The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 04-11-2012, 09:07 PM

3D Glasses while wearing corrective lenses

Believe it or not, despite the recent trend of movies being released in 3D, I have never seen a movie in that format at the theater.

I'm thinking of going to see "Titanic" in 3D, and I'm wondering if anyone out there wearing glasses have had problems wearing 3D glasses over their corrective lenses. Or do you have to take off your corrective glasses in order to put the 3D glasses on?

I ask because if I have to take off my glasses, I won't be able to see anything with the 3D glasses on, since I'm quite nearsighted.
Advertisements  
Old 04-11-2012, 09:13 PM

And of course my brain just let me realize that even though this is about 3D glasses at the movie theater, I probably should have put this in the General Questions section. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:18 PM

I've never had an issue wearing the 3d glasses over my regular glasses. I always wear glasses (never owned contacts).
Old 04-11-2012, 09:22 PM

I wear glasses and saw Thor in 3D and was able to wear my glasses under the 3D glasses. It seemd to work out well, but there also seemed to be an attempt to force me to watch whatever part of the screen the real action was taking place in... if I looked off to the side of where the actors were talking, it was all blurry and distorted. This may have been complicated by the fact that I wear progressive scan trifocals.

The action sequences were great, because I was always looking at the action.

Then I went to see the last Harry Potter movie and it was all blurry, all the time. I walked out five minutes in and won't pay to see another 3D movie.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:26 PM

I wear the 3D glasses over my regular specs and sit at least midway back in the theater and I haven't had problems. I have had problems with 1980s death ray style 3D, but I sat up close back then.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:30 PM
WretchAwry
Charter Member

I hate wearing 3D glasses over my regular glasses but got along ok with doing it, when I had to do it. Still, I was ecstatic a few years ago when I found a pair of clip-on 3D glasses that are nearly perfect. The clips are a bit bulky and take getting used to, but not near as bad as the glasses-over-glasses did.

I bought them at a theater and they no longer carry them so I can't point to where you might get some. If they break I'll have to go looking because I love them so much. I used them just last night at Titanic 3D (I love that film, but the 3D, however well-done, was unnecessary).
Old 04-11-2012, 10:12 PM

Many thanks for the responses. Looks like I don't have too much to worry about.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:28 PM

The glasses-over-glasses 3D doesn't work at all for me and the effect in films like Avatar or Despicable Me was disappointing to put it mildly.

But I'm coming to realize I may just be some ocular mutant.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:48 PM

I've never had any problems wearing the 3D glasses over my prescription glasses.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:07 AM

Glasses over glasses works for me, but can give me a headache. So if there is an option I nearly always choose to see the non-3-D version of a film.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:25 AM
Charter Member

Another person chiming in to say the movie 3D glasses fit over my glasses.

A certain percentage of people have problems with even the best 3D system whether they need glasses or not, but whoever makes the viewing glasses seems to have remember that some of us need glasses to see at all and made sure they'll fit over lenses.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:09 AM

Can anyone chime in with 3D glasses at home? I have a Panasonic HDTV that can do 3D, and I'm pretty hesitant to spend an absurd amount of money on 3D glasses, especially if people who wear regular glasses won't be able to watch.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

Prior to purchasing our 3D home system my spouse insisted that I (the one with the wonky vision) be able to test the system in the store prior to discussing purchase. Some do work better than others, but it seems about 2/3 of them we tried were comparable to what you get in the theaters.

The big advantage our system has, from my viewpoint, is that if you're watching 3D you can set glasses to show it only 2D, so someone whose vision doesn't play nice with the 3D system can still enjoy the movie in 2D while others watch in 3D at the same time.

Do understand that "having glasses" isn't the only time 3D might be incompatible with someone's vision. There are people with normal vision who find even the best 3D systems disturbing or even nauseating.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:58 PM
Charter Member

The very first one I saw, several years ago, the glasses didn't fit well over my glasses. All of them since then, however, have fit over my glasses just fine.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

I'm nearsighted and have had no trouble wearing 3D glasses over my cokebottles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munch View Post
Can anyone chime in with 3D glasses at home? I have a Panasonic HDTV that can do 3D, and I'm pretty hesitant to spend an absurd amount of money on 3D glasses, especially if people who wear regular glasses won't be able to watch.
Bear in mind that the 3D glasses for home TVs are different than those for the theater. Theater glasses are simple polarized lenses and the projector projects oppositely-polarized images for the left and right eye. These are very cheap to make which is why the theater can afford to give them away.

The glasses for your TV are LCD shutter glasses, which blink on and off, alternating eyes 60 times per second. These require batteries and a synchronization signal from your TV, and are therefore quite expensive.

I'm happy to report that both types of glasses work great for me (I watched Avatar on my bigass Panasonic in 3D and it was awesome). But some people have problems with one type or both.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan View Post
Glasses over glasses works for me, but can give me a headache. So if there is an option I nearly always choose to see the non-3-D version of a film.
I'm going to second this, though I've tried the 3D both in front of and behind the glasses. Behind seems to work better with my face, but both ways still gave me a headache.

I also try to avoid 3-D movies now.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:07 PM

I find the added weight of the glasses on top of my other glasses tends to make my nose hurt. My nose doesn't like that extra pressure.

But I also find that I kinda have to think about how to get my eyes to focus through the special glasses, too, and that can make my eyes (and maybe my brain) tired, after a while.