The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

View Poll Results: Which fried chicken chain is the best?
Bojangles 16 7.24%
Churches 11 4.98%
Chick-fil-a 17 7.69%
KFC 61 27.60%
Popeyes 106 47.96%
Roy Rogers 4 1.81%
You forgot.... 6 2.71%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-18-2012, 02:14 PM

Which national fast-food chain has the best basic Fried Chicken?

Pull up a chair and bring several napkins. Lets talk fried chicken. The finger licking good stuff.

Whats your favorite fried chicken chain?

I know this may vary because the management could be horrible in one region and really good in another.

Good chicken can be really hard to find. There's nothing grosser than undercooked, half raw chicken. I was a KFC fan throughout my teens and twenties and then the franchise here went bad. They gave me a lot of half raw chicken and I stopped going to KFC.

My favorite? Popeyes, mild with red beans & rice on the side. I luv their biscuits too.
Advertisements  
Old 01-18-2012, 02:30 PM
Hoc nomen meum verum non est.
Charter Member

For fried chicken, we still prefer KFC Crispy. El Pollo Loco would be our default choice, but they grill their chicken instead.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:55 PM

Picked Church's based on chicken strips (I don't really care for chicken still on the bone). But I've never been to Bojangles or Roy Rogers. Chick-fil-A is a phenomenon that boggles my mind that people seek it out.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
For fried chicken, we still prefer KFC Crispy. El Pollo Loco would be our default choice, but they grill their chicken instead.
I agree with this 100% except in our house it is referred to as Extra Crispy.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:26 PM
Charter Member

I still prefer KFC Original, though Popeyes is close.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:29 PM

I picked Popeyes, though that might be more because I have to work to get it. KFC is my goto for friend chicken locally right now (original - I like the spice).
Old 01-18-2012, 03:37 PM

Does "basic" fried chicken exclude spicy varieties?
Old 01-18-2012, 03:41 PM

Popeye's.

It's not even close.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:46 PM
Charter Member

Popeye's here, although it's been probably near ten years since I've had it.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:10 PM
Charter Member

I voted for Popeye's, specifically the Popeye's at the intersection of Ponce de Leon and Boulevard. Much better that the Popeye's at the airport!
Old 01-18-2012, 04:27 PM

I said KFC because it's the only place I've had fast food fried chicken.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labdad View Post
I voted for Popeye's, specifically the Popeye's at the intersection of Ponce de Leon and Boulevard. Much better that the Popeye's at the airport!
You have a discerning palate, my friend. The Popeye's on Boulevard is indeed, as the cool kids say, the bomb.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:56 PM

Popeye's hands down. We had 2 here in town for FAR too short a time but they are both closed down now. There IS no decent fried chicken in Evansville Indiana now. *sad*
Old 01-18-2012, 06:07 PM
Charter Jays Fan

KFC changed their formu;a in Canada awhile ago and it's not as tasty as it used to be.

Popeye's is awesome. I get sick after eating it, though, just from all the grease, so I have it twice a year whenever I forget how stuffed it made me the last time.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:18 PM

Chik-Fil-A all the way.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:22 PM
Uncharted
Charter Member

Don't know if any of them still offer it but Wendy's had some great fried chicken (entire pieces, not just strips) so I voted Popeye's.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:58 PM

Popeye's, no contest. Mmmm, and there's one just down the street, you bastard!

Last edited by voltaire; 01-18-2012 at 09:00 PM..
Old 01-18-2012, 09:05 PM
Charter Member

Popeye's, by far. Worse, the bastards opened a store not a mile from my house. It's not fair!

Love the spicy chicken, but their plain is good too.

I can only assume the people who voted "Bojangle's" were confused by the butterfly design of the ballot.

Last edited by JohnT; 01-18-2012 at 09:06 PM..
Old 01-18-2012, 09:53 PM
Charter Member

I prefer Bojangles, but since we only have the choice of KFC and Popeyes, I am sad
Old 01-18-2012, 10:07 PM

Popeye's is generally my first choice. I've found KFC to vary a bit between locations, but the one nearest my house is pretty good.

Chick-Fil-A is...wrong. They have somehow made their chicken product into the only substance on Earth that doesn't taste at all like chicken. It doesn't really taste like anything, except for a faint flavor of rancid pickles.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:24 PM

We have ONLY KFC, and it's just as well, because I would be twice the size I am if we had a lot of chicken places around. I like KFC just fine, prefer the grilled.

Almost forgot, there's a stand in the food court at the mall called Chicken Now, which cooks chicken tenders to order. It's OK, you'd think it would be better. There was some fat/tendon in my chicken I bit into and it was a little queasy making, and it wasn't exactly crispy.

Last edited by salinqmind; 01-18-2012 at 10:26 PM..
Old 01-18-2012, 11:05 PM

My favorite fried chicken has nearly disappeared from the face of the Earth - Browns. Amazingly tasty, and the best sides. Popeye's is probably the closest in taste, but they don't have those wonderful mushrooms.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:06 PM

Was gonna say Bojangles, but , I haven't had that for 20 years...so therefore Popeye's...but, since they took away the Cajun sparkle and the fresh dipped onion rings I haven't been back.

