The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 05-01-2012, 05:30 PM

I know one crackhead. He got clean and transferred his fervor to Jesus. I don't really consider it an improvement.

Last edited by DianaG; 05-01-2012 at 05:30 PM..
Advertisements  
Old 05-01-2012, 05:37 PM

I don't think I've known any, but I really don't get much interaction with underworld types. Which is something I'm not happy with, I prefer dysfunctional people, they make me feel less bad about myself.

I have always been under the impression that the stereotype of an addict (whether meth, alcohol, heroin or crack) was the worst of the worst, not the typical addict. I have known alcoholics who were quite functional, they weren't lying in the street drinking out of a brown bag. I assumed the same was true with meth and crack. You have a continuum of dysfunction with the worst of the worst being the stereotype.

I have known a couple of meth addicts (not too well) and was told that they didn't give off the stereotypical signs you'd assume. They had good teeth, and one was quite attractive.

Are there functional crack addicts, or is it a drug that really does affect you that badly?

Besides, I thought meth was 'better' than crack. I haven't tried either, but I thought meth gave you the same high as crack, but kept it up for hours rather than minutes like crack does. If so, what incentive is there to use crack instead of meth?

Last edited by Wesley Clark; 05-01-2012 at 05:37 PM..
Old 05-01-2012, 07:22 PM

What's with the thing about sex addiction going hand in hand with crack?

Sure plenty of addicts have multiple addiction, but it's not like crack is some sort of 'spanish fly' In fact, too much leads to inability to perform/function as it constricts blood flow. It certainly does not activate the flow of sexuality that MDMA does.

Lots of things in this thread are incorrect or tainted from personal experiences with random addicts on the street.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belladonna View Post

This is nonsensical. "More pure" than what? As you said, it's made from cocaine. Product made from stomped-on powder will not magically turn primo just because you've added a bit of baking powder.

It's really not. Powder cocaine is cut with impurities that are removed in the cooking process of making crack. Please do some research.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDurden View Post
What's with the thing about sex addiction going hand in hand with crack?

Sure plenty of addicts have multiple addiction, but it's not like crack is some sort of 'spanish fly' In fact, too much leads to inability to perform/function as it constricts blood flow. It certainly does not activate the flow of sexuality that MDMA does.

Lots of things in this thread are incorrect or tainted from personal experiences with random addicts on the street.
You are correct in that many times it will affect sexual ability in more chronic users when they are high. However, it does not lower their libidos whatsoever; in fact it increases it tremendously. A common thing for a male crackhead to do is to engage in some sort of wild sex while high, even though he's unable to cum, and then when he's not high he'll masturbate to the memories of the "fun".

Last edited by Ambivalid; 05-01-2012 at 08:35 PM..
Old 05-01-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
So, you're saying every addict is different? This much, at least, is true. So why did you spend so many words above insisting the exact opposite?
Not every addict is in the same circumstances; not every addict has been addicted as long and not every addict has the same support structures. So obviously they won't all look the same. But there will be some common behavior in all of them, irrespective of circumstance.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambivalid View Post
You are correct in that many times it will affect sexual ability in more chronic users when they are high. However, it does not lower their libidos whatsoever; in fact it increases it tremendously. A common thing for a male crackhead to do is to engage in some sort of wild sex while high, even though he's unable to cum, and then when he's not high he'll masturbate to the memories of the "fun".
Erm... where do you get this? You're not new. Where's the citation?
Old 05-01-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaG View Post
Erm... where do you get this? You're not new. Where's the citation?
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...yamsOqv6NDYNdw
Old 05-01-2012, 08:47 PM

Seriously?
Old 05-01-2012, 08:59 PM

Dear Og! No wonder he doesn't know anything.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:01 PM

I used to know a few coworkers who would come into work in the same clothes they left in. Some smelled like booze and once or twice some seemed to have powder on their jackets or tops. (Damn laundromats should never have liquor licences....)

I've worked with a heroin addict; saw her not only shoot up in the office but shoot up her skanky BF in the parking deck while he held the rubber hose. She wasn't a whore, but she was low-class.

