"Attempted manslaughter" - does such a crime exist?

I was reading the Wikipedia article on mob boss John Gotti and came across a statement there that he once received a four year sentence for “attempted manslaughter”. In fact, a cite is given for that assertion (and refers to a book on the Gambino crime family by one John H. Davis).

To me, such a charge doesn’t make a lot of sense and seems almost oxymoronic (insofar as the word 'attempted" is at odds with the notion that in manslaughter there is no intent to kill and no ‘malice aforethought’). Wiki seems to agree with me and states, “attempted manslaughter is not an offence known to law”.

Is the Gotti article simply wrong? Or, in fact, is “attempted manslaughter” an actual crime?

Thanks!

I would bet it does exist; when I was a teenager I was caught with a little bit of marijuana and was arrested on marijuana possession charges, albeit misdemeanor charges. As part of a “plea deal” worked out by my attorney and the prosecutor, I pled guilty to a lesser charge of ‘attempted possession of marijuana’.

Now how exacty does one attempt to possess weed? You either do or you don’t. It seems that some charges exist, absent any logic, just to satisfy plea bargaining sentencing.

At least in Ohio, “attempt” can be applied to almost any crime charged as part of a plea deal. It reduces it one step–so say you’re charged with breaking and entering, which in Ohio is a fifth-degree felony. You plea to attempted B&E, which is a first-degree misdemeanor. It creates a lot of interesting legal fictions like the above-mentioned attempted possession and attempted manslaughter.

In New York Penal Law, “Attempt” is a separate article that can be applied to any crime:

As ridiculous as attempted manslaughter sounds, it’s not quite as ridiculous as you make out – first-degree manslaughter is the result of “intent to cause serious physical injury to another person.” While definitely a creampuff (and nonsensical given the facts), the charge was the result of a plea bargain – Gotti confessed to holding the victim while another man shot him, and got a light sentence – arranged by Roy Cohn, aka “the Antichrist” (in some circles, anyway).

Very generally, no, the wikipedia article is correct; I don’t know what the statutory circumstances were of the Gotti attempted manslaughter conviction, but the law school answer is that attempted manslaughter doesn’t exist under common law, although it may in a certain jurisdiction if a specific statute creates it, which is probably what happened in that case. No such statute exists in my state, and there is no such thing here as “attempted manslaughter” because manslaughter is not a crime people intend to commit - murder is.

If you commit manslaughter under common law, you commit either (1) voluntary manslaughter in which you specifically intended to commit murder but the murder was mitigated by adequate provocation, the classic example being the “heat of passion” of finding your spouse banging your best friend, or (2) involuntary manslaughter, in which you didn’t specifically intend to kill anyone but someone died due to your general intent to act with criminal negligence. If you commit voluntary manslaughter you have the specific intent to commit murder, but due to the provocation the homicide is mitigated to the lesser crime of manslaughter. You can’t attempt to commit manslaughter since intending to intentionally kill someone is attempting to murder them, and you only get the mitigating break if you actually kill the guy and can subsequently show why you were provoked. The other sort of manslaughter is involuntary manslaughter, which is a general intent crime: you have the intent to engage in the activity resulting in the death but didn’t intend for the death to occur, so basically the death was an extremely negligent accident on your part. Since you didn’t have the specific intent to cause the other party’s death you can’t be said to have attempted it, so there’s no “attempted manslaughter” for almost-but-not-quite negligently killing someone.

A little googling shows some states have indeed adopted statutory attempted voluntary manslaughter: 603. Attempted Voluntary Manslaughter: Heat of Passion - Lesser Included Offense

IANAL, but I think you’re wrong here – not in what you say, but in the (sloppy) choice of terms to describe it.

If I’m not mistaken, a necessary element in the crime of murder is malice aforethought – not only is it the killing of another person, but it is a killing in cold blood. A crime of killing someone in the heat of passion – and I’m curious what other mitigating circumstances which are not affirmative defenses may exist – is manslaughter. Both are homicides, but they are two distinct crimes.

