The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > The Game Room

Old 03-16-2012, 05:05 PM
21st Century Troubadour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
IQ:

Are you an actor who graduated from Carnegie Mellon University and has had some TV successes?
I really had no idea there were so many actors with a 'U' for an initial (and there are still a couple that haven't come up...) No idea; take a DQ. (By my count, yours will be the last DQ - ChockFull still has one more to ask, and I'm about to answer glee's for #18.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glee View Post
DQ: Were you Catholic?
Yes, but the relationship did not end well, and I can't tell, without doing research, how the Catholic church would currently describe this person. May I say 'Catholic, with an asterisk'?

Summary - U

1. Real person.
2. Dead.
3. Male.
4. Born before 1900.
5. Not a soldier.
6. Not a politician.
7. Not known for any artistic achievements.
8. Last name does not begin with a 'U'.
9. Not American.
10. European.
11. Not British.
12. Not a scientist, researcher, or inventor of any sort.
13. Not German.
14. Born before 1800.
15. French.
16. Not known for the practice of medicine.
17. Known as a religious figure.
18. Catholic*.
Advertisements  
Old 03-16-2012, 10:37 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
Are you an actor who graduated from Carnegie Mellon University and has had some TV successes?
Blair Underwood, from LA Law, The Event, etc. etc. etc.

I'd better think more about my last DQ. I'm really drawing a total blank about this guy.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:49 AM
Charter Member

I'm stumped. If you're not sure of his status, he's probably not a saint, which would have been my next question.
Let's try..
DQ: Were you alive prior to or when Martin Luther kicked off the Reformation (1517)? (As opposed to after 1517, in order to make the question binary, as I believe DQs have to be yes/no questions.)
To rephrase, Were you alive either before or during 1517?
Old 03-18-2012, 01:22 PM
SDSAB

Good one. I'll wait to see the answer to that.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:01 PM
21st Century Troubadour

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChockFullOfHeadyGoodness View Post
DQ: Were you alive prior to or when Martin Luther kicked off the Reformation (1517)? (As opposed to after 1517, in order to make the question binary, as I believe DQs have to be yes/no questions.)
To rephrase, Were you alive either before or during 1517?
No, I was not alive either before 1517 nor in the year 1517 itself. Somewhere between 1517 AD and 1800 AD is your range of possible dates.

Perhaps it will help if I briefly outline how you would have heard of this person.

He is the title character of a (not very well known) 19th century play by a famous novelist.

He is the central character of a 20th century book by a different famous novelist, there is another play adapted from this book, there was a film adapted from the play, (directed by a famous director and starring a famous actor in the role of 'U') and there was an opera written based on the book/play. All of the works in this paragraph are 20th century works, and they all have the same title.

All of the above-mentioned works are closely based on the historical records of events in 'U's life.

Elendil's Heir, yours is the last DQ.

Summary - U

1. Real person.
2. Dead.
3. Male.
4. Born before 1900.
5. Not a soldier.
6. Not a politician.
9. Not American.
10. European.
11. Not British.
13. Not German.
14. Born before 1800.
15. French.
18. Catholic*.
19. Not alive before nor in the year 1517.

Last edited by Le Ministre de l'au-delà; 03-18-2012 at 03:04 PM..
Old 03-18-2012, 05:01 PM
SDSAB

I still don't know who the hell the guy is. Any suggestions for the last DQ, before we all get our "Are you [firstname lastname]?"

Maybe, "Are you best known by your actual name, or by your royal, noble or ecclesiastical title?"
Old 03-19-2012, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Ministre de l'au-delà View Post
Perhaps it will help if I briefly outline how you would have heard of this person.

He is the title character of a (not very well known) 19th century play by a famous novelist.

He is the central character of a 20th century book by a different famous novelist, there is another play adapted from this book, there was a film adapted from the play, (directed by a famous director and starring a famous actor in the role of 'U') and there was an opera written based on the book/play. All of the works in this paragraph are 20th century works, and they all have the same title.
Maybe it's me, but if you need to give such details as well as our 20 DQs, I think you should have chosen a better known person.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:37 AM
21st Century Troubadour

I suppose, but Botticelli is a strange game that way; I can't tell in advance what my opponents do or do not know. With a resume like U's, I'm a little surprised if you haven't heard of him at all.