At school I saw a kid who could have doubled for Jim Kelly (martial arts & all) devolve into a drooling idiot who thought peeing himself was funny after he discovered smoking 'dipped' cigarettes. Never saw him again after that semester.

The privacy act prevents me from saying anything specific (& HR NARCs prevent me from posting more) about my dealings with the public. But I deal with so many entitled, truly brain-f-cked individuals on a daily basis that I just Must have dealt with at least One crack whore.
Of course it could have been other drugs, a whole host degenerative brain diseases, modern genetic -ssholishness, or maybe one parent thought banging a kids head rapidly from side to side while standing in a door frame was their bands new break through sound.

There's gotta be an explanation in there somewhere....

PS- As for the 'whore' part, does regularly finding used condoms left in the company parking lot count...?
Old 05-01-2012, 09:06 PM

Eeeeek. This info was cited by someone who revealed details about his patient population, and thanks to google, we now know where he works...not cool. America's military deserves better than that.

Rich Lopez, LMSW
U.S. Army Victim Adovate Program Manager at US Army
San Antonio, Texas Area Military
Old 05-01-2012, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Seriously?
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...LNyBsscMTGgJ3g

Crack cocaine Category: Stimulants

Also known as: Freebase, Base, Rocks, Stones, Wash, Pebbles, Gravel.

How it's used

Crack cocaine is a smokeable form of cocaine which is made by chemically altering cocaine powder to form crystals or rocks (about the size of a raisin). It is called crack because it makes a crackling sound when it is being burnt. Crack is usually smoked in a pipe, glass tube, plastic bottle or in foil. It can also be injected.

Short-term effects
• Crack is also a short acting stimulant drug but the effects are much stronger than cocaine
• Creates an immediate intense euphoria which peaks after about 2 minutes and lasts for around 10 minutes
• The “high” feeling can induce hallucinations, huge mood swings and paranoia
• Aggression and violence
• Users report feeling alert, energetic and confident
• Dry mouth, loss of appetite, sweating, increased heart and pulse rate
• Once the high has worn off (after about 20 minutes), it is followed by a long low crash which can be associated with strong cravings to take more

Long-term effects
• Increased anxiety, nervousness and psychotic behaviour
• Chronic coughing, cracked wheezy breathing and partial loss of voice
• Breathing problems and damage to lungs
• Difficulty sleeping
• Weight loss
• Debt

Other dangers
• Risk of overdosing increases if mixed with heroin, barbiturates or alcohol
• High doses can raise the body’s temperature, cause convulsions and respiratory arrest.
• Problems with anxiety, paranoia and panic attacks.
• Loss of sexual desire, heart problems
• Damage to veins if injecting
• Risk of HIV and Hepatitis transmission if injecting equipment is shared
• Increased libido can lead to risky sexual behaviours

If you are pregnant

Crack cocaine use during pregnancy can induce miscarriage, premature labour, smaller babies and congenital abnormalities. Babies born to mothers who are crack users during pregnancy will show withdrawal syndrome following birth.

Addictive

Crack can quickly become both physically and psychologically additive. Tolerance increases over time and so users have to keep increasing their dose to get the same effect.

Withdrawal

Tiredness and depression

(bolding mine)
Old 05-01-2012, 09:17 PM
Charter Member

That same cite also says that crack abuse can also cause "Loss of sexual desire".
Old 05-01-2012, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
That same cite also says that crack abuse can also cause "Loss of sexual desire".
If you read actual crack addicts' (active and recovering) give their description of what it was like to smoke it, you will find virtually all of these accounts sharing the aspect of crack increasing their libidos and lowering inhibitions. Of course not every single person reacts the same way to a drug but crack has some definite common traits among it's addicts.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:00 PM

Well of course you will, it sounds way cooler than "Bounced off walls and talked a lot for an hour. Came down. Went looking for more crack."

Last edited by DianaG; 05-01-2012 at 10:01 PM..
Old 05-01-2012, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Well of course you will, it sounds way cooler than "Bounced off walls and talked a lot for an hour. Came down. Went looking for more crack."
?!Sounds way cooler?! Ok, I see we aren't really even having a serious discussion here.

