Too Mild for the Pit: I hate Resumes

(also, I put this here because I don’t really want to get jumped on so much?)

I hate resumes. Hate. White-knuckled, hands-starting-to-shake, attack-bystanders-with-a-razor-blade hate.

No, I don’t mean the things you hand out to find a job, though I’m not mad fond of those, either. (I wish mine was a bit better, unemployed slob that I am.)

No, when I say resumes, I mean trauma resumes. What a weird thing to get mad about, right? The hell is a trauma resume? Let me start from the top.

Some yonks ago, I was a casual member of an online blog-group that I don’t care to link to, though it was an offshoot of a very successful one-man blog show that I still follow. It was, for want of a better word, extremely touchy-feely. It would link to people saying things like, ‘don’t forget that you are loved,’ and ‘we must hold together in the face of kyriarchial oppression,’ and ‘c-sections are another way that the system tries to control women’ and ‘these are the signs of shapist oppression’ and ‘Sucker Punch was a very empowering movie and men just don’t understand’ and ‘westerners practicing yoga is just another form of cultural imperialism.’ That sort of thing. Hugs and kisses and people going {{{{{{Username}}}}} and putting Trigger Warnings on everything.

(Ohh, don’t even get me goddamned started on those ruddy Trigger Warnings…)

But I digress. What this amounted to, for the most part, was a support group. As a man with no small amount of rancid brain-garbage, I was looking for that. I wanted a place where I could anonymously go monkey-fuck and people would say, ‘there there, SBP, it must have been very hard for you. You’re a real trooper.’ That sort of nonsense.

But no. To get to that golden land of lovebombs, you had to get some cred first. What do I mean by ‘cred?’ I mean, you can’t just rock up and say ‘I live in anguish and can’t seem to find a cause for it.’ You can’t just say ‘my parents didn’t give me the attention that I seemed to have needed.’ You can’t just say ‘hey, I got picked on all the time as a kid because I was… I dunno, kinda nerdy.’

No. To get admission to the exclusive club of People Who Have Real Problems (and, thusly, People Who Have Earned Moral Authority Thereform), you have to have some real deep Lifetime-movie shit in your past. Getting beat up every day by your papa, getting touched up every day by your step-papa, people throwing rocks at you and calling you a faggot… pathos! It sells! Even if you just get this stuff by proxy, that’s good enough - so long as you can touch the livewire of true anguish. And this attitude sickens me.

You know why? Because if you have regular access to a computer such that you can type out people’s names with lots of goddamn brackets around them, then you are in the top 80% of the human race, easy. I would rather be any person in the United States - no, straight up shit forward, I would rather be any human being in the United States, regardless of how lowly or put upon or how many Bloody Maries they can make out of their lonely tears every day, then work in a Congolese copper mine or drag a barge up the Mekong River or work as a porter in Karachi. If you can get 1,500 calories in your stomach a day, then you’re a member of the upper crust of the human race, and I strongly urge some tupping perspective when it comes to your mental anguish!

But you know what? That’s not the important thing. The important thing is that there is always someone out there, living in the mass writhing squalor of man’s inhumanity to man and the obsolescence of the human being, who has it worse. Even now, EVEN NOW, those porters in Karachi are telling each other, man, you don’t know how good you got it, we could be up in Afghanistan farming opium at gunpoint and we couldn’t even get out of the rain.

I don’t know how to end this rant, despite my best efforts. But I’m sick of the idea that only people with attractively dramatic problems are worthy of respect and sympathy. I really am.

{{{{{{Scholar Beardpig}}}}}

Wonderful rant! “pathos, it sells”. I imagine it has something to do with people feeling great about themselves when they can accept a “trauma resume” and respond to it by showing the gooey gooey love. Do you think it is respect that motivates us to embrace the tragic and turn into exploding “love bombs”? I doubt it.
Our being able to express our kind and caring nature is probably somewhere in the mix, but it is with sympathy and pity we reach out, and be honest-- is their anyone who really enjoys being the recipient of sympathy and pity?
Maybe it is our problem- when we react to “trauma resumes” (I just love that term) without first asking ourselves why we are being doused with the tragedy. Can we be feeding into the pathos and getting strength from the weakness of the tragic?

First world problems?

::d&r::

Seriously though, it’s good to rant. It doesn’t matter how privileged one is, if you live in anguish it sucks, and I’m sorry you do.

What’s a trigger warning?

Like a spoiler warning but for big awful crap that might freak others the fuck out, especially if they’ve experienced similar awful crap. Like giving a warning for descriptions of child abuse, rape, etc.

To some extent I think the concept may have merit but usually the people who should use it, won’t. Like I’ve seen some posters (even here) arguing in a discussion of the death penalty suddenly drop a detailed, horrifying description of some serial rapist/kidnapper/torturer’s crimes into the middle of the discussion. It’s apparently meant to make you hate rapists enough to say “go, death penalty!” because maybe rapists weren’t all that bad or something, but it makes me think the poster is being an asshole.

Of course, you get the other end where anything even vaguely Bad sends someone crying for virtual hugs and “OMG trigger!!” screams.

Got it - like triggering a flashback etc.

Yeah, exactly. I can see how a “support group” environment online might get a lot of “trigger”-related issues/drama related to it, and even people who might not have a particular trigger might get all indignant about who might not be giving “trigger warnings,” etc.

We once elected the mayor of a town I lived in, primarily based on her disclosure of a past tragic situation.
When we heard her describe the pain of- it over and over in detail, we all just wanted to press her to our collective bosom. It may be more often used in politics then I am aware of.
She sucked as a mayor, however, and people later brought up how she had gotten elected by working our emotions. We became one big loving support group for her, and she got our votes.

That’s my thinking. Every time you pick something to warn on, you’re tacitly acknowledging that other things aren’t worth putting warnings on. In this particular scene, sexual violence was put on a massive pedestal as the be-all-end-all of human tragedy, but military violence would be passed on without comment, and they would regularly discuss third-world squalor without mentioning it as special (unless it tied in with sexual violence.)

Not that I have a problem with any of those things, but I just found it a bit heartbreaking that every time some supercilious fop would put up them bolded letters, it was tacitly saying, ‘these are real problems and other people’s problems aren’t.’

[quote=“Scholar_Beardpig, post:1, topic:611170”]

(also, I put this here because I don’t really want to get jumped on so much?)

But I digress. What this amounted to, for the most part, was a support group. As a man with no small amount of rancid brain-garbage, I was looking for that. I wanted a place where I could anonymously go monkey-fuck and people would say, ‘there there, SBP, it must have been very hard for you. You’re a real trooper.’ That sort of nonsense.

Do you think that online support group sites are more or less helpful to people who want or need to be told what troopers they are and how much we understand and want to hug them?
Do you think online support group sites should be separate from sites dealing with other types of issues and concerns?