The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS)

Old 03-15-2012, 01:45 AM

The Red Cross is like a crazy ex...

Stop calling me!!!

I used to give blood pretty regularly, but my blood pressure kept getting higher and higher until I finally couldn't give anymore until I started medication.

So now I'm on medication and started giving again, though not as often (mainly due to living in a new area, as well as laziness).

My last time trying to give (late last year) I was turned away because they were too busy. No biggy, I'll come back later.

Well, now I'm overseas for work (since January) and I have been getting bombarded with phone calls from the Red Cross.

The problem is that I have my personal cell phone here with the AT&T World Connect (or something) plan, meaning I can get calls, but it's going to cost me $2 a minute So I keep the phone on for emergencies, and will pick up if I see it's family or other people I may need to hear from.

But otherwise, if it rings, I just dismiss the call. If the call results in a voicemail, I just check it on my office phone.

Well, one number keeps calling: the Red Cross. Over and over. I see the number, hit dismiss, then they redial me

After weeks of this I finally picked up last night. I politely told the woman that I'm overseas and please stop calling me. She kept trying to drag the conversation out. Gah! Finally I told here to take me off the list completely and do not call again and I hung up.

Within 30 seconds the Red Cross called back

I hit dismiss.

They called again!

What the hell!?

If they call again, what do I do? Don't they understand that calling like that is going to cause the opposite reaction and make me not want to deal with at all?
Advertisements  
Old 03-15-2012, 02:41 AM

"This phone is for emergency use only. Please add this number to your do not call list. Thank you." <click>
I'm assuming you don't have a way to block calls on your phone itself. AT&T probably has a monthly service option that would be phone independent.

"I said Good Day sir!" It's hard to slam a cell phone with the same aplomb afforded by the old bakelite handsets.

Last edited by Marconi N. Cheese; 03-15-2012 at 02:44 AM..
Old 03-15-2012, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconi N. Cheese View Post
"I said Good Day sir!" It's hard to slam a cell phone with the same aplomb afforded by the old bakelite handsets.
Totally off topic, but I wonder if you could make an app that at least approximated what that sounded like.

Quick check: I'm not the first to think of this, but I haven't seen it implemented.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:29 AM

Yup, they suck. Especially since they block caller ID too. I always get a call exactly 8 weeks to the day after donating. I've told them many, many times that the only time I'll donate is when they hold a blood drive at my place of work (today in fact!), and they poster that thoroughly, so stop calling. They always apologize and assure me it won't happen again, and it always does.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:33 PM

The Red Cross is like a crazy ex...
A crazy ex that wants your blood!
That is kinda creepy.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
Yup, they suck. Especially since they block caller ID too. I always get a call exactly 8 weeks to the day after donating. I've told them many, many times that the only time I'll donate is when they hold a blood drive at my place of work (today in fact!), and they poster that thoroughly, so stop calling. They always apologize and assure me it won't happen again, and it always does.
It must depend on the person you have on the phone, because I told them to stop calling, and they did.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:53 PM
Charter Member

Get a false positive for Hep C. They'll stop asking.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:16 AM
Crankin' it up a notch. BAM!

Quote:
My husband donates blood regularly, and we colloquially refer to the Red Cross as his ''stalkers.'' He doesn't mind getting the calls though because they remind him to schedule an appointment. After you schedule an appointment, they'll leave you alone.

I donated blood for the first time a couple of weeks ago and I'm wondering if I'll be subject to a barrage of phone calls too.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivesmarch4th View Post
He doesn't mind getting the calls though because they remind him to schedule an appointment. After you schedule an appointment, they'll leave you alone.
Maybe the OP can answer next time and schedule an appointment for March 2062, and then he'll have 50 years before they start bothering him again.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:08 PM

Is this the American Red Cross? If so, you can call the DCSC (Donor Client Support Center) at 1-866-236-3276 and tell them to remove your number. They prefer to have one in case there is a problem with your donation, but it's not required. If you get a positive test result or something, they'll send you a letter anyway.

I work for the American Red Cross, and I took my number away for a while when they were calling me too much.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:16 PM

The Red Cross killed my friend. They suck. Do not give them money or blood. Your money will be spent on incompetent executives and real estate investments. Your blood will usually be thrown away because it isn't needed. Their blood drives are an attempt (mostly successful) to monopolize the blood supply.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
Your blood will usually be thrown away because it isn't needed.
I don't know how we manage to have contracts with so many hospitals if we throw most of the blood away.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:14 PM

How about now, sparky!? Can you donate now?
Old 03-16-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvorange View Post
I don't know how we manage to have contracts with so many hospitals if we throw most of the blood away.
How does one follow the other? The Red Cross controls the blood market through it's endless campaigns to donate blood for no specific reason. Where else do you expect hospitals to go?
Old 03-16-2012, 02:27 PM
Charter Member

"I'm experimenting with men now" and you'll be off the list.

