The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 01-04-2012, 09:04 AM

Mueller kinesiology tape. Does it really work?

Hi,

like the title states. Any testimonials to prove its positive qualities?
Advertisements  
Old 01-04-2012, 09:14 AM

Nope...all BS.

I'm sure you can find testimonials on it...Hell, you can find testimonials on people saying they talk to the dead, were abducted by aliens, and are the reincarnation of Jesus...doesn't make it true, though. Actual scientific studies have found it to be quite fake.

Edit: In more looking, I see this is a quetion about specific product, this:
http://www.muellersportsmed.com/tape.htm

Well...I suppose it could be, at best, the same as regular "sports tape" or an ACE wrap, but there's nothing about it that makes it any better, since kinesiology is all bunk.

Last edited by bouv; 01-04-2012 at 09:15 AM..
Old 01-04-2012, 09:31 AM

The specific statement that intrigued me was, Designed to help increase the natural blood flow around the muscle... So, I was hoping to hear any confirmation of this from those who actually used the tape and felt the effects, maybe?

Pardon my inaccurate use of the term, testimonials. You are right, bouv, we hear all sort of bogus testimonials around about all sorts of stuff.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouv View Post
Well...I suppose it could be, at best, the same as regular "sports tape" or an ACE wrap, but there's nothing about it that makes it any better, since kinesiology is all bunk.
You seem to be confusing kinesiology aka human kinetics (the study of human movement) and applied kinesiology, an alternative medicine used by chiropractors that attempts to correlate muscle movement with unrelated maladies such as allergies.

Your assessment of the former as bunk is incorrect, but the latter has been debunked and is not accepted as valid by professional chiropractic associations.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illegitimus View Post
The specific statement that intrigued me was, Designed to help increase the natural blood flow around the muscle... So, I was hoping to hear any confirmation of this from those who actually used the tape and felt the effects, maybe?

Pardon my inaccurate use of the term, testimonials. You are right, bouv, we hear all sort of bogus testimonials around about all sorts of stuff.
IANAD, my lay understanding is one of the things that therapeutic taping is supposed accomplish is to create compressive forces on the muscle in order to better oxygenate it. There are few studies that support positive effects of KT tape, but it's a relatively young therapy.

I would think compression clothing and sleeves offer the same (or better) results without the fuss, and compression is already used clinically to enhance blood flow (i.e., prevention of venal thrombosis).
Old 01-05-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Eyed Girl View Post
IANAD, my lay understanding is one of the things that therapeutic taping is supposed accomplish is to create compressive forces on the muscle in order to better oxygenate it. There are few studies that support positive effects of KT tape, but it's a relatively young therapy.

I would think compression clothing and sleeves offer the same (or better) results without the fuss, and compression is already used clinically to enhance blood flow (i.e., prevention of venal thrombosis).
Alright, according to their website, Mueller tape is supposed to:

Quote:
...lift the skin to help maintain flexibility, improve circulation, and relieve pain. By microscopically lifting the skin from the muscle and improving circulation, pressure and irritation are decreased to help alleviate pain.
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that there is no scientific evidence demonstrating this claim or its effectiveness.