Old 03-15-2012, 02:52 PM

Blago Questions

What is the length of his sentence and how many years will he actually do? What about his family, wife and a couple kids, right? Will they/can they stay in their home? What about income? Does she have any? Were they left with any assets? Feel sorry for the kids. W/regard to his wife, is she a bit on the caustic side?
Old 03-15-2012, 05:34 PM

The sentence is 14 years; he has to serve at least 12 of those.

Yes, he's married to Patti, and they have two daughters.

I don't think she's worked much since he left office (other than that reality TV show appearance). She had been working at some fund-raising job, but was fired in the aftermath of Rod's impeachment. ISTR that she's worked as a real estate agent at some point.

Her father, Richard Mell, is a powerful Chicago alderman, and had been Rod's political godfather, but Mell and Rod had a falling-out shortly after Rod became governor, and I don't know how Patti's relationship is with her father these days.

I've read that their house in Chicago is going to go on the market; I don't think it's been publicly stated where Patti and the girls are going to move. It does sound like the legal defenses ate up most, if not all, of their net worth. Bear in mind that a good chunk of Rod's first trial centered around the extravagant spending habits which Rod and Patti had, and how he was seeking to line up jobs which would be more lucrative than being governor, for both himself and Patti.

"Caustic" is probably a mild term for Patti. In some of the wiretapped recordings which were presented at Rod's trials, she came across pretty badly.

Last edited by kenobi 65; 03-15-2012 at 05:37 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:48 PM

Too bad for the kids. Isn't their home on Ravenswood just west of Clark?
Old 03-15-2012, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoTim View Post
No, it's on Sunnyside, almost two miles west of Clark.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:17 PM

I kind of assumed that Dick Mell would probably take care of them, but who knows.

And is it just me, or is Patti kind of hot? In that "dirty nasty bitch that you don't take home to momma" kind of way.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:48 AM

Yeah, Mell will probably take care of his daughter regardless of how he feels about his son-in-law. And he was loaded before he became an alderman. Owned a factory I believe.
As for Patti, I think she is an attractive woman. Nothing slutty about her.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. Mortiss View Post
I kind of assumed that Dick Mell would probably take care of them, but who knows.
At a minimum I would think he will see to it his granddaughters are taken care of. I mean...they are his granddaughters, y'know?
Old 03-16-2012, 07:20 AM

Quote:
And is it just me, or is Patti kind of hot? In that "dirty nasty bitch that you don't take home to momma" kind of way.
Different strokes, I guess. To me she's the type that you think, hmmm, she's kind of nice-looking, and then she starts to talk and suddenly you can't get far enough away.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

Does anyone else think that 12-14 years is kind of harsh? I understand the seriousness of political corruption, and think that he deserves to go to jail for a meaningful period of time, but 14 years seems like a long time for a non-violent offense. It's not like he brought down Enron or or plundered a retirement plan or scammed people out of millions of dollars.

I'm not trying to defend him, I was just surprised to hear how long his sentence was.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:55 AM

My suspicion is that, at least in part, the length of the sentence was intended to send a message about political corruption in Illinois (where we have a particularly virulent and pervasive strain of it). He is, after all, the second straight governor to go to jail on corruption charges (not to mention all of the congressmen, aldermen, and other officials who have gone to prison in the past few decades).

I also suspect that Blagojevich's behavior before and during his trials (constant TV appearances, rambling in court, etc.) did not exactly endear him to the judge, or convince the judge that there was any real remorse (other than remorse in being caught).

Last edited by kenobi 65; 03-16-2012 at 09:56 AM.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skammer View Post
Does anyone else think that 12-14 years is kind of harsh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
My suspicion is that, at least in part, the length of the sentence was intended to send a message about political corruption in Illinois (where we have a particularly virulent and pervasive strain of it).

(snip)

I also suspect that Blagojevich's behavior before and during his trials (constant TV appearances, rambling in court, etc.) did not exactly endear him to the judge, or convince the judge that there was any real remorse (other than remorse in being caught).
kenobi 65 gives a good explanation.

I would also add -watching this idiot parade in front of the cameras this week showed me he still doesn't get it. I suspect he is in for a rude awakening now that he is locked up. I was listening to WBEZ on Wednesday afternoon where they were interviewing some former Illinois public officials who have served time. They all made the point that Blago needs to show a great deal of humility and mind his own business once he is locked up or he can expect a serious "attitude adjustment" from the guards and his fellow inmates. His behavior in front of the cameras later that day indicated he is still just as full of himself as ever.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolak of Twilo View Post
His behavior in front of the cameras later that day indicated he is still just as full of himself as ever.
Indeed...I'm not sure I can think of another political figure (with the possible exception of Sarah Palin) who combines such a massive ego with such weak actual credentials. Either he's just a BS artist, or he truly still believes that the people of Illinois saw him as their beloved, and unjustly prosecuted, savior.

