The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Great Debates

Old 12-13-2011, 12:42 AM
Charter Member

Why on earth are switchblades still illegal?

About a month or so ago Wisconsin joined the 21st century and legalized CCW for law abiding citizens. This didn't affect me as I could CCW for almost 30 years.

But here is the point: part of the CCW law includes carrying a concealed knife (why someone would carry a knife as a lethal weapon instead of a gun is beyond me ) but does not include a switchblade knife.

In fact (and this is important) as a police officer even I can NOT carry nor posses a switchblade. Not even on duty. It's a crime. I can carry the firearm of my choice/caliber on or off duty. I and other citizens can own/possess a machine gun and a silencer.

But if I have a switchblade knife, even on duty, I could face prison time. And this is the case in most (not all, but most) states.

WHY?

I wouldn't carry a knife as a weapon, but they sure come in handy for a zillion other things. A switchblade would be even more useful.

Is this just an archaic law that our elected lazy asses have yet to repeal?

Or, is there a legit reason to keep switchblades illegal?
Advertisements  
Old 12-13-2011, 12:46 AM

Isn't it a zero tolerance thing? Rather than create another class of permit-required weapons, why not just make them entirely illegal when reasonable substitutes exist? Knives that open one-handed are legal. There's no unique use for switchblades that justifies an exemption, is there?
Old 12-13-2011, 12:51 AM
Charter Member

NB:
Quote:
The Switchblade Knife Act, (Pub.L. 85-623, 72 Stat. 562, enacted on August 12, 1958, and codified in 15 U.S.C. ßß 1241–1245), prohibits the manufacture, importation, distribution, transportation, and sale of switchblade knives in commercial transactions substantially affecting interstate commerce[51] between any state, territory, possession of the United States, or the District of Columbia, and any place outside that state, territory, U.S. possession, or the District of Columbia. The Act also prohibits possession of such knives on federal or Indian lands or on lands subject to federal jurisdiction. It does not prohibit the ownership or carrying of automatic knives or switchblades inside a state while not on federal property, nor does it prohibit the acquisition or disposition of such knives in an intrastate transaction or an interstate transaction that is noncommercial and/or does not substantially affect interstate comerce (as defined by recent decisions of the U.S. Supreme Court).
Old 12-13-2011, 01:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post

Quoting the law doesn't answer the question.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansel View Post
Isn't it a zero tolerance thing? Rather than create another class of permit-required weapons, why not just make them entirely illegal when reasonable substitutes exist? Knives that open one-handed are legal. There's no unique use for switchblades that justifies an exemption, is there?
So....? Owning a machine gun/silencer or any handgun is alright, but somehow switchblades are a threat to public safety?
Old 12-13-2011, 01:07 AM
Sith Mod

My WAG is that, as the hysteria behind the original law faded, so did a lot of the interest in switchblades among the general public. Since there's not really anyone agitating for the legalization of switchblades, nobody's bothered to repeal the law.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
It's funny you mention that. I have a handful of knives similar to this that I've picked up at Home Depot/Harbor Freight that I always thought were illegal. I used to be under the impression that the little pin (next to the hinge) is what made them illegal since it allows you to open them one handed. Hell, even without the pin, some knife hinges are loose enough (and lock into place) that a flick of the wrist opens them.

Do switchblade laws cover butterfly knives?
I wonder if swichblade laws have something to do with gangs or who used to commonly carry them. Just a carryover from 50's that was never repealed.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:37 AM

Nightsticks are illegal at least in CA and NV. So I can grab a stout branch, trim it down nice, and keep it and it is okay. But a soon as it is a produced stick, it is legal.

Nunchaku are also illegal in many places. This is likely a direct result of the "ninjas are badasses who can kill anyone" and the "kids will kill their siblings imitating ninjas" scares of the 80s. A similar mentality let to Mitsurugi being given blond hair in Soul Blade in the UK, because white people don't count as samurai. The thing is, any person who buys nunchaku or shuriken off of "eBay" is more likely to harm himself than any victim, and would turn to a weapon that is actually easy to use if he wanted to harm someone.

