The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 12-15-2011, 10:53 PM
Charter Member

How often do you wake up in the night?

I have a friend who falls asleep and stays asleep until he wakes up in the morning.

I've read that often we "wake" without realizing it, but I don't think that counts. I think you should have to remember it for it to count.

I wake up after every two REM cycles, but sometimes after every REM cycle. So...I wake up at least three times a night, but sometimes more. And, I pee every time I wake up. (Been to the doctor, had every test available, blah, blah, blah. I pee every waking hour, too.)

But to fall asleep at, say, 10:00 and then not wake up once until the alarm goes off at six or seven or whatever...that is SO beyond my comprehension. Maybe twice a year I'll sleep all the way from 10 until 4 without waking up, and then I *stay* awake until the alarm comes on, but that's as close as I come to sleeping the entire night through.

And you know what? When that happens I feel cheated. I *like* waking up in the night. I hate getting up to pee, but I like waking up. I love sleep more than sex and food x 10, and waking up and falling back to sleep makes it seem like it lasts longer.
Advertisements  
Old 12-15-2011, 10:56 PM

I don't like to wake up in the night (although I do think that we do wake up often in the night but it's very brief and we don't remember), so I consider myself very lucky that I don't. I sleep very hard and solid from the time I fall asleep until my alarm goes off. Unless I drink a lot of water before bed, which I often do. Once in a while, like this morning, I will wake up an hour or two early (I have to get up at 6 during the week so it really sucks) and can't get back to sleep. I hate that.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice The Goon View Post
I sleep very hard and solid from the time I fall asleep until my alarm goes off.
What does that feel like? I've had surgery twice and it blows me away that I fall asleep and am woken up a millionth of a second later.

Although...during my first surgery I woke up, LOL. I remember saying, "Hey, I can feel that!" The surgeon later told me that I was a lot of fun. (It was a ganglion cyst removal so it wasn't as deep as when I had my tonsils out and a deviated septum repaired in one surgery.)
Old 12-15-2011, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runs With Scissors View Post
What does that feel like? I've had surgery twice and it blows me away that I fall asleep and am woken up a millionth of a second later.

Although...during my first surgery I woke up, LOL. I remember saying, "Hey, I can feel that!" The surgeon later told me that I was a lot of fun. (It was a ganglion cyst removal so it wasn't as deep as when I had my tonsils out and a deviated septum repaired in one surgery.)

It's awesome- it feels like I'm very efficient. I get my sleeping done like *that*, son!

I have slept through emergency vehicles coming to my house for my grandmother when I was a kid. When my alarm goes off, I'm usually in such a deep sleep that I still, after all these years, take a minute to figure out what that noise is. I did not sleep through my babies' crying during the night, though.

Funnily enough, I did wake up during deviated septum surgery.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:09 PM
僕は女性の香りが大好きですよ。フア!

Well, since I've had a cold since Tuesday and my nose has been running like a faucet, for the last two nights I've been up almost twice an hour. I'm tired and I'm cranky.

Kill me.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:26 PM

Most nights at least 3 times. I wish I could sleep through the night!
Old 12-16-2011, 12:07 AM
Charter Member

I sleep through the night every night unless I'm sick or really anxious about something. It's nothing like anesthesia, where you fall asleep and then it's morning. I have very vivid dreams, and even when I don't remember them, I have a sense of the passage of time. It's more like having a massage or a sauna -- something that relaxes and rejuvenates my body, so I'm ready for the next day.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:11 AM

For me it is like I fall asleep and then it's morning. I do dream, but I don't have any sense of a passage of time. I lay down and close my eyes and then my alarm goes off.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:13 AM

Generally once, usually because I have to pee. The total amount of sleep lost improved once I stopped lying there bitching about how I didn't want to get out of bed and maybe I could hold it and blah blah. Now I just get up and go to the bathroom and am back in bed a couple minutes later.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:25 AM

I wake up between 2 and 3 times per night like everybody else does. I don't understand the question. Do some people go to sleep for like 8 hours and never wake up? How do they know they're not dead? Don't they get bored? When do they have time to watch TV?