Last edited by Ambivalid; 05-01-2012 at 10:05 PM..
Old 05-01-2012, 10:06 PM

Well of course not. You can't have a serious discussion with someone who believes whatever nonsense Google spits out and refuses to consider that his "research" may have been incomplete and inconclusive.

Last edited by DianaG; 05-01-2012 at 10:08 PM..
Old 05-01-2012, 10:18 PM

Quote:
It's really not. Powder cocaine is cut with impurities that are removed in the cooking process of making crack. Please do some research.
My research is three years spent living in a crackhouse, so please stop with the condescension. Shitty powder makes shitty crack unless you double-process it. The majority of mass-produced rock on the market is single-processed and is of the same or less purity than the powder it was made from.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:26 PM

Quote:
My research is three years spent living in a crackhouse, so please stop with the condescension. Shitty powder makes shitty crack unless you double-process it. The majority of mass-produced rock on the market is single-processed and is of the same or less purity than the powder it was made from.
Don't compare your actual experiences with those of an expert who has glanced at several websites.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
Don't compare your actual experiences with those of an expert who has glanced at several websites.
And cited someone who discloses details about their clientele.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
If you read actual crack addicts' (active and recovering) give their description of what it was like to smoke it, you will find virtually all of these accounts sharing the aspect of crack increasing their libidos and lowering inhibitions. Of course not every single person reacts the same way to a drug but crack has some definite common traits among it's addicts.
I must have missed that during the eleven years I worked in an alcohol and substance abuse treatment center.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:04 AM

A fairly close friend of mine has been addicted to crack (along with meth, coke, and alcohol) pretty much since I've known him. The cycle is thus: he's clean and going to meetings. He's way into the program and sober/clean living and "let go and let God." Things are going so well that he maybe even gets a job. He gets a paycheck. He goes on a gigantic binge that involves him losing whatever job that is or going to jail. He goes back to rehab and starts working the program again. He is clean and "let go and let God" for a few months. Someone takes pity on him, thinking he has changed, and gives him a job. He gets a paycheck. He goes on a gigantic binge and ruins everything for himself again.

He has stolen from me, run through all of his parents' money with his legal troubles, ruined his reputation- and he can't seem to stop. Now, granted, crack is not his only problem, but I do think the crack is controlling his life, moreso than any of the other drugs. When I first met him, he had a friend who was about five years younger (he was in his early 20s, the young friend and I were just out of high school.) He convinced this poor kid to smoke crack with him, got him high, and rolled him for all of his money and stole his car. The last time I saw him, he was performing in a play and just never showed up for the last show (this was a professional, paying gig with a sold out house but no understudy) because he was smoking crack. No call, nothing- the director went by his building to look for him and he had locked himself in his apartment with some random guys and was using (a super common occurence when he's binging is that he will completely drop off the face of the earth for a week- not responding to anyone's texts or calls, not showing up for work or bothering to even call in, until his sister or parents will threaten to call the cops unless he texts them to say he is alive.)
I had seen him not 24 hours before and he was clean, sober, and chatting about how well things were going and how much his sponsor was helping him, and how much he loved performing in the show he doing.

I think there are some addictions that lend themselves better to hiding/functioning (like alcoholism- we've all known functional alcoholics who were fooling everyone.) In my (admittedly very limited) experience, crack is not one of them. When this friend is using crack, he is unable to do anything (not even able to muster up a plausible lie like "I'm really sick, I can't do the show tonight" so he could get back to smoking his crack in peace.)

Last edited by Green Rosetta; 05-02-2012 at 12:06 AM..
Old 05-02-2012, 01:32 AM

Quote:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...AL43cb-EV6eGHg

Last edited by Ambivalid; 05-02-2012 at 01:37 AM..
Old 05-02-2012, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Or how about this one...http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...FnFdw1nowvrAHw

Crack is the street name for crystallized freebase cocaine. It is a powerful central nervous system stimulant, sold in ready to smoke chunks or ‘rocks’. Crack looks like small lumps or shavings of soap, but has the texture of porcelain. Because of the way it looks, crack is often referred to as ‘rock’ or ‘ready-rock’. The rocks are nicknamed ‘Crack’ because of the crackling sound they make as they are smoked. It is generally more pure than the powdered cocaine from which it is made, but this smokable product can still contain impurities. Crack is five to six times stronger than the cocaine normally purchased on the street.