Most knives are legal in places I know as long as they don't have a gravity-assisted open. So a little knob on the side of the blade that you push with your thumb is ok. Balisongs/Butterfly knifes are often illegal. I'm not sure what category they are, but usually also under "awesome but impractical."
Old 12-13-2011, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbites View Post
Quoting the law doesn't answer the question.
It wasn't meant to. 'NB' is meant to draw attention to something related to the subject. I thought it would be useful to note the federal law, which does not completely ban possession, just as a baseline.

FWIW, I agree with you that state bans on possession in one's own home are ludicrous. (I also think it's ludicrous that it's a felony in California to have a blowgun.)
Old 12-13-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
So why should switchblades be illegal or permit-requiring at all? As you note, it's perfectly OK to have a knife that opens with one hand via a pin or simple loose hinges, so what makes that spring so dangerous as to be illegal? It's an old law, a carryover from fears about gangs, and it's silly. For what it's worth, I carry a switchblade every day; it's legal in my home state. I mostly use it at work to open boxes, and while I could use a non-spring knife, mine is faster.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:08 AM

To be fair, switchblades and gravity-assisted blades are fundamentally different than a knife with a one-hand open lever in that either is faster to open, although the gravity-assist takes a considerable amount of practice to get to that point.

That said, I don't think that difference makes them meaningfully more dangerous than the alternatives, and they're probably still slower than a straight knife that doesn't require opening and, of course, any of those options are substantially less life-threatening than a gun. As such, I don't think the law makes sense, they're probably holdovers from random scares, but there's probably also not enough interest in changing the law to make it politically worthwhile.

Consider if a congressman proposed a law that would remove the federal ban on switchblades. Regardless of party affiliation, he'd be accused of everything from not focusing on the "real" issues facing the country to being weak on crime and Lord knows what else from various family advocacy groups or lobbies focusing on weapons or crime or whatever. It would cost political capital to fix something that not enough people really care about. So, it's unfortunate but, I doubt it will ever happen.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:18 AM

I know wiki isn't always the best cite, but from wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switchblade

Quote:
In 1950, an article titled The Toy That Kills appeared in the Women's Home Companion, a widely read U.S. periodical of the day. The article sparked a storm of controversy and a nationwide campaign that would eventually result in state and federal laws criminalizing the importation, sale, and possession of automatic-opening knives. In the article, author Jack Harrison Pollack assured the reader that the growing switchblade "menace" could have deadly consequence "as any crook can tell you."[16] Pollack, a former aide to Democratic Senator Harley M. Kilgore and a ghostwriter for then-Senator Harry S. Truman, had authored a series of magazine articles calling for new laws to address a variety of social ills. In The Toy That Kills, Pollack wrote that the switchblade was "Designed for violence, deadly as a revolver - thatís the switchblade, the 'toy' youngsters all over the country are taking up as a fad. Press the button on this new version of the pocketknife and the blade darts out like a snakeís tongue. Action against this killer should be taken now."[16] To back up his charges, Pollack quoted an unnamed juvenile court judge as saying: "Itís only a short step from carrying a switchblade to gang warfare."[16]

During the 1950s, established U.S. newspapers as well as the sensationalist tabloid press joined forces in promoting the image of a young delinquent with a stiletto switchblade or flick knife. While the press focused on the switchblade as a symbol of youthful evil intent, the American public's attention was attracted by lurid stories of urban youth gang warfare and the fact that many gangs were composed of disadvantaged youth and/or racial minorities.[17] The obvious offensive nature of the stiletto switchblade combined with reports of knife fights, robberies, and stabbings by youth gangs and other criminal elements in urban areas of the United States generated continuing demands from newspaper editorial rooms and the public for new laws restricting the lawful possession and/or use of switchblade knives.[17] In 1954, the state of New York passed the first law banning the sale or distribution of switchblade knives in hopes of reducing gang violence. That same year, Democratic Rep. James J. Delaney of New York authored the first bill submitted to the U.S. Congress banning the manufacture and sale of switchblades.
The rest basically details how politicians fell over themselves to get "tough" on the problem. And that's why we have another nonsense law.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:19 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
I wouldn't carry a knife as a weapon, but they sure come in handy for a zillion other things. A switchblade would be even more useful.
In what way would a switchblade be even more useful? Outside of having only 2 seconds to cut the red wire(or is it the blue wire?), in what aspect of your life do you need a blade to be available almost instantly?
Old 12-13-2011, 11:26 AM

