The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS)

Old 03-18-2001, 07:46 PM

How amazing, I was just reading "One Last Little Peek" this afternoon, then I stumble across this thread...

Great stuff. Never fails to make me laugh. Him and Waterson, both.
Advertisements  
Old 03-19-2001, 12:34 AM

The series about homosexuality thinly disguised as a series about penguin lust.

Recasting the airline worker strike with Santa's elves.

Genius.

And Outland was great...what are you guys talking about? I remember the one where Opus and Steve go out to dinner. After the usual "smoking or non-smoking?" the waiter starts asking them about their racial background, ending with "ancestors kicked butt?" To which Steve responds "Yeah!!"

Last frame shows them sitting in the oppressive white male section. Opus leans over to a black woman sitting in the next session and says "may I borrow the salt?" to which she replies "apologize."
Old 03-19-2001, 09:52 AM

As a member of the oppressed majority, this is a favorite

Well, Dad, I guess it's safe to say we're not a couple of short, overweight, French-speaking, Hindu, Communist, gay, black women. Nope, racially, ethnicly, physically, sexually, and gender-wise, we're hopelessly in the majority. For crying out loud, we're not even in the Moral Majority minority! And there's darn few of us left! Y'know what that makes us?

A minority.

Right. Power, brother.
Old 03-19-2001, 10:40 AM

I have all but one of the Opus dolls that were released (I have the graduate, the shower, penguin lust, the reindeer, a Hawaiian one, and the standard "plain"). And I have every book there is. I still enjoy his commentary on the time Reagan called him when he was in the shower: "I still regret not saying 'I think I should tell you, sir, that I'm not wearing any pants.'"

Opus: "I am at one with my brothers on this spaceship earth!" (Looks down at Milquetoast the cockroach) "Except for stupid cockroaches!" Stomp, stomp, stomp. Last frame - lying on the floor "Moral failures are such a bummer."
Milquetoast: "Brother, you're on my weiner."

Lola Granola: "It just doesn't SOAR, darn it!"

"Even their uzis are pink!"

To this day, I ask people "How goes the great cockroach revolution?" Nobody except my brother, with whom I share a brain, has ever responded with the correct line: "Gloriously, Ahmed, gloriously!"
Old 03-19-2001, 05:52 PM

My favorite strip of all time, set during the 1984 American Meadow Party Convention:

Binkley: I mean, the Presidency! Wow! Leader of the free world! Global destruction at his fingertips! And we nominated a dead cat!! A DEAD CAT!! Maybe we should have found someone with a more appropriate background! A more experienced background...MILO! WE SHOULD HAVE FOUND AN AMIABLE OLD EX-B MOVIE ACTOR!!"
Milo: Don't be ridiculous.
Binkley (burying his face in his hands): Oh, Milo, we should have called Fred MacMurray.

My second favorite strip:

Milo, on the phone, taking notes: Senator, will you confirm that you sunk Jimmy Hoffa in your backyard pond?
Senator: What? Of course not!
Milo: Fine. I'll go with "Sen. Bedfellow denies that pond is where he sunk Hoffa."
Senator: That's Not True!
Milo: OK, "Bedfellow DID sink Hoffa in pond."
Senator: I DON'T KNOW WHERE HOFFA IS!!
Milo: "I lost the body", says Bedfellow."
Old 03-20-2001, 03:30 PM
Uncharted
Charter Member

Quote:

To this day, I ask people "How goes the great cockroach revolution?" Nobody except my brother, with whom I share a brain, has ever responded with the correct line: "Gloriously, Ahmed, gloriously!"
Even I couldn't do that, and I started this thread!

Quote:
My second favorite strip:

Milo, on the phone, taking notes: Senator, will you confirm that you sunk Jimmy Hoffa in your backyard pond?
Senator: What? Of course not!
Milo: Fine. I'll go with "Sen. Bedfellow denies that pond is where he sunk Hoffa."
Senator: That's Not True!
Milo: OK, "Bedfellow DID sink Hoffa in pond."
Senator: I DON'T KNOW WHERE HOFFA IS!!
Milo: "I lost the body", says Bedfellow."
Now, that just made my day.
Old 03-20-2001, 04:15 PM

Damn, I'm getting misty reading this thread.

The reason why W.A. Thornhump, the CEO of Bloom County Inc., and the Pointy-Haired Boss in Dilbert look similar is because they are based on the same people type - the older, overweight good-old-boy boss with the 3/4 natural tonsure. If you look at the early days of Dilbert, the PHB has your basic curly fringe. He has evolved to his present day 'do.

Ah yes, the glorious cockroach revolution.

