The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 01-11-2012, 09:11 AM

Are there any antiperspirants (not deodorants) that don't contain aluminum?

It appears that after decades of antiperspirant use, my pits are throwing up the white flag and getting a rash. I think it might be from the aluminum compounds in antiperspirant, and my doctor agrees. For further confirmation, my sister reports the same problem.

I am looking for an antiperspirant that contains no aluminum, but it appears to be as fruitful as trying to find kosher ham. I am trying Tom's of Maine, but there's some ingredient in there that is actively irritating my pits, which even regular antiperspirants didn't do. I've tried the deodorant crystal as well as other deodorant-only products, and had no luck.

So, are there ANY antiperspirants that are aluminum-free?

Last edited by It's Not Rocket Surgery!; 01-11-2012 at 09:12 AM..
Advertisements  
Old 01-11-2012, 09:52 AM

My husband developed a late-in-life allergy to something in his antiperspirant and solved it just by switching to an unscented variety. Have you tried something like Ban unscented? That's what he uses now, and he's been rash-free for at least 6 months.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudden Kestrel View Post
My husband developed a late-in-life allergy to something in his antiperspirant and solved it just by switching to an unscented variety. Have you tried something like Ban unscented? That's what he uses now, and he's been rash-free for at least 6 months.
Yeah, I last used Almay's fragrance-free antiperspirant. No dice.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:32 AM

I have felt your pain

I discovered this decades ago. You are not alone and the manufacturers know it too. Therefore, there are always alternatives sitting right there on the same shelf. The big secret is to rotate the package around and read the ingredients label.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Bundy View Post
I discovered this decades ago. You are not alone and the manufacturers know it too. Therefore, there are always alternatives sitting right there on the same shelf. The big secret is to rotate the package around and read the ingredients label.
Thanks for the snark, but so far I have tried this and if the label says "anti-perspirant", the ingredients say "Aluminum Zirconium Tetrachlorohydrex Gly" or another related aluminum ingredient. I'm hoping there's an exception, maybe somewhere outside Target and Walgreens if necessary.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:55 AM

I have read that Adidas Action 3 anti - perspiration is aluminum free, but I read it was on an older website, so it may not be true. If you see it, though, check it out. Also, there might be some brands of women's that don't have it and don't smell like a garden.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Not Rocket Surgery! View Post
Thanks for the snark, but so far I have tried this and if the label says "anti-perspirant", the ingredients say "Aluminum Zirconium Tetrachlorohydrex Gly" or another related aluminum ingredient. I'm hoping there's an exception, maybe somewhere outside Target and Walgreens if necessary.
I used to work in the industry. The issue is that an "anti-perspirant" is actually an OTC drug (as it affects a bodily function). The only active ingredients which the FDA allows manufacturers to put in a product and call it an anti-perspirant are several different aluminum salts.

There have occasionally been funky products like the "crystal" that claim to reduce perspiration without aluminum salts, but I've never heard of one which works well.

Short of it: no, you're not going to find an actual anti-perspirant product (at least, not at a big store) which doesn't contain aluminum salts.

Last edited by kenobi 65; 01-11-2012 at 11:01 AM..
Old 01-11-2012, 11:02 AM

http://www.amazon.com/HyperDri-Alumi.../dp/B0041HVLKG

"HyperDri is a revolutionary antiperspirant. HyperDri is the WORLD'S FIRST aluminum-free antiperspirant. There have been many aluminum-free "deodorants", but none that addressed the wetness issue of Hyperhidrosis"
Old 01-11-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pai325 View Post
I have read that Adidas Action 3 anti - perspiration is aluminum free, but I read it was on an older website, so it may not be true. If you see it, though, check it out. Also, there might be some brands of women's that don't have it and don't smell like a garden.
It looks like the Adidas stuff has been discontinued. Figures.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beagledave View Post
http://www.amazon.com/HyperDri-Alumi.../dp/B0041HVLKG

"HyperDri is a revolutionary antiperspirant. HyperDri is the WORLD'S FIRST aluminum-free antiperspirant. There have been many aluminum-free "deodorants", but none that addressed the wetness issue of Hyperhidrosis"
Wow - $25 a pop! I may have to bite the bullet and try it, though.

