The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 02-27-2012, 06:00 PM

LED light bulb on dimmer switch

I own exactly one LED bulb right now, a Philips AmbientLED that is marked as dimmable.

It seems to work fine in my ceiling fan light socket with my dimmer switch. Does that mean its OK, or could I be reducing its life?

The dimmer switch is relatively new but I'm having trouble determining its part #. I don't think its on the list of manufacturers that Philips says are compatible, but I'm not positive. Quite a few Lutron dimmers seem to be.
Advertisements  
Old 02-27-2012, 06:27 PM

If you read the package it say's it's designed for "leading edge" dimmers. So to be sure you need to find out if your dimmer is "leading edge" using a triac, or "trailing edge" using mosfets. Most dimmers are leading edge since it's cheaper and more efficient and suitable for the vast majority of loads; trailing edge is usually reserved for capactive loads like low voltage lighting with electronic transformers. I'm guessing Philips had to design it for one or the other for some reason, and chose leading edge since it's far more common.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:40 PM

Ha! I completely interpreted "leading edge" on the box to mean "cutting edge" or something similar. Didn't realize it might be referring to the dimmer pulse.

Can't figure out if my dimmer is leading edge or not. Pretty sure its Lutron model MA-LFQHW-WH. Or at least mine looks just like the picture.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdcastleman View Post
If you read the package it say's it's designed for "leading edge" dimmers. So to be sure you need to find out if your dimmer is "leading edge" using a triac, or "trailing edge" using mosfets. Most dimmers are leading edge since it's cheaper and more efficient and suitable for the vast majority of loads; trailing edge is usually reserved for capactive loads like low voltage lighting with electronic transformers. I'm guessing Philips had to design it for one or the other for some reason, and chose leading edge since it's far more common.
Good info to have. Thanks.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:36 AM

Lutron has 24 hour customer service - I used it once to wire a multi way dinner using a setup their manual hadn't listed as a possibility. Their guy patiently asked me the colors on each of the switches - and then I could hear him sketching it out on pen and paper. Told me what to do and fixed it.

Give them a call if you get stuck - they aren't like most companies with overseas customer service - they are based out of PA.