The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-24-2011, 05:36 AM
grude grude is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Crash 2004, the rape scene and the ending bugged me

I never saw much discussion about this anywhere, but it really bugged me.

The scene where the racist cop played by Matt Dillon is raping/sexually assaulting the wife is kind of vague, it looks like he is just groping her outside her clothes from what the audience sees. But later when she and her husband are fighting over his failure to protect her she says she was "finger fucked" and her trauma suggests its true, that the cop raped a woman based on her race in front of her husband.

Then the ending clearly is meant by the film makers to redeem the character, he saves the same woman he raped from a burning car with suitable heroic poses and music as he carries her to safety. You see? He's not so bad after all! Why his partner who had the audacity to object to a racially motivated rape is the real racist, he shoots an innocent guy based on prejudice!



I want to make clear here I have no objection to morally objectionable actions by fictional characters, what I hated was how it seemed the film makers wanted the audience to view the character as redeemed and not so bad afterall.

Sorry guys not buying it.
Reply With Quote
Advertisements  
  #2  
Old 12-24-2011, 08:00 AM
bldysabba bldysabba is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by grude View Post
I never saw much discussion about this anywhere, but it really bugged me.

The scene where the racist cop played by Matt Dillon is raping/sexually assaulting the wife is kind of vague, it looks like he is just groping her outside her clothes from what the audience sees. But later when she and her husband are fighting over his failure to protect her she says she was "finger fucked" and her trauma suggests its true, that the cop raped a woman based on her race in front of her husband.

Then the ending clearly is meant by the film makers to redeem the character, he saves the same woman he raped from a burning car with suitable heroic poses and music as he carries her to safety. You see? He's not so bad after all! Why his partner who had the audacity to object to a racially motivated rape is the real racist, he shoots an innocent guy based on prejudice!



I want to make clear here I have no objection to morally objectionable actions by fictional characters, what I hated was how it seemed the film makers wanted the audience to view the character as redeemed and not so bad afterall.

Sorry guys not buying it.
IMO you missed the exact point that the movie was trying to make. The real world, and the people and incidents that populate it, are complex. The movie is just trying to explore some of that gray without making any of the snap judgments that you've passed.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-24-2011, 08:05 AM
Farmer Jane Farmer Jane is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 5,785
I hated that woman's husband more than anything. God, I HATED him.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-24-2011, 08:27 AM
grude grude is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by bldysabba View Post
IMO you missed the exact point that the movie was trying to make. The real world, and the people and incidents that populate it, are complex. The movie is just trying to explore some of that gray without making any of the snap judgments that you've passed.
No the film makers could have used much more subtle techniques in that case to suggest a neutral viewpoint, and remember all the characters are being compared and contrasted.

What bugged me was the idea the film was trying to sell that the cop had become some kind of hero and redeemed himself, I don't want to be told what to think about morally gray characters.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-24-2011, 09:24 AM
The Lovely Margo Lane The Lovely Margo Lane is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenPained View Post
I hated that woman's husband more than anything. God, I HATED him.
Jesus what an asshole he was. Turn your wife's trauma into a whiny-ass meltdown of your own. Grow the fuck up.

And I agree with the OP about the cop's 'redemption' at the end. It was played far too standard "heroic rescue" for it to sit well with me or show the complexity the film's apologists claim for it. In the real world of moral gray areas, one heroic action doesn't just wipe out prior bad acts - both still exist. The same events could have been shot and edited differently, without the hero shots and it would have been a ot more effective for me.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-24-2011, 09:34 AM
Baal Houtham Baal Houtham is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Some previous threads you might enjoy.
Crash: Deserving of Best Picture?

Crash

Crash: Did I Miss Something?

Crash:Good Stuff... But I've Got a Few Questions

Crash Sucked -- Nothing to Do with Brokeback Mountain
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-24-2011, 10:09 AM
RealityChuck RealityChuck is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Schenectady, NY, USA
Posts: 35,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by grude View Post
The scene where the racist cop played by Matt Dillon is raping/sexually assaulting the wife is kind of vague, it looks like he is just groping her outside her clothes from what the audience sees.
This is what happened.

Quote:
But later when she and her husband are fighting over his failure to protect her she says she was "finger fucked" and her trauma suggests its true, that the cop raped a woman based on her race in front of her husband.
The wife is understandably outraged and upset and is using hyperbole to make her husband take action.

Quote:
Then the ending clearly is meant by the film makers to redeem the character, he saves the same woman he raped from a burning car with suitable heroic poses and music as he carries her to safety. You see? He's not so bad after all! Why his partner who had the audacity to object to a racially motivated rape is the real racist, he shoots an innocent guy based on prejudice!
As bldysabba point out, you're missing the point of the movie, which, among other things, is that a person is not purely binary. How you act or react is a part of the situation.

The cop felt up the woman because his father was dying and he was upset at the black woman who wouldn't help (though we didn't find that out until later). But he wasn't purely racist overall and was willing to risk his life to save a black woman (the fact that it was the woman he molested merely ramped up what was at stake).

The contrast was also being made from the one cop, who made racist remarks but when push came to shove, saved the black woman's life, and the other cop, who called the first on his racism, yet shot an innocent man because of his own.

Life is complicated. People change. And those who don't understand this hate the move.
__________________
"East is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-24-2011, 10:47 AM
Baal Houtham Baal Houtham is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
Life is complicated. People change. And those who don't understand this hate the move.
Life is complicated. People change. And those who don't understand that everyone in the world already knows this, don't understand that some people prefer films where the characters' personalities drive the plot, rather than where the characters personalities exist only to teach simplistic moral lessons.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-24-2011, 10:52 AM
jjimm jjimm is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baal Houtham View Post
Life is complicated. People change. And those who don't understand that everyone in the world already knows this, don't understand that some people prefer films where the characters' personalities drive the plot, rather than where the characters personalities exist only to teach simplistic moral lessons.
And one simplistic moral lesson would be that the racist cop was 'redeemed' at the end. He wasn't. He was still an asshole, but he did a good thing. Or he was a good person who acted like an asshole a lot of the time.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-24-2011, 03:02 PM
SecretaryofEvil SecretaryofEvil is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
The answer to most questions about the film Crash is that Crash is an absolutely horrible movie. The whole film is just an endless stream of random cliche racist rants and absurd, unrealistic situations convolutedly tied together. It tried to be gritty and topical, but it just wound up being cheesey. I don't understand what anybody sees in this film.

If you want a gritty, no holds barred examination of contemporary racism, American History X did it much better than Crash.

A lot of films tie together seemingly unrelated plot lines, but off the top of my head, Pulp Fiction, and Go (1999) did it much better than Crash.

The list of films that examine how a person is capable of doing both good and bad things is nearly endless, so I'll only note that Crash did a very poor job of doing this.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-24-2011, 03:16 PM
voguevixen voguevixen is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretaryofEvil View Post
The answer to most questions about the film Crash is that Crash is an absolutely horrible movie.
This. We were watching it in some class I was in and at one point I laughed out loud at the over-the-top absurdity of it. LOOK AT ME! I'M A DRAMA!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-26-2011, 11:12 PM
enomaj enomaj is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Just re-watched this and I thought I'd post this question here.

In the scene where Ryan Phillipe shoots Larenz Tate, Tate takes his idol out of his pocket and appears to slam it down. After the shot, it's still in his closed hand. Plus Phillipe was awfully slow to react to a perceived threat. Tate had the drop on him if he had had a gun instead of the idol.

Anybody else notice this?
Reply With Quote
Reply



Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright 2013 Sun-Times Media, LLC.