There's another one I don't remember too well - Milo or maybe Opus is trying to get a demonstration going and is talking to some sorority girls. Their response is "We're talking husbands on the hoof here"
Old 03-20-2001, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Zyada
There's another one I don't remember too well - Milo or maybe Opus is trying to get a demonstration going and is talking to some sorority girls. Their response is "We're talking husbands on the hoof here"
Ah, the nuclear disarmament rally. "You mean like a pep rally?" "Sorry, we've got a mixer with the Delts Saturday." "Delts?" "A fraternity. Real hunks!" "We're talking the survival of man on earth, here!" "And I'm talking husbands on the hoof."

Slightly paraphrased, 'cause I don't have the book handy. That's the same story line that had them going to college campuses, because they were supposedly "hotbeds of liberalism." Fraternity response: "Midget commies."

Yep. That's why I can't find my car keys, folks. Brain's full of comic strips, old song lyrics, and the screenplay from "The Holy Grail."
Old 03-21-2001, 07:50 AM

Ah, Bloom County - the greatest comic strip of all time, with Calvin & Hobbes a close second. I like Outland too, not so much in its own right, but more because it has the same characters, and a similar sense of humour.

I have a penguin lust Opus toy by my computer as I type.

Milo: That's right...Bill has agreed to sell Nabisco one of his Boingers songs as a TV jingle for $12 million
Steve: No! (To Bill) You've made us rich?!
Milo: Steve, you gave up your subsiduary percentage when you rewrote their contracts in jail last week.
Steve: You've sold us out?!

Care Bears always care for drinkin' and cuttin' loose!

Pure genius....
Old 03-21-2001, 09:16 AM

Ah, Berke, we hardly knew ye. I have great appreciation for Doonsbury, Calvin & Hobbes and the Far Side (and Bizarro still makes me giggle insanely), but damn, if I could have anything back that I once had, I think it would be Berke and his much-missed cast of characters.

His sense of timing was impeccable, no? Not just the punchline, but the delivery AFTER the giggle is what usually makes me laugh until I cry.

Case in point, since this one is just classic, and I don't think it's been mentioned:

Opus: How I love to watch the morn,
with golden sun that shines,
up above to nicely warm
these frosty toes of mine.

The wind doth taste of bittersweet,
like jasper wine and sugar.
I bet it's blown through others' feet,
like those of............

<wait for it>

Caspar Weinberger.

Milo, popping up: START OVER!

Gods, how can you improve on perfection?

I can't BELIEVE none of you have mentioned Rosebud the basselope yet, either. PINKOS! HEATHENS!

("Fetch me a pickle milshake" is *still* one of my favourite lines)
Old 03-21-2001, 09:32 AM

Rosebud strips

-Excuse me, you are a wild animal, aren't you?
-Yes.
-Pardon me, but have you ever been fried, filleted, splayed, displayed, maimed, spavined, roasted or toasted?
-No.
-Humiliated, objurgated, flattened, minced, injected, rejected, infected, tortured, powdered, hunted, or shot?
-No.
-You just lie around all day doing nothing?
-Yes.
-HERE'S ONE!!!
(whoosh) (BANG!) (snap) (ka-pow) (zZzing) (wham)
Old 03-21-2001, 09:36 AM
Uncharted
Charter Member

Quote:
I can't BELIEVE none of you have mentioned Rosebud the basselope yet, either. PINKOS! HEATHENS!
You really should stop the speed reading:

Quote:
Originally posted by myself
Rosebud: "The Hottentots are running amok!"
Opus: "No, it's just us. Band practice broke up early."
Rosebud: "The Hottentots are running amok in the music business."
Old 03-21-2001, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

I think that it was Portney who said, "What exactly is feminine protection? A chartreuse flame-thrower?"

Lady at Deathtounge show: Do you know any Barry Manilow?
Opus: We have "Hari-Kari for Barry".
Lady: Oh? Thats one of his?
Old 03-21-2001, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Show_Biz
Berke Breathed's attraction has always escaped me.
I know that he got a boost from "replacing" the far surperior Calvin & Hobbes strip, but after that I cannot fathom his continued popularity.
Quote:
Originally spoken by Gregory Peck
What is Bloom County? What is the matter with me that I don't understand it?
Timing, and absurdity. For instance, out of the blue, suggesting the casting of Eric Estrada for some production (aside from Opus, a slave to the tabloids: "He needs the work").

Bloom County appeared during a Doonesbury hiatus, which created a lot of comparisons. C&H came out a few years later. I can't rank Bloom County over or under C&H - they're both brilliant.
Old 03-21-2001, 05:58 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jeff Olsen
Quote:
You really should stop the speed reading:
Apologies to Jeff, who obviously knows his stuff. I'll remember to not post before my eyes are fully open from now on.

