The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > The BBQ Pit

Old 05-10-2012, 03:08 AM

Based on the info in this thread it appears to me that Planet Fitness wants to have their cake and eat it too, they want people's money BUT they also create such a restrictive and nebulous set of rules that they can kick out anyone who actually wants to make use of the equipment. I wonder how often Ambivalid was in there using the equipment and if he got marked as a regular to be got rid of.

I'm reminded of the cellular ISPs that kick customers off willy nilly, they say your transfer limit is 4 gigs a month but if you go over 500MB they kick you off. They don't want customers who use the service, they want customers who pay the monthly fee and come in for an hour every six months to use the exercise bike.
Advertisements  
Old 05-10-2012, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Love View Post
Watch the Daily Show link. Breathing too heavily is enough to set off the Lunk Alarm.

For some lifts releasing and dropping the weight is the safest way to miss a rep. Example 1, Example 2
I can't watch the Daily Show link given, as it's US viewers only. Have looked for a UK version but no luck.

With regards to the example of a 140KG snatch requiring a drop, you're quite correct. But if that's the exercises you're going for, why the hell are you training in a gym with a stated aversion to hard core weight lifters? I'd be as well complaining that all the kids at my local fun pool make it impossible to swim lengths. Horses for courses. You want to press big numbers, good on you - go find a suitable gym.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Once again, supposed liberals are saying shit about how money is somehow more important than doing what's right. They're actually defending the corporation for discriminating against someone because it makes more sense monetarily.
It's just the break the Romney campaign has been looking for!
Old 05-10-2012, 05:04 AM

Compare and contrast:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambivalid
By telling members, "No grunting", PF is basically telling their members to never work 100%
Quote:
I never equated grunting to "putting full effort in"
So, 100% isn't full effort now?

and

Quote:
I absolutely never said anyone was exercising to failure with weights above their head; with or without a spotter
Quote:
This person, who is concentrating on the lift and has over 100lbs of iron over their head, has that concentration totally broken by the alarm
OK. So this will be a 100lb over head that requires full concentration, yet hasn't gone to point of failure, and has a spotter who's also somehow not paying attention. My mistake.

Oh, and all the original quotes are from your OP, so please don't tell me I'm conflating.

I note though you didn't answer the key question here a number of people have raised. Why do you think they canned you?
Old 05-10-2012, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaG
Not really. They're both all about how very abused and oppressed you are. There are always rules, and everyone has to follow them. Everyone thinks that they're special, and by definition almost everyone is mistaken.
Quote:
Wrong. This thread ISN"T about me. This thread is about PlanetFitness and the ridiculous policies that are going to end up hurting someone and costing them in the long run. Please don't try to twist this around
No, this thread is about how PF sucks so bad because they bounced you for absolutely nothing except for breaking their rules - but only just a little bit and only that once right?

Based on reading previous posts of yours I have to wonder how insistent/persistent/obnoxious you were about the cardio-equipment.

I find it difficult to believe that a chain like PF would be stupid enough to target a member of a visible minority so transparently and blatantly given that you live in the land of litigation.

I wonder if when you heard the "lunk alarm" (agreed that it is a stupid idea) just after you crashed weights, grunted or what have you you thought to yourself, "I guess some other asshole must be doing something wrong. Sure isn't me."

You seem to always be the completely innocent victim of malice and evil at the hands of... the world I guess. In my experience the more innocent someone tries to come off in cases like this the less innocent they are.

Last edited by Zeke N. Destroi; 05-10-2012 at 05:08 AM.. Reason: fixed quote boxes
Old 05-10-2012, 05:22 AM

The lunk alarm is stupid, AND ambivalid is a whining piece of shit!
Old 05-10-2012, 05:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyer6 View Post
I guess this is possible, but honestly I have trouble imagining it. If people really were excited about this machine, why on earth wouldn't the gym want to buy it? I just don't understand this argument - they could make lots of good money off disabled people (and other people who want an arm bike) if they bought the right equipment, but they won't because...why? They just don't want disabled people in there? They're in the business of making money - if it really was profitable to by these machines and cater to the disabled market, someone would be doing it already.
I don't think we can totally discount the notion of discrimination against the disabled here. Even if the regular management of the PF gym in question was thrilled to have Jamie around, it could be this one guy is a complete dickhead and can't stand the sight of disabled people. People don't associate people in wheelchairs with gyms and athletics, and I've heard before comments that disabled people shouldn't be in a gym "because they might get hurt". Uh, yeah, right - I think our buddy here has some notion about what "getting hurt" is actually about, I mean, how do you think he wound up wheeling instead of walking?