Last edited by kenobi 65; 03-16-2012 at 02:10 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Does anyone else think that 12-14 years is kind of harsh? I understand the seriousness of political corruption, and think that he deserves to go to jail for a meaningful period of time, but 14 years seems like a long time for a non-violent offense. It's not like he brought down Enron or or plundered a retirement plan or scammed people out of millions of dollars.

I'm not trying to defend him, I was just surprised to hear how long his sentence was.
Honestly, I'm a little surprised that his sentence is so short. He tried to sell a U.S. Senate seat! There are few things that a governor could do that are more blatantly corrupt, or with greater impact on society at large, than to overtly sell major political offices. That's the kind of shit that happens in third world dictatorships, not here, and I'd like to see harsh penalties imposed on officials who do that kind of thing.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoTim View Post
I think you're thinking of Emmanuel?
Quote:

Maybe this is overly cynical, but I think there's a sense that this is just what they were able to prove, but the weasel was undoubtedly guilty of other jerkish illegal behavior that the prosecution was unable to prove. Probably even stuff more heinous than he was charged with that they don't even know about. The long sentence is sort of "just desserts" - punishment for what we imagine he probably got away with, as well as what he was convicted for. It's like an Oscar awarded to a director for a mediocre movie after a superb career - we all kinda get that this award isn't really just for this film, but rather in recognition of his career as a whole.

Is that the way it's supposed to work? No, not really. But it's a mindset formed from years of living in a pretty corrupt state.

You can probably tell I'm not a fan. I'm sick of the helicopters, I'm sick of the reporters, I'm sick of the traffic back ups. But I do feel horrible for his girls. Amy just found out this week that her high school is closing, too. What a heck of a year for her.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:32 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for all the responses. It sounds like the 'extenuating circumstances' of the case - including Blago's continuing defiance and lack of remorse - contriubted to the longer sentence. I can't really argue with that. I do feel sorry for his family though.
Old 03-17-2012, 01:59 AM

Quote:
I do feel sorry for his family though.
His kids?
Yeah. I actually feel really bad for them.

His wife?
Not so much.
Frankly, I think she should be happy she wasn't charged as a co-conspirator.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:26 AM

It wasn't just the Senate seat, though. They tried him on 20 charges in the retrial (the Senate seat accounted for 11 of them), and he was found guilty on 17. The charges also included:
- Attempt to shake down Children's Memorial Hospital for a fundraiser (plus a wire fraud charge with this): He called them and told them that they would be receiving $8-10 million extra from the state, and then only a few days later wanted them to host a fundraiser for him.
- Attempt to shake down a racetrack owner for a contribution (plus wire fraud and conspiracy to extort): Discussed calling the guy to tell him that a contribution/fundraiser would help Blago sign a bill on his desk that benefited the racetrack industry.
- Attempt to shake down a school in now-Mayor Emanuel's district: Held up a grant for the school in an attempt to get Emanuel's brother to hold a fundraiser for Blago.
- 2nd attempt to shake down Children's Memorial: Held up a grant in an attempt to get the CEO to send contributions.
- Extortion/wire fraud around the Illinois Tollway Plan (highway building/expansion): Tried to force at least one road builder into coughing up campaign contributions, through various means.

If it was just the Senate seat, I could see thinking that 12 years was awfully long. But add to it at least two attempts to extort Children's Memorial Hospital, a school, road builders, racetrack owners, and the comments about wanting to screw over the Tribune Corporation and their attempts to get help with Wrigley Field because they won't fire an editorial staff member over his anti-Blago comments? You start wondering how deep the corruption ran. Did he ever sign anything that didn't personally benefit him? Fuck him.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:53 PM

Was Blago successful at any of these corrupt shenanigans?
It seems he was trying his hardest to be a corrupt politician, but he just wasn't very competent at it.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertizontal View Post
Was Blago successful at any of these corrupt shenanigans?
It seems he was trying his hardest to be a corrupt politician, but he just wasn't very competent at it.
Not terribly, no. And this was actually part of his defense: that he talked a lot, but he never actually pulled a lot of this off. The prosecutors (and, ultimately, the jury) disagreed, noting that the crimes were in the attempts, not just the successful execution of them.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:14 AM

I'll bet Obama pardons him on his way out of office. Either later this year (please, please, please) or at the latest in 2016 (Allah help us). No evidence, but I just have a hunch that a deal has been struck. It would explain Blago's bizarre, cock-sure demeanor.

Last edited by Tim R. Mortiss; 03-24-2012 at 03:15 AM.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:13 AM
BANNED

Quote:
I'll bet Obama pardons him on his way out of office. Either later this year (please, please, please) or at the latest in 2016 (Allah help us). No evidence, but I just have a hunch that a deal has been struck. It would explain Blago's bizarre, cock-sure demeanor.
And if Obama doesn't pardon him, when can we expect your contrite apology for profoundly misjudging Obama's character and, for that matter, his entire political career? (A consistent "Democratic" vote for the rest of your of your life should be sufficient evidence of your sincerity and contriteness in offering this apology, btw.)