(bolding mine)

Last edited by Ambivalid; 05-02-2012 at 01:43 AM..
Old 05-02-2012, 03:11 AM

Crack is made by reacting powder cocaine with sodium bicarbonate in a water solution and then evaporating the water leaving behind a solid mass which is chipped into rocks and sold. Where did the impurities go? How did it get more potent? *It is possible to filter and purify but doubtful many street level dealers do it.

Smoking(actually vaporizing ) cocaine is more potent than snorting powder, but that has nothing to do with the potency of the drug it is just a different route of administration. Injecting morphine IV is more potent than ingesting it orally, the potency of the drug is the same.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:13 AM

Quote:
They will do anything; with anybody. And for those who think they knew of someone who used crack but wasn't "like that"; trust me: THEY WERE. You just didn't know about it.
I tried crack. I did not become a crack whore. I never sold my mother, for any amount of money.

I think you are wrong to make these blanket statements. Not every person who has ever tried crack is a horrible person. Sure, some addicts are jerks who would steal your TV for another hit, but if crack didn't exist, they'd be stealing and whoring for some other drug.

Demonizing the drug is pointless. It takes away personal responsibility, by implying that the drug causes them to commit crime. A person who steals is a thief, it doesn't matter the reason they steal.

BTW: Substance abuse and dependence are recognized mental illnesses in the DSM IV.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:27 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice The Goon View Post
They would sell their grandmother into white slavery for 20 bucks.
Even the black ones.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcitedIdiot View Post
I tried crack. I did not become a crack whore. I never sold my mother, for any amount of money.

I think you are wrong to make these blanket statements. Not every person who has ever tried crack is a horrible person. Sure, some addicts are jerks who would steal your TV for another hit, but if crack didn't exist, they'd be stealing and whoring for some other drug.

Demonizing the drug is pointless. It takes away personal responsibility, by implying that the drug causes them to commit crime. A person who steals is a thief, it doesn't matter the reason they steal.

BTW: Substance abuse and dependence are recognized mental illnesses in the DSM IV.
I am not talking about every person who has ever tried the drug. I am talking about those addicted; those who continue to use. I'm not trying to "demonize" the drug-I'm really just trying to share some knowledge.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grude View Post
Crack is made by reacting powder cocaine with sodium bicarbonate in a water solution and then evaporating the water leaving behind a solid mass which is chipped into rocks and sold. Where did the impurities go?
They were removed via the "cooking" process (by heating the cocaine).

Last edited by Ambivalid; 05-02-2012 at 01:34 PM..
Old 05-02-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
I must have missed that during the eleven years I worked in an alcohol and substance abuse treatment center.
Of course I would never argue with someone who professionally dealt with crack addicts, so let me just ask you: what were your experiences with crackheads and their accounts of their earlier experiences with smoking crack?
Old 05-02-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
They were removed via the "cooking" process (by heating the cocaine).
What on earth does that have to do with anything? There is a certain amount of the active ingredient in every dose, no matter how pure it is. The difference is the delivery system. No amount of inert ingredients makes any difference. The cooking process neutralizes the cocaine (i.e. takes it from a salt form to a free base form). This is done so it can be smoked at a reasonable temperature without destroying the cocaine. It has nothing to do with impurities.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Rosetta View Post
A fairly close friend of mine has been addicted to crack (along with meth, coke, and alcohol) pretty much since I've known him. The cycle is thus: he's clean and going to meetings. He's way into the program and sober/clean living and "let go and let God." Things are going so well that he maybe even gets a job. He gets a paycheck. He goes on a gigantic binge that involves him losing whatever job that is or going to jail. He goes back to rehab and starts working the program again. He is clean and "let go and let God" for a few months. Someone takes pity on him, thinking he has changed, and gives him a job. He gets a paycheck. He goes on a gigantic binge and ruins everything for himself again.

