The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 06-25-2012, 08:08 AM

"New tires on the rear" law

Hi,
I've noticed more and more that when I order tires on XXXrack.com and have them shipped to a local service center that there is someone telling me it's been put into law that they are required, when it is two new tires to mount them on the back of the vehicle.

I'm not here to get people's opinion of whether or not I should do this, I'm troubled that I do not have the option more and more. Some service centers still do as I ask while others state that by law they are not allowed to heed my wishes.

It has led to such frustration that I have even contacted the chief of Highway Patrol for SC who gave me the website to go to and referred me to the proper section to look as he was not aware of any such law. I searched and searched but found nothing. I then googled some more. The closest I could find was a tire conference which stated the tire industry had adopted a rule as indicated above.

Still none of this helps me get my tires put on where I am paying these people to put them. Any Suggestions as to leads of the the law I'm looking for or other legal feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Likewise save your breath/typing if you feel obligated to quote me the science and physics of tire arrangements.

I am merely interested to see a law that states what comes out of these people's mouth. Thanks in advance.
Advertisements  
Old 06-25-2012, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

There are 50 different states with 50 different laws, care to throw us a bone here?
Also you might want to move this to the pit, as the new tires in the front crowd don't give a damn about cites (which there are many) that say new in the rear is bullshit.
FTR I have been around cars and tires for 40+ years and new in the rear has been the recommendation for as long as I have been in the business.
Remember this motto to live by: Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather one should aim to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, glass of Scotch in the other, your body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO! Man, what a ride!"
Old 06-25-2012, 08:40 AM

If you read my post more closely you'll see that it was stated that I contacted the chief of Highway Patrol for SC (South Carolina) .

I don't mind recommendations, I actually keep an open mind to them, it's when I pay someone money to tell me they won't do it the way I've done it for years that bothers me.

BTW, it's not a "roast post" I'm just looking for a state law to back up what I'm being told.

Last edited by Thinktank; 06-25-2012 at 08:41 AM..
Old 06-25-2012, 08:44 AM

Having driven well over a million miles in my life, I have always put the best tires on the front.

If you lose the rear it is your fault as you were driving faster than road conditions permit.

In an emergency, I would rather have the best rubber on the front so that I have maximum braking and proper steering if I have to change direction urgently.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:49 AM

Thank you Zep, but it's not what I'm looking for. If I don't speak up this post is going to become the next "tire arrangement preference post" it's not what I'm after.

"Do South Carolina shops, or an-y for that matter (maybe another state?) have legal right to restrict a customer's wishes to how their tires are mounted onto their vehicle"?

Last edited by Thinktank; 06-25-2012 at 08:50 AM..
Old 06-25-2012, 08:54 AM

The follow-on question is whether that is a law (assuming there is one) for shops or a law for everyone? Can you change the wheels / tires around when you get home?
Old 06-25-2012, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

Law or not, I would think the best place for new tires might be determined by which pair are the driving wheels, also the weight distribution. Not all cars are the same.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:58 AM

I doubt there's any laws that say specifically that, but then there really aren't that many laws that go into the nitty-gritty of auto maintenance. What's more likely is that there's generic laws that say you have to safely maintain your vehicle, and now that pretty much the entire industry has explicitly come out in the "best tires go on the back" camp, it's no longer conscionable for a shop to put them on the front no matter how much the customer begs.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:04 AM

the question is limited to the shops and whether I can put them on where I want later is not the point, I'm paying these people to put the tires on where I want them.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

My 2: In over 25 years of bying my own tires, I have never, ever encountered what you're saying.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

"Your tire installation includes free rotations?" .... "OK, when you're done mounting them on the rear, please rotate the tires, front to back.".
Old 06-25-2012, 09:43 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

This site claims that most tire manufacturers recommend that new tires be put on the rear, but no actual laws are mentioned-just court cases where the placement of the tires was a factor.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:54 AM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

It sounds very similar to the apocryphal case of a confused average person standing in a shop while a bunch of smirking mechanics say "nope, sorry little lady, I know you just came in for brakes but the law says I can't legally let you drive out of here on those tires. You have to buy 4 new ones from us before we'll take your car off the rack...and you need some new muffler bearings too; don't want to break any noise ordinances either! Heh heh..."