1) There isn't a National Switchblade Association

2) There isn't a history of people using switchblades for anything but criminal activity.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:28 AM

I've owned a switchblade. I sold it when I cut myself with it.

Oh, and it's not a gang, it's a club.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
In what way would a switchblade be even more useful? Outside of having only 2 seconds to cut the red wire(or is it the blue wire?), in what aspect of your life do you need a blade to be available almost instantly?
Well, with Twitter and other social media, you never know when you'll find yourself in a flash rumble.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Well, you might have to defend your turf, after your dancing skills prove inadequate.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
2) There isn't a history of people using switchblades for anything but criminal activity.
When switchblades are banned, only outlaws will have switchblades.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quoth thelurkinghorror:
Nunchaku are also illegal in many places. This is likely a direct result of the "ninjas are badasses who can kill anyone" and the "kids will kill their siblings imitating ninjas" scares of the 80s.
Which is especially ironic, since the original purpose of the nunchaku was as a weapon that couldn't be banned. If the nobility won't let the commoners use swords, then the commoners, when they need a weapon, carry around agricultural tools like threshing flails instead.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
At accident scenes I've used knives (folding knives) a multitude of times to cut clothing from people or even seat belt straps when I didn't have a 911 tool handy.
A switchblade would just be a bit easier to use.

What I don't get, is if there is a federal law regarding them, why are they legal in a few states? How are they getting around that?
Old 12-13-2011, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
1) There isn't a National Switchblade Association
You beat me to it.

I'd have to imagine the law is still on the books because, as has already been noted, there isn't anyone with any political clout agitating for its repeal. (And, even if there were, an "NSA" would lack one thing that the NRA always trots out: the Second Amendment.)

Last edited by kenobi 65; 12-13-2011 at 01:13 PM..
Old 12-13-2011, 01:39 PM

The new assisted opening knives from Kerhsaw et. al. along with just better quality liner locks makes switchblades less appealing.

I can open my Kershaw 1730 just as fast as my Benchmade Stryker Auto and not have to worry about getting a new shiny pair of bracelets.

...actually the Stryker has a lock on it, I just opened both of them and the Kershaw was faster due to the lack of a lock.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:02 PM

It is often impossible to remove absurd legislation enacted in response to a past moral panic. Usually, it is simply not enforced.

For example, in Canada, "Crime Comics" are illegal.

Quote:
163. (1) Every one commits an offence who

(b) makes, prints, publishes, distributes, sells or has in his possession for the purpose of publication, distribution or circulation a crime comic.
From the Canadian Criminal Code.

Now, there are plenty of comic book outlets openly selling what could be described as "crime comics". That was a 1950s moral panic, now quite obsolete, but the restriction remains in the legislation ...

Last edited by Malthus; 12-13-2011 at 02:03 PM..
Old 12-13-2011, 02:11 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
(And, even if there were, an "NSA" would lack one thing that the NRA always trots out: the Second Amendment.)
Actually the Second Amendment doesn't say anything about "guns" or "firearms", it just says "arms". I believe there are "knife rights" groups out there working to overturn various laws restricting knives. That said, District of Columbia v. Heller indicates that bans on "dangerous and unusual weapons" are still constitutionally OK (although one would think being "dangerous" is kind of the point of a weapon...), so even if knives are recognized as being "arms" protected by the Second Amendment, the courts might still uphold a ban on switchblades particularly.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
The new assisted opening knives from Kerhsaw et. al. along with just better quality liner locks makes switchblades less appealing.