Last edited by It's Not Rocket Surgery!; 01-11-2012 at 11:13 AM..
Old 01-11-2012, 11:19 AM

Holy hell, that's expensive. If you do try it, come back and let us know if/how well it worked out for you, okay?
Old 01-11-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehorseshoe View Post
Holy hell, that's expensive. If you do try it, come back and let us know if/how well it worked out for you, okay?
Um, I dunno. Apparently you have to apply it with your hands, which increases the ick factor. Then again, I would have the driest hands on the block.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:48 PM

NOt mean spirited

Quote:
My comment was not meant to be mean spirited. I find both types on my shelves. I would suggest trying the dollar stores. You might save money and your skin. Propylene glycol is what the non aluminum ones use. I have a Right Guard Sport I'm reading from now. It cost a dollar at Dollar Tree. This is a popular brand.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:12 AM

Those deodorant stones are an aluminum compound, I always found it kind of funny. It is pretty much just a crystalline form of the active ingredient in most deodorant. They never seemed to work worth a darn, I assume a solution is a more effective method of application.

I know you are looking for anti-antiperspirants specifically, but it is worth mentioning that for those of us that can not stand antiperspirants, there does not seem to be much choice for either unscented or effective non aluminum compound based products.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:
You might save money and your skin. Propylene glycol is what the non aluminum ones use. I have a Right Guard Sport I'm reading from now. It cost a dollar at Dollar Tree. This is a popular brand.
That's not an anti-perspirant; it's a deodorant. While the two terms tend to get used interchangeably, they mean different things. Read the front of the label; I guarantee you it doesn't contain the word "anti-perspirant". It'll help keep you from smelling, but it won't do a thing to keep your underarms dry.

Last edited by kenobi 65; 01-12-2012 at 02:58 PM..
Old 01-12-2012, 03:25 PM
Non sum ergo non cogito

Quote:
My comment was not meant to be mean spirited. I find both types on my shelves. I would suggest trying the dollar stores. You might save money and your skin. Propylene glycol is what the non aluminum ones use. I have a Right Guard Sport I'm reading from now. It cost a dollar at Dollar Tree. This is a popular brand.
Just googled Right Guard and I see a picture of the Right Guard Sport package, distinctly saying deodorant, not antiperspirant, on the front.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:36 PM

I stand corrected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadjun View Post
Just googled Right Guard and I see a picture of the Right Guard Sport package, distinctly saying deodorant, not antiperspirant, on the front.
I stand corrected on this important nuance. I do use the terms interchangeably because I don't have a problem staying dry. I don't want to stink too much though. Like the ad said, "Never let em' see you sweat." Go ahead, watch me sweat. I don't care, but at least you don't have to hold your nose.

PS. Another personal opinion is that I would not want something to stop my sweat. I want my natural radiator mechanism working unimpaired.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
PS. Another personal opinion is that I would not want something to stop my sweat. I want my natural radiator mechanism working unimpaired.
Some people have leaky radiators.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:43 AM

I second the Klima hyper-dri. Best antiperspirant I have tried. I know its a bit pricey, but worth it to not soak my shirt during meetings. It took a few days to really kick in, but I wont bother with anything else now.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amblydoper View Post
Some people have leaky radiators.
I don't see much of a cooling effect from pit sweat unless I am wearing a sleeveless shirt (which is almost never), so I opt for the stink-controlling properties of antiperspirant.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:46 AM

Since this thread has been reopened, I'll update with the info that I now use Sweat Block wipes.

They still contain aluminum, but you don't use them every day so you aren't exposed as much. Although the instructions don't tell you, you can easily get 3-4 uses out of each wipe. I supplement with deodorant and do fine, at least when it's not super hot outside. Walmart sells them.

During summer, I use regular antiperspirant. It seems to take several months of daily antiperspirant use to give me a rash, so all is well.

Last edited by It's Not Rocket Surgery!; 02-07-2013 at 10:47 AM..
Old 02-07-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
During summer, I use regular antiperspirant. It seems to take several months of daily antiperspirant use to give me a rash, so all is well.
That makes some sense. From what my scientists told me when I worked in the category, anti-perspirants work by the aluminum salts forming little plugs in your pores. If you're "starting from scratch", it takes a number of days of using an anti-perspirant for a substantial number of the plugs to form. When we would do clinical testing on new anti-perspirants, we had our test subjects avoid using any anti-perspirant for 17 days before the test, to give their bodies time to "flush" out the plugs from their regular product.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:26 AM