Really, some of these threads are getting very odd. Next thing someone will be asking if anyone puts both socks on before putting on the first shoe.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:51 AM

Every time the stupid kitten decides she needs to be petted, belly-scratched, or something!

And when I need to pee. Which I could do, and be back asleep within minutes, except that the kitten thinks "he's up -- he must want to play for a while".

(Photo, as per requirements.)
Old 12-16-2011, 04:52 AM

I wake up at least once an hour, every hour. Sometimes I might sleep as little as fifteen minutes out of every hour.

Last time I slept all the way through the night was 6 years ago. Everything caught up with me at just the right point that I went to sleep at 6pm one day and didn't wake back up til 1030 am the next day.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:59 AM

Sleep disorder here - with sleeping tablets wake up about every 2 hours or less x by the number of hours I try to sleep. I can sometimes get up to 4 hours in one go (once in a night). I wake up and it varies - sometimes toilet and back to sleep ... othertimes ... hours until sleep comes again. Without sleeping tablets of any form ... every 30 mins on the dot - oh joy!

I once had a drug for something else (doctor prescribed!) and I went to bed at 7:30pm and never knew another thing until the alarm went off - totally weirded me out! Sleep was great - but I was a walking zombie in the day.

I have an iphone app that measures sleep - not particularly accurate (I can get up, go to the toilet, go back to sleep - and it misses that!) ... but lots of fun to see how little sleep I get!
Old 12-16-2011, 05:08 AM

My sleeping cycle is so messed up. I've always been an early to bed, early to rise sort, but lately I fall asleep at about 8:30 pm and wake about 2:00 am. It's driving me bonkers! But I do sleep for those 5 hours or so without interruption, so I guess it could be worse.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:56 AM

I have small children and am pregnant. On good nights I wake once to go to the bathroom. On bad nights (like last night- older son is sick) I wake every half an hour to an hour.

This is not a great morning.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:01 AM

We have a three y/old so that skews our results, but I reckon I wake up at least 7-8 times a night. If I'm sleeping on my front I'll grab another pillow and sleep on my back for a bit, and if I'm on my back I'll chuck a pillow away and roll onto my front.

I'm probably only awake for 10 sec at the most but it does happen a lot most night.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:27 AM

I used to wake up 4-6 times per night.

I quit caffeine a couple of months ago and now I'm down to 1-2 times a night, with the occasional sleep until the alarm goes off thrown in. It's a lot easier to get out of bed in the morning, too.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:11 AM

At least twice, but often 5-6 times.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:19 AM

Generally only once. Like the OP, I like to wake up at least once, look at the clock, and then go back to sleep. I love falling back to sleep and knowing that I don't have to get up.

I almost never have to get up to go pee during the night, and I drink a lot of fluids, all day long.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:11 AM

If everyone else in the house cooperates, I sleep all the way through without waking up. Last night was a particularly bad night - husband got up to go to the bathroom, dog heard something and barked, youngest kid had a bad dream and I got up to hang out in his room for a bit, then I vaguely woke up to the alarm and turned it off, then finally woke up to the kids having some sort of wrestling tournament downstairs. Tonight, I sleep.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:15 AM

I woke zero times per night in my first two decades of life. Then once a night in my twenties, now twice a night in my thirties.

