What's your favorite sauce?

Sauces are a great way to add flavour to a meal. What’s your favorite sauce?

If it’s a sauce you make, it’d be awful nice to give the recipe.

Bans gordita sauce from Taco Bell.

Bacon gravy, as in biscuits and gravy.

Joe

WTF? This is the thread I was posting to when the house went dark. I can see my post below while I’m writing this, but it isn’t appearing in the thread. :confused:

When it comes to hot sauce, I’m VERY fussy. I only like a few.

My favorite is called Valentina Salsa Picante. At the top it says Mexican Hot Sauce. Right before the address, the company’s name is Salsa Tamazula S.A.

I made all the distinctions because I’ve seen it under another name, but that official name before the address always stays the same.

I love ketchup…I guess it’s a sauce. Or is it a condiment? If hot sauce is a sauce, then ketchup should be a sauce. But then, why wouldn’t mayonnaise be a sauce? I LOVE mayonnaise. I love it more than bacon. And mustard. Isn’t it a sauce? Love it, too.

Hollandaise is delightful, but maybe I’m only thinking of it because it has sauce in the name and therefore pops into my head.

Salad dressings seem just as much sauces as hollandaise and taco sauce. And I do love it.

How about gravy? How is it not a sauce? I LOVE gravy. Good gravy. Great gravy.

I guess I’ll have to wait for more posts to see what else is out there. I just know I’m going to find dozens more I love, too.

Sweet chili sauce is my favorite. Easy to make, but I’m lazy and jut buy large bottles of it instead. I do make my own peanut sauce, and the sweet chili sauce plus sriracha are key ingredients.

Sauce covers a wide range. I would say Hershey’s chocolate sauce since its so versatile and goes on so many desserts. And ketchup, I’ve always loved ketchup. but not these two things together.

Hollandaise sauce. I make it with a stick blender, and it’s easy and painless.

I have to agree with Runs With Scissors on the Valentina. I go through quarts of the Valentina extra hot. As hot sauces go, it’s pretty low sodium with only 64 mg per teaspoon. Most others can be twice that. Huy Fong sriracha is excellent, but I now use the Huy Fong chili garlic sauce more because it’s hotter and I can use less of it and still get the desired warmth.

I love soy sauce, but the stuff’s basically liquid salt, so none for me any more. I never met a Worcestershire sauce I didn’t like.

Trying to keep sodium intake below 2 g a day isn’t easy.

Sriracha!!! This Oatmeal cartoon sums up how I feel pretty well. It’s like sriracha is food, and whatever you’re eating it on is just there to highlight the sauce. I honestly can’t even detect any heat in it anymore, I just know that food with sriracha tastes “normal,” food without tastes like it’s missing something.

I’m a steak lover so it’s A1 for me.

Veal demi-glace.

La Sabrosita Salsa Verde

I miss the Rochester-style hot and sweet sauce, which is citrus-based, and unlike anything I’ve encountered elsewhere. It is not the sauce most places use on buffalo wings. It was the staple of places like the now-departed Smitty’s, and of the existing Sal’s Birdland and Country Sweet Chicken and Ribs (and maybe Nick Tahou’s. I know it’s blasphemy, but I never visited Nick’s, and never had a Garbage Plate).

Many of these places sell or sold the sauce, and I know I can order jars of Boss Sauce (and others) through the internet – something I need to do, as my supply is about exhausted. If you go to the Rochester area, you can buy it at places like Wegman’s. But I can’t get it outside of upstate New York ex cept by order.

I love barbecue sauce, particularly from Dinosaur Barbecue in Rochester and Syracuse, NY. I really enjoy cooking and try to make things from scratch whenever possible, but I love this sauce so much that I’ve never tried to make my own. Since they sell it in grocery stores here in Buffalo, I use it for all my pulled pork and spareribs.

Whenever I’m traveling for work (usually once every couple of months), I try to work in a stop to Rochester or Syracuse to buy one of their pulled pork sandwiches.

Hint: Its not ketchup or mayo based.

Sriracha is my favorite, with Guapo being a close second.

I’ve enjoyed JesusFish Country Bob’s Steak Sauce. But, not on steak.
We use it on chicken. Good stuff.

Does “tomato sauce” count as cheating?

I like it minimalist, I like it arrabbiata, I like it with mushrooms, I like it with chopped-up veggies, I prefer salsa rosa to mayonesa (salsa rosa is mayonesa with a dash of tomato)… I’m one of those people who are very, very grateful tomatoes exist.

The sauce we go through most at this house is oyster sauce, followed closely by fish sauce. Pretty much all my stir frying uses one or both of them, plus I often use a little bit of fish sauce to perk up stews and sauces. (If you use it carefully, it basically acts like liquid MSG. You don’t really get a fishy flavor, but it seems to amplify beefy flavors. It’s a hit of umami.)