The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 11-09-2012, 10:44 AM
Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space

No, because he found the sweetener on the beach and thought it was weird sand.

Or did I get that completely wrong and it was weird sand? I may not have been paying 100% attention.
Advertisements  
Old 11-09-2012, 10:48 AM

Absolutely LOVE this show. I always crash before it comes on so it's my Friday night treat I was skeptical about Lucy at first but I think she's working out great.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twickster View Post
Or did I get that completely wrong and it was weird sand? I may not have been paying 100% attention.
He said it was not frosted sand (not been weathered and eroded) and he assumed it was trucked in to counter beach erosion. He finally deduced it was pure silica (SiO2) and poured into the fuel tank to slowly clog the filter while in flight.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:58 AM

So the whole thing about the sweetener that looked just like sugar was a red herring?
Old 11-09-2012, 12:12 PM

Yep - red herring.

Anyway still enjoying this show, though I think they're playing the "Irene" card too early. Jonny Lee Miller's take on Sherlock strongly reminds me of Jeremy Brett's interpretation of the role (& I enjoyed Brett). Lucy Liu is growing on me.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:27 PM

The stuff in the tank was artificial sand, i.e. manufactured sand, not natural sand, i.e. sand that has been weathered and eroded. The sweetener connection was a red herring.

I pegged the guilty party by the time honored trick of
SPOILER:
recognizing the actor as the most well-known of the guest stars*.

But I didn't know the why or how. I was thrown by the superglue thing. I knew he looked pale and sweaty and that indicated some illness. I wasn't getting the superglue connection until Sherlock spelled it out. I was thinking the odor was related to some weird diabetic thing, and Sherlock was mistaking it for superglue.

On the one hand, Watson has a valid point, Sherlock is very closed off. He won't share with her and what little he dribbles out is stuff she's already figured out. On the other hand, her attitude is a bit put-offish. She always intrudes into his thought process with her observations, rather than saving them up for an appropriate time.
-----
*Not a real spoiler, just funnier that way.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
The stuff in the tank was artificial sand, i.e. manufactured sand, not natural sand, i.e. sand that has been weathered and eroded. The sweetener connection was a red herring.

SPOILER:
SPOILER:
See, to me the most known of the guest stars was Roger Rees, the actor that Sherlock hired. And having a reasonably well known British actor of the appropriate age cast as fake dad made it harder for me to figure out he was a fake
Old 11-09-2012, 03:32 PM

I think the advice that Sherlock's "friend" gave Watson was extremely insightful. He said something like "If you think Sherlock doesn't have friends, then perhaps you should get a new definition of friend." She doesn't think outside her preconceived ideas about former addicts. Sherlock is, however, forcing her through example to look at things differently. I think that in the end he will do more to reshape her thinking and life than she will his.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarinth View Post
SPOILER:
See, to me the most known of the guest stars was Roger Rees, the actor that Sherlock hired. And having a reasonably well known British actor of the appropriate age cast as fake dad made it harder for me to figure out he was a fake

Oops, and good catch. By the time he showed up, I had already pegged the other guy, and he was unrelated to the murder case.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:45 PM

It WAS sand put in the gas tank.

I honestly thought the guy with the model glue smell would turn out to be a diabetic in ketoacidosis, based on that glue smell and other symptoms, such as pallor, sweating, and thirst. The insulin pump and artificial sweetener seemed like they were also pointing toward a diabetes-related resolution.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:15 AM

Never mind, missed the next page of responses.

Last edited by obfusciatrist; 11-10-2012 at 08:15 AM..
Old 11-12-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
SPOILER:

*Not a real spoiler, just funnier that way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amarinth View Post
SPOILER:
I'm not going to use spoiler tags because this is total speculation. As amarinth points out, Roger Rees is a pretty well-known British actor. Almost too well-known for such a bit part... Maybe we'll find out later on that there's Mor to him than meets the eye.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:17 PM

This show continues to be frustrating. Some good parts, some dreadful parts. The previous week reminded me of how good an actress Lucy Liu is. (She's done some really dreadful stuff lately.) Not so much with this last one.