/Still a shame that they aren't allowed to take male gay blood due to federal regulations.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
How does one follow the other? The Red Cross controls the blood market through it's endless campaigns to donate blood for no specific reason. Where else do you expect hospitals to go?
They must be pretty bad at controlling the market since the very hospital I work for has its own blood/platelets drives in addition to the ones they let the RC host.

And yeah, I would expect blood would be wasted. It's a perishable product. I want it to be there in stock and in abundance for emergency surgeries and accident victims, but that means there will be spoilage when those things don't happen.

Donation on the spot can't always happen. The two times I tried to donate same-day for a newborn surgery need at the hospital I work at, I failed because of low hematocrit ratings. I took myself off the infant donation list rather than risk future failures and wasted time and money.

It's true. The private blood market was working just great until the Red Cross ruined everything for everybody.

Quote:
If we were throwing it away, we wouldn't be able to meet the demand. I'm not both collecting and donating blood for nothing.

You would think that it didn't cost anything to collect all that blood.

Last edited by Silvorange; 03-16-2012 at 02:32 PM..
Old 03-16-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Blood has a shelf life. If it's going to (almost) always be there when needed, then some percentage of it is going to thrown away.

I guess by 'donating for no specific reason' you're contrasting to the (as far as I know) occasion disaster blood drives? That's not the primary driver of the need for blood.

The Kansas City area has its own non-Red Cross organization - they call me I'm due to give, but don't usually call back (too much) when I don't make it in, unless they are short of B- blood.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:43 PM

They're always after my O- blood. When I became pregnant, they asked for my due date. I anticipate a phone call the day after my delivery.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
Get a false positive for Hep C. They'll stop asking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpauler View Post
"I'm experimenting with men now" and you'll be off the list.
But I don't want to stop donating - I just want them to stop calling me. TriPolar's bizarre trilateral commisionesque claims aside, I think donating blood is important, and I'd like to continue doing it. Even my blood type is a plebeian A positive.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:24 PM
Elephant Whisperer

The Red Cross can be pretty intense. One time in my past, I helped out in a very minor -- and I mean very, very minor -- way in a certain natural disaster that I was on the periphery of, and for a year later I was bombarded with mailings advertising pens and pins and maybe coffee mugs and other stuff I could buy that would be a personal memorial/tribute to my efforts.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bup View Post
It's true. The private blood market was working just great until the Red Cross ruined everything for everybody.
Hear, hear! The Red Cross was formed in 1863. Before that, the main private collector of blood was this guy, who started ~1455. He was way more... efficient.

The worst offenders for me are the robocalls which give no information about who is calling.

Last edited by thelurkinghorror; 03-18-2012 at 07:43 PM..
Old 03-18-2012, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky! View Post
Stop calling me!!!

I used to give blood pretty regularly, but my blood pressure kept getting higher and higher until I finally couldn't give anymore until I started medication...
Maybe you can try donating blood more often to lower your blood pressure (yeah, I know it won't work, even if they let you do it more often).

Seriously, if all of the phone calls are bothering you, and from what you have said, they certainly must be (why the heck do they keep calling?!), I'd do what others have suggested and request that they remove my number.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
But I don't want to stop donating - I just want them to stop calling me. TriPolar's bizarre trilateral commisionesque claims aside, I think donating blood is important, and I'd like to continue doing it. Even my blood type is a plebeian A positive.
I wish I could donate again. I got up to a gallon before the stupid Hep C test.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:54 PM

Just had the call half an hour ago.

We went through my ever changing list of current meds.

Apparently the topical* steroid cream puts me on the do not call list for the next four months - or until I can afford glasses that do not trigger the nickel allergy, whichever comes first.

*On the skin, not up to date on current events.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:36 PM

Canadian Blood Services is very efficient.
They used to just call when they wanted my blood.
Now they call me when they want other people's blood.

Seriously. I'm the "Partners for Life" Champion for my company - I'm the sucker who agreed to be the volunteer coordinator. CBS is worried about the appointment numbers for the next clinic and they called me to see if I could get the word out. I tried. Email to everyone on the list, posters in every kitchen for four floors...hope it helps.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:45 AM

Answer to stop the Red Cross Stalking Me!!!!