There were a few nights when the baby was young and my husband was on baby duty for the night--from the guest room--that I slept through without waking up once. That was awesome.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:24 AM

I almost never wake up during the night. I have a hard time falling asleep and I have a hard time waking up, but once I'm asleep, I'm going to stay asleep unless someone wakes me up. I often wake up and find that there is a child and three stuffed animals in bed with me that weren't there the night before. I sleep soundly with cats draped over me and pointy little kid elbows in my back. On the very rare occasions that I do wake up, I hate it because it means that I am going to spend two hours being an anxiety-ridden hypochondriac before falling back asleep.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

I think I wake up about every 1-2 hours. Joints get stiff and when I shift during sleep the pain wakes me up, I move around a bit and get more comfortable and go back to sleep. I never get up to pee.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:13 AM

Before getting pregnant I was one of those people who went to bed at about the same time every night, slept straight through, and then woke up 5 minutes before the alarm was set to go off.

Now? Minimally, I'll get up 2-3 times to pee on a good night, but I usually wake up a lot more than that to readjust and stay comfortable. I'm trying to think of it as training for a baby.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:25 AM

Usually once, typically right before dawn (which means I get 5-6 straight hours of uninterrupted slumber).
Old 12-16-2011, 10:35 AM
Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space

Usually once, to pee. I don't usually look at the clock, so I don't know how much uninterrupted sleep I get on either side of the bathroom trip, but I'm a darned good sleeper, so "enough," anyway.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:48 AM
And Finn The Human
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chizzuk View Post
Generally once, usually because I have to pee. The total amount of sleep lost improved once I stopped lying there bitching about how I didn't want to get out of bed and maybe I could hold it and blah blah. Now I just get up and go to the bathroom and am back in bed a couple minutes later.
Same here. Sometimes I do try to fight it, especially if it's close to wake-up time. But if it's at 4 AM or something I hop out of bed, do my business and get back to sleepin'.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:13 AM

A few times per night, usually, I am awake enough to look at the clock and calculate how many hours I have left to sleep. Occasionally (once or twice a month) I will sleep all night without any conscious awakening. I never get up to pee.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:45 AM

Nearly never. I rarely even have to pee in the middle of the night (which, for a 46 year old guy, is pretty good).

My wife gets up several times during the night, but I manage to sleep through that.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:48 AM

I wake up rather a lot. I guess 4-8 times most nights? I remember waking because I always check the clock. Then I go right back to sleep, probably within 5 minutes. This happens mostly in the later AM hours - most days I first go to sleep around 11 or 12, I rarely remember waking before 3AM but wake regularly the rest of the morning. I always open my eyes and feel more alert than usual around 6AM and stay awake for 10-15 minutes debating getting out of bed - but it almost never happens. I should go to bed a bit earlier and attempt to make that a regular wake-up time. As it is, because my schedule is very different day-to-day and week-to-week, I get up anywhere between 5 and 9.

I can't remember ever having to get up to pee when I am sleeping. I also never wake up and then can't fall back asleep.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:44 PM

I sleep until I wake up, and I do both easily (rarely have trouble sleeping and am wide awake when my eyes open). I don't know if this is aided by the fact that left completely to my own devices I only sleep about 6.5 hours (I always wake up before my alarm and this regularity is kind of annoying on weekends when I still wake up at 5:30 in the morning and it will be approximately five hours before my wife wakes up because she only sleeps 6 hours a night during the week, but really wants 8 and catches up on the weekend).

If I don't pee before going to bed I might wake up in the middle of the night but then go right back to sleep. I also never remember dreams and the concept of knowing how many REM cycles have passed is unknown to me.

One thing that amuses my wife is that once asleep I am out like a log. She can toggle lights, do whatever on the bedroom TV, run a blender next to my pillow and I'm still out. But if she whispered my name with a concerned tone, I'm awake.

I also don't seem to move much in my sleep though I can't be sure of that. I get the right 2 feet of our queen size bed. I go to sleep on my side facing the outside and that is almost always where I am when I wake up (but there are pretty extreme exceptions, once I woke up with clothes on I hadn't worn to bed with my head at the foot of the bed).

Last edited by obfusciatrist; 12-16-2011 at 12:46 PM..
Old 12-16-2011, 04:20 PM

This book says it's normal to wake up at night, this says you should sleep through the entire night. I have no idea who is right but I tend toward the first one since I usually wake up a few times.