It seems that the most common scenario is that the killer is a virtual background character (hardly given any lines) only seen for a short period of time twice in the first 40 minutes or so. Nothing obvious is shown that indicates that he/she is likely. Only in the last few minutes does Sherlock make the Big Reveal. So I'm starting to rule out anyone shown only once or more than twice or where they try to overtly suggest the person might be the killer.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:59 PM

After the part about the different SAND in the fuel tank, and how the plane was supposed to go down in the water, I thought of how Kennedy was lost in his plane in the water, no evedence. Gave me a shiver, really like this show, will get through the slow parts just to follow the brain training of the thinking parts.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:55 PM
Charter Member

My wife, who has a great track record at predicting twists, noted that the name of the FAA agent was unusual: Molinari. Odd name, and similar to Moriarty. If that character returns, then my money's on a female Moriarty.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:56 PM
Charter Member

The idea that a few handfuls of the uneroded sand was freshly detectable by casual glance after being mixed into the regular sand, and further the fact that the sand looked fresh and new and frosted after being clumped up in gasoline and then exploded in a plane crash and got scattered about is pretty ridiculously implausible.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:18 PM
Charter Member

I was kind of disappointed the show wasn't above using one of those magical video cameras that allows you to zoom in and enhance the image as much as you need to. I suppose that they were a little more interested in setting up the opportunity for Watson to point out to Holmes that the guy had an insulin pump on his belt than worrying about running afoul of this trope, but it would've been nice for them to at least make an attempt to get it right.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:40 AM

Watched last night's episode. ftg's observation seems to hold true. This one, it is the son of the imprisoned killer from his alibi girlfriend who was married at the time. The son is presumed to be her son from her husband. We meet him once in passing when they go to track down the girlfriend to fill in details, and find out from the son she died.

Later, we find out he volunteers for a reading program at the prison, met the father, and taught him to read. Now apparently he is killing using the signature and framing one of the other suspects to get his father out of prison.

I remembered this trick, so when Sherlock is busy discounting the suspect they arrest, I picked the killer. Not the reason, but the identity.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:28 AM

I don't remember getting a good close-up on the kid's face, but
SPOILER:
I didn't think his eyes looked blue, I thought they were dark. If I'm right, there goes the alleged tip-off on paternity.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:14 PM

Yeah, I didn't get a close look either. I was wondering on that, because they didn't exactly look blue to me, either. I thought it moderately reasonable assumption without the blue eyes, but that gives a tangible reason for the boy to wonder about his parentage.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:26 PM

I didn't notice them particularly either, but I for one can't necessarily see eye color of someone on film unless they're in pretty tight close-up, which this guy wasn't.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twickster View Post
I didn't notice them particularly either, but I for one can't necessarily see eye color of someone on film unless they're in pretty tight close-up, which this guy wasn't.
I wouldn't have noticed on my own that there were blue, but once Sherlock pointed it out it looked to me like the kid had dark blue eyes.

The IMDB page for this episode says that the actor playing Sean Figueroa is Juan Castano. There's only two pictures of him on IMDB, and his eyes look brown to me. Maybe they had the actor wear contacts.

Last edited by Waenara; 11-16-2012 at 06:51 PM..
Old 11-17-2012, 09:10 AM

Not much of an episode. On the plus side, it had Callie Thorne (Rescue Me, The Wire, etc.). Perhaps she'll return as a not-so-good cop foil.

And there were two therapists that were happy to blab to Watson about what Sherlock said in therapy. Okaaaay.

Anyone not doubt that Sherlock was lying about Irene Adler being dead?

7 episodes in and no hint of Moriarty.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:29 PM
Fluorescent Pudding-Brain
Charter Member

Wow, no comments on last night's episode yet?

This show continues to grow on me. I wonder how they're going to resolve the "we've only got 23 more days together" thing. Is she going to decide to stay on and continue to be his sober companion, or will they just drop the whole pretense and she'll become his fellow crime solver? Maybe she'll go back to being a doctor and continue to help him solve crimes on the side.

I like Alfredo. I wonder if he'll become a recurring character.

SPOILER:

As for the mystery...it's a little unbelievable that Pradeep (sp?) was walled up for all that time and nobody noticed, and also that in four years *nobody* else dialed the wrong number and detonated the bomb (unless it was set up to only go off if the number was dialed more than once in X amount of time...I missed if they said that, but that's what the wrong-number guy did).

Good to see Lisa Edelstein again after House. Wondering how she got the expertise to build the bomb, though. They explained how she knew how to refinish walls, but not how to build time bombs.

