Chicago Tourists

I’m considering a spring trip to Chicago, perhaps Memorial Day.

Looking at visiting the Art Institute, Field Museum and maybe a show at Buddy Guy’s club. Are those in reasonable (less than 30 minutes, “safe”) walking distance of each other?

Bonus question: Any suggestions for gluten-free dining in that area?

The Art Institute and Field Museum are definitely within walking distance of each other. If you cut through the park it’s about a 20 minute walk. It look’s like Buddy Guy’s is halfway between them.

Do you like sushi? Oysy, at 888 S. Michigan, was one of my favourite places to eat when I lived in Chicago.

I don’t know about walking; it might be a bit of a stretch. Certainly easy cab rides from each other.

Gluten free? We don’t do that in Chicago. Most of us don’t even know what it means. Pizza, Italian Beef, and Steaks, no problem!

A follow- up: The main purpose of the visit is the art museum. Most online guides to the city, even the ones for gluten free dining, are arranged by neighborhoods or areas. What is the area with the art museum called?

Looking for other things to “justify” the cost of travel. Timing will be determined by show schedules when Buddy Guy’s posts the May and June calendars. June would be good to catch a Stanley Cup Finals game with the Blackhawks and Caps. :wink:

The Art Institute is on the east side of “The Loop” (named for the elevated trains that meet up on a looped track over downtown streets). Most dining options in the Loop will be within walking distance of the Art Institute.

Missed the edit window: If you don’t mind walking further, or cabbing it, you could also easily get to River North or Streeterville, which are chock-full of dining options of all varieties.

The Field Museum is kind of off in its own little area with the Adler Planetarium and the Shedd Aquarium, called the “Museum Campus”; it’s basically one end of a large city park (Grant Park) that the museums have been plopped down in. You might try looking at options in the “South Loop” or “Printers’ Row”, but they’ll be a longer walk than the Loop is from the Art Institute, and probably fewer in number as well.

Thanks. That helps me narrow things down as I use the various websites.

This is exactly what I do EVERY FRICKEN TIME I visit Chicago. There is plenty of parking at the Field, it being so close to where the Bears play. I don’t try to walk to the Art Institute, though. There is a bus line that goes straight there, and it’s very easy to find.

Music at Legends doesn’t start until well after the museums close, and I’ve never had a problem parking close to Legends. (YMMV.) I’m not the man to ask about gluten-free, but I do believe they serve unbreaded chicken at Legends, so if you want to economize your motion that may be an option.

Have a great time. You’ve picked some very special places.

The Chicago Cultural Center (originally the main library) is a few blocks north of the Art Institute. Preston Bradley Hall is topped by a Tiffany dome. The mosaics are also worth looking at.

Gluten free–there’s an ap for that Gluten Free Allergy Chart and Ethnic Meal App – Gluten & Allergy Free Passport

If you don’t make it to Buddy Guy’s, I recommend Rosa’s (West Side, NOT walking distance), B.L.U.E.S. & Kingston Mines on Halsted (easy El ride north), or Lee’s Unleaded Blues (South Side, NOT walking distance, but one of the last neighborhood blues joints). Best record shop: the Jazz Record Mart!

The Art Institute and the Field are my two favorite museums. They’re both amazing. I’ve walked from the Field all the way up Michigan to somewhere past the Tribune Tower. I like walking because there’s always something to see and it gives me a feel for the size of the city.

But as others have said, there are buses that are easy to hop onto if you’re not interested in walking (or don’t have the time).

I’ll second the recommendation to go to the Chicago Cultural Center. It’s free and a nice place to stop if you’re walking up Michigan Avenue from the Art Institute to the Magnificent Mile. Looks like they have free tours if you’re interested. The first time I visited they had a really cool art exhibit; definitely check out events there. I’m pretty sure they have free wi-fi there as well.

I’d also recommend taking one of the architectural cruise tours. I think this is the one we’ve taken. If you’re interested in architecture at all and the weather is reasonable, it’ll be well worth the time and money.

Have fun. It’s a great city to visit.

These are the real architecture tours http://www.architecture.org/

Guess I’ll be the pedantic one :wink:

The name “Loop” predatesthe elevated trains.

My first trip to Chicago was Memorial Day weekend in 2008. The museums were PACKED with children on school trips. PACKED. The Shedd, the Field…all stuffed with kids, many clutching information-scavenger-hunt papers. We hit the Navy pier early and by the time we left, there was a sea of school buses parked three deep out in front. We had to walk a good long way to get past them all to get a cab. I have pictures, but I won’t bore you with them. So if you’d like time and quiet to contemplate exhibits…Memorial Day is not the optimal time.

I’ll second that emotion. I live in the heart of Chicago, and often feel OVERRUN with tourists. Not that I’m complaining, mind you; their money helps to fund our addiction to corrupt politicians. But I do try to avoid tourist attractions during high-tourist-holiday, and I recommend that savvy tourists do the same…

Went to NYC for Memorial Day but have this planned for Labor Day. Flying into O’Hare, staying in a hotel near the Art Institute.

Thanks again for the tips, welcome any new ones based on the revised timing.

Are you a baseball fan? The Cubs are even worse than usual this year, but that doesn’t mean you should pass up the chance to see a game at beautiful Wrigley Field. I see tickets on StubHub at less than face value for the Friday-to-Sunday Giants series, all day games.

(Don’t drive. Walk to the nearest Red Line stop and it’ll drop you just outside the right-field corner.)

Buy a CTA (public transport) there are bus lines that go to the museum areas.