The "new tires on rear" would be a stupid law anyhow, as there are several cars which have unique tires on each corner. Fierra's Corvette has unidirectional tires which are differently-sized on the front and rear - four completely different and definitely non-interchangeable tires.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:59 AM

Does it make a difference whether the car is front-wheel or rear-wheel drive?
Old 06-25-2012, 10:06 AM

I live in Colorado and was told the same thing. Also cost me extra to have them all rotated. I tried to find the law and couldn't. Thought about posting it on the Dope, but didn't.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Arky View Post
Does it make a difference whether the car is front-wheel or rear-wheel drive?
Nope. It goes to the physics of how a car skids.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:09 AM

That's bizarre. My Tiburon is FWD and I'm notoriously bad about rotating tires. So I often wear the fronts down first and have to replace those. Then, when the backs start to go, I rotate the fronts and put the 2 new tires back on the front. They're my drive and steering, much less is happening in the back. Never had a tire shop question this. Had the car in both FL and MD.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
This site claims that most tire manufacturers recommend that new tires be put on the rear, but no actual laws are mentioned-just court cases where the placement of the tires was a factor.
Aha, so more likely it is not law but their lawyers (if they are a decent sized chain of stores) that demand the tires go on the back.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:11 AM

This falls into the "you can't prove a negative" realm. The research required to comb through all possible applicable laws for a given state, so as to provide incontrovertible evidence that there is no such law, is formidable. The burden of proof is on the claimant to cite the law in question.

Of course they won't be able to cite the law, because in all likelihood the law doesn't exist. I'd be extremely shocked if any state has such a law. I'm sure what we have here is a case of misunderstanding, or maybe even inventing a lie so as to minimize argument, that has been told to gullible service personnel who repeat it as truth. It's corporate policy (or shop policy) derived from manufacturers' recommendations and/or company lawyers' recommendations then dressed up as purported law so as to intimidate customers into accepting it.

Since you have done reasonable research into the question, my suggestion is to tell the next idiot who claims this that he is mistaken and that the state Highway Patrol has told you there is no such law. Of course, if he can produce this phantom law, you will stand corrected, but until then you stand by what the HP told you. Chances are, though, that the shop won't back down and you'll have to go somewhere willing to accomodate you.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:15 AM

FWIW, here's an article on why it's a good idea to have new tires on the rear.

Also, vendors are often notoriously bad about following the law. For years banks told me that I couldn't legally use the name "Stu" on my checks as it wasn't my legal name, even though no one has called me anything else for 25 years. I was finally able to get it past.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinktank View Post
"Do South Carolina shops, or an-y for that matter (maybe another state?) have legal right to restrict a customer's wishes to how their tires are mounted onto their vehicle"?
It seems reasonably clear that there is no law requiring the shop to put the tires on the rear, but it also seems clear that there is no law which dictates that the customer is always right. If the shop believes that putting your new tires on the front is an unsafe thing to do, I can't imagine why the shop would be under a legal obligation to sell you the tires and take your direction on what to do with them, just as you are under no legal obligation to allow them to install the tires on the rear.

I should say that you would be better off finding another shop that will do what you want them to, rather than trying to compel a shop to do something that they clearly do not think is a good idea.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:21 AM

I live overseas, so not a US state. Vehicles cannot officially* pass vehicle inspection with mix-and-match tyres. Have to have all four the same per the Traffic Law. But there is no mention of having newer tyres in particular positions on the vehicle.

* Wink, wink. Nudge Nudge.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

It's also possible that the shop does it as the result of dictates by the insurance company.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Snake-Hips Tucker
It's also possible that the shop does it as the result of dictates by the insurance company.
And the "It's the law." part comes about because it's often the easiest way to get someone to stop arguing about it. Whether the person saying that knows it's not really the law, or has no idea, but that's what he was told, is up for grabs.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

Here is the problem for the shop.
They are professionals. In court they are held to a higher standard than joe customer.
So picture this:
You buy tires, shop recommends putting them on the rear. You insist on the front. Shop agrees and mounts them on the front.
A week later while going around a corner you get a blow out on one of the old rear tires, car spins and wraps itself around the a big tree. You are killed.
Your heirs sue the tire store. (along with the tire company)
The attorney asks why the tire store mounted the new tires in the front when the industry standard is and has been new in the rear?
Tire store says that what the customer wanted.
Attorney points out that the tire store is the professional, and the late customer was an idiot.
The tire store will have no defense against this and will at this point probably lose the suit.
I can totally understand why a shop might not want to mount the new tires on the front.
Remember this motto to live by: Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather one should aim to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, glass of Scotch in the other, your body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO! Man, what a ride!"
Old 06-25-2012, 12:11 PM

The reason I always used to keep my worst tires on the back was so I would keep control if I had a blowout (and I used to drive on some pretty bad tires). A blowout on the front of a car with no power steering is a lot harder to steer with than one on the back. Blowouts on the back, in my experience, don't cause the car to immediately steer hard towards the side with the flat like a blowout on the front does.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:30 PM
Charter Member

Two problems with you theory
First is the fact that a rear blowout is more likely to cause a spin and and secondly 99%+ of the drivers out there can't drive out of a spin.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:18 PM

