Cavalry Forts

Did the U.S. Army Cavalry really have tapered wood post stockade-style forts like on F Troop? or is that just Hollywood? I am guessing they had wood-plank buildings, tents, and horse corrals, but thats about it. I am thinking the indians probably steered way clear of the forts and there was little need for serious defense.

Growing up in Vancouver, Washington, my mental image of forts was informed by Fort Vancouver, which did/does have a significant palisade with tapered tops. You can see in this photo:

http://www.celebratebig.com/pacific-northwest/mt-st-helens-vancouver-portland/fort-vancouver-national-historic-site.jpg

And this is in a location that didn’t really see significant conflict.

you just reminded me having been to Fort Clatsop in Oregon

http://www.nps.gov/lewi/historyculture/histcult-places-focl.htm

Thanks!

Oddly, a Roman soldier would carry a wooden pole, these would make up a primitive fort for evening privacy.

Quite sensible

Indians did attack forts and not just in the “old” west. What most people don’t realize is that the Native Americans were pissed at us long before the F-Troop days and that fort designs were developed long before General Custer’s times in response to actual attacks.

Forts were built in different ways depending on the perceived threat, and perhaps how busy the commander wished to keep his troops. Some were built with stockades, like Fort Union (in North Dakota). Some without, like the third Fort Union (in New Mexico). Occasionally you find a stone fort, like Fort Snelling, or a fort that started out with a stockade, but eventually lost it. I think Fort Laramie falls in that category.

Fort Colville in Washington State.

Fort Davis, out in West Texas, was named after Jefferson Davis when he was Secretary of War; it was used by the Camel Corps–an interesting experiment that ended when the Civil War distracted everybody.

Near what is now Goliad, there’s a walled reminder of earlier days in Texas:

Fortifications were restored in the 1960’s–to commemorate the presidio’s role in the Texas Revolution…

Fort Reno and Fort Phil Kearny in Wyoming had classic palisaded log walls, and looked a lot like F Troop’s Fort Courage.

See also Ft. Abraham Lincoln, near Mandan, S.D.:

And Ft. Bridger, in southwest Wyoming: