The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-23-2012, 06:25 AM
grude grude is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Well when a man and a woman love each other very much they get a stork and......

I am the parent of a two year old, it occurs to me I have zero desire to lie or make any kind of obfuscating statements on human reproduction if he should ask. Making exceptions for simplified language and leaving the more painful or exotic acts for later I don't see a problem with being truthful.

Am I crazy here? I absolutely hated anytime my parents did that shit to me, but I am a bit odd of a personality.
Reply With Quote
Advertisements  
  #2  
Old 06-23-2012, 06:37 AM
maggenpye maggenpye is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Your kid, your choice.

This is written for very young kids. It is factual and simple.

I'm pretty sure I just answered my kid's questions in a similar way when she asked. It's never been a big deal.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-23-2012, 06:43 AM
Girl From Mars Girl From Mars is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
I'm with you. I have a 2 year old and we've already had the basic talk of where babies come from and anatomy (I also have a 5 month old which prompted the questions). I'm not proactively bringing the topic up, but every so often she asks a question which chisels away at the mystery. We do get to complicate things as both girls were IVF (so there is a whole story of what we did to get them, which differs from the norm), but we've talked about this in general terms as well.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-23-2012, 06:47 AM
kayaker kayaker is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Western Pennsylvania
Posts: 15,620
I taught my kids biology from the start. The only drawback was a complaint from another parent when my daughter corrected the misinformation the girl was spreading.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-23-2012, 08:04 AM
Novelty Bobble Novelty Bobble is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Yeah, go for it. If they are old enough to ask they are old enough to deserve an answer.

If they asked about eating or drinking or breathing we wouldn't think twice about coming up with an age-appropriate factual answer and human reproduction is just as fundamental.

We've done precisely that with our 5 and 6 year olds from that age, backed up with relevant books where necessary. Do it early enough and be open with them and they see it as no big deal. That seems a healthy outlook to me.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-23-2012, 08:15 AM
Crab Rangoon Crab Rangoon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
I agree with the responses so far - I always responded to my daughter's questions with a simplified version of the biological facts. It would be hard to lie now and go back later and explain WHY we lied about it.

And yes, Santa is totally different.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-23-2012, 08:44 AM
Novelty Bobble Novelty Bobble is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crab Rangoon View Post
And yes, Santa is totally different.
Not sure why, but I agree, it is.
Perhaps it is because we set up the Santa myth as something to enhance excitement whilst always knowing the bubble will burst and leave no lasting damage.
The same can't be said for sex education or other persistent myths.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-23-2012, 09:18 AM
heathen earthling heathen earthling is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
The simplest true answer to "Where do babies come from?" is "From inside their moms." Is that not a satisfactory answer for a two year old?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-23-2012, 09:22 AM
grude grude is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
I never thought this was an issue at all, until I saw other parents talking about it. One objection I've heard is that children will try to do it, I think that is silly.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-23-2012, 09:47 AM
Hello Again Hello Again is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by grude View Post
I never thought this was an issue at all, until I saw other parents talking about it. One objection I've heard is that children will try to do it, I think that is silly.
Interesting. Parents I know are firmly in the age-appropriate facts camp. I didn't know there WAS another camp anymore, actually.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-23-2012, 09:52 AM
Novelty Bobble Novelty Bobble is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by heathen earthling View Post
The simplest true answer to "Where do babies come from?" is "From inside their moms." Is that not a satisfactory answer for a two year old?
It might be, for my daughter age three she wanted to know how it got there which led onto eggs and sperm and daddy's part in the proceedings. Not difficult to put that into age appropriate language though it does rather confirm the existence of sex, which can be a problem for some people apparently.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-23-2012, 10:04 AM
eclectic wench eclectic wench is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
I don't see anything odd about having hated the stork-type answers. I think all kids do, no?

I got the simplified facts when I was three and my mother was pregnant again. My daughter's almost three, and she knows she grew inside my tummy and then popped out when she got big enough - but she doesn't have siblings so far, so it hasn't occurred to her to ask how she got in there. When she does, she'll get the age-appropriate version of the facts. I'm pretty sure all my friends are doing/planning the same thing.

The only bit I've had trouble with so far is the mechanics of how she got out. She was a C-section, so I have to cover both kinds of birth - most babies come out through the mama's girl bits, but she got tired and needed some help so the doctor made a hole in my tummy and helped her out through there. Somehow she's come up with the idea that he dropped a string into my tummy and she pulled herself out on the string. Telling her that's not exactly how it worked makes no difference: she's 100% certain.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-23-2012, 10:31 AM
Dendarii Dame Dendarii Dame is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2011
It's a good idea to be prepared for the following question, too: "How does food turn into poop?" My son asked me this, right before adding, "Daddy probably knows."

Last edited by Dendarii Dame; 06-23-2012 at 10:31 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-23-2012, 11:11 AM
heathen earthling heathen earthling is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novelty Bobble View Post
It might be, for my daughter age three she wanted to know how it got there which led onto eggs and sperm and daddy's part in the proceedings. Not difficult to put that into age appropriate language though it does rather confirm the existence of sex, which can be a problem for some people apparently.
Did you have to teach her about meiosis to explain the origin of eggs and sperm?

I'm kind of curious now if there was ever a standard answer for "How do the storks get the babies?"
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-23-2012, 11:20 AM
Novelty Bobble Novelty Bobble is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by heathen earthling View Post
Did you have to teach her about meiosis to explain the origin of eggs and sperm?
Thankfully no, I'd have to dredge the back of my memories to remember the mechanics of that. She has just got a science encyclopaedia that covers some rudimentary genetics so I'd better refresh my memory in readiness for that.

Quote:
I'm kind of curious now if there was ever a standard answer for "How do the storks get the babies?"
It does rather paint the storks in a sinister light doesn't it.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-23-2012, 11:50 AM
Jman Jman is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by grude View Post
I am the parent of a two year old, it occurs to me I have zero desire to lie or make any kind of obfuscating statements on human reproduction if he should ask. Making exceptions for simplified language and leaving the more painful or exotic acts for later I don't see a problem with being truthful.

Am I crazy here? I absolutely hated anytime my parents did that shit to me, but I am a bit odd of a personality.
My daughter is 4 now and we have never lied to her about reproduction. There are some things I still think she's too young to get into details with, but we don't make stuff up.

She's asked where babies come from and we've told her all along that the parents decide to make a baby (well, we haven't discussed accidental pregnancy yet, but that will come), and they do some things that she isn't quite old enough to hear about yet, and then the baby grows inside the mommy until it's ready to be born. She's been OK when we tell her she's not old enough to learn specifics yet. She knows that boys and girls have different genitals and such, but I'm not going to detail intercourse to my 4 year old girl unless she get's really involved in the why. This might come up moderately soon, as my wife and I are likely to start trying for a second kid sometime soon.

Her daycare lady just had a baby, so she got to see the whole pregnancy, and knows that it takes a while, and that the baby grows in the mom's belly and that when born comes out of the vagina. We have not gone into graphic detail or anything like that.

When she gets a little older and she asks exactly 'how' the man and woman make the baby, we'll tell her, but she's a bit young for that right now.

Last edited by Jman; 06-23-2012 at 11:54 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-23-2012, 11:56 AM
Jman Jman is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Oh, as an aside, we've had interesting conversations about all sorts of things that might disturb little kids, and she's taken it in stride, so I'm sure she'd handle a rudimentary sex talk fine, but I'm not going to bring it up unless she presses on the issue right now.

She has been interested in where her food comes from. She was very insistent on knowing how chicken nuggets are made. I told her she didn't want to know. When she continued on and on and on, I just laid it out: "well, they kill a chicken, pull off the feathers, remove its guts and bones, grind it all up and fry it." She just looked at me and asked, "Is that true?" I said yes, and she thought for a second and said 'Ok!' and continued eating her nuggets.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-23-2012, 02:12 PM
Baker Baker is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Tottering-on-the-Brink
Posts: 14,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggenpye View Post
Your kid, your choice.

This is written for very young kids. It is factual and simple.

I'm pretty sure I just answered my kid's questions in a similar way when she asked. It's never been a big deal.
I read that book, and even though I never had kids, it's the one I would have got if I did have kids old enough to ask.

I didn't learn about how a man impregnates a woman until I was in the seventh grade, and boy, was that a weird read in sex ed class.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-23-2012, 04:51 PM
DocCathode DocCathode is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
I cannot re-recommend Where Do I Come From? strongly enough. It's how mom and dad told me. My mom, who owned and operated a day care center for 15 years, kept it on a special shelf and recommended it to other parents.


I can't remember the comedian's name. But, his wife had recently had the talk with their young child and the kid was telling daddy about it on a phone call.

"So, daddy put the baby in mommy's tummy."

"That's right, son."

"Can I do that to mommy?"

At which point she put in

"No, dear. That's reserved for daddy and Harrison Ford."
__________________
Nothing is impossible if you can imagine it. That's the wonder of being a scientist!
Prof Hubert Farnsworth, Futurama
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-25-2012, 12:15 PM
Mama Zappa Mama Zappa is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 9,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocCathode View Post
...

"No, dear. That's reserved for daddy and Harrison Ford."
Good thing I wasn't drinking when I read that, or you'd owe me a new laptop .

We gave our kids the same book. Actually we heard about it years earlier, when there was a rash of friends, in the spirit of being helpful, giving copies of it as wedding gifts .
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-25-2012, 12:40 PM
Mama Zappa Mama Zappa is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 9,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Zappa View Post
Good thing I wasn't drinking when I read that, or you'd owe me a new laptop .

We gave our kids the same book. Actually we heard about it years earlier, when there was a rash of friends, in the spirit of being helpful, giving copies of it as wedding gifts .
Oh - and I don't recall our kids asking detailed questions. Dweezil glanced through the book. Moon Unit was fascinated and kept it on her bookshelf and demanded to have it read to her frequently.

Dweezil was the one who, at age 6, asked "what's an adult toystore" when we drove past a large sign for that. While I don't believe in bullshitting kids, or lying to them.... yeah, I lied like a rug. There was just too much information he lacked, and I wasn't looking forward to spending the next 2.5 hours trying to give him all that kind of background info. So, in case the question ever crops up: an adult toystore is a place that sells "toys" for grownups - things like TVs, VCRs and video games.

Moon Unit, on the other hand.... at age 4-something, she had been in the family room watching TV. She came upstairs and announced "the baby comes out of the mommy's tummy!" as she passed on the way upstairs to her bedroom. We said "yes, that's true".... then thought we might want to see what she'd had on the TV.

She was watching a C-section on a medical channel! Oddly, she never had any questions about it (and she's the sort who would ask anything!).
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-25-2012, 01:08 PM
Chronos Chronos is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 55,540
Quote:
So, in case the question ever crops up: an adult toystore is a place that sells "toys" for grownups - things like TVs, VCRs and video games.
Be careful-- The logical followup is that when the kid wants a video game, he's going to ask you to go to that store to see if they have it. I did something similar as a kid: Saw a store (with blacked-out windows and a neon sign) that advertised "popular magazines", and figured, hey, Nintendo Power is pretty popular, they probably have that.

Much safer would have been a simple, dismissive "oh, you wouldn't be interested in any of that", and if that wasn't enough, then "I'll explain when you're older".
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-25-2012, 02:25 PM
Mama Zappa Mama Zappa is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 9,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Be careful-- The logical followup is that when the kid wants a video game, he's going to ask you to go to that store to see if they have it. I did something similar as a kid: Saw a store (with blacked-out windows and a neon sign) that advertised "popular magazines", and figured, hey, Nintendo Power is pretty popular, they probably have that.

Much safer would have been a simple, dismissive "oh, you wouldn't be interested in any of that", and if that wasn't enough, then "I'll explain when you're older".
Good point! Fortunately in our case, this was in a town 130 miles from home, where he'd never be out on his own anyway, and there are no such stores on any routes we traveled near home.... but I could see that backfiring.

I suppose we could have tried saying it was "boring grownup stuff" or some such.

I do know that, about 6 years later, when we were driving up US 15 north of Harrisburg - and it seemed there were Gentlemen's Clubs and Adult Toy Stores every other block (what's with THAT???), he didn't ask.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-25-2012, 02:54 PM
shiftless shiftless is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 4,059
I had the "talk" a number of time with my kids at different ages, not always successfully There is nothing wrong with open and honest but very young kids do not have the background to really understand about babies and sex. At 2 they get "babies come out of mommy" but I think they imagine something like Alien, or maybe like openning a Christmas present. At 10 my son could understand the mechanics of sex (insert tab P into slot V - sperm and eggs mix - baby grows in mom) but he was completely baffled by the idea of WHY someone would want to do something like that - ewww. I had to remind myself that young kids don't have a sex drive, so the whole falling in love and making babies thing was being viewed through the lens of their own experience with love and friendship.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-25-2012, 03:18 PM
perfectparanoia perfectparanoia is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,138
I have started to deal with this with my daughter. She knows what all her parts are and what they do. She knows that older girls bleed once a month and that mommy (or her teacher) will help her with it (I have talked to the teacher, too). She knows that adults have sex but not really what it is. She knows that masturbation isn't bad or wrong but should be kept private. She knows she will get boobs (and distinctly does not want them). She's 8.

All this has really come up by her asking questions and me giving just as much as she wanted to/was ready to know.

For example, at the grocery store I was buying tampons. The conversation went:

Her: What are those?
Me: Tampons. They are for older girls.
Her: What do you use them for?
Me: Well, once a month I bleed and I use this to make sure I don't make a mess.
Her: From your vagina?
Me: Yes.
Her: That's gross!
Me: A little but it happens to every girl and you get used to it.
Her: Not to boys, though, right? They don't have a vagina.
Me: No, they don't get it.
Her: That's not fair!
Me: True. But I like being a girl and it's worth it.
Her: Me, too. I don't think I will like it though. Can we get cookies?
Me: No. We don't need cookies. You want to get fruit for a treat instead.
Her: Pineapple?
Me: Sure.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 06-25-2012, 03:41 PM
Musicat Musicat is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Sturgeon Bay, WI USA
Posts: 17,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclectic wench View Post
My daughter's almost three, and she knows she grew inside my tummy and then popped out when she got big enough...
If she thinks something grows inside a tummy, then pops out, she might not want to eat sardines or caviar, although neither is common kid food. Nevertheless, maybe it's time to differentiate between a stomach and a uterus. Not everything in your belly is a tummy.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 06-26-2012, 11:37 AM
eclectic wench eclectic wench is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
We use 'tummy' for 'belly', as in the whole general area, and 'stomach' for 'stomach', as in where your food goes when you eat it, so the distinction's already there. Further differentiation and anatomical specification will get done along the way when she seems remotely interested in it.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 06-26-2012, 12:14 PM
Anne Neville Anne Neville is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
What, I have to get the stork? I thought it just showed up! Dammit, one more thing to deal with before the baby comes...

Where does one get a stork, anyway? Do you have to buy one, or can they be rented?
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 06-26-2012, 12:20 PM
RTFirefly RTFirefly is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Maryland
Posts: 27,450
Somehow the Firebug, who turns 5 next month, hasn't yet asked about where babies come from. I was thinking about that bit of good fortune the other day, along with the reality that I should start thinking about what I'll say when my luck runs out.

I think I'll order "Where Do I Come From?" today. I'm thinking that my wife and I get to read it first, then whichever of us gets the question first can read it together with him and answer the additional questions he's sure to have.

Instead of sex questions, we get questions about death and God and heaven. Which isn't surprising when you consider that, just during the time he was 3 years old, his Grandpa Ed died, the woman who lived across the street died, a close family friend died, two more distant relatives died, and one dog who lived next door and another that lived across the street, both of whom he saw a lot of, died. (Hell, it made me think about death a lot more than I usually do; I wasn't exactly surprised that he brought up the topic a lot.)

And perfectparanoia, it's a shame that your daughter can't send her boobs to my son whenever they show up. The little cross-dresser would love to have a pair of knockers.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 06-26-2012, 01:34 PM
overlyverbose overlyverbose is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
I've just been answering my son and daughter's questions in varying levels of complexity since they started asking. My son, who's six, got into a lengthy discussion with me on how babies live inside the tummy and how they come out. He then commented that he felt that babies started as eggs. I said that was true, then went into a very simple explanation on the mechanics as to how those eggs grew into a baby.

My daughter, who is two and a half, has been simply pointing out her and her brother's genitalia since she was 14 months or so but hasn't yet started asking the hows and the whys. I'm sure that'll come soon.

That said, I think I might order this book, too. It's probably a lot more succinct than I am (see my username).

As an aside: it drives me crazy when parents use words like "pee-pee" for penis and "tee-tee" for vagina. I'm sure the kids pronounce shit that way simply because their developing language skills, but adults should pronounce adult words the way they're supposed to be pronounced, dammit. Hearing baby words for genitalia coming out of an adult mouth makes me cringe.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 06-26-2012, 02:24 PM
chappachula chappachula is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectparanoia View Post
The conversation went:

