The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Elections

Old 03-15-2012, 04:54 PM
BANNED

Because of the high unemployment rate and the rise in the national debt it is difficult to be enthusiastic about President Obama.

Because policies advocated by Republican presidential candidates would almost certainly raise both the unemployment rate and the national debt it is difficult not to be afraid of Obama's rivals.
Advertisements  
Old 03-15-2012, 08:00 PM

Here's Fox news on gas prices in 2008.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:04 PM
Charter Member

In case anybody is wondering what tullsterx is going on about, Fox News was apparently covering Obama's allegedly sinking poll numbers pretty heavily a couple of days ago. John Stewart could only laugh.

Back in reality, Romney is polling ahead of Obama at the moment, though there have been a lot of fluctuations and Obama has been leading for most of this year: http://polltracker.talkingpointsmemo...s-president-12
Among those actually laying money on the outcome, Obama is given a 60% chance of victory. I personally think that's a touch high.

The funny thing though is that modern conservatives don't want to hear any of this. When they turn on the news, they don't want to be informed, they want to be reassured. So that's what Fox News delivers to the muppets. More substantively, Fox News recently reported that the Obama's health care reform has gone up in cost. In fact that's not the case: Fox News was comparing a 2012-2021 report to a 2012-2022 report. Yes, they are that lame: they are comparing an eleven year window to a 10 year window. Make the apples to apples comparison and the CBO actually reports declining costs. The funny thing is that you can point stuff like this out to modern conservatives and they don't get disillusioned with Fox News. They keep watching it because it serves their odd but expansive emotional needs. Those needs outweigh their inclination to be informed.

Nobody with serious business or policy interests should watch Fox News, except for marketing purposes.

Last edited by Measure for Measure; 03-15-2012 at 08:08 PM..
Old 03-15-2012, 09:53 PM

Minor pedantic point, but he goes by "Jon Stewart".
Old 03-17-2012, 02:22 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Measure for Measure View Post

Nobody with serious business or policy interests should watch Fox News, except for marketing purposes.
If it matters to know the difference between what is true and false it is important to know. Otherwise, one can afford to believe what one wants to believe.
Old 03-17-2012, 02:30 PM
BANNED

On important social and economic issues like contraception, abortion, raising taxes on the rich, and not cutting middle class entitlements most Americans agree with President Obama, rather than his Republican rivals.

Obama may lose the election because of persistent high unemployment, but policies advocated by Republicans have never reduced unemployment in the past.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr4 View Post
On the other hand, to a casual observer, there isn't much difference between a "flip-flopper" and a "moderate". So it may be pretty easy for him to convince a large percentage of independents that he's a moderate.
I agree.

His problem with the Right is that they don't trust him. They're worried that he'll govern more moderately than he campaigns.

If the independents think the same thing they may decide he's a safe choice. They already have an example in Obama who governs more moderately than his campaign.

In the end it's who they trust more.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batfish View Post
In the end it's who they trust more.
Romney's problem is that nobody trusts him or mistrusts him. Low expectations.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:30 AM

I'm picturing a new sitcom: Everyone Mistrusts Romney
Old 03-19-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tullsterx View Post
I apologize for my opening trollishness. I was just inspired by all of the pro-democrat trollish threads with Republican in the title.

And I assumed everyone here knows about the CBS poll that was just announced that give Obama his lowest approval rating of any major poll so far, 41%. And this 41% was listed in the link provided by the first response posted.

Personally, I think this lowest poll is due to high gas prices and lots of global tension. And its one of these things that the President gets credit for or blame for regardless of what he does in a lot of ways.
Sure. Any current drop in those poll numbers is a direct response to the price at the pump. We should all know the reasons and none have anything to do with Obama. Drilling more on public land (I believe it is at a high on private land) wonít change a thing short term. The Prez and the PM of Brittan discussed tapping reserves so heís not sitting on his hands. I do know thereís a lot of saber rattling at Iran right now and that isnít going to bring the price down.