The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 02-14-2012, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

Car problem: wipers are out of sync

It's my own stupid fault. It was drizzling when I was driving home from work last night and I had my wipers on. I forgot to turn them off when I parked the car in the driveway, and the drizzle froze overnight. So this morning I was scraping the windows and noticed that the wipers were frozen to the windshield. I knocked the passenger side wiper loose and it started going through it's wiper motions, so I reached in and turned the wipers off then proceeded to knock the driver side wiper loose.

After the car had defrosted a bit I hit the wipers to clear the windshield, but now the wipers are all messed up. What happens is that the passenger side wiper gets about halfway up the windshield before the driver side wiper starts coming up, then it gets stuck under the passenger side wiper and isn't able to sweep its full arc.

Is there an easy way to get my wipers back in sync? It's a 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe if that makes any difference.
Advertisements  
Old 02-14-2012, 12:56 PM

stripped gears

Generally this means that you stripped the gears in the tiny transmission that controls the sync. Maybe they are not stripped as much as slipped out of time like a timing belt. Maybe there's away to easily take it apart and re-time it. I'm certainly not advising this, but in a pinch I would consider restraining that passenger side again briefly until the gear returned to the proper position. This would be iffy and difficult to get right. It could even be that the transmission has an override capability to protect it from damage by slipping so my theory would work without further damage.

Bottom line: Wait for more specific accurate information from others first.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:04 PM

I had this happen to me once. When I turned them off, the park positions were different, i.e. one parked part way up the windshield. With the key off, I grabbed this wiper and forced it back down to the park position.

I don't know if this will work for you and may end up breaking the gears all together.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:16 PM
Robot Mod in Beta Testing

In most cars (or at least the ones I am familiar with, but then I'm not a mechanic) there is a single motor which turns a shaft connected to an arrangement of bars which move the wiper arms. I don't remember there being a timing gear in there anywhere. It could be that one of the bars is bent or one of the linkages is broken. On most cars those are relatively easy to replace.

It's a good thing that the wipers do at least still move. That means you didn't burn out the motor, which I had happen when Mrs. Geek accidentally froze her wipers to the windshield. Replacing the motor on many cars can be a royal pain in the backside. I can tell you from experience that on a Dodge Caravan it's pretty obvious that they put the motor into the vehicle before they install the dash. There's a procedure to get the motor out without removing the dash, but it's not a whole lot of fun.

You can at least get to the mechanical linkages without too much difficulty in any car that I've had to deal with.

IANAPM (I am not a professional mechanic) but if my google skills are working, the diagram I found online indicates that your Hyundai has a pretty typical setup.

This is the diagram I found, by the way:
http://www.jimellishyundaiparts.com/...modelYear=2003
Old 02-14-2012, 01:22 PM

It may be possible to just pop the wiper arm off and line it up and pop it back on. I did that on a Dodge pickup I had once.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:36 PM

Not knowing your experience with this, here's some detail on repositioning the wiper arms.

It's possible one or both wiper arms have spun on the spindle it attaches to. There's a fair chance you can solve the problem by loosening, resetting, and retightening the arms.

Here's a view of the pivot end of a wiper arm. Typically there's a hinged plastic cover that can be raised to expose the nut.

First just try to move the wiper arms through their arc by hand (wipers turned off). Normally you shouldn't be able to rotate the arm on its spindle. If you can rotate one (or both), remove the nut(s) and take the arm(s) off the spindle. If you can't move either one, take them both off.

Note that the wiper arm is spring loaded at its hinge -- lift the arm all the way up so it stands perpendicular to the windshield so you don't have to fight the spring, and if necessary pry it (gently) off of the spindle. (Some arms don't lift up that high and have to be pried against the spring pressure.)

Then turn the ignition on (no need to actually start the engine), turn the wipers on, and turn the wipers off. The wiper mechanism should stop at its park position, which will place the arms down along the bottom of the windshield. Now turn the ignition off. If you left one arm on and it doesn't rest in that position, remove it.

Now, with the mechanism and spindles at their park position, reinstall the arm(s) you removed so that both arms are lying at their normal "off" position at the base of the windshield. Lay the arm(s) down flat and press onto the spindle(s) against the spring, then install the nuts. Tighten both nuts snugly (even on an arm that wasn't taken off). Operate the wipers and see how they do. Some liquid on the windshield will help them move easily across the glass. If they work but aren't in just the right park position, readjust (loosen the nut, reset the arm, tighten the nut).

Here's hoping that's all you need. If this doesn't do it, then some other part of the mechanism will need repair.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:03 PM

what was I thinking

Yea, a later post offers the easiest repair. Just remove that entire arm and reposition it.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:12 PM
ReMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Bundy View Post
Yea, a later post offers the easiest repair. Just remove that entire arm and reposition it.
Concur. I had to do this numerous times with a Volvo wagon. Kept an allen wrench in the glove compartment for the job.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballkid View Post
It may be possible to just pop the wiper arm off and line it up and pop it back on. I did that on a Dodge pickup I had once.
+1
Old 02-14-2012, 05:28 PM
Charter Member

Fixed! Thanks all. The driver's side wiper arm just needed to be tightened down. It looks like it is working OK now.