Her: What are those?
Me: Tampons. They are for older girls.
Her: What do you use them for?
Me: Well, once a month I bleed and I use this to make sure I don't make a mess.
Her: From your vagina?
Me: Yes.
Her: That's gross!
Me: A little but it happens to every girl and you get used to it.
Her: Not to boys, though, right? They don't have a vagina.
Me: No, they don't get it.
Her: That's not fair!
Me: True. But I like being a girl and it's worth it.
Her: Me, too. I don't think I will like it though. Can we get cookies?
Me: No. We don't need cookies. You want to get fruit for a treat instead.
Her: Pineapple?
Me: Sure.
what a wonderful opportunity to post a funny link to a mother having "The Talk" with her 8 yr old girl
http://www.ted.com/talks/julia_sween..._the_talk.html
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 06-27-2012, 09:11 AM
Omar Little Omar Little is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Anyone that feels the need to tell their 2 year old more information than "you came out of mommy's tummy" needs to think about their parenting skills. There's no need to go all scientific on a toddler, that's not going to understand or remember what you tell them.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 06-27-2012, 09:49 AM
dngnb8 dngnb8 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by grude View Post
I am the parent of a two year old, it occurs to me I have zero desire to lie or make any kind of obfuscating statements on human reproduction if he should ask. Making exceptions for simplified language and leaving the more painful or exotic acts for later I don't see a problem with being truthful.

Am I crazy here? I absolutely hated anytime my parents did that shit to me, but I am a bit odd of a personality.
We told the truth. When DD15 was young, we just didnt go into detail. Basically said something like

mom and dad have sex and sometimes, that can make a baby.

When she asked about sex, we told her she wouldnt understand and that she was too young for the details.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 06-27-2012, 04:23 PM
maggenpye maggenpye is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Little View Post
Anyone that feels the need to tell their 2 year old more information than "you came out of mommy's tummy" needs to think about their parenting skills. There's no need to go all scientific on a toddler, that's not going to understand or remember what you tell them.
Thank you for your knee-jerk judgement, it has been noted and ignored. Carry on.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 06-27-2012, 08:20 PM
Omar Little Omar Little is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggenpye View Post
and ignored.

You gotta funny way of ignoring posts.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 06-27-2012, 11:15 PM
maggenpye maggenpye is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
You got a funny way of reading them.

No-one is suggesting the op do what you said. Age appropriate responses when asked =/= a complete factual lecture at age two.

Since your comprehension and summation of the posts in this thread are so inaccurate, your opinion of our parenting skills can safely be ignored.

If you're happy for your kids to be ignorant, that's your choice.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 06-28-2012, 07:14 AM
MrDibble MrDibble is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Cape Town, South Africa &
Posts: 15,052
My now-7 y.o. has been seeing animals doing the nasty since she was 2 or so (Thanks so much, David Attenborough!) and we've never shied away from any facts about reproduction or menstruation (which was couched as "Mommy's body shedding the lining of the nest if it hasn't been used this month").

The hardest one was explaining why Mommy suddenly wasn't pregnant any more, last year.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 06-28-2012, 07:39 AM
WhyNot WhyNot is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sweet Home Chicago
Posts: 30,769
My favorite true, not entirely disgusting and age appropriate response to "But how does the Daddy get the sperm inside the Mommy?" (which generally doesn't come up until more like 6 or 7) is: "They hug and cuddle and get very very close until his penis goes into her vagina and the sperm comes out inside her."

I mean, it's a little "ew" and no doubt some kids think he's urinating, but there's only so many ways to explain what is, if you're an alien learning about human behavior, a very strange activity.

MrDibble, I'm so sorry. My best attempt would have been, "Sometimes babies die inside their mommies. Mommy and Daddy are pretty sad about it, so if you see us crying, it's okay. We're just sad the baby died. You can be sad if you want, and we can be sad together. But it's also okay if you're not sad. We'll feel better soon, but we'll never forget the baby that died. Would you like to make Mommy a card and give her a big hug and tell her you love her?"
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 06-28-2012, 05:03 PM
Kimballkid Kimballkid is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Neville View Post
Where does one get a stork, anyway? Do you have to buy one, or can they be rented?
Depends on how many babies you plan to have, buying may be the better option as you may incur substantial penalties for going over the limits. Check your rental agreement.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 06-28-2012, 06:33 PM
BigT BigT is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggenpye View Post
You got a funny way of reading them.

No-one is suggesting the op do what you said. Age appropriate responses when asked =/= a complete factual lecture at age two.

Since your comprehension and summation of the posts in this thread are so inaccurate, your opinion of our parenting skills can safely be ignored.

If you're happy for your kids to be ignorant, that's your choice.
Yes, and thus he didn't attack anyone in the thread.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 06-28-2012, 07:27 PM
maggenpye maggenpye is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Yes, and thus he didn't attack anyone in the thread.
So then ... his judgement can be ignored?

