Recipes requested : Pureed foods (Gastric Sleeve)

So I had Gastric Surgery and next week I should be allowed “food” again but it must be pureeded food to the constancy of baby food

I don’t want to eat jarred baby food because I’m not a baby. I’m supposed to eat no more than 4 oz at a time.

So if you have any good recipes please post them for me.

Carrot-orange soup. Like a bowl of sunshine.

I make broccoli-potato soup like so:
Take 4 cups of chicken broth. Bring to boiling in a medium size pot
peel and chunk a couple potatoes
Cut 1/2 head of broccoli into pieces
drop potatoes and broccoli into boiling broth. Simmer 20 minutes or until potatoes are soft.
Remove from heat. Let cool a bit. Pour into blender and blend till smooth (or use an immersion blender if you have one).
Return soup to pot
Salt, pepper to taste

At this point you can any or all of the following:
-a little cream or sour cream
-2 handfuls of cheddar cheese
-a handful of finely chopped chives or scallions
Stir till warmed through then eat! Leftover soup can be frozen.

Thank you for both of the suggestions. It is my fault for not adding the criteria that they need to be high in protein. I will try both though because they sound amazing.

Hummus is high protein and is already pureed.

You could try getting a can of meaty soup and pureeing it.

You really don’t need recipes. Your best bet is to make soup your best friend.

There are many ways to increase protein in your diet. Soups can be made with milk. Soy protein isolate powder can be added to many dishes. If soy doesn’t do it for you, look for whey protein. Those big honkin’ jars of whey protein marketed to body builders cost too much. Try a health food store or even Winco’s bulk products. Soft tofu can be blended to a mush. Add pureed canned fruit to the tofu. Refried beans are good. If they are too thick, you can thin them down with broth or enchilada sauce.
~VOW

Be careful with any milk-sourced proteins. Bariatric surgery tends to bring on lactose intolerance. Even protein powders labeled as lactose free, but made with whey protein may cause distress.

By now, I trust you’re also aware of needing to stay low-fat and low-sugar to avoid dumping.

Shakes from Chike and Unjury will be your new best friends for the next couple of weeks. Unjury makes a protein powder that you can add to things like applesauce or pureed veggies.

If you can tolerate it, yougurt and cottage cheese are good. Just watch the sugar content on the yogurts. I think it was Yoplait that just recently brought out a line of yogurt that’s lactose free and sweetened with Splenda.

One thing I did when my husband had his gastric bypass was to make hearty stocks - I took things like a 7-bone pot roast or chicken and simmered it with vegetables for hours to extract protein from the meat, then strained it. The resulting product was like brown jello. Don’t expect to be able to eat the meat, even if it is boiled down to pulp - some people are just unable to tolerate beef for as much as a year post-op.

Low-fat Greek yogurt is super high in protein. Get the plain kind and add the sweetener of your choice, protein powder and fruit. Buzz it in the blender. NUMMY!!

Here’s some shake recipes: 404 Page

To up the protein
-use Greek yogurt in place of the cream or sour cream.
-Add finely diced ham or a jar of pure ham baby food (yeah… I know…baby food).
-if you use commercial broth, you can add a packet of Knox unflavored gelatin powder to it (5g protein, not a lot but it doubles the protein of an average commercial broth). If you make your own stock, simmer the bones a long time to extract the gelatin protein.

Would you object to having Alicia Silverstone spit into your mouth?

Thanks for the suggestions. I have a baby bullet so I can make my own adult food into baby food. I’m rocking Choban Greek Yogurt with a tablespoon of sugar free syrup. I can’t have any fruit yet

Mashed potatoes come to mind. So does guacamole - can you eat avocados?
You could also make a simple butternut squash soup and puree it finely:

Peel and cube a butternut (or any other kind of) squash, sprinkle with salt and olive oil, roast at 350 until edges are brown. Toss into pot with stock or broth, simmer, add onions, garlic, whatever you like, then puree in a blender, or with a stick blender, or with your baby bullet. Some people like adding a pinch of curry powder, or a bit of rosemary. It’s pretty flexible.

And for something like this, to up the protein, I’ve occasionally added either white beans or silken tofu (usually beans), then pureeing. The beans particularly add the protein and fiber, along with a creamy texture without added fat.

IANAD, but in my RnY experience, after two weeks of nothing but protein shakes made with Lactaid, pureed chili was pure heaven.

I doubt the gastric sleeve has the “dumping” effect that RnY patients sometimes experience.

And with the sleeve, there won’t need to be a lengthy recuperation for suture lines in the digestive tract such as RnY patients have.

Just take it slow and easy. It will be frustrating, but it won’t last forever.
~VOW