Prejudiced people can be willing to forgo a surprising amount of money just so they don't have to associate with "those people", whether they're disabled or black or something else. When it's a measly $10 a month it makes it that much easier. There are still too many people who regard being disabled as a case of the cooties and contagious.

Or, yes, it could be Ambivalid being a total dickhead, but I think his main problem in these situations is that he's an uppity gimp and doesn't back down. It's a trait that can be both admirable and irritating as hell.

I agree, though PF doesn't seem to be a good fit here - they're not catering to the person wanting to optimize their fitness and exercise, they're aiming at the folks who are more casual in their approach and more modest in their goals.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Kumquat View Post
Tell me a gym chain that aren't?
Most gyms are willing to provide services to the minority of customers who will use them regularly. PF just skims the most profitable customers from the market.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:58 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
Uh, yeah, right - I think our buddy here has some notion about what "getting hurt" is actually about, I mean, how do you think he wound up wheeling instead of walking?
No show without Punch, is it?
Old 05-10-2012, 06:00 AM

Quote:
I don't think we can totally discount the notion of discrimination against the disabled here.
Considering all the links given above showing PF happily bounce people if they think they are being too loud/meathead/whatever, should it not require at least some evidence to suggest this is discrimination?

I mean, certain principles by Occam spring to mind here. We've got a guy who has already fallen out with one gym, and is rather militant in his dealings with others. He notes in his OP that he does grunt, and does drop weights. We've got a gym chain that blatantly aims for the casual market, and proudly states that they will ban people for behaviour they see as intimidating/whatever.

So, on that basis, tell me again why we have to think this could be down to discrimination?
Old 05-10-2012, 06:55 AM

You set yourself up for disappointment and you're now upset and disappointed. My advice would be to stop doing that.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:18 AM

What's the deal with people weight lifting in the confines of public restroom stalls? I'm all for rules against grunting.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastly Rotter View Post
This is a complete non-sequiter to me and I have no idea how this relates to the thread. I realize this is the Pit but I don't suppose you'd care to explain the reference?

Quote:
Considering all the links given above showing PF happily bounce people if they think they are being too loud/meathead/whatever, should it not require at least some evidence to suggest this is discrimination?
Certain categories of people are so widely discriminated against that the possibility arises even on minimal evidence. For example, if a black man was booted out of a gym it wouldn't surprise me if race was a factor. If a woman was kicked out of a weight room it wouldn't surprise me if sexism was a factor. If someone is visibly disabled discrimination is likewise a possibility.

Between that, and the PF bimbo in the linked video making it VERY clear that only the "proper" people should be allowed in her precious gym yes, I have to wonder if it wasn't a factor. Being an uppity disabled person makes it that much easier to manufacture an acceptable and legal excuse to get the cripple out of the gym.

I'm not some bodybuilder type, but I do make some noise when I exercise. Being an asthmatic, my breathing can get pretty noisy at times, and the linked video makes it clear that breathing too hard is considered unacceptable. In other words, PF wants you to exercise, but not too hard. I'm sure they'll outlaw sweating next.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
If a woman was kicked out of a weight room it wouldn't surprise me if sexism was a factor.
I'm not some bodybuilder type, but I do make some noise when I exercise. .
Do you go there to service your sex drive?
Old 05-10-2012, 07:43 AM
Charter Member

Excuse me? What the fuck does that statement have to do with this thread - or are you providing an example of sexism here?
Old 05-10-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Certain categories of people are so widely discriminated against that the possibility arises even on minimal evidence. For example, if a black man was booted out of a gym it wouldn't surprise me if race was a factor. If a woman was kicked out of a weight room it wouldn't surprise me if sexism was a factor. If someone is visibly disabled discrimination is likewise a possibility.
So, no actual reason to believe it then?
Old 05-10-2012, 08:37 AM
Charter Member

Sounds like PF did you a favor, and that you're a terrible fit for their stupid policies. After watching the Daily Show segment I'd never set foot in one of their gyms, and I'm pretty fuckin' far from a meathead.

