Southern most Aurora?

Usually auroras don’t get as far south as the US (other than Alaska), but there is a big solar flare headed our way so I got my hopes up.

But the forecast is still well within Canada and the “level” is still only 4 out of 9.

So I’m curious, what’s the furthest south it’s ever reached in recorded history, and what level was it as?

For that matter, how are the levels measured?

Does it reach further north in the southern hemisphere due to the bigger ozone hole there?

Antarctica. It was fairly bright. :wink:

The Aurora is caused by solar winds striking the upper thermosphere. The ozone layer is in the lower stratosphere. They are a long way apart. Needless to say, one does not affect the other.

a science dweeb on the radio just said this will make the Aurora Borealis visible down to latitude 46 - Oregon, Idaho, Minnesota, & Maine (remember, usually only viewable at the North Pole & North Canada).

I’ve seen the aurora in Middle Tennessee. It was only two green patches of light, but still, it was there.

It’s recorded that the northern lights were visible over the Fredericksburg battlefield in Virginia during the Civil War.

Wasn’t there one last year as visible south as Texas?

Yes there was.

i don’t have any data.

i seem to recall one that was visible in Louisiana.

The Carrington Event of 1859 is considered the largest recorded solar event with auroras recorded in the Caribbean.

I read once, probably the Guinness Book of Records, that the Aurora Borealis has been seen in Singapore, 1 deg N latitude.

If(/When) a storm the size of the 1859 one happens again, we won’t have to worry about light pollution ruining the view of the aurorae. :slight_smile:

I’ve seen the aurora several times in Chicago, but others have already noted sightings which are considerably further south.

About 10 years ago, I saw a faint red glow in the night sky south of Albuquerque. I thought it was a fire somewhere. I read in the paper the next day that it was the Aurora.

I saw a very impressive display in northern Indiana about 20 years ago.

I believe that the Aztecs saw the Aurora in 1519 in Tenochtitlan (Mexico City), and counted it as a bad omen.

I saw it in middle Tennessee a few years ago, but it was a big red glow in the northern sky. It looked like maybe there was a huge forest fire just over the horizon. It was cool and kind of freaky.

At least you didn’t say Mayan …

:smiley:

I’m jealous. Did you have to be pretty far outside the city? I’d imagine the city lights would make them difficult to see, but I have no idea how bright these auroras are.

I’ve seen them numerous times north of Syracuse and in the Catskills.

Full monti auroras, too

That would have actually been the aurora australis. Singapore is north of the rotational equator, but what matters for the aurorae is the magnetic field, not the rotation. And since the magnetic pole is up in Canada (and at a point opposite on the Earth), Singapore is actually closer to the pole in the south.

It’s also actually very rare to see the aurora right at the magnetic poles: It’s a ring around the pole.

And I’ve seen the Lights about 8 times since I’ve been in Montana (at 45:40 degrees).

To clarify for the smart asses, replace “southernmost” with “closest to the equator”.

Smart asses?
The SDMB does not have an smart asses.