Thanks for the affirmation.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 06-29-2012, 09:10 AM
MrDibble MrDibble is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Cape Town, South Africa &
Posts: 15,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyNot View Post
MrDibble, I'm so sorry. My best attempt would have been, "Sometimes babies die inside their mommies. Mommy and Daddy are pretty sad about it, so if you see us crying, it's okay. We're just sad the baby died. You can be sad if you want, and we can be sad together. But it's also okay if you're not sad. We'll feel better soon, but we'll never forget the baby that died. Would you like to make Mommy a card and give her a big hug and tell her you love her?"
That's about what we did - we also added that it was probably because the baby was too sick right from conception ("didn't get put together right in Mommy's womb" may have been how we put it, I'm afraid - we weren't necessarily thinking clearly), which was possibly a mistake, given how concerned she was about our next pregnancy (who is now a bouncing 7 week-old!)
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 06-29-2012, 10:40 AM
C K Dexter Haven C K Dexter Haven is offline
Right Hand of the Master
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Chicago north suburb
Posts: 16,081
I think it is important to find out exactly WHAT the child is asking, and then to answer that truthfully... but not to provide additional information until the child asks or is ready. A child facing the birth of a sibling, "The baby comes from Mommy's tummy" may be sufficient. A lecture about birth control almost certainly isn't. One needs to be focused on the child's needs and desires to understand, rather than on the parent's needs to be fully honest. (I'm not saying to be dishonest, I'm saying that FULL information isn't necessarily called for.)

Our son around age 3 actually did (unknowingly) re-enact the old joke: he asked "Where did I come from?" and we asked what he meant, and he said that his friend at pre-school came from New York, where did he come from? So, be sure of what the child is asking.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 06-29-2012, 03:58 PM
perfectparanoia perfectparanoia is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by C K Dexter Haven View Post
Our son around age 3 actually did (unknowingly) re-enact the old joke: he asked "Where did I come from?" and we asked what he meant, and he said that his friend at pre-school came from New York, where did he come from? So, be sure of what the child is asking.
I had a similar one. My daughter asked, 'how did God make me?' and she wasn't asking about sex, she was asking from a spiritual context (not that knowing that made it any easier to answer).

(Aside: yes, we believe in God. Yes, our kids believe in God. They also believe that being gay is okay and normal and that all people should be treated equally regardless of their colour, beliefs or sex. Please leave out the anti-christian dumping.)
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 06-29-2012, 04:20 PM
kayaker kayaker is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Western Pennsylvania
Posts: 15,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectparanoia View Post
I had a similar one. My daughter asked, 'how did God make me?' and she wasn't asking about sex, she was asking from a spiritual context (not that knowing that made it any easier to answer).

(Aside: yes, we believe in God. Yes, our kids believe in God. They also believe that being gay is okay and normal and that all people should be treated equally regardless of their colour, beliefs or sex. Please leave out the anti-christian dumping.)
Very cute story. Endearing, even. Unnecessary (I think?) aside.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 06-29-2012, 04:27 PM
DocCathode DocCathode is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectparanoia View Post
I had a similar one. My daughter asked, 'how did God make me?'
I would have to restrain myself from saying something like 'Apparently quickly and with little attention to detail. You look funny and leak a lot.'

Note that I would never actually say something like that to a child. But, the urge to say it would be strong.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 07-02-2012, 04:31 AM
MrDibble MrDibble is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Cape Town, South Africa &
Posts: 15,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocCathode View Post
Note that I would never actually say something like that to a child.
I would. And she's laugh, too.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 07-02-2012, 04:46 PM
BigT BigT is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggenpye View Post
So then ... his judgement can be ignored?

Thanks for the affirmation.
Other than our differing definitions of ignore, sure.

Anyways, I came back to ask how many other people were laughing at the woman in the TED talks, rather than her kid, because she created all her own problems?
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 07-02-2012, 07:02 PM
iftheresaway iftheresaway is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocCathode View Post
I would have to restrain myself from saying something like 'Apparently quickly and with little attention to detail. You look funny and leak a lot.'

Note that I would never actually say something like that to a child. But, the urge to say it would be strong.
My dad would definitely have said something like that (and did say similar things all the time)! We thought it was hilarious - although somehow I always thought it was a bit funnier when he said it to my brother than to me.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 07-02-2012, 09:16 PM
rhysf rhysf is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2009
I once tried to correct some misinformation on the subject my six year-old picked up from his friends. I thought I'd done a good job but the message he got was that if he wants to make babies he needs to take his penis to China.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright 2013 Sun-Times Media, LLC.