And kudos to matt_mcl as well. Anyone that can pull up a Rosebud strip is A-OK in my book
Old 03-22-2001, 07:10 AM

OK, another great one:

Yaz: Name one name, just one name that's wierder than "Yaz Pistachio"

Opus: "Berkely Breathed"

Yaz: OK, name two
Old 03-22-2001, 09:53 AM

Thanks guys--I needed this today.

I still say "a thousand apologies" to people--I think only my brothers get it.

"A Wish for Wings that Worked" was incredible--"eww, eww! A hairball! Don't touch that thing!" Genius.

The one I think about from time to time was when the unfortunate Opus was struck by the falling satellite, and no one would help him because they were unsure whether "he still got Cheez-Whiz in his knickers?"

Hah, she says in a haughty tone, I still have my Billy and the Boingers 45 and it is pure and pristine. I've never even listened to it (largely because I couldn't find our record player!).

Can you grimace musically?

I'd like my milkshake without the cup--you said I could get it my way.
Old 03-22-2001, 09:58 AM

"An albatross! She left me for an albatross! With great big loooong wings! Oh my Delores..."

"P O R K--you know, the other white meat?"

My husband must be tired of all the Opus and Bill cards he gets...don't know if he fully understands them or not.

Sigh...I need my books.
Old 03-22-2001, 06:29 PM

Milo at the Lost & Found department of a department store (paraphrased)(severely)

Milo: Excuse me, I've lost my youthful idealism.
Man: Your what?
Milo: My youthful idealism. I used to have it but lately I just can't seem to find it.
Man: Er...
Milo: And my sense of humor. Lately I've lost sight of that as well...
Man: um...
Milo: Now I'm losing my patience! I don't suppose you've seen that lying around anywhere have you?!?
Man: I...er...
Milo: Oh, Great!! Now I've lost my TEMPER! So unless you've got THAT back in there, I shall bid you good day!!
Man: Puh...please!! Hasn't anyone lost anything TANGIBLE?!?
Opus: Excuse me...I've lost my marbles.
Old 03-22-2001, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by beagledave
I went to college in Iowa City, Berke's early hometown..needless to say Iowa Citians are required by penal code to think he is cool..many of the references in his early cartoons are from Iowa City stores or landmarks.

In the Iowa City library is a signed color print of Opus reflecting on how much he will miss Iowa City (done when Berke moved west)...he names all the things he loves...But then says "except for the water..it tastes like Spic n Span" ......which is spot on <shudder>

I have a regular Opus doll and a reindeer Opus...and there is a "Thpppt" cartoon of Opus in my web site.
I can go you one better: for about seven years, I lived in the actual Bloom County House that appears in the strip (on the corner of College and Summit streets; and yes, it still rents rooms). Between 1987 and 1994, you could see my Christmas Opus peeking from the curtains in the second story window over the stone arch. The fountain in that "Spic-n-Span" cartoon (affectionately known as 'Three Ladies Pissing'--the fountain, not the cartoon) has been removed and replaced with something a bit less treacherous for the kiddies to play in. Another bit of history gone.
Old 03-24-2001, 06:00 PM

It took me a while, but I finally made it to this thread. I've got too many favourites, but here are a few.

Teacher - Fractions, ladies and gentlemints. Today's math lesson is on fractions. Allow me to illustrate. This, dear children, is a grape. A grape that represents, shall we say.... the total annual salary of a public schoolteacher. Now. First we'll subtract a dozen mortgage payments. That'd be about 1/4... And food... that's about 1/4... and 1/7 for clothes... 1/12 for gasoline... 1/10 for typewriter ribbons... and a whopping 3/10 for alimony payments to an ungrateful ex-wife!! Mr. Jones, please tell us what fraction remains to put toward an early and well-deserved retirement.
Oliver - Diddley/squat
Teacher holding watermelon - Now here's the salary of a city garbage collector...

Then there was the ill fated quest for a better bod...

Local resident found unconscious with chest hair mysteriously ripped out

Steve's attempt to quit smoking...

Opus God is my co-pilot.

Steve, after the aliens flopped his personality...

Milo What are those things on his face?
Opus What things?
Milo Those brown, thoughtful globs!
Opus His eyes!

Another fave from that time...

Steve Ever since I returned, I've been thinking of us, Quiche. I'd like you to consider a brave new level of commitment and emotional purity... I'm going to say just one word.... and I want you to say the one word that first comes to your mind. Ready? Celibacy.
Quiche Don't forget your hat on the way out.
Steve That's eight words!

Opus in jail, after attacking the mime...

Opus Wh...What do you think I've got coming?
Steve A million. Maybe two.
Opus freaks out
Opus... YEARS?!
Steve Dollars! TV rights! What the hell are you slobbering about?
Old 05-20-2001, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

You're forgetting Oliver and his DAD!!