Something is off at KFC...not the same quality as it was.

I been having them chicken bites at checkers with my homemade Cajun sparkle recently.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Popeye's, by far. Worse, the bastards opened a store not a mile from my house. It's not fair!
Same here, it's actually the closest fast food restaurant to me. Still, I manage to practice moderation; I don't think I've gone there in over a year.

Quote:
Love the spicy chicken, but their plain is good too.
Oh, mine HAS to be spicy. I've been there a couple times when they're temporarily out of spicy, and I just went elsewhere for something else. Though, their non-spicy is still way better than KFC, IMHO. And not only is KFC's chicken sub-par, but their sides are just sad. There's nothing like a delicious buttery Popeye's biscuit dipped in their red beans and rice!

Last edited by voltaire; 01-18-2012 at 11:51 PM..
Old 01-19-2012, 12:04 AM

Pollo Campero is an international fast-food chain, but in the US it might not be popular outside the Washington DC area. It's the best.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:13 AM

I will add this: We may not have Popey's anymore, but Rally's has boneless strips of chicken breasts, deep fried crispy, then slathered in garlis butter and parmesan cheese that are to DIE for. OMG are they good. Not basic fried chicken but... mmmmmmmmmmmm.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoke View Post
Popeye's.

It's not even close.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapSett View Post
Popeye's hands down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
Popeye's is awesome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by voltaire View Post
Popeye's, no contest.
Quote:
Popeye's, by far.
Amen, my friends.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:56 AM

Bojangles, hands down.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:13 AM

Somebody help me out as my memory isn't the best.

When I was a kiddie in the 70s I lived in the US. I remember KFC as being not only delicious, but pretty crispy and dry, and the batter was light in color.

I didn't eat any KFC for maybe 20 years. The next time I ordered it it was soggy, dark in color, and excessively greasy. I put that down to the individual franchise, but I have subsequently ordered it in several different countries, including the US, and found the same thing.

However I went to Popeye's recently and was delighted to find that it matched up with my memory of what I thought KFC was. Delicious, crispy and really tasty.

Am I misremembering? Was I actually eating Popeye's when I was a nipper, or has the KFC recipe changed?

(In other words I voted Popeye's.)
Old 01-19-2012, 08:17 AM

If I were back in the great city of Chicago.. it would be Harold's famous fried chicken.. and dammit I've been scarfing down half white salt and pepper when Barack was chillin in Hawaii trying to figure out what he was gonna do on the beach!!!!

National.. Popeyes.. totally.. I can't even get my kids to walk into KFC.. they fell so far off of the map. just fuckin terrible..
Old 01-19-2012, 08:30 AM

I love me some KFC, but I've got to give Popeye's the edge for better sides, rice and beans in particular. That stuff is like crack. They lose a few points for consistently shitty service.

BTW Roy Rogers only has 46 remaining restaurants, in only 8 states, and 18 of those locations are in Maryland. Not exactly a national chain (anymore).
Old 01-19-2012, 08:31 AM
Rich as a Lannister

I vote Popeye's and Bojangles. The Popeye's I ate at in Paducah, Ky., was utterly outstanding.

I dont' know if it's the location, I just got a good batch or what, but we got a bucket of chicken from an Ingel's grocery store in Asheville, NC, and I swear they had grannies back there frying it in their own kitchen. It was nearly the best fried chicken I've ever had in my life, home or restaurant. (The #1 spot goes to Mrs. Wilkes Boardinghouse in Savannah, Ga., which I literally had 20 years ago.)
Old 01-19-2012, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellen Cherry View Post
I vote Popeye's and Bojangles. The Popeye's I ate at in Paducah, Ky., was utterly outstanding.
I chose not to vote since I eat so little fried chicken. But I would have voted for Popeye's since I have preferred their praparations. We have one nearby and I have gotten take-out three times. The staff there act like they'd rather I didn't disturb them with my order so I quit wasting their time. A shame, too. The chicken is good, but their attitude sucks.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:09 AM
Rich as a Lannister

Well honey, come to Kentucky. The staff in Paducah treated me like family. Seriously!
Old 01-19-2012, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Well honey, come to Kentucky. The staff in Paducah treated me like family. Seriously!
Next time I'm up that way, I definitely will. The ones in New Orleans were special, too.

This particular location has been jinxed for years and can't seem to keep the same occupant for more than a few months. It's had some good places pass through, most notably a Backyard Burger -- which was supreme! -- and even a Neely's Barbecue (from Memphis). But they never last. The joint must be "hanted."
Old 01-19-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krokodil View Post
Pollo Campero is an international fast-food chain, but in the US it might not be popular outside the Washington DC area. It's the best.
There is one in Chicago on Pulaski at Western. I've never been there, but have seen the sign as I walked from Western to the Aldi.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffa View Post
There is one in Chicago on Pulaski at Western. I've never been there, but have seen the sign as I walked from Western to the Aldi.
What Chicago do you live in where Pulaski and Western intersect?
Old 01-19-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoke View Post
Popeye's.