Sometimes you make involuntary noises during a lift or while using a machine, if you're working to fatigue like you should. Sometimes heavy weights make a noise when you put them down. As long as you're not grunting like a gorilla and letting the weights crash to the ground from waist level, I don't see the problem. I don't do it, and it's extremely rare to see meatheads at my LA Fitness doing it, even without the benefit of a "lunk alarm."
Old 05-10-2012, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
So, no actual reason to believe it then?
I married to someone who was once told flat out told he could not join a gym because he walked funny. Granted, that was years ago, when it was legal to discriminate in that manner, but anyone who thinks those attitudes have disappeared is an idiot.

Part of the reason Jamie had his altercation over the handicap spot at that one gym is the attitude among the able-bodied that reserving those spots don't matter, and the disabled don't go to gyms so it doesn't matter if they park there for "just a minute". I'm not saying his "solution" was the best possible response, but you're being willfully blind if you don't see that yes, there is an element of prejudice at work here.

There mere fact PF wants to bar "lunkheads" from their facilities tells me they aren't about fitness but about something else (money extraction, social status, whatever). If you don't fit their ideas of what is proper you're not welcome. As soon as I hear/see they don't want "serious" bodybuilders or fitness fanatics I have to start wondering who else they don't want.

Last edited by Broomstick; 05-10-2012 at 08:41 AM..
Old 05-10-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Excuse me? What the fuck does that statement have to do with this thread - or are you providing an example of sexism here?
He was making a jokey reference about your recent pit thread. Lighten up, Frances.

Oh, and look up Punch & Judy to answer your earlier question.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I married to someone who was once told flat out told he could not join a gym because he walked funny. Granted, that was years ago, when it was legal to discriminate in that manner, but anyone who thinks those attitudes have disappeared is an idiot.
If your husband---or anyone else in the history of time, for that matter---was ever told "you cannot join this gym because you walk funny," in those exact words, I will consume the Seattle Space Needle big end first.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
If your husband---or anyone else in the history of time, for that matter---was ever told "you cannot join this gym because you walk funny," in those exact words, I will consume the Seattle Space Needle big end first.
I questioned Broomstick's truthfulness once.

ONCE.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:13 AM

Jamie - As strange as it is to say it, I'm with you on this rant. I'm no gym rat and have a membership at the Y that I never use (and you can tell, clothed or not) but everything I've heard and read about PF really turns me off on them as a corporation.

Of course, you may be embellishing in your OP in regards to how many times you'd been warned or in the ways you work out there - but I don't think it's really relevant to whether or not this is a shitty company.

Sounds like they did you a favor at least.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Part of the reason Jamie had his altercation over the handicap spot at that one gym is the attitude among the able-bodied that reserving those spots don't matter, and the disabled don't go to gyms so it doesn't matter if they park there for "just a minute". I'm not saying his "solution" was the best possible response, but you're being willfully blind if you don't see that yes, there is an element of prejudice at work here.
No one in that thread denied that the guy who parked in the handicapped spot was a jackass for doing it. However no one can read the guy's mind to know for sure that he thought disabled people don't use gyms or that he's completely prejudiced against them. Of course discrimination exists, but so do oblivious douchebarges who think they can do whatever they want because rules are for other people. Again: the guy who parked in the handicapped spot was an ignorant jackass, but what flavor can't be determined here and now.

Quote:
There mere fact PF wants to bar "lunkheads" from their facilities tells me they aren't about fitness but about something else (money extraction, social status, whatever). If you don't fit their ideas of what is proper you're not welcome. As soon as I hear/see they don't want "serious" bodybuilders or fitness fanatics I have to start wondering who else they don't want.
PF's "schtick" is to be the gym for the average marshmallow to go work out without being mocked or having the equipment hogged by the Charles Atlas set (IOW being discriminated against and mocked for not being hardbodies). And apparently the people they don't want are the ones who break their rules, even if said rules are pretty stupid.

