The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

View Poll Results: Do you have a few books of Forever Stamps that you are using?
Yes - I'm immune to rate increases for awhile 36 54.55%
No - I'll have to buy the higher priced stamps 21 31.82%
Whats a Postage Stamp? (I have no real answer) 6 9.09%
Other 3 4.55%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-21-2012, 09:53 PM

Postage Rate Increase Jan 22 - Do you have a stockpile of Forever Stamps?

Yet another Postage Rate increase Jan 22. I'm curious how much extra revenue this might raise. Don't most people have a stockpile of Forever Stamps? I've got four books worth myself. My mom bought a couple hundred dollars worth the first time they were issued several years ago. I'm not sure how many books she got, but I know she won't be running out anytime soon. I do know there's been at least five or six rate increases since the first Forever Stamps were issued. Mom is probably saving at least seven or eight cents on every letter. Maybe even a dime.

Do you have a few books of Forever Stamps that you are using?

I actually prefer a rate increase over the alternative of cutting service. I just wish they'd quit screwing around and jack up the rates at least a dime. We all know these tiny rate increases aren't enough to remedy the massive debt they are incurring.

Last edited by aceplace57; 01-21-2012 at 09:57 PM..
Advertisements  
Old 01-21-2012, 10:01 PM

I checked yes, but more well for a little. The ones I have may be offensive with their Madonna and Child. I saw little downside to ove buying Christmas stamps.

I would gladly give up Saturday delivery. The Post Office is highly useful. I would hate to lose them. One more institution with crippling legacy costs.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
I've got four books worth myself. My mom bought a couple hundred dollars worth
A couple hundred dollars worth? Do you folks work for Valu-Pak? I use two postage stamps a year, three if my life has completely gone to hell. The last book of twenty that I bought has the Statue of Liberty on them and are worth 39 cents. I have one left.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:25 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Yeah, I've got one full and two partial books of Forever Stamps.

At the rate I mail stuff these days, that's probably about a five year supply.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:28 AM

Nah, I only have 8 or so forever stamps left. I bought this book of them 2 years ago, though, so I don't think I'll be too hurt by the increase.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:40 AM

I have a book and a half of Forever stamps. Since I send exactly one piece of mail per month, I think I'm good.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:59 AM
Devout Christian Louboutin

My "stockpile" is one book. I really only mail sympathy cards any more, and the occasionally wedding RSVP, but often they come pre-stamped.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:00 AM
Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space

I was mailing a couple of packages -- yeah, really -- on Thursday, so picked up two books then. I'd had it vaguely in mind to do so, but doubt I would have made a special trip if I hadn't been in the PO anyway.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:13 AM

My family still mails all our monthly bills so we use at least seven stamps a month. Stamp usage hasn't really changed for my mom or us in forty years. The same types of bills always arrives like clockwork every month. I don't mind mailing them out. I've been doing it every month since leaving college in 1985.

Last edited by aceplace57; 01-22-2012 at 10:17 AM..
Old 01-22-2012, 10:36 AM

I purchased two books when the Forever stamps were first introduced. I still have a book and a half, and have not personally used a single one. The missing ones have been given to people at work. My grandma carried a book of stamps in her wallet all the time, so I've picked up the habit.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:25 AM

I send out hand-written thank you cards after Christmas and birthdays, and a lot of Christmas cards... plus I've also gotten married and had a baby in the last three years, so we use a lot of stamps. We use about a hundred around the holidays and another hundred the rest of the year. I did just buy a batch of them.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:30 AM

I use two to four stamps a month. I was unaware that rates were increasing, but I think I'd rather absorb the extra ten cents or so on my monthly budget than risk a "stockpile" of stamps, since I'm sure I'd misplace them before I needed them.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:08 PM
And Finn The Human
Charter Member

I buy rolls of 100 at a time for work and am proud of myself for being so smart as to get Forever Stamps last time. I neither remembered that I had bought that type nor did I know the rates were about to increase.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:14 PM

I said 'what's a postage stamp?'. Basically by that I mean that I so rarely mail anything that it's not worth it to me to stock up on stamps. I'd lose them by the time I needed one anyway so there's really no point.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antinor01 View Post
I said 'what's a postage stamp?'. Basically by that I mean that I so rarely mail anything that it's not worth it to me to stock up on stamps. I'd lose them by the time I needed one anyway so there's really no point.
This pretty much describes me too. I might mail 3 letters a year that require a stamp. Most of the time if I'm mailing something, I'm using an envelope that doesn't require I put postage on it.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:36 PM