Last edited by Infovore; 11-30-2012 at 12:30 PM.. Reason: added spoiler tags
Old 11-30-2012, 07:56 PM

I must have missed something in the beginning. Why is she leaving him after 23 days? I liked Alfredo, too, but Sherlock doesn't need two sober companions.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:43 PM
Fluorescent Pudding-Brain
Charter Member

Alfredo wouldn't be a sober companion, he'd be a sponsor. If I understand the difference correctly, a sponsor is a fellow recovering addict who's "been there" and can provide support. Watson isn't a former addict, she's a consultant hired to keep Holmes clean. And she leaves after 23 days because that's when her contract with Holmes's father expires.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:39 PM

Yes, a sponsor would be an ongoing, nonprofessional (unpaid) relationship. Watson has a paid gig that is supposed to be up in three weeks. Since she mentioned that she doesn't have another job lined up -- and since she's Watson -- I assume they'll keep her around on some pretext or other.

Definitely hoping they keep Alfredo around, I think that could be entertaining.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:19 AM

A bit of a change-up in plot this week. You knew right off that the enviro-bombing nut (Merc from Episodes!) wasn't it. When the two company folk walked into the room, I immediately ruled out Cuddy, so I was focusing on the #2 guy. Suspected a secret affair thing. So I was half right.

Was this the first time that a "major" guest character was the perp? I guess you can't have a guest star as big as Lisa Edelstein on without making her character important.

Here's the thing. I don't get drawn "into" the show. These are actors saying lines in a script. I seem to be mainly interested in the structure of the thing. What are the writers thinking about? Why are they plotting out things the way they are. I.e., the making of the show itself is the mystery I am analyzing.

It's a meta-mystery.

I miss Community.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:23 PM

Regarding this week's plot.

So - a pager. Sure, why not.
But doesn't someone have to PAY to keep that pager active, like a cell phone?
Why would someone continue to pay the phone bill for a pager that they obviously want to forget they ever put there in the first place?
So who was paying to keep this pager activated?
Old 12-01-2012, 02:23 PM

Well, also, once the bomb didn't go off, why wouldn't she just remove and dispose of it?
Old 12-01-2012, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

He mentions at some point that she engineers a move to the other office to get away from the bomb, but that doesn't really explain why she didn't get it. I guess maybe she was afraid it would go off when handled.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obfusciatrist View Post
Well, also, once the bomb didn't go off, why wouldn't she just remove and dispose of it?
a) since it was her first bomb, she just assumed she built it wrong and it would always be safe
b) removing things like this is when people usually get caught - and potentially she could have set it off.

For the pager question - yeah - why it was still active is a very good question - and I don't really buy that this was the _first_ time that number had been mis-dialed. The only possible bit there is if it was due to the battery being unstable, etc that allowed this "third redial is the charm" to set it off. (2 years between setting the bomb and the tower being close enough to hit the pager, but in the remaining 2 years - no one else mis-dialed the number? or was it a new deli?)

I liked how in this one episode - Holmes solved a 4 year old murder, the original ELM bombings and the current bombing (convenient that it was the same cuplrit, but anyway) - not your traditional mystery show at all.

Button - bomb - button - bomb - see the similiarity?

Last edited by simster; 12-01-2012 at 02:30 PM..
Old 12-01-2012, 02:36 PM
Charter Member

Alfredo is an interesting character, I hope he sticks around even if Watson stays beyond this contract.

For reasons pointed out by DMark I found that pager thing hard to believe, so I stopped caring about the story.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:27 PM

I think the point of this show may not be solving anything, It might be the relationships we create when we allow ourselves to interact with others. This is shown with the interactions of not only the main subjects of the story, but also the stories themselves. How a woman looses her husband and didn't notice in the years a change of pictures, or a wall or mold?
I also hope Alfredo stays around, to peak Sherlocks interest in different ways too. Holmes will never be a love interest. She will keep Sherlock on his toes and sometime the critic is the motivation needed for big ideas.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simster View Post
a) since it was her first bomb, she just assumed she built it wrong and it would always be safe
b) removing things like this is when people usually get caught - and potentially she could have set it off.
c) As owner of the space it would be extremely easy for her to manufacture solitude to retrieve the bomb (and discovery wouldn't have been any riskier than putting it there).

d) She still had to work several months in an office knowing there was a bomb nearby.