He has stolen from me, run through all of his parents' money with his legal troubles, ruined his reputation- and he can't seem to stop. Now, granted, crack is not his only problem, but I do think the crack is controlling his life, moreso than any of the other drugs. When I first met him, he had a friend who was about five years younger (he was in his early 20s, the young friend and I were just out of high school.) He convinced this poor kid to smoke crack with him, got him high, and rolled him for all of his money and stole his car. The last time I saw him, he was performing in a play and just never showed up for the last show (this was a professional, paying gig with a sold out house but no understudy) because he was smoking crack. No call, nothing- the director went by his building to look for him and he had locked himself in his apartment with some random guys and was using (a super common occurence when he's binging is that he will completely drop off the face of the earth for a week- not responding to anyone's texts or calls, not showing up for work or bothering to even call in, until his sister or parents will threaten to call the cops unless he texts them to say he is alive.)I had seen him not 24 hours before and he was clean, sober, and chatting about how well things were going and how much his sponsor was helping him, and how much he loved performing in the show he doing.

I think there are some addictions that lend themselves better to hiding/functioning (like alcoholism- we've all known functional alcoholics who were fooling everyone.) In my (admittedly very limited) experience, crack is not one of them. When this friend is using crack, he is unable to do anything (not even able to muster up a plausible lie like "I'm really sick, I can't do the show tonight" so he could get back to smoking his crack in peace.)
(bolding mine)

And it is during these "binges" and when they disappear like this that their typical "crackhead" behavior emerges. It is during these binges that this sexual behavior surfaces and it's all sex and crack.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice The Goon View Post
I don't know where you live- Nebraska?
I assure you we have crackheads in Nebraska. Meth is much more prevalent, but they're both pretty bad.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:51 PM

Just out of curiosity, even assuming (which I don't) that the "it's all sex and crack!!1!!!111!" thing is true, why do you keep harping on it as though fucking is the most horrifying possible thing a person could be doing with their time?
Old 05-02-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, even assuming (which I don't) that the "it's all sex and crack!!1!!!111!" thing is true, why do you keep harping on it as though fucking is the most horrifying possible thing a person could be doing with their time?
I would guess he feels betrayed by her crackwhore behavior because of his feelings for her.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry for bringing this up here. I just found the entire subject incredibly interesting. I have not been harping on anything.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living Well Is Best Revenge View Post
I would guess he feels betrayed by her crackwhore behavior because of his feelings for her.
nm

Last edited by Ambivalid; 05-02-2012 at 02:05 PM..
Old 05-02-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry for bringing this up here. I just found the entire subject incredibly interesting. I have not been harping on anything.
People aren't annoyed that you wanted to discuss the subject, or even that you are wrong about many things. They're annoyed because you're obstinately sticking to your claims, even when it has been pointed out how ridiculous many of them are. They're annoyed because you're acting like you're the only person who has ever researched or had some sort of personal experience with substance abuse.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Even if you had presented your arguements as "this was my experience, and also what I read on xyz dot com..." -- that would have opened a discussion. Your OP title was asking if people knew someone; when people replied, you shut them down. Like I said elsewhere, this discourse taught me a lot about communication--especially in this community. So I thank you for that.

On another note, fwiw, it appears you've been stung by something out there and it hurt deep. There's lots of opportunity to process and rechannel that stinging; I recommend you start with AlAnon, NarAnon, or CODA. Volunteer to tutor children born addicted. Anything that can take that passion and turn it around. It can help to tell an old story in a new way.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:37 PM

Jamie - Maybe this was answered already, but I'm curious (sincerely) if this crackhead friend of yours is the same friend that went MIA on you earlier in the month.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:50 PM
Charter Member

When I worked in rental property management, we owned and managed a rooming house called The Crackhouse. We would rent to anyone who had Social Services paying their rent, and would put all the crackheads in that place.

