How much data do you have stored on your computer?

How much data do you have stored on your computer? How safely or securely are the data stored? What type of data do you have? Are you obsessed with organizing data and have a bazillion folders on your hard drive? What kind of software do you use frequently (for work, for personal life, for recreation, etc.)? Do you have Microsoft Office installed on your personal computer? For what purpose do you use your computer? Have you used a computer strictly for computations, calculations, and simulations? Do you have computer games installed on your computer? If so, what kind of computer game? Have you ever attempted to create your own program? What’s the purpose of the program, and do you find it useful in your life? How many computers do you use currently or have you used in your life? Which one do you like best – Macintosh or PC?

Three terabytes. ~500GB of that gets backed up “the important stuff.” [eyes glaze over as I contemplate the ensuing questions] …and I’m a PC guy.

75gb of space taken up. 4gb is my ebook collection. 15gb is family pictures. (I’m scanning all the old film photos so that I have backups and can share them with family.) The rest is movies, anime, various gamehouse games my mom has bought over the years, and various bits of software.

I do have microsoft office 2010 on here. I have nero 11, sony dvd architect, and sony vegas pro as well. (I make dvds for schools, churches, etc on the side. Those programs pretty much used up every bit of profit I made doing that. Next expensive item will be a dvd press.)

Right now nothing is backed up, as nothing I have on here is important except the pictures. If the computer crashes, it won’t take but about 4 hours to get everything installed again.

Not much. I have a terabyte of disk space and I think I have something like 980 gigs free. I’m at work right now so not positive. My computer is mostly for entertainment, it’s hooked up to the TV in the living room. I stream all my music through a subscription service, so nothing important stored there, I stream all my movies and don’t care about downloading or saving them, so nothing stored there, and pictures are on my phone and facebook and an external drive I can grab in case of fire and somewhere in the Google cloud that I’ve never bothered to figure out how to log into and do whatever I’m supposed to do to organize all that. I have Word and Excel just in case I need to fool with something work related while at home, but that’s happened exactly twice in ten years.

A little under 4 terabytes in total. Quite a bit of it of it is raw video, from finished projects, none of which is redundantly backed up on other drives. But, I do have all the original MiniDV tapes, if worse comes to worse. And, of course, all the finished projects are backed up multiple times. So, to be honest, I could start deleting some of that raw footage to make more room, and I probably will soon. Now that I’ve switched over to an all digital, tapeless workflow, gonna start using up a lot more drive space…

I’m on a Mac.

25TB online, plus 30TB off, but part of the 25 is redundant (RAID-type Drobo). 80% is broadcast video or related files, and I haven’t even gotten into hidef much yet. The five 3TB drives in the Drobo are looking very small right now. Home-brew PCs only.

With that much data, organization is a must.