I think I have mailed one thing in the last three years. And I used Forever stamps purchased several years before that. I did put two on, because I don't trust the foreverhood. I still have 15 in the book, so mailing one thing every three years with 2 stamps,so I have 21 year stockpile. If I am still living in 22 years, and want to mail something, I will curse this day for not buying a couple more I guess.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I just wish they'd quit screwing around and jack up the rates at least a dime. We all know these tiny rate increases aren't enough to remedy the massive debt they are incurring.
I could be wrong, but I thought there was a law that says they can only raise it by 1 and only have one raise every X months.
As far as stock piling them. I can't imagine doing that. At work, I go through about a roll every two months and it wouldn't even be worth it there. I can't imagine laying out (for example) $264 now to save $6 over the course of a year. At home, it would just be a waste of money to buy any more then I need right now. I can get a sheet of twenty for $9.00 after the increase, it's not worth saving 20 cents per sheet for what's going to last me years.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:11 PM
Charter Member

Forever stamps don't work for us.
Most of our postage is sending birthday cards/Christmas cards to Germany, so we have to pay whatever the full price is at the time. No, you cannot slap a couple of "forever" stamps on there and get away with it for foreign postage.

We don't send that much in the US but have probably 20 forever stamps which will probably last a year.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:39 PM

Just checked my supply. I have 14 forever stamps left in a book of 18 that I bought in 2009. So, extrapolating the usage rate, I calculate that I have about ten years' worth of stamps here.
Online Bill Pay FTW.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:47 PM

I'd guess that most people don't "stockpile" anything because of inconsequential price changes. 7 cents a month isn't the kind of money that's meaningful, even to the poorest person's budget.

Last edited by Lord Feldon; 01-22-2012 at 02:49 PM..
Old 01-22-2012, 04:23 PM

I voted Other, because I have a (small) stockpile of Forever Stamps, AND I'll need to buy a bunch of 1-cent stamps.

You see, a while ago, after we bought those Forever Stamps, we discovered that we also had a stockpile of older 37 cent stamps. We bought those when we were preparing for our wedding. They were supposed to be used for invitations, but we bought way too many. I think we had around 90 when we first discovered this cache -- about four years after our wedding. So I've been slowly using them up, adding the additional postage each time the rate goes up. There are only 19 left, but now I have to stick on four stamps to make up the full rate: 37 + 5 + 2 +1 = 45 cents.

I'll be glad when these 19 stamps are finally all used, and I can start using the Forever Stamps that have been sitting in my desk for -- well, it seems like forever.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:21 PM

I haven't used a stamp in four years. The Internet makes the US mail pretty useless.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amblydoper View Post
I haven't used a stamp in four years. The Internet makes the US mail pretty useless.
Don't know about that. Just this month I needed to mail some legal documents, and they wouldn't accept a fax or email copy.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Feldon View Post
I'd guess that most people don't "stockpile" anything because of inconsequential price changes. 7 cents a month isn't the kind of money that's meaningful, even to the poorest person's budget.
You're right, but postage stamps and gasoline prices are two things that people just act totally irrational about. You would not believe the insane level of complaining I had to hear about today over a single penny per letter. I think 45c is still a good deal to mail a letter across the country, but I have only used a total of three stamps in the last 5 or 6 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suranyi View Post
There are only 19 left, but now I have to stick on four stamps to make up the full rate: 37 + 5 + 2 +1 = 45 cents.

I'll be glad when these 19 stamps are finally all used, and I can start using the Forever Stamps that have been sitting in my desk for -- well, it seems like forever.
That seems like a lot of work to use up $7 in postage. Double up the 37s, take the loss, and move on with your life.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:52 AM

I actually do mail out a few things from time to time. I just bought 20 Forever stamps. I didn't know about the rate increase until now, so I'm glad I bought them. I'm pretty sure I'll use them up.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:57 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure how many books she got, but I know she won't be running out anytime soon. I do know there's been at least five or six rate increases since the first Forever Stamps were issued. Mom is probably saving at least seven or eight cents on every letter. Maybe even a dime.
Actually, the Forever Stamp was first made available for purchase in 2007, and if your mother purchased her stamps at that time, she has probably lost money, or at very best broken even.

In inflation-adjusted dollars, a first-class stamp was cheaper in 2011 than it was in 2007. With the current price rise, the inflation-adjusted cost has risen slightly above the 2007 level, but only by 0.3c.

Sounds like those Forever Stamps were a really great investment.

Last edited by mhendo; 01-23-2012 at 02:58 AM..
Old 01-23-2012, 09:08 AM

I have maybe half a book left. I'll mail stuff maybe 3 times a month. I always buy breast cancer stamps, and am happy to do so.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

Don't you have to be so poor that the people in Africa make jokes about you before the cost of postage stamps becomes a concern? It still seems like a pretty good deal to me. There is no way I am hand delivering a letter from New York to a remote village in Alaska for a few tens of cents but they will do it every time.