e) She couldn't guarantee that the unexploded bomb would not be discovered and in its unexploded state probably would have lead back to her much more easily. Probably would have only required the Law & Order guys and not the preturnatural Sherlock Holmes guy.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -getitrite View Post
I also hope Alfredo stays around, to peak Sherlocks interest in different ways too.
Sorry to be pedantic, but the post + username combo is too irresistible. The word is pique.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMark View Post

Why would someone continue to pay the phone bill for a pager that they obviously want to forget they ever put there in the first place?
I thought they said that the pager was prepaid, although I doubt she prepaid for three or more years of service. And I doubt the battery would have lasted that long.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
The idea that a few handfuls of the uneroded sand was freshly detectable by casual glance after being mixed into the regular sand, and further the fact that the sand looked fresh and new and frosted after being clumped up in gasoline and then exploded in a plane crash and got scattered about is pretty ridiculously implausible.
Welcome to the world of Sherlock Holmes, where he is, always was, and always will be so ridiculously observant as to be implausible. It's what I have always hated about the character because, especially in Conan Doyle's not-especially-talented hands, there is no way for the reader/viewer to work out the mystery because Holmes is withholding evidence for the Big Reveal. I guess the "Bravo! You are so smart!" moment is something readers like, but I always assumed Watson wanted to stab him in his sleep.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:01 AM

In the latest episode, when the new AA sponsor brings by a car at the end, what kind of car was that?
Old 12-02-2012, 09:07 AM

About triggering the bomb: The guy said he pressed redial twice more. So apparently 3 quick calls in succession was the trigger.

It was also explained in-story that the firm had moved within days of when the victim went missing. So not a lot of time to retrieve the bomb, plus the guy was dead. The bomb was now Somebody Else's Problem.

Think of all the planning that went into making this bomb, but checking to see if the pager got a signal? Why bother?
Old 12-02-2012, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShibbOleth View Post
In the latest episode, when the new AA sponsor brings by a car at the end, what kind of car was that?
I think it was a Ferrari.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infovore View Post
SPOILER:
Good to see Lisa Edelstein again after House. Wondering how she got the expertise to build the bomb, though. They explained how she knew how to refinish walls, but not how to build time bombs.
Actually, they did explain. The environmentalist guy put plans on the internet. She looked up the plans. Easy-peasy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMark View Post

I'm fairly certain you are correct. A pager number has to be paid, or it gets reassigned.

Furthermore, the battery would have gone dead long before. Even not taking any calls, it's still putting out charge to the screen for time/date, and to stay monitoring for a call.

I love how Sherlock is able to recognize a receiver and a transmitter on a circuit board. Is that plausible?

My concern for the bit with Alfredo. Isn't hiring a car theft addict to test your security systems like hiring an alcoholic to test if your cocktails are getting mixed right?
Old 12-02-2012, 10:15 PM

I'd say it is more like hiring hackers to test your network security.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
I think it was a Ferrari.
I don't think that it was. Which model of Ferrari do you think it was?
Old 12-03-2012, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShibbOleth View Post
I don't think that it was. Which model of Ferrari do you think it was?
There was a honking great prancing horse decal on the front fender. I think it may have been a 458, but it's been days now since I saw the episode.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:29 AM

I'm not a car person so I have no idea what kind of Ferrari it is, but here are a couple screenshots for those who are car people.

It does have a Ferrari logo in front of the passenger door and on the back.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8343/8...b3eeee10_o.png
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8483/8...a97e3e87_o.png

Last edited by obfusciatrist; 12-03-2012 at 08:29 AM..
Old 12-03-2012, 09:07 AM

I had to laugh when Bell said "it's a VHS tape. This is 2012, who has a VCR??" I said "me, and about a jillion other people."
Old 12-03-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obfusciatrist View Post
I'm not a car person so I have no idea what kind of Ferrari it is, but here are a couple screenshots for those who are car people.

It does have a Ferrari logo in front of the passenger door and on the back.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8343/8...b3eeee10_o.png
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8483/8...a97e3e87_o.png
Thanks, that helps. Looks like it could be a F430.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:10 AM
Charter Member

I reckon Jonny Lee Miller the actor had a real cold and they wrote it into the story.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:58 AM

Could be, but then Holmes was researching Chinese herbs because Watson's mother's tea worked.