response to: Prehistoric, It's whats for dinner: Have explorers had feasts of Wooly Mammoth?

“Let’s keep it simple: frozen meat from tundra = specimen; frozen meat from freezer = dinner.”
AMEN to that!!! I can’t agree more!!!

LINK: Prehistoric, It’s what’s for dinner: Have explorers had feasts of Wooly Mammoth?

Welcome to the Straight Dope Message Boards, naugatuckangel, we’re glad to have you with us. For future ref, it’s a little easier for other posters if you provide a link when starting a thread. Saves search time. No biggie, you gave the column title, so I’ve added the link. You’ll know for next time. And, as I say, welcome! … Could you pass the frozen stegosaur-burger? :slight_smile:

Solzhenizyn mentions in ‘Gulag Archipelago’ an old newspaper report about a mammoth that was discovered and eaten by ‘workers’ meaning prisoners of the Gulag system

Many many moons ago, (late 70’s maybe?) at the Smithsonian’s Alternative Proteins Festival, there were some guys selling mammoth meat for $50 a bite. My Dad and I each had one, just to be able to say we’d done it. It tasted like the smell of the musty, frosted-over old freezer in my Grandmother’s basement. Blech.

We also tried grilled grasshoppers, edamame, and chocolate covered ants. None of it was yummy, but you could live on it if you had to.