probably play through the career again or maybe just hit the Event List.

Incidentally, MacTech, your modified DeLorean is an absolute hoot. If you would be willing I'd love to get the specs on it.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:12 PM
Charter Member

Sure, here's the spec sheet on my little Time Machine;
Benchmark specs;

0-60; 3.5 Sec
0-100; 10.5 Sec
top speed; 196.4 MPH
Braking 60-0; 96.4 Ft
Braking 100-0; 264.3 Ft
Lateral G (60 MPH); 1.11G
Lateral G (120 MPH) 1.08

422 HP / 370 TQ
Rear engine rear drive (stock layout)
3.2L stock motor with Race-Spec Centrifugal Supercharger and Intercooler
All other components race-spec
Max tire width all around
all tuning tweaks at default settings

So it's basically all bolt-ons
Old 03-25-2012, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

Forza 4 actually helped me make a decision in my real-life driving....

I've been getting increasingly sick of my '07 Saturn Ion, it's had a difficult life, in the 4.5 years I've owned it, it has suffered FOUR collisions, the worst one being the first, the first one was partially my fault, but mostly the vehicle the Ion struck was at fault, the incident in question was detailed in this thread

the other accidents? all inattentive drivers, all minor damage, fixed within two weeks, but I'll be honest, I was getting the feeling that the Ion was unlucky, or even "cursed"...

The suspension was mushy and vague, the steering was dead and lifeless, performance was nonexistent, *AND* it had a major thirst for gas as well 25MPG on the low side, 27 on the high side, all hilly back roads with speed limits from 35-45 MPH, I was getting the mileage of a more powerful car, but none of the fun....

To make matters worse, it was going to need new brakes, rotors and tires soon, and the brakes and rotors had only lasted 41,000 miles, horrible performance, my previous Dodge cars, driven on the same roads, with factory pads and rotors, lasted 85,000 miles before they needed to be replaced, truly pathetic performance from the GM parts, these were unexpected expenses I hadn't planned for, and I was getting some belt squeal when turning the engine off, the drivers side door had a faint air leak even with the door closed, and the drivers seat side bolster cushions were worn through against the seat frame structure, to put it mildly, the Ion was aging badly, and more rapidly than I expected....

I've been stopping in once a month at a small independent used car dealer that my family gets their cars from, checking inventory, taking the occasional test drive, hoping to find the *right* car, one that spoke to me, that softly said "take me home"....

I found that car!

a 2007 Sage Green VW Rabbit 2 door hatch with the 2.5L five cylinder engine and 5 speed manual transmission, 61,000 miles, one owner car, all factory maintenance performed at a VW dealer, and it feels as tight and put together as the day it rolled off the production line, on the test drive I couldn't wipe the maniacal grin off my face, the Rabbit was pure, unadulterated *FUN*....

I went back into the dealer, poker face on, said it was okay, but I needed some time to think it over, and I'd know by Monday, we decided to work the numbers, just out of curiosity, in the interim....

I went home, hating the wallowy, marshmallowy ride of the Ion the whole way, went in the house and booted up Forza 4, took the Ion Redline around the Top Gear test track in 1:40, the whole time the car was wallowing and understeering, not fun, the handling was just as vague and imprecise as my real Ion

I then took the VW GTI around the track, in 1:39, essentially the same time, but the difference in handling was quite noticeable, sharp, precise handling, minimal understeer, and no wallowing, it was a hoot to drive

about 45 minutes later, the dealer gave me a call, they had done some magic with the numbers, and were able to get me into the VW for basically what I'm paying for the Ion, and the Rabbit is a far better car than the Ion

I had 3 years left on the Ion loan, and had 41Kish miles on it, on a car with four accidents on the Carfax, the warranty was expired (aside from the powertrain warranty, that is, but i have yet to see a powertrain fail), and I was still paying $209/mo on a car I *HATED*, for three more years....

the Rabbit loan was for five years, on a car with a few more miles (20K more), but the carfax was clean, no damage/recalls/defects or anything, so for about $8 more a month ($217/mo), I get a *FAR* better car, more powerful, more *FUN*, and not cursed with a history of four accidents

It made sense to me, it may not make the most *financial* sense, or *logical* sense (aside from the repaired accidents, the Ion has been 100% reliable, just mundane, boring and blah), but the Rabbit makes me *happy*, wheras the Ion made driving *dull*, boring and dreary

Plus, I love the fact that it's a hatchback, I love hatchbacks, my first two cars were hatches ('88 Ford Escort Pony, '92 Dodge Shadow) and I've always missed the utility of a hatchback

