The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 02-22-2012, 01:54 AM
DramQueen

How to completely dismantle a Fisher Price Rainforest Jumperoo (need answer fast!)

I've sold a rainforest jumperoo on ebay, advertising it as "yes, I will post, in original box, with all original instructions, blah blah". Which is all true.

Only problem is, I hadn't fully dismantled it before selling, and now I realise, I have no idea how to get the toys out of the centrepience without damaging them, and judging by half an hours googling various parenting sites, neither does anyone else. It doesn't fit in the box with these toys still attached.

I've removed the poles and base okay, I've found how to remove the seat and cover, but does anyone know how to remove the sun/rainbow toy, spinning lizard rattle, and musical bit?

And yes, the buyer has paid and is wondering why I haven't posted it yet, so I really do need answer fast!

Last edited by Colibri; 02-22-2012 at 01:02 PM.. Reason: link removed at request of OP
Advertisements  
Old 02-22-2012, 03:46 AM

I had one a while back and took it to a charity shop pretty much complete <sorry!>. From memory though the toys snap in with plastic lugs or tabs with small "wedges" on to keep them in place.

You should be able to push the lugs together to free the toys if you can get to the underside, otherwise a bit of prying with a very narrow flat-bladed screwdriver from above should push the wedges in enough to pull off.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:52 AM
DramQueen

Thank you! I'll give that a go (plus brute force, which is the only suggestion a mornings-worth of googling has now come up with), and just be prepared to refund my poor patient buyer if things go wrong
Old 02-22-2012, 03:59 AM

Could you put that bit in a bigger box? Just put the frame in the original?
Old 02-22-2012, 07:24 AM
DramQueen

I probably could have, but I'm already worried I've undercharged on postage, so didn't want to turn it into two boxes worth

Thankfully, I managed it without any visible damage - once everything else was removed, I had access to the underside of the plastic ring, and used 4 flat bladed table knifes to pry and hold the wedges out, then pushed/slid the toys free before the wedges could click back into place.

This worked well for the spinning lizard, the musical centre actually came out just by hand when I held the tabs down tightly enough, but the base of the sun/rainbow was a bit trickier and needed two knifes for each tab - one to push the wedge out of place, then a second to slide in and keep it free.

I still have no idea how to remove the rainbow from the blue base it was on, but can't remember if it came as two bits, and it fitted in the box as one big piece anyway.

Of course, fitting all back in the original box was a whole other challenge!