Dave Perlman, the Assistant Attorney General for the state of Wisconsin, said that it is his legal opinion that Kerhsaw knives fall under the states switchblade laws and are therefore illegal:

941.24  Possession of switchblade knife.

(1) Whoever manufactures, sells or offers to sell, transports, purchases, possesses or goes armed with any knife having a blade which opens by pressing a button, spring or other device in the handle or by gravity or by a thrust or movement is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
What I don't get, is if there is a federal law regarding them, why are they legal in a few states? How are they getting around that?
Here's the text of the Federal law: "Whoever knowingly introduces, or manufactures for introduction, into interstate commerce, or transports or distributes in interstate commerce, any switchblade knife, shall be fined not more than $2,000 or imprisoned not more than five years, or both."

Let's play spot the loophole!
Old 12-13-2011, 02:36 PM

I agree, in the case where carrying a concealed weapon is permitted by law, it doesn't make any sense to make carrying a switchblade illegal. As noted above, the firearm lobby is probably more well-funded than the knife lobby.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:46 PM

Slightly off topic, I was watching the movie "Let the Right One in" the other night and at one point a bad guy pulls out a switchblade and flicks it open - apparently a universal sign that he really is a bad guy. The movie is from Sweden (I think) but is very recent.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Do out the front (OTF) knives count as switchblades? Because my Microtech snaps open and snaps closed with the press of a button. Very handy to use with one hand; most manual knives, even if they can flick open, require two hands to close. It would be a lot more useful if it wasn't a felony to be caught using it. Not sure why it's illegal; considering that it was more expensive than most guns, I doubt many gangbangers are rocking one.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It probably is an urban legend, but I read once that one-armed people can legally carry a switchblade.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 12-13-2011, 04:29 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
It probably is an urban legend, but I read once that one-armed people can legally carry a switchblade.
Despite what happened to Mrs. Kimble?
Old 12-13-2011, 07:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
You beat me to it.

I'd have to imagine the law is still on the books because, as has already been noted, there isn't anyone with any political clout agitating for its repeal. (And, even if there were, an "NSA" would lack one thing that the NRA always trots out: the Second Amendment.)
"Arms" != "Firearms."

The gun rights absolutists have some explainin' to do.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
When you have one hand full and you need to cut something? The possibilities are endless.

I need one for the remote chance that I may one day have to bail out of an aircraft and cut some shroud lines while simultaneously trying not to fall 50 feet to the ground out of a tree that I'm hanging from. As such I am allowed to possess one while in uniform, though I wouldn't push that to mean that I can walk around on the streets of Pennsylvania with one.

The point is that the law was passed due to moral panic, and like all such laws makes no sense whatsoever.

Incidentally, if you want something similar, look into assisted-opening knives of the tactical-folder variety. You need only push on the blade a little bit and it snaps open the rest of the way by itself. Even better, it's perfectly legal. Which, ironically, demonstrates the silliness of switchblade laws because of its legality as it is spring-loaded and mechanically opened once you get past the regulatory nanny push.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogarth View Post
I agree, in the case where carrying a concealed weapon is permitted by law, it doesn't make any sense to make carrying a switchblade illegal. As noted above, the firearm lobby is probably more well-funded than the knife lobby.
And in some states, this is exactly the case.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman Doors, USAF View Post
I need one for the remote chance that I may one day have to bail out of an aircraft...
http://www.hydroponicsonline.com/sto...0707973763.jpg
Old 12-13-2011, 08:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
Guess what? That's a switchblade. I have two.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Guess what? That's a switchblade. I have two.
Yep.

Last edited by Johnny L.A.; 12-13-2011 at 09:07 PM..
Old 12-13-2011, 09:22 PM

I'm guessing it is a holdover of fears of armed gangs in the 50s and 60s. I'm surprised they didn't also make it illegal to roll a pack of cigarettes up in the sleeve of your t-shirt too.