It's not even close.
This. Looooove that chicken! Especially the 'spicy'. Mashed potatos, red beans, and biscuits are also great.

Church's is second. Good, but will pick Popeye's 95 times outta 100 over Church's.

KFC is disgusting. They pressure cook their chicken in grease, or so I'm told. Anyway, it is definitely the greasiest by far.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:

I dont' know if it's the location, I just got a good batch or what, but we got a bucket of chicken from an Ingel's grocery store in Asheville, NC, and I swear they had grannies back there frying it in their own kitchen. It was nearly the best fried chicken I've ever had in my life, home or restaurant. (The #1 spot goes to Mrs. Wilkes Boardinghouse in Savannah, Ga., which I literally had 20 years ago.)
Ooh! Which Ingles, please? Wingles, in West Asheville? Pingles, on Patton Ave? Ningles, in North Asheville? Swingles, out on Swannanoa River Road? Or antoher one?
Old 01-19-2012, 10:55 AM

Who are all these people voting for KFC? And have they even tried Popeye's?

Inspired by this thread I picked up some Popeye's last night. Magnificent!

Last edited by Spoke; 01-19-2012 at 10:56 AM..
Old 01-19-2012, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

KFC's grilled chicken got written up in my nutrition newsletter has the healthiest fast food chicken. Just FYI.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:12 AM

Hoping not to disrupt the thread with this sidetrack, but if you look (looked) carefully at the scenes shot in Fort Knox in Goldfinger (1964) you can see one of the earliest stand-alone KFC joints. Not too long before that KFC was just a franchised product served at local restaurants. I remember the first one in Nashville but I have forgotten the name of the place where it was served as a marquee item.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:15 AM

Popeyes, hands down. You know how folks say "everything tastes like chicken"? I do believe that they're referring to church's. Just bland as all get out.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:39 AM

Not to hijack the thread (or at least, not too much), is there a fast food chain that makes terrible fried chicken but you strangely like it? Perhaps even addicted to? See, we've got a local chain restaraunt called Boat n' Net. They do burgers, fried fish, and fried chicken. The general consensus all over town is that the chicken in particular is pretty bad. Terribly unhealthy. I swear, a quarter of the overall weight is grease. And yet I don't know anybody that doesn't agree is a big guilty pleasure.

Anybody else experience this odd phenomenon?
Old 01-19-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeldar View Post
Hoping not to disrupt the thread with this sidetrack, but if you look (looked) carefully at the scenes shot in Fort Knox in Goldfinger (1964) you can see one of the earliest stand-alone KFC joints. Not too long before that KFC was just a franchised product served at local restaurants. I remember the first one in Nashville but I have forgotten the name of the place where it was served as a marquee item.
Here's some support for my memory of things: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kentucky_Fried_Chicken
Old 01-19-2012, 01:07 PM

Popeye's spicy is the best chicken, and their biscuits are great! They don't need to be buttered because they contain a buttery flavored substance all through. And the beans and rice side dish is excellent.

I used to like Kentucky Fried Chicken original recipe, but for many years the so-called original tastes nothing like it used to, now very bland. And the Extra Crispy never had anything great in the flavor department. KFC does have the most tasty coleslaw of any chicken place.

I really dislike the blandness of Churches. It looks like fried chicken but maybe because the pieces are too big, tastes blah. A lot of people from my job eat it on Tuesdays when they have a special for real cheap.

In St. Louis MO there's a chain called Lee's that has some pretty good chicken. They also sell broccoli pasta salad and baked beans as some of the available side dishes.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Dog View Post
Not to hijack the thread (or at least, not too much), is there a fast food chain that makes terrible fried chicken but you strangely like it? Perhaps even addicted to? See, we've got a local chain restaraunt called Boat n' Net. They do burgers, fried fish, and fried chicken. The general consensus all over town is that the chicken in particular is pretty bad. Terribly unhealthy. I swear, a quarter of the overall weight is grease. And yet I don't know anybody that doesn't agree is a big guilty pleasure.

Anybody else experience this odd phenomenon?
In San Antonio, you spell "Boat 'n Net", Bill Miller.

Flavorless fried chicken, yet bizarrely addictive for all the salt you need to put on it to make it palatable.

Last edited by JohnT; 01-19-2012 at 01:45 PM..
Old 01-19-2012, 01:49 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

There are still Roy Rogers restaurants somewhere?? I thought they had folded years ago. Used to really like their roast beef sandwiches.

(I picked Popeyes...best fast food fried chicken in our area, IMHO)

-XT
Old 01-19-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
In San Antonio, you spell "Boat 'n Net", Bill Miller.

Flavorless fried chicken, yet bizarrely addictive for all the salt you need to put on it to make it palatable.
hmm You know, I don't think I've had chicken from Bill Miller. I've had turkey, and brisket of course. Think I'll give a try tomorrow then. For science, of course.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:53 PM
Rich as a Lannister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
Ooh! Which Ingles, please? Wingles, in West Asheville? Pingles, on Patton Ave? Ningles, in North Asheville? Swingles, out on Swannanoa River Road? Or antoher one?
Long Shoals road? Does that sound right? It is near 26... there has been a lot of development in that area in the last couple of years.