The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > The BBQ Pit

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-08-2012, 10:10 AM
Budget Player Cadet Budget Player Cadet is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2011
Kony 2012 Conspiracy Theories

I personally have no opinion on Kony 2012, nor much knowledge of it. However, there's one thing about it, above all, which seems incredibly fishy to me. Consider this thread a test of the hypothesis, if you will... I'll release my results within a few days; if anyone is curious about what I'm after, PM me.

Last edited by Budget Player Cadet; 03-08-2012 at 10:11 AM..
Advertisements  
  #2  
Old 03-08-2012, 10:14 AM
andros andros is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
I agree. Or possilby I don't.
  #3  
Old 03-08-2012, 10:23 AM
Zebra Zebra is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
I think it's about some people who want to uses social media to make people want to change something, something is bad, even though that bad something does not have a direct effect on the majority of the planet.


There's no oil or other resources at stake so it's kind of tough.
  #4  
Old 03-08-2012, 10:38 AM
Happy Lendervedder Happy Lendervedder is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post
I personally have no opinion on Kony 2012, nor much knowledge of it. However, there's one thing about it, above all, which seems incredibly fishy to me. Consider this thread a test of the hypothesis, if you will... I'll release my results within a few days; if anyone is curious about what I'm after, PM me.
The answer you seek can be found at the 3:47 mark. I've said enough.
  #5  
Old 03-08-2012, 11:02 AM
Astroboy14 Astroboy14 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Winslow, ME
Posts: 6,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
The answer you seek can be found at the 3:47 mark. I've said enough.
You've said too much. The Men In Black will be at your door shortly...
  #6  
Old 03-08-2012, 11:04 AM
Czarcasm Czarcasm is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Beervania
Posts: 37,050
1. Weak opening for a thread in any forum.
2. Been there-Done that.
  #7  
Old 03-08-2012, 11:09 AM
Rhythmdvl Rhythmdvl is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Shakedown Street
Posts: 12,160
I hate it when posters who've been around long enough to know they're posting a shitty, linkless OP do so anyway.

Seriously, WTF?
  #8  
Old 03-08-2012, 12:38 PM
Budget Player Cadet Budget Player Cadet is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
1. Weak opening for a thread in any forum.
2. Been there-Done that.
This isn't about it being a scam. As said, I'm testing a tangentially related hypothesis. Although so far, I'm pulling blanks. Mentioning what that hypothesis is in public kinda defeats the purpose, though. Rest assured, it's not directed towards long-time users.
  #9  
Old 03-08-2012, 12:40 PM
Shayna Shayna is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
A 30-minute video uniting the world to stop a war criminal in Uganda #StopKony

Has its share of (idiotic) detractors (there's a fool born every minute). Invisible Children Respond To #StopKony Viral Video Criticisms.
  #10  
Old 03-08-2012, 12:40 PM
Czarcasm Czarcasm is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Beervania
Posts: 37,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post
This isn't about it being a scam. As said, I'm testing a tangentially related hypothesis. Although so far, I'm pulling blanks. Mentioning what that hypothesis is in public kinda defeats the purpose, though. Rest assured, it's not directed towards long-time users.
Try this on for size, then: While Dopers enjoy playing games, we are rather adverse to being played.

edited to add: To make this Pitworthy(something you have so far failed to do), what the fuck are you on about?

Last edited by Czarcasm; 03-08-2012 at 12:42 PM..
  #11  
Old 03-08-2012, 12:49 PM
Ludovic Ludovic is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: America's Wing
Posts: 23,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post
This isn't about it being a scam.
Rather, it is a scam. BTDT.
  #12  
Old 03-08-2012, 01:24 PM
kidchameleon kidchameleon is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Cecil's basement
Posts: 4,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post
As said, I'm testing a tangentially related hypothesis.
Test it somewhere else, asshole.
  #13  
Old 03-08-2012, 01:48 PM
woodstockbirdybird woodstockbirdybird is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Yeah, tell us your theory or STFU. As it is, you're coming off like a dick and boring everybody, to boot.
  #14  
Old 03-08-2012, 01:56 PM
Vinyl Turnip Vinyl Turnip is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: <--- <--- <---
Posts: 14,131
I vote this should go (if anywhere) in ATMB with all the other test threads, along with newbies experimenting with vBulletin code, people performing a CAPS LOCK button self-test, or whatever the fuck else people start those threads for.
  #15  
Old 03-08-2012, 01:56 PM
The Great Sun Jester The Great Sun Jester is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Agreed. I for one, refuse to post to this thread until the OP explains himself. Perhaps in another thread?
  #16  
Old 03-08-2012, 03:25 PM
blindboyard blindboyard is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
I think it's about some people who want to uses social media to make people want to change something, something is bad, even though that bad something does not have a direct effect on the majority of the planet.


There's no oil or other resources at stake so it's kind of tough.
In the interests of fighting ignorance, there's actually quite a lot of oil, not only in newly discovered fields in Uganda, but also in Eastern DRC and South Sudan, where Kony is still active, and where this charity is wanting to put boots on the ground. In fact there have been several scandals over it, over Gaddafi, when he was alive, trying to get in on the DRC oil action, about a firm of mercenaries turned oil barons called Heritage Oil defrauding the Ugandan government and evading taxes, and a rather large scandal involving corruption in the government of Uganda regarding oil revenues and the granting of concessions, the Ugandan government this charity is so fond of and which has a nasty history of rigging elections, invading neighbouring nations and hunting humans for sport.
  #17  
Old 03-08-2012, 03:56 PM
bup bup is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by blindboyard View Post
In the interests of fighting ignorance, there's actually quite a lot of oil, not only in newly discovered fields in Uganda, but also in Eastern DRC and South Sudan, where Kony is still active, and where this charity is wanting to put boots on the ground. In fact there have been several scandals over it, over Gaddafi, when he was alive, trying to get in on the DRC oil action, about a firm of mercenaries turned oil barons called Heritage Oil defrauding the Ugandan government and evading taxes, and a rather large scandal involving corruption in the government of Uganda regarding oil revenues and the granting of concessions, the Ugandan government this charity is so fond of and which has a nasty history of rigging elections, invading neighbouring nations and hunting humans for sport.
So your guess is that BudgetPlayerCadet's secret conspiracy is that THEY are manufacturing rage to beat the drums of war so THEY can invade and claim the oil and pretend moral motives. THEY are either the CIA, the NWO, the Illuminati, or the secret fraternity of presidents and ex-presidents who are the only ones privileged enough to know what the US is really up against. Is that correct?
  #18  
Old 03-08-2012, 04:21 PM
Crotalus Crotalus is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Chillicothe, Ohio
Posts: 4,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
The answer you seek can be found at the 3:47 mark. I've said enough.
Can you elaborate, please? I watched a little past that point.
  #19  
Old 03-08-2012, 04:48 PM
Miller Miller is online now
Sith Mod
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Bear Flag Republic
Posts: 35,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post
I personally have no opinion on Kony 2012, nor much knowledge of it. However, there's one thing about it, above all, which seems incredibly fishy to me. Consider this thread a test of the hypothesis, if you will... I'll release my results within a few days; if anyone is curious about what I'm after, PM me.
[Moderating]
Find somewhere else to run your sociology experiments.

Thread closed.
[/Moderating]
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright 2013 Sun-Times Media, LLC.