Last edited by pseudotriton ruber ruber; 03-24-2012 at 11:14 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-24-2012, 11:24 AM

Sorry, dude; wrong forum. I'm not making a political argument here; if it came off that way, I apologize. I'm just trying to hypothesize about Blago's apparently bizarre behavior, which I believe is pretty much on topic.

Last edited by Tim R. Mortiss; 03-24-2012 at 11:24 AM.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote:
No evidence, but I just have a hunch that a deal has been struck. It would explain Blago's bizarre, cock-sure demeanor.
What possible deal could have been struck? Blago has never had anything Obama wanted.

Considering "humble" has never been used to describe Blago, it's not like his behavior has changed any. I guess it's somewhat suprising in that you'd think a reasonable person would have learned something from all this and Blago doesn't appear to, but it seems a pretty wild leap to somehow connect that to a presidential pardon. Cock-sure demeanor seems almost like a requisite for someone who tried to sell a Senate seat and extort campaign donations from a children's hospital.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
I've heard a rumbling of this, too...I know a guy who's an Illinois State Trooper, and served for a time on Blago's detail (back before Blago lost his job). Said trooper is quite convinced that a pardon is a done deal.

I have to say, I'd be stunned if it were true -- I can't see what Obama would have to gain (personally and politically) by pardoning a guy whom most of the state can't tolerate, and who has, AFAICT, absolutely zero political capital left.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:32 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post

I have to say, I'd be stunned if it were true -- I can't see what Obama would have to gain (personally and politically) by pardoning a guy whom most of the state can't tolerate, and who has, AFAICT, absolutely zero political capital left.
Nor do I.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyNot View Post

You can probably tell I'm not a fan. I'm sick of the helicopters, I'm sick of the reporters, I'm sick of the traffic back ups. But I do feel horrible for his girls. Amy just found out this week that her high school is closing, too. What a heck of a year for her.
We must be neighbors. Yeah, the helicopters sent me over the top.

I do feel bad for the girls.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Sorry, dude; wrong forum. I'm not making a political argument here; if it came off that way, I apologize. I'm just trying to hypothesize about Blago's apparently bizarre behavior, which I believe is pretty much on topic.

Drugs. Okay, that's my guess.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:06 PM

I'm going to sound mean, but I don't feel that bad for the girls.

They've had a charmed existence until now, and they still have their mom and their well-connected grandpa, who I'm sure will prevent them from having to sleep under a viaduct.

Sure, all this is upsetting to them, but there are loads of worse off kids.

And their school is closing down? Pardon me, but at their age, I would've been cheering to have that happen. I realize some kids like their schools more than others, but it's not like they won't get an opportunity to go to school somewhere else.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:11 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Many Cats View Post
I'm going to sound mean, but I don't feel that bad for the girls.

...Pardon me, but at their age, I would've been cheering to have that happen.
Word.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:17 PM

The suffering of other people does not negate the suffering of another person. These kids are losing their dad, their home and their schools all at once (Scholastica is closing, but word is the other daughter's private tuition is possibly out of reach now). They've been waking up to cameras on their front lawn and helicopters in the sky above their home. That's an incredible score in Life Change Units, and I just hope they're being exceedingly well looked after, for their health. No, I wouldn't wish it on anyone, even if there are starving children in Europe.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:57 PM

Last Friday I was waiting for a Montrose bus when the President's helicopters flew over the neighborhood. A kid who was also waiting looked up at his mother and asked where Blago was going this time.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyNot View Post
The suffering of other people does not negate the suffering of another person. No, I wouldn't wish it on anyone, even if there are starving children in Europe.
I don't wish this on them either, but while other people's suffering doesn't negate the suffering of these girls, it does influence how much empathy I personally feel toward them. Perhaps I'm just sick of hearing about how horrible it is what they're going through. You can't talk about what a shitheel Blago is without someone bringing them up.

Last edited by Two Many Cats; 03-26-2012 at 08:51 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:20 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

For what it's worth, a filler article in the Denver Post a few days ago mentioned that Blago will not be allowed to use hair dye in prison.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Are you speaking rhetorically, or do you actually want to bet? I'll take that one in a heartbeat.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank View Post
For what it's worth, a filler article in the Denver Post a few days ago mentioned that Blago will not be allowed to use hair dye in prison.
I would pay good money to see his prison hair cut. But not a lot of money, as I am a cheap bastard.

Last edited by Tim R. Mortiss; 03-27-2012 at 01:55 AM.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleciders View Post
Are you speaking rhetorically, or do you actually want to bet? I'll take that one in a heartbeat.
Strictly rhetorical. I'm not going to risk my actual cash, being an inveterate cheap bastard. It's just a hunch.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Strictly rhetorical. I'm not going to risk my actual cash, being an inveterate cheap bastard. It's just a hunch.
You sure? I'll give you two-to-one odds.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:06 PM

WBBM reported this morning the house has been taken off the market. Patty thinks moving on top of everything else would be too much for the girls.