Last edited by ratatoskK; 12-16-2011 at 04:20 PM..
Old 12-16-2011, 06:10 PM

I wake several times a night. I generally get a solid two hours' sleep to start with and then wake about every thirty minutes after that.

Time was I could sleep fourteen hours straight. I pine for those days.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:55 PM

I wake up many times every night. I'm pretty sure I have sleep apnea because I've been told I snore like a freight train and sometimes dream I'm holding my breath to keep from drowning in a tidal wave. If I manage four hours without waking up it is heaven. And rare.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:13 PM

I almost never wake up and remember it. If I do, it's usually a half hour or so before I get up, and I roll over and go back to sleep for a little while.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:31 PM

If left to my own devices (i.e., no kids coming in to wake me up), I'll wake up once, close to when my alarm usually goes off (so generally I wake up at 5 or 5:30 when my alarm goes off at 6), wondering why the hell no kids have woken me up yet. I'll consider going to check on them, then realize that if I do, they'll wake up, so I go back to sleep or pee then go back to sleep.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:01 PM

Far too often.

On bad nights, I call it "the spin cycle". Wake up, roll over, go back to sleep, wake up 3-10 minutes later, roll over, go back to sleep, repeat all fucking night long.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:04 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Three times, on average.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:09 PM

I'm a horrible sleeper. Wake up several times every night. My animals often get me up. Also I tend to eat later in the evening and drink beer, both of which compound the problem.
So there are things I could do to make things better but I can remember when I used to fall asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow and not wake up untill the alarm had gone off for a couple minutes.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:15 PM

Quote:
#11 Today, 05:51 AM
t-bonham@scc.net
Guest Join Date: Mar 2003

Every time the stupid kitten decides she needs to be petted, belly-scratched, or something!

And when I need to pee. Which I could do, and be back asleep within minutes, except that the kitten thinks "he's up -- he must want to play for a while".

(Photo, as per requirements.)
God on ya, t-bonham! At least SOMEBODY understands the rules here.

And, being 82YO, a trip to the bathroom is guaranteed at least twice a night.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:16 PM

Good, not God. Good good good. I'm gonna fire my proofreader.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:37 AM

At least twice, and up to six times a night normally, and a lot more times than that on a bad night. I never ever sleep more than 4 hours without waking up, and usually that's only after waking up every hour/every two hours earlier in the night. Once in a while I need to pee, but the majority of the time there doesn't seem to be a reason I wake up over and over again. It's been like this since I was in preschool, though, so I guess that's just the way sleep works for me.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:12 AM

Generally I don't wake up but get only 5-8 hours of sleep (used to get 8-12 hours). Over the past several years, I've started waking up between 4-6 AM quite often, but often can't fall back asleep when this happens. Also, I take accidental naps during the day or evening which makes it harder to get 8 hours of regular night sleep.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:16 PM

I wake up every time the idiot upstairs crashes his toilet seat down, or drops his heavy things on the floor (no idea what it is), or slams the washer lid down.

He's apt to do this any time of the day, but seems to prefer between 4 and 8AM.

Left to my own devices in a quiet place, I don't wake up at all until morning.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:31 PM

2-3 times a night if I'm lucky. Nothing worse than waking up 30 minutes before the alarm.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:37 PM

Usually 2 or 3 times in the night. Sometimes, I'm awake for an hour or more in the middle of the night, and keep a book inside the pillowcase to read until I'm sleepy again. More irksome is being wide awake around 4 am on a weekday and knowing I won't get back to sleep before I have to get up at 5:30; if that happens on a weekend, I can often fall back asleep after 5 am and get in another hour or so.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:41 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Usually once or twice at my house, three or four times at my girlfriend's. Don't know why there's a difference, but it probably has to do with not sleeping at my girlfriend's enough nights in a row to get really comfortable in her bed.