There is a great deal of discussion on this board and others where the difference between committing a crime and performing a putatively criminal act is not looked at, This is the reason for the “culpable adverbs” in penal-law definitions of crimes: “A person is guilty of ____ when he criminally, intentionally6,and feloniously________.” As I’ve had occasion to point out in this regard, the difference between the actions of a knife murderer and of a heart surgeon is fairky small; the real difference lies in their vastly different intent in perfor4ming quite similar acts. A judge, or a jury speaking collectively, could quite properly quote the famous basebll umpire Bill Klem, who,aasked by a catcher if a recent pitch was a ball or a strike, responded, “It ain’t nothin’ until I call it!” Yeah, there’s no doubt that Pete the Perp did the act for which he is charged with a crime – but did he do it with all the elements needed to prove it was that crime? You might slam your car into mine in front of eyewitnesses because (a) you intended to do so, to get back at me for an insult; or (b) because you were driving recklessly, at too great a speed for the conditions; or (c) because, driving slowly and safety, you had the misfortune to hit a hidden patch of ice and lost control. Same act, but three degrees of culpability.

Firstly recheck your cite. It speaks that attempted manslaughter is not a crime known to law, and gives an English cite, which is not surprising as the article is about manslaughter in ENglish law and Gotti was convicted in a state which has not been part of England since about 1783.

Secondly as stated above, statutory enactments can criminalise anything. I presume it was a statutory offence.

Yes you clearly are not a lawyer. At common law, voluntary manslaughter had to have all the elements of murder present plus the mitigating circumstance which reduced culpability (provocation, diminished responsibility etc). What the quote is talking about is manslaughter which is not voluntary type, involuntary manslaughter, gross negligent manslaughter, constructive manslaughter etc.

In fact, common law crimes do not exist in the US* so all criminal offenses are statutory offenses. In order to satisfy the requirements of the Due Process clause of the US Constitution, a crime must be “specified in advance by statute.”

The New York State Penal Law, under which Gotti was sentenced, may be reviewed here.

*except when you’re studying for the Bar Exam. Then common law crimes totally exist, and you must (pointlessly) memorize them. Even though the application of such knowledge in practice would be obvious malpractice.

Yes, although correct me if I am wrong, but some jurisdictions way back in 1783 simply enacted statutes which said “the law of England as it was in 1776 shall be incorporated into our laws”? Also,although even most crimes even in the commonwealth are statutory, many of them are just codifications of common law crimes.

It can happen, yes. First, we have to look at what the codification of manslaughter is. In Ohio we have Voluntary and Involuntary.

2903.03 Voluntary manslaughter.

(A) No person, while under the influence of sudden passion or in a sudden fit of rage, either of which is brought on by serious provocation occasioned by the victim that is reasonably sufficient to incite the person into using deadly force, shall knowingly cause the death of another or the unlawful termination of another’s pregnancy.
Then we see the stautory defintion of attempt, and probably supported by case law more speficially.

2923.02 Attempt to commit an offense.
(A) No person, purposely or knowingly, and when purpose or knowledge is sufficient culpability for the commission of an offense, shall engage in conduct that, if successful, would constitute or result in the offense.
IF I start out in a fit of rage to kill someone under the provisions of the statute, and stop short of doing it, known maybe as Withdrawal or maybe Renunciation, I am guilty of attempt.

I learned my wife was murdered, in an immediate fit of rage I start out to kill Mr. X at the bar he hangs out at. On my way, and once there ready to enter the bar, I change my mind.
I once looked up other state’s defintion’s of Attempt, and one was, I think PA, if a significant step was taken towards the commission of the offense, an Attempt was “completed”.

Have a citation for that? I do know that they have ruled that if a criminal law is so vague a reasonably prudent person would not know he is violating the law, it is UNconstitutional.

Ohio has specifically, by direct statute, abrogated common law offenses. I know from past research though that Florida still recognizes them. Now if it just a law still on the books and UNconstitutional, one would think the FL Legislature would repeal it just to get it OFF the books?