Someone upthread mentioned Occam's Razor, and I agree. Ambivalid himself mentioned that others were kicked out as well in post 15, and that he's never seen another person in a wheelchair there in post 23. A rule, even a stupid rule, applied equally across the board isn't discriminatory.

Last edited by Azeotrope; 05-10-2012 at 09:22 AM.. Reason: indiscriminate spelling
Old 05-10-2012, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Sounds like PF did you a favor, and that you're a terrible fit for their stupid policies.
Agreed

Now, I'm not into fitness but I HAVE seen Planet Fitnesses TV commercials and I have read AmbiValid's post's before.

Now, if I want a pizza I go to a place that sells pizza.........I don't go to McDonalds and whine and rant because they don't have pizza.

Now PF is not a gym for serious fitness freaks. Their marketing consists of "If you are a serious fitness freak, go away".........really, that is the freakin' theme of their most recognizable TV commercial.

Now, maybe your town doesn't have any pizza restaurants or none with the pizza you like or maybe you've been banned from every pizza place in town.

That still doesn't make ranting at Mcdonalds for not selling pizza a reasonable course of action.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
No-one is arguing that discrimination has disappeared. The argument is that, in the absence of any evidence to suggest discrimination, and with the OP having stated that he does indeed do things in breach of PF's rules, then the like reason is not discrimination.

Quote:
There mere fact PF wants to bar "lunkheads" from their facilities tells me they aren't about fitness but about something else (money extraction, social status, whatever).
Or alternatively, they are a company that operates a series of gyms trying to target a market of people who are a bit nervous about the gym, and they think that the more aggressive/hard core gym goer might be a major deterrent to their intended clientèle.

Well, I say alternative, but there is one part of your claim I'm happy to agree with. I am certain their model is based around money extraction, as you mention. Them being a company, and all.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

If this thread is about Planet Fitness's policies and philosophies, then my conclusion is that the OP is wrong. Wanting to create an atmosphere in which out-of-shape people aren't intimidated by bodybuilders or serious athletes is a perfectly good philosophy. And I can see how "no grunting" and "no dropping weights" rules might be reasonable ways in which to support that philosophy. That alarm thing, I think that would annoy me, but I'm assuming it's more of a p.r. thing and not used too often.

On the other hand, if this thread is about how Planet Fitness might have mistreated the OP by discriminating against him or unfairly applying its rules, then maybe there's a case to be made. Maybe they did treat him unfairly. Based on the facts offered in the thread, I don't know whether they did or not. But it seems odd to me that this is the aspect of the situation that the OP stresses that he doesn't want to talk about.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:23 AM

http://http://blogington.com/7-failed-mcdonalds-products/
That was my first link posted here--it may be a failure.

The more I think about it, the more I agree that it really doesn't make that much sense for you to be there. You posted a just thread last week defining yourself as somewhat of a bodybuilding expert. PF, while close to you, is not a place that appreciates/respects/caters to such people. I am quite athletic and highly knowledgeable about fitness, health, exercise, and weight training. Even if I lived upstairs from a Curves, I would never ever join there. I have nothing against that place, I just know it's not for me. And honestly, I'm not for them. (It's like, why would I take an intro class when I already have a masters degree?)

Maybe you were pushy in the parking lot, maybe you grunted. At the end of the day, why would someone who takes seriously their exercise go to a place that does not? Drive across town. Find a place where you fit in. Let the "20 minutes 3x/week for better health!" crowd have PF.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambivalid View Post
I have an incline bench put up on four 45lb plate-weights underneath each end of the bench. This is done in order to lift the bench up high enough so that I can have a full range-of-motion with the dumbbell-rows. Anything less than 4 plates under each end and the dumbbells hit the floor before I get full ROM. When I'm done with the set, I necessarily must drop the weights back to the floor, since I purposely put myself up high enough that I could fully extend my arms without the dumbbells hitting the floor. But it's only like an inch or two.
How thick are 45 lb. plates...a couple inches? So, if you removed one plate, your weights would just barely touch the floor.

Or, you could have adjusted your position ever so slightly on the bench, so that they didn't touch while you perform the exercise.

