The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 03-21-2001, 11:44 AM

That's it. That's my question. It's been raining since last night here in Baltimore. My leg just started hurting about 2 hours ago. It's a dull ache that's more annoying than anything. When it rains for long periods of time, the same leg will start aching.

I don't work outside. I do have window office, though. But why does my leg hurt if I'm inside? Would it hurt if I worked outside, too?
The preceding post is the opinion of but one black gal and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of other blacks. All information in the preceding post is provided "as is", with no guarantee of accuracy, completeness or timeliness. Void where prohibited. Offer not valid in Northeast Lublin, Poland. Terms and conditions subject to change without prior notification.
Advertisements  
Old 03-21-2001, 01:59 PM

You should, of course, see a doctor. But you haven't said what part of your leg hurts. Why don't you go outside for a while and see if your leg still hurts. My guess is that it would.

Damp weather can make people with rheumatoid arthritis ache more. Is it the whole leg or just a part? IANAD, but there are plenty of good doctors on the Board that may give you some insight if you give them enough facts.
Old 03-21-2001, 02:15 PM

Why does damp weather aggrevate arthritic conditions?
The preceding post is the opinion of but one black gal and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of other blacks. All information in the preceding post is provided "as is", with no guarantee of accuracy, completeness or timeliness. Void where prohibited. Offer not valid in Northeast Lublin, Poland. Terms and conditions subject to change without prior notification.
Old 03-21-2001, 04:15 PM

On thing have heard is that it is related to pressure. Rain is usually accompanied by a low pressure system. It is the low pressure (or the change in pressure), not the rain per se, that aggravates the joint.
Old 03-21-2001, 07:55 PM

Try checking around with
http://www.google.com
and something like: arthritis weather ache
or arthritis rain pain or ache

I just did this for a relative, found a good packet from the Arthritis foundation and more from a Canadian medical site or two.

While research couldn't find out exactly what the atmospheric pressure did or even where, the changes (lowering pressure usually associated with rain) do cause a good percentage of people with arthritis aches or pains in joints.

Good info.

Jois
Old 03-21-2001, 08:27 PM
Out of the slimy mud of words
Charter Member

The association is by no means proven. This paper, for example, would say there is no association*. PNAS is a highly reputable journal, but more importantly, I am friends with the author.

*The full text is available without charge or registration at the site
Old 03-21-2001, 08:43 PM

theory

Maybe it rains when your leg hurts.
Old 03-21-2001, 09:44 PM

Hi Karl,

Interesting!

Seems that identifying the aches and pains with something was a way of putting a bracket around it - "I get this pain just before it rains and know I'll feel better soon." - that kind of thing, an assurance that the aches and pains weren't going to be this bad all the time.

Jois
Old 03-22-2001, 02:43 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Cecil Adams on Does a change in the weather make people's joints ache?