Why does my leg hurt when it rains?

That’s it. That’s my question. It’s been raining since last night here in Baltimore. My leg just started hurting about 2 hours ago. It’s a dull ache that’s more annoying than anything. When it rains for long periods of time, the same leg will start aching.

I don’t work outside. I do have window office, though. But why does my leg hurt if I’m inside? Would it hurt if I worked outside, too?

You should, of course, see a doctor. But you haven’t said what part of your leg hurts. Why don’t you go outside for a while and see if your leg still hurts. My guess is that it would.

Damp weather can make people with rheumatoid arthritis ache more. Is it the whole leg or just a part? IANAD, but there are plenty of good doctors on the Board that may give you some insight if you give them enough facts.

Why does damp weather aggrevate arthritic conditions?

On thing have heard is that it is related to pressure. Rain is usually accompanied by a low pressure system. It is the low pressure (or the change in pressure), not the rain per se, that aggravates the joint.

Try checking around with
http://www.google.com
and something like: arthritis weather ache
or arthritis rain pain or ache

I just did this for a relative, found a good packet from the Arthritis foundation and more from a Canadian medical site or two.

While research couldn’t find out exactly what the atmospheric pressure did or even where, the changes (lowering pressure usually associated with rain) do cause a good percentage of people with arthritis aches or pains in joints.

Good info.

Jois

The association is by no means proven. This paper, for example, would say there is no association*. PNAS is a highly reputable journal, but more importantly, I am friends with the author.

[sub]*The full text is available without charge or registration at the site[/sub]

Maybe it rains when your leg hurts.

Hi Karl,

Interesting!

Seems that identifying the aches and pains with something was a way of putting a bracket around it - “I get this pain just before it rains and know I’ll feel better soon.” - that kind of thing, an assurance that the aches and pains weren’t going to be this bad all the time.

Jois

Cecil Adams on Does a change in the weather make people’s joints ache?