And it's the little things as well, my first car with power windows, with cruise control, an alarm system, those cool "switchblade" keys, and a FULL SIZE SPARE TIRE on a standard steel rim, little cubbyholes and storage bins hiding everywhere, a 12V power outlet in the hatch area for tailgate camping, a front passenger seat that can be laid back down flat, increasing the storage area, it's just got so many little nice touches

Goodbye Ion, I'm sorry you had such a rough life, it wasn't fair, and hello Rabbit
Old 03-28-2012, 05:53 PM
Charter Member

So I'm working my way through the Event List. Man, it is tedious. Multiple races abound within each category, so what looks like one race turns into as many as 12 when you hit the group championships. There must be damn near 300 races, and you have to buy a ton of cars. All that for the Bucket List achievement. Most of the achievements are pretty easy, but the Unicorn Hunter one is impossible unless you played Forza 3 or got in early with the VIP package (which I didn't).

I'll keep plugging away, but I am growing to hate Silverstone and the Hockenheimring, two fairly technical tracks that seem to reappear with every event. Check that, I do hate those tracks. Lots of tight, slow turns with lots of opportunity to lose at the end, making you have to run them yet again. Fortunately you can lower the difficulty, at the expense of bonus points, but at least then the race is over.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:27 PM
Charter Member

The Alpinestars car pack is due out on Tuesday. Here are the cars that will be released:

2011 Mercedes-Benz #35 Black Falcon SLS AMG GT3
2011 Aston Martin #009 Aston Martin Racing AMR One
2012 Jaguar XKR-S
1995 BMW M5
2011 Maserati Quattroporte Sport GT S
1985 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE
1972 Mercedes-Benz 300 SEL 6.3
1997 Volvo 850 R
2012 Scion tC
1959 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible

The last one has all kinds of absurd written all over it. A bespoke 3-ton convertible with fins that a stegosaurus could be proud of (the largest to ever appear on a mass-produced car), sprung softly so as to not spill a drop of the optional perfume when your lady uses it, about 30 feet long... you get the idea. And I'm going to buy it, run it through the twisties, and then completely trick it out and do it again. Yeah.

I was going through the Event List and came across something that ended up being all kinds of fun: Prototype oval racing. I found out very quickly that prototypes should not be raced on ovals. Even the slightest ding wrecks the aerodynamics. The bad part is that it becomes extremely difficult to turn. The good part is that it turns into a demolition derby. Admittedly, I had the AI difficulty on medium, but cars were flying all over the track and I was ducking and dodging for my life. I have it saved if you want to see how wild it really gets. The one I saved, the race at Sonoma, was by far the craziest race I've ever been a part of, bar none.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:38 AM
Charter Member

I just ran the full Fujimi Kaido course with the 1959 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz convertible. My time?

11:27.450

The ghost of my King Cobra Mustang never caught me. I beat it by nearly 5 seconds. I keep harping on this because it's just so horrible. There is no worse car in the game.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:54 AM

I've been too busy to play, but I'm looking forward to downloading this new pack and driving that Caddy.

Doors, seriously? 5 seconds?! God, that Mustang II was an awful car.

Also, I need to beat you at the Top Gear challenge. I got within .150 - I had you the whole race until the last two corners. You came inside, whereas I took the outer line with some drift. I lose too much speed through there.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:21 AM
Uncharted
Charter Member

I put a Class A '59 in the garage last night. Handles suprisingly well.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:31 PM
Charter Member

OK...

I just had the greatest glitch in history happen to me. The Forza server went nuts when I was bidding on a car. When I came back to bid my total credits was listed at 999,999,999. No, really.

I continued bidding and it remained at the high number. I'll get back to you about the aftermath, but suffice it to say that if it sticks I'll either be banned for glitching that I am not responsible for or you have the opportunity to ask me for any car your heart desires.

Additionally, I just got a SLR Stirling Moss for less than 130,000 credits. A million credit car. Apparently it's not in high demand.

Last edited by Airman Doors, USAF; 04-17-2012 at 10:34 PM..
Old 04-18-2012, 12:35 PM

As someone mentioned earlier in this thread, my husband and I found that using the wireless wheel makes a HUGE difference. We were having trouble getting into driving with our thumbs on a little button....put a WHEEL in our hands and now we are in business! We are totally hooked on this game, both are doing careers but we also do a lot of racing each other with two AI opponents. The game comes up in conversation while driving on actual roads ("Look! I passed that guy with NO damage!") (all in jest, of course...). We messed up and got the Xbox with the smallest memory capacity and that is hindering some things for us....how did we know we would get so hooked on this game???
Old 04-21-2012, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

Really, nobody wants a free car? That's a shame.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:53 PM

I think I'm set for now. I'm still at level 31, and I don't see anything that I need yet.