Its sorta messy, but have you tried putting baking soda on your pits? I have heard of it, but could never wrap my head around the concept.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:23 AM

thread re antiperspirants w/o aluminum

Just wanted to drop a note of thanks on this topic. I've understood there's a difference between anitperspirants and deodorants but didn't get the aluminum distinction. I've been using tom's of maine for several years in order to avoid aluminum (because I don't want alzheimer's not because I get rashes.) Unable to find it in the grocery store recently, I bought a Dove Men +Care product because it didn't have aluminum. I was perplexed that this was the only one on the shelf that didn't have aluminum; now I understand the two reasons why; 1) it's a deodorant and 2) in order to be called an "antiperspirant" it needs to have aluminum. Since I've clearly been making due with "deodorant" for several years without issue, you've helped me radically expand the anti-stink options available to me Thanks!
Old 04-18-2013, 11:46 AM

The absolute best 100% natural deodorant is fresh lime juice. Cut a lime in half, give it a squeeze as you apply it to your underarms. Keep cut limes in a ziplock or plastic and store in the refrigerator. One application is good for 48 hours. Very effective.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:31 PM

I could be wrong, but I believe that it is the aluminum in antiperspirants that actually keeps you from sweating. Those without aluminum are just deodorants.

Anyway, try giving your body a rest from aluminum by only wearing antiperspirants during warm months and when engaging in sweaty activities, otherwise wear deodorant (natural or OTC).
Old 04-18-2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrooks View Post
...(because I don't want alzheimer's not because I get rashes.) ...
That's an urban legend based on speculation that aluminum caused Alzheimer's; the Alzheimer's Association themselves say that there isn't any link:

Quote:
Reality: During the 1960s and 1970s, aluminum emerged as a possible suspect in Alzheimer’s. This suspicion led to concern about exposure to aluminum through everyday sources such as pots and pans, beverage cans, antacids and antiperspirants. Since then, studies have failed to confirm any role for aluminum in causing Alzheimer’s. Experts today focus on other areas of research, and few believe that everyday sources of aluminum pose any threat.
The same is also true of links between aluminum and (breast) cancer (a link, if any, may be due to other chemicals used, such as parabens).
Old 07-11-2013, 06:35 PM

not a stinker

I am one of those lucky people who do not stink when I sweat, (and yes people have been telling me all of my life that I smell good) but I still do not like the feeling of wet underarms, so I buy antiperspirants not deodorants.
I have been on the hunt for a natural alternative for years and am not at all interestested in scented variations.
I do occasionally worry about blocking my body from sweating but then figured I sweat enough from my head and between my breasts that I doubt blocking this area is doing all that much harm, but of course I do not know that for sure.
I am however still interested in a non-aluminum affordable version of an antiperspirant (meaning that it doesn't cost an arm and a leg).
Old 07-11-2013, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathercubed View Post
I am however still interested in a non-aluminum affordable version of an antiperspirant (meaning that it doesn't cost an arm and a leg).
As I noted when this thread was originally active, if you're in the U.S., antiperspirants are considered to be an OTC drug by the FDA, and the only active ingredients which the FDA allows for antiperspirancy are aluminum salts. So, unfortunately, it's a fruitless hunt for you, unless and until someone develops a new sort of product and gets it approved by the FDA.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:26 AM

what about Old Spice Swagger?

In reading the label on the Old Spice Swagger Deodorant active ingredients are:
Dipropylene Glycol; Water; Propylene Glycol; Sodium Stearate; Fragrance; PPG-3 Myristyl Ether; Tetrasodium Edta and Blue 1
Could this be Aluminum free or is in included in one of the above?
Old 09-16-2013, 10:39 AM

Guest 108: By your own words Swagger is a DEODERANT, not a ANTIPERSPIRANT. See note 15.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:51 AM

I genuinely didn't think this many people didn't know the difference between antiperspirant and deodorant. It's right there in the name!
Old 09-16-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speaker for the Dead View Post
I genuinely didn't think this many people didn't know the difference between antiperspirant and deodorant. It's right there in the name!
Speaking as someone who worked in the industry for years: you'd be very surprised. An awful lot of people use the terms interchangeably, and don't stop to think about the fact that the terms describe two different functions.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:55 AM

It's just a deodorant, not an antiperspirant. Plain ol' deodorants don't need to have aluminium. (Other than the crystal deodorants, which are alum and work reasonably well, IME.)