I have known and dealt with at least a hundred of them, and the stories I can tell.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
You are harping on things. Stop telling everybody what crackheads are like and ask some questions. You just met your first crackhead. This problem is nearly 30 years old. There are, and have been, a lot of crackheads in that time. And there are commonalities in behavior among addicts that are not based on the particular substances, but on the common circumstances instead. And there is not one single way to deal with or treat a crackhead either.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ducca View Post
Jamie - Maybe this was answered already, but I'm curious (sincerely) if this crackhead friend of yours is the same friend that went MIA on you earlier in the month.
Yes.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:
You are harping on things. Stop telling everybody what crackheads are like and ask some questions. You just met your first crackhead. This problem is nearly 30 years old. There are, and have been, a lot of crackheads in that time. And there are commonalities in behavior among addicts that are not based on the particular substances, but on the common circumstances instead. And there is not one single way to deal with or treat a crackhead either.
Wrong. I didn't meet my first crackhead. Far from it. This experience was the first time someone I considered a friend was in fact a crackhead. I grew up in Flint, MI in the 80's and 90's; I have met and known several crackheads. I just never knew any of them well. And there is common behavior among crack addicts not found in other addicts. I will agree with your statement that there is no one single way to deal with or treat a crackhead; other than to completely and absolutely cut them out of your life (until and unless they are clean).

Last edited by Ambivalid; 05-02-2012 at 06:15 PM..
Old 05-02-2012, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by living_in_hell View Post
Even if you had presented your arguements as "this was my experience, and also what I read on xyz dot com..." -- that would have opened a discussion. Your OP title was asking if people knew someone; when people replied, you shut them down. Like I said elsewhere, this discourse taught me a lot about communication--especially in this community. So I thank you for that.

On another note, fwiw, it appears you've been stung by something out there and it hurt deep. There's lots of opportunity to process and rechannel that stinging; I recommend you start with AlAnon, NarAnon, or CODA. Volunteer to tutor children born addicted. Anything that can take that passion and turn it around. It can help to tell an old story in a new way.
Thank you. And I never meant to "shut down" opposing viewpoints. Rather, I was attempting to show that those viewpoints may have been only partial points-of-view in regards to this addiction. My writing style can be quite blunt or unnecessarily argumentative sometimes and I realize this hurts my message.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretaryofEvil View Post
People aren't annoyed that you wanted to discuss the subject, or even that you are wrong about many things. They're annoyed because you're obstinately sticking to your claims, even when it has been pointed out how ridiculous many of them are. They're annoyed because you're acting like you're the only person who has ever researched or had some sort of personal experience with substance abuse.
What "ridiculous" claims of mine have been rebutted with any sort of cite?
Old 05-02-2012, 06:43 PM

Quote:
What on earth does that have to do with anything? There is a certain amount of the active ingredient in every dose, no matter how pure it is. The difference is the delivery system. No amount of inert ingredients makes any difference. The cooking process neutralizes the cocaine (i.e. takes it from a salt form to a free base form). This is done so it can be smoked at a reasonable temperature without destroying the cocaine. It has nothing to do with impurities.
The post I was responding to was one in which the poster expressed disbelief at the idea that crack was in fact a purer form of cocaine than powder cocaine (typically). I wasn't making a claim that crack had higher levels of the active ingredient than coke; rather that it was a purer substance.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:00 AM
Charter Member

A good friend of mine smoked crack, among other things, when he was a teenager. Not sure about the sex, honestly, I think he was just into the highs and altered states of drugs.

I don't know how long he was into it. I think he moved on to pot, plus some really esoteric stuff that aided in mystical experiences, and as far as I know he's largely off street drugs now--though he's still a mystic, and probably takes something bizarre for certain occasional esoteric experiences.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:55 AM

Quote:
The post I was responding to was one in which the poster expressed disbelief at the idea that crack was in fact a purer form of cocaine than powder cocaine (typically). I wasn't making a claim that crack had higher levels of the active ingredient than coke; rather that it was a purer substance.
Please explain your definition of "pure". I'm just not getting it.

If you add Substance A to Substance B, isn't the resulting substance C inherently less "pure" than Substance A was to start?

If I add water to lemon juice and sugar, I get lemonade. Lemonade is some tasty, tasty stuff, but it's not as "pure" as water, right? Or, I suppose if you wanted to look at it another way, it's not as "pure" as the lemon juice, because now it's got all this water and sugar in it.

How can crack be more "pure" than powdered cocaine when powdered cocaine is one of the ingredients of crack?