After being stalked and harrassed by the Red Cross for 8 months I think I may have found how to get them to stop calling!! I donated blood at a blood drive at my county job thinking I was doing a great service for them but I was wrong! I started to receive calls everyday and sometimes 3-5 times a day! I was able to block them on my personal phone but not my county work phone. I tried talking to the Red Cross supervisors, I told them to take me off the list but nothing worked! I told them over and over I knew where to donate and no I did not have time to make appointments right now..blah blah blah and dont even begin to think the "do not call" registry works because it wont!! Why? because the Red Cross is a charity and exempt from the list. I even resorted to telling them I had HIV and Hep-c with only 3 months to live! I was desperate! Well now I think I have the answer. I called 1-800-733-2767. It will give you the Red Cross Ombudsman in Washington D.C. I left a not-so-nice voicemail explaining my problem and within 1 day I received a call from a man at the ombudsman's office that told me to give him two weeks and he would get my name off the Red Cross call list! Please pass this information around and let the ombudsman know if you are being harrassed also! I hate to put down a good charity but if we dont push this issue not only will this bad behavior continue but it will hurt the Red Cross. I personally will never donate blood again due to this problem..but the more people complain to the ombudsman the sooner the problem can be fixed!!!!
Old 05-29-2013, 07:21 AM

My gf gets a call on her landline (which has its ringer shut off) every day or two. She is on daily medication to hopefully stop recurrence of her cancer. They do not want her blood. I haven't gone a year without a tattoo in decades. They do not want my blood.

She tried calling them to inform them, but the person she spoke with basically admitted it was nearly impossible to stop the calls. Apparently we recieve them from three different locations and they do not coordinate call lists or some such excuse.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:36 AM

I donate through work, which uses the New York Blood Center, which is NOT Red cross affiliated (guess they're trying to break the back of Big Blood) and they too are extremely aggressive about getting their hands on my sweet sweet O+. If you don't answer they will call and call and call. However, they stop calling when asked.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:55 AM

I donated relatively regularly for several years until I made myself ineligible. I've never gotten a call reminding me to go donate.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:21 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

Makes me happy that I have the Mad Cow and can't donate.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:56 AM
Charter Member

And me that there's little demand for vitriol.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:42 PM

Hmm, this strikes me as odd. I have given blood sporatically all my life, to the Red Cross and Life South, ususally at blood drives at my office or church. Neither group has ever called me to ask me to come in, nor has anyone I know received such a call unless they had a rare blood type in particularly high demand. It has been almost a year since I last donated (ineligible due to a trip to Haiti), but no call. Maybe they don't like me...

Seriously, could it be that some Red Cross regions call an others don't?
Old 05-30-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jackson View Post

I'd imagine that it's all based on need. If they are getting enough walk in / unsolicited registrations, then they don't need to call. In the Northeast, with our high population density, they don't. They call regularly to my house.

My beef with them is the search system they use when they call. It doesn't search based on distance. You can ask about specific towns, but not "when is the next closest one to zip code xxxxx or Anytown USA?" The last drive they called me about was over an hour away from my home or work, and only ran from 12-4PM.

Last edited by butler1850; 05-30-2013 at 09:00 AM..
Old 05-30-2013, 10:05 AM

Quote:
The Red Cross killed my friend. They suck. Do not give them money or blood. Your money will be spent on incompetent executives and real estate investments. Your blood will usually be thrown away because it isn't needed. Their blood drives are an attempt (mostly successful) to monopolize the blood supply.
Can you elaborate on this? Or will the Red Cross ninjas visit you in the middle of the night and steal all your blood to silence you?
Old 06-01-2013, 08:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jackson View Post
Hmm, this strikes me as odd. I have given blood sporatically all my life, to the Red Cross and Life South, ususally at blood drives at my office or church. Neither group has ever called me to ask me to come in, nor has anyone I know received such a call unless they had a rare blood type in particularly high demand. It has been almost a year since I last donated (ineligible due to a trip to Haiti), but no call. Maybe they don't like me...

This has been my experience as well. I've always been a walk-in, never made an appointment, and the most I ever get is a mailer every three months listing all the upcoming donation drives. And now that I haven't been able to donate for years due to my anemia I don't even get those. Maybe the Cleveland area is just so good at donating they don't need naggers?
Old 06-01-2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
The Red Cross killed my friend.
Are you confusing them with Manfred von Richthofen and the German Flying Cross? If not, what he said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoieGrasIsEvil View Post
Can you elaborate on this? Or will the Red Cross ninjas visit you in the middle of the night and steal all your blood to silence you?
Old 06-01-2013, 08:29 AM

I'm happy to report that I haven't received any calls since the OP!

Given that, I tried to give last summer by just showing up at the center. The place seemed slow, yet they still turned me away saying I should make an appointment. Yeah, and start the stalking again? I don't think so!
Old 06-01-2013, 06:59 PM

Last time my mom donated blood, she had some sort of episode (right at the donation place) and had to go to the doctor and eventually had some sort of treatment for low iron or something (I forget exactly), but anyway she's wound up okay, but the doc told her not to donate blood anymore. Yet every few months, here comes the Red fucking Cross begging her to donate again. I think it was a good 5 years before they finally got the message to quit harassing her.