Samsara trailer (Baraka sequel)

Sequel probably isn’t quite the right word. But here’s the Samsara trailer.

oooh, shiny.

My husband is a super fan of Baraka, so this will be lovely. I’m a bit surprised he didn’t know about it already!

Wow, thanks for the heads up!

This2008 thread announcing the release of Baraka on Blu-Ray is what tipped us over the edge to getting a player (11-02-2008, 12:17 PM to be exact). Funny thing is, in that thread I also posted “Oh, just in case anyone missed it – it looks like there’s a sequel (if you can call it that) coming out next year: Samsara.” Looks like the went a bit over schedule :slight_smile:

Looking forward to August!

Yay. I’d almost forgotten about being excited too.

No thread for when it came out? Or was I the only one who saw it yet?

<spoilers below>

I saw it last week and rather liked it. The imagery, as expected, was amazing. Though as much as I liked the nature stuff I didn’t find those parts to be terribly compelling. He’s at his best when looking at humans or human constructions. The bits and pieces of social commentary (most obvious in the production[China]/consumption[USA]) were okay. I don’t think it’s best at delivering that sort of message. His major theme seems to be “humanity is fascinating”. And most of what is shown is fascinating and interesting, and you can simply watch it go by. The mandala does sort of tie together a sense of striving for meaning or accomplishment which is kind of seen throughout. I think you could also take the idea of trying to find peace in a world such as this, although that idea was subtle too. (As I think it should be; it’s hard not to compare this with Naqoyqatsi, which I thought was way too heavy-handed. I liked Samsara much better.)