And it's not as much fun when the name is too easy.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:00 PM

Of course we all have different backgrounds and interests.
Nevertheless, I honestly have no idea (and I believe the fun comes from going 'Oh ... that's who you mean!"

I've given up (and so have my History and French school colleagues. Plus Google gave me nothing either...)
Old 03-19-2012, 01:51 PM
SDSAB

Of course, glee, you know that you're not supposed to do any research...?

All right, I'll take the plunge with our final DQ:

Are you best known by your actual name, or by your royal, noble or ecclesiastical title?
Old 03-19-2012, 02:28 PM
21st Century Troubadour

Quote:
All right, I'll take the plunge with our final DQ:

Are you best known by your actual name, or by your royal, noble or ecclesiastical title?
I am best known by my actual name.

Summary - U

1. Real person.
2. Dead.
3. Male.
4. Born before 1900.
5. Not a soldier.
6. Not a politician.
9. Not American.
10. European.
11. Not British.
13. Not German.
14. Born before 1800.
15. French.
18. Catholic*.
19. Not alive before nor in the year 1517.
20. Best know by my actual name rather than by any title(s).

So, I will now entertain guesses in the form of 'Are you (First Name) (Last Name)?' from glee, Elendil's Heir and ChockFullOfHeadyGoodness, all of whom stumped me in this round.

If you are truly stumped and do not wish to even guess, could you please say so in a post? I will reveal the answer when I've heard guess or pass from those three Dopers.

At which point, if it is truly someone whom none of you have ever heard of, I will find some way of randomly selecting the next chooser. I will also take whatever forfeit I have coming.

Last edited by Le Ministre de l'au-delà; 03-19-2012 at 02:29 PM..
Old 03-19-2012, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Of course, glee, you know that you're not supposed to do any research...?
Sorry if I didn't make it clear.
First I gave up. (I won't be guessing any answer.)

Then I asked my colleagues in the French, History and English departments.
Then I tried Googling.

I got nothing.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:46 AM
Charter Member

I'm coming up empty, even with the bonus hints. Feel free to count me as truly stumped.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:37 AM
SDSAB

OK, I'm out, too. Don't have the foggiest notion. Well and truly stumped.

Who are you thinking of, Ministre?
Old 03-20-2012, 11:00 AM
21st Century Troubadour

All right. I am Urbain Grandier, 1590 - 1634,
Quote:
a French Catholic priest who was burned at the stake after being convicted of witchcraft, following the events of the so-called "Loudun Possessions."
The not very well known play written by the famous novelist was "Urbain Grandier", by Alexandre Dumas (Père). Dumas also mentioned the case in his "Crimes Célèbres", having possibly come across it while researching Cardinal Richelieu in the course of writing "The Three Musketeers".

The book written by the famous novelist was "The Devils of Loudun", by Aldous Huxley.

The play adapted from this book was "The Devils" (my apologies, it would seem the play and the film both bear the abbreviated title.), by John Whiting.

The film is "The Devils", directed by Ken Russell and starring Oliver Reed in the role of Urbain Grandier. The film was hugely controversial because of the scenes involving sexuality, violence and sacrilege, earning it 'X' ratings in the UK and the US, even after two of the most shocking scenes were cut. The film is also noteworthy for its soundtrack, composed by Sir Peter Maxwell Davies and performed by the 'Fires of London'.

The opera is "Die Teufel von Loudun" by Krzysztof Penderecki.

"Urbain" is the French form of "Urban", which is why I said you were close when Pope Urban and Saint Urban came up. I thought Elendil's Heir had me for certain when he asked about famous writer/sequel by another famous writer - that was close enough to Dumas/Huxley to have me sweating.

So, now, my friends - I submit myself to your judgement. I had decided on 'U' as a letter because we hadn't used it. (There are still a few unused 'U's out there that surprise me; perhaps they were discarded as being too obvious.) After mentally scanning through all the 'U's I could think of, I chose Urbain Grandier.

