The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-04-2012, 09:04 AM
illegitimus illegitimus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Mueller kinesiology tape. Does it really work?

Hi,

like the title states. Any testimonials to prove its positive qualities?
Reply With Quote
Advertisements  
  #2  
Old 01-04-2012, 09:14 AM
bouv bouv is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Nope...all BS.

I'm sure you can find testimonials on it...Hell, you can find testimonials on people saying they talk to the dead, were abducted by aliens, and are the reincarnation of Jesus...doesn't make it true, though. Actual scientific studies have found it to be quite fake.

Edit: In more looking, I see this is a quetion about specific product, this:
http://www.muellersportsmed.com/tape.htm

Well...I suppose it could be, at best, the same as regular "sports tape" or an ACE wrap, but there's nothing about it that makes it any better, since kinesiology is all bunk.

Last edited by bouv; 01-04-2012 at 09:15 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-04-2012, 09:31 AM
illegitimus illegitimus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
The specific statement that intrigued me was, Designed to help increase the natural blood flow around the muscle... So, I was hoping to hear any confirmation of this from those who actually used the tape and felt the effects, maybe?

Pardon my inaccurate use of the term, testimonials. You are right, bouv, we hear all sort of bogus testimonials around about all sorts of stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-05-2012, 09:35 AM
Brown Eyed Girl Brown Eyed Girl is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouv View Post
Well...I suppose it could be, at best, the same as regular "sports tape" or an ACE wrap, but there's nothing about it that makes it any better, since kinesiology is all bunk.
You seem to be confusing kinesiology aka human kinetics (the study of human movement) and applied kinesiology, an alternative medicine used by chiropractors that attempts to correlate muscle movement with unrelated maladies such as allergies.

Your assessment of the former as bunk is incorrect, but the latter has been debunked and is not accepted as valid by professional chiropractic associations.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-05-2012, 09:52 AM
Brown Eyed Girl Brown Eyed Girl is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by illegitimus View Post
The specific statement that intrigued me was, Designed to help increase the natural blood flow around the muscle... So, I was hoping to hear any confirmation of this from those who actually used the tape and felt the effects, maybe?

Pardon my inaccurate use of the term, testimonials. You are right, bouv, we hear all sort of bogus testimonials around about all sorts of stuff.
IANAD, my lay understanding is one of the things that therapeutic taping is supposed accomplish is to create compressive forces on the muscle in order to better oxygenate it. There are few studies that support positive effects of KT tape, but it's a relatively young therapy.

I would think compression clothing and sleeves offer the same (or better) results without the fuss, and compression is already used clinically to enhance blood flow (i.e., prevention of venal thrombosis).
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-05-2012, 10:09 AM
Brown Eyed Girl Brown Eyed Girl is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Eyed Girl View Post
IANAD, my lay understanding is one of the things that therapeutic taping is supposed accomplish is to create compressive forces on the muscle in order to better oxygenate it. There are few studies that support positive effects of KT tape, but it's a relatively young therapy.

I would think compression clothing and sleeves offer the same (or better) results without the fuss, and compression is already used clinically to enhance blood flow (i.e., prevention of venal thrombosis).
Alright, according to their website, Mueller tape is supposed to:

Quote:
...lift the skin to help maintain flexibility, improve circulation, and relieve pain. By microscopically lifting the skin from the muscle and improving circulation, pressure and irritation are decreased to help alleviate pain.
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that there is no scientific evidence demonstrating this claim or its effectiveness.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright 2013 Sun-Times Media, LLC.