Or, you could complete the exercise, then slide down the bench a tad and allow the weights to come to rest gently on the floor.

Why do I have this mental picture of you dropping the weights two inches, while looking out of the corner of your eye to see if anyone takes note?

The rule is 'no dropping weights'....not 'not dropping weights more than 4.32 inches.'
Old 05-10-2012, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Sometimes you make involuntary noises during a lift or while using a machine, if you're working to fatigue like you should.
Everyone using weights should always be working to fatigue whenever they visit any gym? If grunting is unavoidable when working to fatigue, then perhaps this is a gym that doesn't want people working to fatigue. What exactly is wrong with that?

Last edited by Acsenray; 05-10-2012 at 10:36 AM..
Old 05-10-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ducca View Post
I questioned Broomstick's truthfulness once.

ONCE.
Was it during the great high school ninja riot of 1978?
Old 05-10-2012, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

I never knew there were so many fat asses and weaklings that were not only intimidated by those of us that work out with heavy weights correctly and enthusiastically but actually work up enough hate to go to a pussy place like planet fitness to escape us. What actually bothers you people about heavy breathing or grunts? AND you're too sensitive to hear weights drop? Wow just Wow. WE are the ones that don't judge, we know everyone has to start somewhere and we welcome fat and/or skinny people to our palaces of body building.

But on reflection, a business plan that caters to people that like to pretend to work out while staying fat and actually instilling a belief that muscles are bad, is a perfect place for most americans.

I will stick to a place like the "Steel Mill" and places like it.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:24 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
Everyone using weights should always be working to fatigue whenever they visit any gym? If grunting is unavoidable when working to fatigue, then perhaps this is a gym that doesn't want people working to fatigue. What exactly is wrong with that?
Did you see the first link in post #34? What type of person do you think would fit into a gym environment where outward signs of of exertion are highly frowned upon?
Old 05-10-2012, 11:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Everyone using weights should always be working to fatigue whenever they visit any gym?
Muscle fatigue, yes, if you expect to get any benefit from it.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:29 AM

I have belonged to, or worked at over 30 gyms over the years..."please don't drop weights" is pretty standard, along with not wearing flip flops, not breaking into someone's circuit, and the plea to "wipe down the machines after each use." Grunting and moaning is as subjective as some of the stuff that goes down here--it's largely in the eye of the beholder and like someone said the other day "bad mood leads to bad modding." Maybe some members complained to the staff? Maybe someone from corporate was secret shopping? Who knows-who cares. Go somewhere that allows and supports serious weightlifters and doesn't care if you drop and grunt.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Not necessarily true and depends on your definition of benefit...
Old 05-10-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:
I think his main problem in these situations is that he's an uppity gimp and doesn't back down. It's a trait that can be both admirable and irritating as hell.
Okay, let me get this straight. Guy who is serious about weightlifting and has the body of a bodybuilder goes to gym that clearly and specifically does not cater to that clientele. Not only do they not cater to it, they actively discourage those people from joining and try to make them uncomfortable when there. After joining, this guy proceeds to break at least one rule over and over and over again, by dropping weights noisily (even if only a few inches). Not only that, guy also ignores the alarm that goes off when he does break the rule, and just keeps on doing it.

Eventually, someone comes along and tells guy that he and the gym will be parting ways because of his unacceptable behavior. He also tells this to a bunch of other people.

Seems straightforward enough to me. But no, it must be because of his disability! People just can't stand those 'uppity gimps', can they. Life is so unfair!

You know, the other day I went to the library and while I was there I had a conversation on my cellphone and then yelled at the top of my lungs for a bit. And they asked me to leave, can you believe that? It was only a short conversation, and I had to yell at my friend, who was across the room. I couldn't go over there, they don't understand! I know, I bet it was because I'm a woman! They just don't want women reading and learning things. I bet they wanted me to have sex with them too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastly Rotter View Post
Okay, I actually LOLed at that.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:31 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by living_in_hell View Post
I have belonged to, or worked at over 30 gyms over the years..."please don't drop weights" is pretty standard, along with not wearing flip flops, not breaking into someone's circuit, and the plea to "wipe down the machines after each use." Grunting and moaning is as subjective as some of the stuff that goes down here--it's largely in the eye of the beholder and like someone said the other day "bad mood leads to bad modding." Maybe some members complained to the staff? Maybe someone from corporate was secret shopping? Who knows-who cares. Go somewhere that allows and supports serious weightlifters and doesn't care if you drop and grunt.
Any opinion on the "lunk alarm" being a safety hazard?
Old 05-10-2012, 11:32 AM