Switchblades are awesome btw. And yeah, it is a stupid law. You can carry other knives that can be opened with one hand. Butterfly knives are legal where I am at, so are knives that can be opened with your thumb.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftless View Post
Slightly off topic, I was watching the movie "Let the Right One in" the other night and at one point a bad guy pulls out a switchblade and flicks it open - apparently a universal sign that he really is a bad guy. The movie is from Sweden (I think) but is very recent.
I went to google the scene in Clockwork orange when the gangs get in a fight and one pulls a switchblade and came up with this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD-aURN_avk

And that is just 70-79, virtually all references are about criminals and intimidation.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:37 PM

So me and Easy Eddie and Big Louie, we was out by the trainyard and we got jumped by a couple a the Vipers. Lucky I had my switchblade.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:52 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
I went to google the scene in Clockwork orange when the gangs get in a fight and one pulls a switchblade and came up with this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD-aURN_avk

And that is just 70-79, virtually all references are about criminals and intimidation.
I like the guy at the end who flicks out his switchblade, and then sticks it in his belt.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:55 PM

Quote:
I'm guessing it is a holdover of fears of armed gangs in the 50s and 60s.
12 Angry Men.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Need? Pretty damn rarely. I work with ropes and rigging regularly at my job, and a situation where I need the extra two seconds to avoid death or injury has never occurred but plausibly could; for instance, if my foot were caught in a loop as the rope went up, I might need to cut it very quickly. Still, who cares about need? It's damned convenient, and I like it, and it does save me time in my daily life. Surely that's enough reason to carry one? Unless you're seriously contending that these are weapons of equal public danger and of as little daily use as pistols, why regulate them as strictly?
Old 12-13-2011, 11:28 PM

Quote:
I'm guessing it is a holdover of fears of armed gangs in the 50s and 60s.
Plenty of kids of the "greaser" type carried switchblades in those days too, it wasn't just guys in gangs. Where I went to school they also had a fondness for "wedgie" shoes with horseshoe and continental toe taps. If you were unfortunate enough to get into a fight with one of those guys you could suffer some serious damage. Other kids had them too. Some were the greasers' girlfriends, who carried switchblades in their purses, and others were kids who carried them for what they thought (or hoped) would be self defense against the other kids who carried them. All this resulted in a significant number of kids carrying switchblades, and that in turn created lots of pressure from teachers and parents to get them outlawed. It wasn't just an overreaction to West Side Story.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Incidentally, if you want something similar, look into assisted-opening knives of the tactical-folder variety. You need only push on the blade a little bit and it snaps open the rest of the way by itself. Even better, it's perfectly legal. Which, ironically, demonstrates the silliness of switchblade laws because of its legality as it is spring-loaded and mechanically opened once you get past the regulatory nanny push.
Are there any you'd recommend?
Old 12-14-2011, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

I strongly reccommend the SOG Topo Meridian.
http://www.amazon.com/SOG-Knives-Top.../dp/B003YL966Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBB5O8E1pSo

Incredibly comfortable, ambidextrous. Can be opened right handed or left handed via pin, or by either thumb by a kicker. Really sharp, strong blade, good balance, good blade shape. Best thirty bucks I ever spent on a pocket knife.
I got a deal, you know?

It looks a bit techish, but it works pretty well. And, as the video shows, it opens. Now. It has a good lock, too.

Last edited by E-Sabbath; 12-14-2011 at 12:24 PM..
Old 12-14-2011, 06:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoid View Post
Are there any you'd recommend?
I have the SOG Flash II. I have no complaints. However, it does have an ABS plastic handle (at least mine does), and that might be a turnoff. Benchmade starts at about twice that but has a very good reputation. Also check out Kershaw, they have a good selection but are also considerably more expensive than the SOG.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:50 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozmik View Post
12 Angry Men.
Kramer v. Kramer.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:05 PM
Charter Member

The video I linked was the TiNi. It's smaller.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiVcnWcJt2g
This is the right one.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:49 PM

Nobody has any strong political reason to change the law. That's the long and the short of it so far as why switchblades are still illegal. If I am a legislature I'm going to be spending my political clout on something a bit more worthwhile than switchblades.