Did noses evolve for smelling or for breathing?

Background: I’ve taken the intro-level university paleontology classes, but they don’t cover the burning questions like “what were noses originally for?”

So, currently mammals can breath through their noses or through their mouths, which is a little redundant, and a lot of lower animals get by fine without noses at all. That’s what got me wondering: can we tell from the fossil record/current biology whether noses were initially developed as air passages (e.g. breathing while eating, breathing with most of an animal submerged, making sounds) or as passages to get air flowing by olfactory nerves?

Nostrils were originally purely for smelling. Fish have two nostrils on either side of the nose that open into a blind sac, unconnected to the mouth, that contains odor receptors. Water enters through one nostril and then leaves through the other.

Apparently at some point one pair of nostrils migrated inside the mouth where they became the internal nostrils (choanae) that permit air to be taken into the lungs. A recent fossil appears to confirm an intermediate stage in this migration.

Colibri, who knew you knew so much about nostrils?

He nose his stuff.

That’s nothing to sneeze at.

He makes a lot of scents.

These puns stink.

Okay, from now on, puns are strictly No-Nos.

If you ever figure out how to avoid 'em, sinus up!

C’mon, I’ve always been a nose-it-all.:slight_smile:

What’s to figure out? It’s as plain as the…oh, never mind

Great question and love the puns, just one clarification: not all species of mammals can breathe through their mouths. Horses are one example.

I did know that. So, Mr. Nose-it-all (;)) How does that happen? If there was something after-the-fish split off that developed internal nostrils, how come not all mammals have internal nostrils? Did some proto-horse have them and then lose them, so modern horses don’t have them?

It seems like since so many mammals can breathe through their noses, for at least most of their lifespan, that it would have had to be a long time ago that it developed. What selective pressure caused it to be lost in horses, do we know?

(I know this is a thoroughly garbled post with flagrant mis-uses of evolutionary terms, but I hope you get the gist of what I’m asking.)

Breathing, as I understand it, involves moving air into and out of the lungs—i.e., inhaling and exhaling. When it comes to mouth breathing, horses clearly have no trouble with the latter, as anyone who has heard them vocalize can attest. So what’s preventing them from inhaling?

I just realized post 13 is moronic and I’m a drooling idiot. So sorry. Please ignore me today. I’d blame it on the cold medicine, only I’m not taking any. :smack:

Noses evolved for making more babies, same as everything else. :stuck_out_tongue:

Interesting. When I saw the question, I immediate thought, “it had to be breathing, otherwise why would air be drawn in.” Ignorance fought!

Horses have internal nostrils like other mammals. However, they have an unusually tight seal between the epiglottis and soft palate that blocks off the pharynx (entrance to lungs) when they are not swallowing. Horses, rabbits, and rodents are regarded as obligate nasal breathers. Whales, for obvious reasons, have developed a separation between the respiratory and digestive systems in order to permit them to breathe and swallow at the same time.

Y’all may think your pun is funny, but it’s not.

So what’s up with those two lines that come down from the nose?