I'm getting a "loud pipes" vibe from some of the posters here.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanzy View Post
I never knew there were so many fat asses and weaklings that were not only intimidated by those of us that work out with heavy weights correctly and enthusiastically but actually work up enough hate to go to a pussy place like planet fitness to escape us.
This is what I don't quite get, and why I think places like Planet Fitness intentionally exacerbate the fear that people who aren't "bodybuilders" are going to be mocked, stared at, or intimidated if they visit a regular gym. I'm not a shill for my gym, but I've been to several locations in my city and seen people of all body types, from bodybuilders to the obese, people who are elderly and (yes, even) disabled, and never once seen any gawking, laughing, or intimidation. People are there to work out, not to give a shit whether your ass looks fat in Spandex or whether you're lifting 5 pound dumbbells instead of 100 lbs. I'm sure there are "meat market" gyms out there but I've never been in one, and I think they're easily enough avoided.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Any opinion on the "lunk alarm" being a safety hazard?
I was just trying to find this great pic of Richard Simmons with "ahhhhh! Don't drop the weights! It startles and frightens me!" written on it. I love that.

I actually think that any loud sudden noise would potentially be dangerous, as evidenced by my own startle when someone drops a weight. I belonged to a Planet Fatass for a few years and never once heard it go off. I think I saw the light go on once but I can't remember for sure, but then again, in general, I practice the art of misanthropy at gyms.

It is an interesting theory though, to think that maybe that's a secondary gain of putting it there in the first place? Like, "don't scare the marshmallows" has more than one meaning? Let me think about this in terms of behavioral theory and conditioning.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Seriously, can one work out without the audible drama; the yelling, grunting, loud puffing, the motivational shouts from their peers? Before the 1990s, female tennis players used to play with very little or no loud grunting.

The gym I go to has a cross-section of every group trying to maintain or improve their physical condition; HOOOOJ bodybuilders, yoga moms aligning their chakras in everything from Lululemon to tattered sweats, beginning swimmers sharing the pool with those who seem to be raining for an English Channel crossing, old fat ladies in another pool working on group water therapy, Zumba fanatics, elderly men trying to outsteam and outschvitz each other, and ordinary people like me working on C25K. Every shape, every size, every age, every level. The balcony housing the bikes and treadmills looks out over the large machine and free weight area. If I'm running on a treadmill, right over the freeweight area, I don't hear any loud grunting, yelling, or groups of meatheads cheering each other on. Just the occasional clank, the infrequent groan that doesn't sound especially obnoxious, and the usual conversation that takes place elsewhere at the gym.

I think Ambivalid is looking for a kind of gym that just doesn't exist; a "serious" place where he can grunt and yell and drop heavy freeweights and greet his fellow serious bodybuilders with a loud "AYY YO WHASSUP BRO YOU'RE LOOKING FRIGGIN' EUUUJ TODAY YO!", yet still a place that is handicap-friendly. How about this: take advantage of the void in the marketplace, and start a gym that caters to the underserved serious disabled bodybuilder bro crowd? Minimal sound-absorbing surfaces. Minimal ventilation, too, so it's stuffy and stinky, and therefore serious. Make all the parking handicapped, and all the bathroom stalls wheelchair accessible. Maybe call it "Wheels".

Last edited by elmwood; 05-10-2012 at 11:48 AM..
Old 05-10-2012, 11:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I can't watch the Daily Show link given, as it's US viewers only. Have looked for a UK version but no luck.

With regards to the example of a 140KG snatch requiring a drop, you're quite correct. But if that's the exercises you're going for, why the hell are you training in a gym with a stated aversion to hard core weight lifters? I'd be as well complaining that all the kids at my local fun pool make it impossible to swim lengths. Horses for courses. You want to press big numbers, good on you - go find a suitable gym.
Another copy of the segment that might be viewable outside the US.