I'd like to say that I hate, hate, hate the "Chase a car through traffic on a twisty, narrow track" races in the world tour. The AI traffic cars intentionally block during those races, which is ridiculous; no one in a Golf is cutting off a GT40 on the Ring. That would lead to two dead drivers, quickly.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:23 PM
Charter Member

If the car hasn't been claimed, I'll take it

Ever since I got my real life '07 VW Rabbit (AKA a Mk. V Golf), I've been spending more time driving for fun out in the MeatWorld, the graphics are infinitely better, even though there's no Rewind feature or Affinity discounts…

Added two more fun cars to the garage;
'72 Mercedes 300 SEL 6.3, lightly upgraded, mainly suspension tweaks and stickier tires
'87 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am GTA, black, with black Turbo rims… yes, it's as close as I could get to KITT, no red scanner bar on the front, though , heavily upgraded, all race mods, and twin turbos, pushing all that horsepower to the rear wheels, it's a handful with the nannies off
Old 04-24-2012, 08:43 AM
Charter Member

Other than chasing pipe dreams of buying Unicorns in the Auction House I have more than I know what to do with. Everybody can have themselves a car (or two, or three). There are a couple of really high-priced cars that you need for achievements. Want them? Tell me what you want or need.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

New release: the Top Gear May Car Pack. Included in the cars is an AMC Pacer. Being an avowed AMC fan, I got one and put it to work on the full Fujimi Kaido course.

Results? 11:54.8, by far the slowest car I have yet driven on the course. However, it has a character all its own. Who would expect great things from an overweight, underpowered fishbowl, anyway? good thing, too, because great things were not forthcoming. I might have just touched 50 in a flat on the uphill section. Mostly I was in the 30-40 range the whole time. Downhill, however, was fun. As wide as it is it has stability out the wazoo, and it gave a solid performance down low.

I'll take it any time over the King Cobra.

As far as this pack goes, there is some debate whether or not it actually is free, as it says. The debate centers over the nature of the Season Pass and whether or not this one is included. We already got six packs, which is what the Season Pass is supposed to be good for. Also, it's glitching when you attempt to download it through the Marketplace, asking for a ludicrous number of MS points. So, here's what you do:

1) Go to your xBox dashboard.
2) Look up the Free 2012 Chrysler 300 SRT-8
3) Download

The pack comes automatically.

If it turns out that we do have to pay, I'll do so willingly. I wanted the Pacer, and they provided. It's worth it. Next up is the Porsche pack on the 22nd, and that we will have to pay for.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

Doors, thanks for the info about grabbing the car pack.

I grabbed the pack and immediately started messing with the Pacer X.

Behold the 659-HP beast outrunning a Reventon and everything else in an S-class race! It's an S-647 now, and that included an engine swap from the Javelin-AMX followed by every upgrade possible. She goes like stink and is stable in the twisty parts. She hits the rev limiter in 6th gear at 157 mph, so on loooon straightaways some of the more modern cars might catch up, but you can more than make up for that with the low-end acceleration.

And yes, I painted it yellow and tinted the windows yellow as well. Because if you're going to get humiliated by a Pacer it's even better when it's yellow!
Old 05-01-2012, 02:07 PM
Charter Member

As it turns out, the pack is supposed to go for $7. I'll pay it as soon as they get around to letting me pay it.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:03 PM
Charter Member

Agreed.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:15 PM
Charter Member

Yaay! More Gutless Wonders!

Doors, you were right about the pacer, it may be slow, but it has character and handles great!

My time up Kaido B in the Pacer, first time I've driven it in the game, and of course with all nannies off, yes, even including ABS, was a thoroughly underwhelming 4:12, but it tracked well and felt solid, I will definitely add the "Mirthmobile" to my garage

Reviews in the Gutless Wonder thread
Old 05-04-2012, 10:02 AM
Uncharted
Charter Member

Mac, you have got to take my Class-B Smart up Kaido B. Just watch out for those hairpins, she tends to get airborne and not in a good way.

That Class-S Ford Transit is a hoot! How often do you see a van smoke Ford GTs?
Old 05-06-2012, 12:56 AM
Uncharted
Charter Member

That Toyota 2000GT Time Trial livery is my most ambitious yet! And my storefront is the only one selling 'em.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:21 AM
Charter Member

Lute, I took your modded Smart up Fuji B, what a handful it was! Making it faster majorly increased it's propensity for ground looping, I think that the Smart is one of the rare cars in the game that simply CANNOT be improved, sure, you can make it faster in a straight line, but the fundamental chassis and handling flaws remain.