Based on all the above, it was in good faith that I felt I had chosen someone challenging but fair. Between the Huxley novel, which I read somewhere in the mid 1970s, the Ken Russell film which I saw several times in the 1980s and the Penderecki opera (Okay, being an opera singer and a Penderecki fan, that one is likely just me.), I didn't feel that he was unjustifiably obscure. His case also comes up in the context of historical witchcraft trials, having happened about ~50 years ahead of the Salem witchcraft trials. The fact that there is a contract signed by the Devil and several demons used in 'evidence' makes him come up in legal circles from time to time, I am told.

All that being said, if he is someone you have truly never heard of and feel you had no reason ever to have heard of him, I will find some way to randomly select one of you as the next chooser, and I humbly apologize. You are right - the game is much more fun when the answer revealed makes you say 'Gah! I should have thought of that!'.

Last edited by Le Ministre de l'au-delà; 03-20-2012 at 11:03 AM..
Old 03-20-2012, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

I've actually seen the film, and knew it was based on a play; however, I didn't remember any character names. Given that, I vote this was a fair game.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:28 PM

Thank goodness - I've never heard of him!
No, seriously, I was worried that I would be shown to be culturally ignorant.

I have heard of:

- Aldous Huxley (but I haven't read any of his books)
- the film 'the Devils' (but I've never seen it)
- Ken Russell (he directed 'Tommy' )
- Oliver Reed (he was in 'The Three Musketeers' and 'Gladiator')

I giggle at your reply to "Was he a Catholic?" of "Yes, but the relationship did not end well."
The poor guy was burnt at the stake!

I think you made an honest mistake* and it was definitely interesting to have an uncommon letter.

I'm happy for Elendil's Heir or ChockFullOfHeadyGoodness to start the next game.

*Botticelli can end abruptly if the answer is too easy - but at least then the players win and we get another game.
If it's too obscure, the players are not even sure what direct questions to ask...

Last edited by glee; 03-20-2012 at 12:31 PM..
Old 03-20-2012, 03:54 PM
SDSAB

Nope, never, ever heard of the guy. Never would've guessed him in a million years. I think I've started a game more recently than ChockFull, so he's welcome to start the next game if he wishes.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:40 PM
21st Century Troubadour

Quote:
Originally Posted by glee View Post
I giggle at your reply to "Was he a Catholic?" of "Yes, but the relationship did not end well."
The poor guy was burnt at the stake!
Seeing this round is over, I looked him up in the Catholic Encyclopedia - he's listed as an 'Imposter', e.g. someone who was a false prophet or curate who misled his flock.

Quote:
Nope, never, ever heard of the guy. Never would've guessed him in a million years. I think I've started a game more recently than ChockFull, so he's welcome to start the next game if he wishes.
May I make a suggestion? Perhaps it would be better for ChockFull to start a new thread. I had been thinking it might be a useful innovation to have each round of Botticelli in a fresh thread with the Chooser and the initial in the thread title; after this particular round, it might be better if people could tell right away that it's a new game. Only a suggestion. I'm off to get fitted for the 'cone of shame'.

I'm still surprised that Leon Uris, Keith Urban and Uma Thurman didn't come up in IQs, though.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:30 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Ministre de l'au-delà View Post
...May I make a suggestion? Perhaps it would be better for ChockFull to start a new thread. I had been thinking it might be a useful innovation to have each round of Botticelli in a fresh thread with the Chooser and the initial in the thread title; after this particular round, it might be better if people could tell right away that it's a new game. Only a suggestion....
Makes sense to me. Maybe name it "Botticelli, March 2012 edition, Vol. II"? I've looked at the old threads and, since May of last year, the only letters we haven't done yet are Q, X, Y and Z. H, in May 2011, is our oldest-done letter otherwise.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:37 PM
Charter Member

OK. I'll start a new thread.
To satisfy my curiosity I looked up which Pope Urban tried to move back from Avignon to Rome. It was Urban V, not VI. Not that the extra DQ would have made any difference.

I looked at the unused letters. For X, I came up with Xena: Warrior Princess, Xerxes of Persia, Xander from Buffy, and Xaviera Hollander. That's it. I thought Z would be similarly limited, but to my surprise I came up with over 25. So be on the lookout for the new thread with 'Z'
Old 03-21-2012, 09:27 PM
SDSAB

And here it is: http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=645899