The weight of the snatch doesn't matter, it could be 20 kg or less, but being able to drop the weight is an important part of safely performing the exercise. The point is that PF's policies put a limit on the effectiveness and sometimes the safety of exercise.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billfish678 View Post
I'm getting a "loud pipes" vibe from some of the posters here.
Sorry. That was the protein powder I ate for breakfast.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmwood View Post
Maybe call it "Wheels".
"Wheelz" would be more hardcore
Old 05-10-2012, 11:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Love View Post
"Wheelz" would be more hardcore
To my eyes, it seems more X-TREEM! than hardcore. That would be a name like "Mac's Gym" or "Rocco's Gym". How can a guy with a name like named Rocco not be EUUUJ?
Old 05-10-2012, 12:01 PM

Eh, I think that if they make these policies and who they cater to that public, it's on you if you went there expecting something else. It's like a female body builder going to Curves and expecting a hard core atmosphere. Not going to happen.

I don't understand all the hate for the type of people that attend establlishments like Planet Fitness (apart from the pizza thing - that's just weird). At least they're doing something somewhat active.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmAnJ View Post
Eh, I think that if they make these policies and who they cater to that public, it's on you if you went there expecting something else. It's like a female body builder going to Curves and expecting a hard core atmosphere. Not going to happen.

I don't understand all the hate for the type of people that attend establlishments like Planet Fitness (apart from the pizza thing - that's just weird). At least they're doing something somewhat active.
I just texted the exact same thing to my friend, re Curves. Exercise is exercise, and while us gym rats can support others' desire to get fit, it doesn't mean that where those people go is a good match for us. I don't think it's any different for anyone with a passion or experience for anything: chefs don't use cheap knives, painters don't use starter paints, runners don't wear "sneakers"...doesn't mean they don't appreciate those who do, and maybe they were there once, but now they are in a different place.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:43 PM

For $10 a month I guess you get what you pay for, but just looking around the web reveals an ugly hypocritical judgemental side to this franchise, even in their ads - because anyone who wants tone abs is a jerkass, right fellas. No judgement, unless you're actually serious about your fitness? What kind of logic is that, for a gym?! According to a NY corrections officer he was booted out for breathing heavily. Kicking someone out of a gym for being out of breath? What's next, kicking someone out of a toilet because they slash in a urinal?
Quote:
Tim Gunther, a 6-foot, 200-pound firefighter in Poughkeepsie, said he and his colleagues were frequently harassed for “making noises that can’t be avoided” and compared the alarm to a nuclear war siren. “The first time I heard that thing it scared the heck out of me,” he said. “I thought there was a fire, and I’m a fireman. Without exaggeration, I’ve seen them set that thing off on people just for breathing too loud.”
Absolute insanity. This is the first I've ever heard of this franchise so I've no axe to grind, but a bit of research and I'm 100% on Ambivalid's side. See also this review which reveals more foolishness, including no scales and 80lb limit on dumbbells.

Having said that, a word in their defence, I've been a member of 3 different gyms all with different feels and they all had a 'don't bash the weights' rule; that's just common courtesy to avoid damaging equipment and causing alarm. So I can't get worked up about that. Everything else though....

At least you didn't do this though.

Last edited by Mr. Kobayashi; 05-10-2012 at 12:44 PM..
Old 05-10-2012, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I honestly don't know anything about weight training but I'm more than a little surprised to learn that you don't get any benefit from lifting weights unless you're pushing to the point of muscle fatigue every time.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
I honestly don't know anything about weight training but I'm more than a little surprised to learn that you don't get any benefit from lifting weights unless you're pushing to the point of muscle fatigue every time.
You have to fatige them to some extent. Muscle growth occurs because the muscles are damaged and have to repair themselves. Granted that does not mean that you must fatigue the muscles to failure in order to realize a benefit.

I don't remember what thread it was, but somebody not too long ago related a story about seeing a woman on the chest machine doing reps of 15 lbs., with zero effort and a bored look on her face. It seems to me the PF is catering to that type of person.

Last edited by Sicks Ate; 05-10-2012 at 12:58 PM..