Photo of Princess Di's Death: Real or Fake?

I believed that there was no such thing, so I did a search. Unfortunately I was wrong; however, I am able to convince myself that the photo was fake so the image won’t bother me so much. I have no problem with the reality of photos taken at the crash site in which one can merely see the outside of the car and people gathered around it. But I can’t fathom that someone actually got close enough to get a shot of Princess Diana’s body (basically of the upper body and head) still in the car. Please tell me that this is a fake. Also, I am very upset with myself for actually looking for this photo. :frowning:

I am pretty sure it is real if it is one of the ones I saw. I saw them on the web just a few days after her death. That was back in 1997 when there weren’t millions of people who were able to Photoshop anything they could think of and computers were much more limited so I was convinced it was real. If it makes you feel any better, that isn’t a true death photo. She didn’t die until later. I am not sure what is so unbelievable about it. The crash occurred because the car was being chased by professional photographers.

Look at Hitler’s death photo on the web if you want something to replace the mental image.

The car crashed because the driver was drunk. The tunnel was straight and 2 lanes wide each way, from what I recall. The paparazzi did not arrive until a while after the first people on the scene, according to the doctor passing by who tried to help Diana.

Maybe Paul thought it was a game to try and ditch the press. Maybe earlier there were a lot of them. Maybe it became a race, scooters vs. top-end Mercedes. (wonder who should win?)However, the problem when the accident occurred was not flocks of photographers on scooters harrassing the driver, it was a drunk driver going too fast and hitting the pillars on the side of the tunnel on a clear straight open road.

Maybe someone should have fluffed the pillars. :slight_smile:

Oh, honey, if *that *upsets, you, you need to stay off the Intranets entirely.

Oh, it’s not that I’m a precious little flower or anything. Gore and whatnot don’t really bother me. I just wasn’t expecting such a photo of The Princess and it caught me off guard. I’ll be ok. :slight_smile:

I go onto my friend Scott’s findadeath site every so often and get skeeved-out by celebrity *morgue *photos. Thelma Todd did *not *look her best. (But, depressingly, Sharon Tate looked better dead than I do alive . . .)

The one colour pic that alleges to be Diana, that I find on Google, looks weird. The doctor who arrived on the scene moments after the crash mentions treating Diana and she was wearing no seat belt - suggesting he could get at her through an open door or such. Several photos show the car with several doors open.

The car when finally lifted out of the underpass tunnel had the roof on, although I see one where it looks like the roof is off. The car-on-truck photos seem to show the roof had been put back in place covering the interior before it was hauled away but the door is still intact.

the question is - was Diana trapped (hence the alleged death photo of the open-topped wreck?) Otherwise, I would assume bodies that could be moved would have been removed before they chewed through the car to get the trapped bodies (like the driver, I assume). Why is there a Diana but no Dodi, presuming they did not sit as far from each other as possible? What is red in the background? The sequence linked below says all 4 were in the car until after they cut the roof off. The upholstery from the other (real) photos looks black not grey, the seat has some ribbing pattern that’s not part of the grey in that photo. What’s the angle? The red background looks like the wheel well of a truck beside the wreck, so we’re either looking over the inside of a door behind her head, or over the trunk (not visible) and the grey is the seat back.

http://www.eingles.com.br/curso/component/content/article/1-latest-news/719-princess-diana-death-photo.html
A good set of pics of the crash (real ones, no gore, I won’t link that one) show the wreck and say that the roof was cut off to free Diana and her bodyguard. The alleged death photo thus appears to be taken from the front, looking down. Yet the rear of the Mercedes is intact, and it is a very long flat square trunk. the trunk should be obvious and visible from that angle in the the questionable death photo, even if it is a badly foreshortened telephoto shot. The right rear door was open in the photo sequence, so I assume the grey(?) area is not the door. Where the trunk should be, a police or fireman is standing. Behind him is the middle of a firetruck, almost suggesting the truck is parked across(??) the tunnel or diagonally behind the limo. In pics of the car being hauled away, the trunk is still intact and no such emergency vehicle is seen. In pics of the car where you can see where the roof was sawed, the roof appears to have been removed from the rear posts near the top, leaving the rear posts intact up to the roofline. In the “death photo” the post appears to be mising or sawed off at the trunk level. The “before” pics taken near the hotel suggest that Diana was sitting on the passenger side. Where the car is being hauled away, you can see the passenger’s side rear door is intact, including the frame around the window. This is not visible in the “death photo”, instead it looks like the door is broken off at the window line or all bent up. In the linked photos, firemen appear to have put some red covers or sheets in some spots around the car (sharp metal gash protection?) and we see none of these in the photo, taken once they’ve sawed off and I assume carried the roof out of the way. Finally, we see what looks like a hand on a steering wheel in the picture. Look at the crash scene photos, and try to imagine the angle of the “death photo”. Either the car was moved (yet the red protection pieces photo shows it was not) or the photographer is standing on the hood to get the sterring wheel and Diana in the picture, but manages not to see the trunk. The debris in the front, the white rectangular piece, does not match.

Finally, (Duhh!!!) the “death photo” emergency workers are wearing yellow emergency vests, and in the real photo sequence, they are orange.

I suspect the “Diana death photo” is some unrelated crash of a smaller car, perhaps modified so as to look like Diana’s by some troll.

I was watching television when the program was interupted with the news of the car crash. I can vividly remember a video camera which was transmitting images back to the studio and being transmitted on air of the injured Di in the back of the car. At that point in time, the reporter said that she was still alive.

Cite for such footage, please?

If it’s the picture I remember downloading [from an nntp newsgroup] in 1997 I think it had an emergency number “999” visible in the picture? That led some to declare fake at the time as the France emergency number is 112 I think? Sorry to be vague but I can’t / won’t look for that picture at work!

Photographs were almost certainly taken of Diana before she was removed from the car but I think it highly unlikely the picture you can find on web is one of them.

The fact that pictures were taken should be no surprise. The first two people to approach the car after the accident were paparazzi, Serge Arnal and Romuald Rat (brilliant name for a paparazzo :smiley: ) and they were taking pictures as they went. In fairness they did not know at the time that the occupants were dead or fatally injured. At the inquest into Dodi and Diana’s deaths their photographs were shown to the jury (including the ones in md2000’s link) but a number were not put up on the Inquest web site as being too distressing to the relatives. I would assume these showed the dead and injured in the car.

Apart from the reasons md2000 gives for doubting the veracity of the picture online there one other point that seems to me fairly conclusive. According to the inquest Diana was trapped down in the space behind the front seat - not lying back in the seat. From the time when the first passing doctor arrived on the scene until she was moved out of the car she had doctors and paramedics surrounding her. The picture online is obviously late in the process as the roof has been cut back but there are no medical staff around her. Is the idea that Dr Martino and the others stepped back and stopped trying to stabalise her just so a photographer could get a picture?