My nephew spent a few quality hours in the game on Saturday evening, worked his way up the ranks from level two to Level eight now, and even better, he did so with all the nannies except ABS turned off, we're talking a nine year old driving in simulation mode, no traction control, no stability control, manual transmission, and with the in game music turned off, so he can listen to what the engine is telling him.

He started off in his front-drive Saab 99 that in a previous gaming session he had dropped in the V6 into, he was frustrated at how uncontrollable it was, so with my assistance, I talked him through some strategic upgrades, all I did was explained what the parts did and he chose what to do

First thing I had him do was put his original four cylinder engine back in, then try a lap, he saw the car was much more stable and controllable, but still had mushy suspension and body roll, he then put stickier rubber on it, upgraded the suspension, and installed race anti roll bars, the next race he was utterly amazed at how controllable the car had become, and actually won a few races with it

He realized that he should have tightened up the suspension and handling before putting in a bigger motor, the bigger motor was overpowering the stock chassis components

Then he began to wonder about how rear wheel drive cars handled compared to front wheel drive, so he switched over to his stock Mazda Miata, once he took a few practice laps in free play, and got the basics of the chassis dynamics down, he entered some more races, and absolutely slayed his opponents....

Lets just say he's now a really big fan of rear wheel drive cars, and his Miata in particular, he's finally getting good at basic power sliding too, when he went back to his Saab for a few races, the inherent under steering issues of the front wheel drive chassis really frustrated him.

since he loved the Miata so much, he decided to take his Lotus Élan Sprint out for a few free play laps, he loves that car even more than his Miata.

Even better, he's starting to understand how some cars are "just right" in factory form, and how easy it is to wreck the chassis dynamics and balance with indiscriminate upgrades, while he does want to upgrade his Miata "a little bit", he loves the character and dynamics of the Lotus élan so much that he wants to keep it in bone stock form, the only upgrade being grippier racing tires.

It does my heart good seeing him becoming a true petrol head thanks to the game, and it's also making him appreciate true classic cars as well, he's got the urge to add a new car to the garage, and his dilemma?

Does he want an Austin Healy 3000, a Jaguar E-type, or a TVR Sagaris?

I asked him "Logan, what car simply speaks to you, calls to you, makes you feel.... Happy? Trust your feelings, you'll know the right one"

His response?
"we'll, I LOVE the Austin Healy' I mean, it's perfect, but it's just too perfect, and I can't see upgrading it, the E-Type is absolutely gorgeous and there is no angle that it doesn't look good at, it's just as perfect as the Healy, and I can't see upgrading that either, but the TVR, that car is just wrong to begin with, it's insane, so I couldn't make it any worse, I think it would be a fun project car to tweak with, but I just LOVE that Austin Healy"

"so, what one do you want?"

"I can't decide, my heart tells me to get the Healy, my brain tells me to get the TVR"

Logan, such is the dilemma of the petrol head, do you listen to your heart or your mind?…
Old 05-06-2012, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Logan, such is the dilemma of the petrol head, do you listen to your heart or your mind?…
I certainly don't listen to my mind. If I did I wouldn't be such a big fan of AMC, air-cooled Volkswagens, and other oddball stuff. It still annoys me a bit that they have all of these nondescript shitboxes available for purchase but can't be bothered to put an original Beetle in the game. Who says that, really? That car would roll backwards at full throttle on Fujimi Kaido, yet I want one.

Also, MacTech, you never told me what car you wanted.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

Doors, let me check, I'll post you a PM for the car

I finally got my Mirthmobile fully upgraded, race spec everything, PI index of 660, supercharged and intercooled, and in full race kit, it's a pretty darned good car, it doesn't have the sheer unbridled lunacy of Little Crazy Horse, and it still feels a bit heavier than I'd like in the corners, but it has one thing lacking from LCH, stability…

LCH is always on the verge of going out of control, you really need to concentrate when behind the wheel, or much like the TVR's, he'll try to kill you, SuperMirthMobile is far more easygoing, dude…
Old 05-06-2012, 05:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
LCH is always on the verge of going out of control, you really need to concentrate when behind the wheel, or much like the TVR's, he'll try to kill you, SuperMirthMobile is far more easygoing, dude…
So what you're saying is that it's not a thunderbolt of lightning, very very frightening...
Old 05-06-2012, 09:11 PM
Charter Member

Since this thread is active again I'll use this opportunity to savage the Dodge Viper. It is/was a beautiful car in that macho sort of way, but (in the game) even after all the years of development the engine overpowers the car and the handling is crude. Not a single copy of the Viper is genuinely fun to drive. It's work, all work. It's bad enough that you have to grind out the races while working the Event List, but then you hit the Dodge manufacturer R3 races and it's Vipers or nothing. Pure pain. I'll not be driving the Viper ever again after this.