------

Your Mom turned you into her own little Michael Jackson, eh? Hee hee!

-------

Now son... I know you... and I don't want you experimenting with subliminal messages.

Like what?

Like "I feel like raising Oliver's allowance..." or "I feel like taking Oliver out for ice cream."

Or "I feel like shoving cucumbers up my nose and putting spam on my head?"

Let's stay serious, son.

------

This is worse than when I put the sprinklers too close to car, isn't it?

The "Cripps" blew it up 20 minutes ago, son...

------
Old 05-20-2001, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

Rosebud: There seems to be a diminutive bug in my boudoir.

A few panels later...

Cockleberry Cockroach: Say! Mind if I run in an' out of your nose while you snooze? Don't mind if I do!

-----

Steve (placing personal ad): Fabulously handsome single male, 28, seeks tomato, 18-22, for manhandling and light housecleaning!

-----

Clerk: There's no such thing as walrus wafers!
Opus: Well, there should be.

-----

'Mr. Spock doesn't say, "Let's blast their buns off."'
'Yeah!'
'Simp!'
Opus: Well, excuse me for living.

-----

Ack! Thpttt!!!
Old 06-04-2001, 09:09 AM

Well, I mean, a space walrus...with photon flippers or something...
Old 06-04-2001, 05:21 PM

Oh yes, how appropriate.

I feel like Opus this morning.

You see, Saturday morning, while watching the wee morning hours of the broadcast TV schedule, I ordered $1100 worth of merchandise while under the influence of an infomercial.

Yes. Yes. And yes. I was drunk. The price was not really within my means. And I used a credit card.

But to my credit, the merchandise was a Bose Acoustic Wave Stereo System.

At least I didn't order 273 of them!
"Unchecked right-wing media power means that in the United States today, no issue can be honestly debated and no election can be fairly decided." -- David Brock, former conservative journalist and "right-wing hitman," author of Blinded by the Right: The Conscience of an Ex-Conservative
Old 06-04-2001, 07:44 PM

A very, very early strip

Milo Bloom & his Grandpa sitting on a park bench; also on the bench is a pregnant woman.

Milo looks at the woman.
Milo: Do you love that baby in your tummy?
Pregnant lady: Why yes, I do, very much.
Milo: Then why did you eat it?

I had that taped to my fridge when I was pregnant with my son. I miss the strip a bunch.

"The Captain has a tomato!"

I still say "Pear Pimples for Hairy Fishnuts" from time to time.

Ginger
Old 06-04-2001, 08:51 PM

Okay, here's a couple:

They're exchanging Bill for Cutter John and the gang and Steve's seeing Bill getting on to the plane. Both the Russian (er, Soviet) guy are thinking nasty thoughts about one another. Can't really remember what Steve's were, but one of the Soviet's thoughts was absolutely priceless: "Sheep pimp."

Then there was the strip where Cutter John was on a date and after an awkward bit of silence he asks, "Legs shaved?" To which her reply is, "Halfway."

Finally, I, for one, always refer to the handicapped parking spots as "The Forbidden Handicapped Zone."

Ah, memories.
Old 06-04-2001, 11:09 PM

Opus: Mrs. Langdon, I couldn't help noticing one of your love letters to Mr. Langdon under the coffee grounds. May I read it? *Dearest Walter Woogums: When we kiss, my toes ache. I live for it. Achingly, Ellie Sue*

Mrs. Langdon: My name's Fran.

Opus: Of course it is.

And:

Steve Dallas is lecturing the Boingers in the back of the RV.

Steve: No boozin', no spittin', no mooning the audience, no...uh....hold it. WHO'S DRIVING?

Opus: Keep your pants on. I pushed cruise control.
Old 06-05-2001, 04:37 AM

I still say The Far Side was the greatest ever, but Bloom County was right up there with it, a beautiful bright star in the firmament that was the golden age of the comics, the 1980's.

Sigh.

I remember my favorite character was Oliver. "Bloody difficult being an agnostic these days." Him and his Banana(tm).

I remember the DeathTounge/Billy and the Boingers tour coming to a premature end when Bill the Cat got "caught with his pants up" with a nun.

I remember the machine the aliens used on Steve Dallas' brain was called a "Gephardization Machine".

I particularly remember one strip...it had no dialouge, just Opus coming upon a billboard garishly proclaiming the dangers of snorting dandelions. After looking at the billboard for several frames, he turns and looks at a dandelion growing next to it. Then he snorts it.

Someone else pointed out that the animal rights storyline was one of the signs that the strip was declining. While I never like being preached to, and I didn't really agree with what he was preaching, even in those strips Breathed was still able to make me laugh.

Sigh. Breathed. Larson. Watterston. Why did they have to leave us?