Common law crimes at the Federal level were ended by United States v. Hudson and Goodwin, 11 U.S. 32 (1812).

I would have thought that common law offenses are universally abolished in the US but in fact they still exist in a minority of states (~13, I think). The supreme court has held that the English common law offenses are “inconsistent” with the US constitution if they can be defined from the bench because at that point they are too vague to be enforced or run afoul of the ex post facto clause. (see, e.g., ASHTON v. KENTUCKY, 384 U.S. 195 (1966) (stating that " conviction based on a common law concept of the most general and undefined nature cannot stand.") So in effect even those minority of states which have not abolished common law crimes are constrained in application. I’m not really sure how it works in practice, perhaps a fine gentle-person of Virginia or Maryland or Idaho would like to share with us.

At any rate, New York is not one of those states. Common law crimes are abolished here. So at no time did common law definitions of crimes affect John Gotti’s trial.

More than interesting . . . thank you all for your replies.

As a FYI side note, in Ohio one can NOT be charged with an Attempt to commit a Minor Misdemeanor though, that I know.

I for one have never heard, outside of plea bargaining, such a charge as you discuss, but that does not mean it could not happen.

There are 50 states, with 50 different sets of laws, although the Model Penal Code may serve as a guide, it is not Uniform in nature.

Interesting! When the 4th AM was made applicable to states in 1949, they ruled any search or seizure applicable to the federal govt. is now applicable to the states.

Since an arrest is the quintessential seizure, one would think the 1812 case would apply, but evidentially not by case law progeny. Could the ruling have come about due to the war of 1812?

I have been told, though I never really cared enough and/or am too lazy to bother to look it up, that at least in Virginia a few traffic offenses can be classified as attempted manslaughter. Such as, speeding well above what classifies as reckless driving or driving sufficiently intoxicated. I think the reasoning is that if one were to kill someone under those circumstances it would be manslaughter, and any reasonable person would know that excessive speeding or driving drunk carries a high risk of killing someone even though that person isn’t exactly trying to kill anyone, therefore, even though they didn’t kill someone, they still basically attempted to in being so careless. IOW, you really should be charged with manslaughter, you just were lucky enough to have no actually killed anyway.

I think different jurisdictions probably punish those actions similarly, they just may call it something other than attempted manslaughter, like maybe reckless endangerment or whatever.
That said, the whole “attempted” thing doesn’t really make sense to me. When I think of attempted murder, it seems more like you really tried to kill someone and just failed or were too incompetent to pull it off, so why punish the person less? I mean, they do the same thing with stinger operations, right? If someone intends to hire a prostitute or buy drugs or whatever and gets a cop, they’re technically “attempting” to possess drugs, yet the intention is the same and would have been the same if there wasn’t a sting. So I say either punish an attempt the same as the actual crime, assuming you can prove intent to commit the higher crime, or punish it for the crime that was actually committed if you can’t prove intent.

Say I was at a friends house, he had been taking prescription drugs that he had not had himself. Turned on me in blind rage, and bit me twice. Once hard on the arm, almost taking all of the skin off, and once on the face. Keep in mind, that individual did this after asking me to leave his house, and I did, but the moment I hit the bottleneck of the apartment, he had struck me in the face twice. I did not provoke nor incite some sort of rage, and it was completely self-fueled. After kicking his ass, and putting him on the floor, I put him in a VERY loose chokehold as if not to asphyxiate him, but to render him incapable of violence. After the fact, a group of individuals stood around, and didn’t call the cops after I put him in a passive restraint, and he had bit me then, after he tried to escape it. In what case and instant, is this violation of law? I have been told many things, but as it keeps going towards, they’re saying it’s attempted manslaughter. Thoughts?

— Also, he had dug his index and middle fingers up my nose as far as he could possibly get them.

Manslaughter includes killing someone in the heat of the moment.

If you tried to kill someone in the heat of the moment, but the gun malfunctioned, its attempted manslaughter.