But I've had blowouts on the back and on the front, and the ones on the front had a much greater effect on steering difficulty than the rear ones. Really, the rear blowouts didn't cause any steering troubles at all- they just seemed to slow the car down. Front blowouts caused an immediate veering towards the side with the flat that I had to steer hard against to maintain control. Granted, these cases were going straight, and I agree that a car will tailslide easier on slick roads if the rears are bald. I don't believe for a second that rear blowouts on a car going straight are more dangerous than front blowouts on a car going straight.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:03 PM
Charter Member

The problem is you cannot predict if the blowout will occur on a straight piece of road or a curve. I do know which way Mr. Murphy will vote.
Look all the people that are in the business (Tire Rack, Michelin etc) all say new on the rear. No one has provided a cite for new on the front. Despite this lack of cites to support their position of ignorance the NIF people stick their fingers in their ears and go La-La-La I can't hear you, my post is my cite.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:11 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
The problem is you cannot predict if the blowout will occur on a straight piece of road or a curve. I do know which way Mr. Murphy will vote.
Look all the people that are in the business (Tire Rack, Michelin etc) all say new on the rear. No one has provided a cite for new on the front. Despite this lack of cites to support their position of ignorance the NIF people stick their fingers in their ears and go La-La-La I can't hear you, my post is my cite.
Which means absolutely nothing it the OP is looking for a cite involving the law.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:33 PM
Charter Member

Except for that whole fighting ignorance, not perpetuating it thing.

BTW getting back to the OP calling the highway patrol might NOT give a definitive answer about tire mounting.
In my state
::: wanders over to bookshelf to get current copy of laws and regulations for auto repair dealers:::
In addition to the Vehicle Code auto repair dealers are governed by the following:
Business and Professions Code
Civil Code
Family Code
Government Code
Health and Safety Code
Penal Code
Public Resources Code
Revenue and Taxation Code
And if that isn't enough
California Code of Regulations
I doubt if any CHP officer in the state knows all of these regulations.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
I'm paying these people to put the tires on where I want them.
They're not required to do business with you. You're asking them to do work they feel is unsafe, they can tell you to let them do it the right way, or go home with your tires. You're not paying them much to mount 2 tires. They're going to violate the manufacturer/retailer's recommendation, and put their customer at risk over a minor job?
Old 06-25-2012, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by california jobcase View Post
The reason I always used to keep my worst tires on the back was so I would keep control if I had a blowout (and I used to drive on some pretty bad tires).
The cites I just read, tirerack, firestone, etc. are more concerned with hydroplaning than blowouts.

Quote:
The ability to sense and control predictable understeer with the new tires on the rear and the helplessness in trying to control the surprising oversteer with the new tires on the front was emphatically proven.
From Tirerack
Old 06-25-2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Unless I completely misunderstood the original post, this is a completely different question. It sounded to me like you were first asking the question
"Do South Carolina shops, or an-y for that matter (maybe another state?) have legal obligation to restrict a customer's wishes to how their tires are mounted onto their vehicle?"
Now you are asking:
"Do South Carolina shops, or an-y for that matter (maybe another state?) have legal right to restrict a customer's wishes to how their tires are mounted onto their vehicle?"

There is a difference between a law that requires a tire shop to put the tires only on the rear and a law that says a tire shop must do whatever the customer requests. I would sincerely doubt that if I wanted to open "Bob's Rear Tire Mounting Shop" and a customer came in and demanded to have tires mounted on the front that any state would force me to do business with this customer.

And even if there is no law in South Carolina that says "Mounting new tires on the front wheels is a Class B felony punishable by a $100,000 fine," if courts have been consistently awarding $100,000 judgements against tire shops in civil suits after they mounted tires on the front, to a non-legally trained tire shop owner that has the same effect as the law saying "Thou shalt not mount tires on the front wheels."

Last edited by Alley Dweller; 06-25-2012 at 04:14 PM..
Old 06-25-2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley Dweller View Post
Unless I completely misunderstood the original post, this is a completely different question. It sounded to me like you were first asking the question
"Do South Carolina shops, or an-y for that matter (maybe another state?) have legal obligation to restrict a customer's wishes to how their tires are mounted onto their vehicle?"
I think you misunderstood the OP.

Quote:
Now you are asking:
"Do South Carolina shops, or an-y for that matter (maybe another state?) have legal right to restrict a customer's wishes to how their tires are mounted onto their vehicle?"
This is what I understood the OP to be asking all along. I will note, however, that "restrict" (from the OP) is a poor word choice (how do you restrict wishes?). I'm pretty sure he means "disregard."

Quote:
There is a difference between a law that requires a tire shop to put the tires only on the rear...
This is precisely what he's asking about.

Quote:
...and a law that says a tire shop must do whatever the customer requests.
Which, while it would alleviate the OP's frustration, is not the question at hand. He's looking to see if tire shop personnel who specifically state that installation on the rear is mandated by law are correct in that assertion.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:35 PM
Charter Member

Of course the shop can refuse to put them where the customer wants, just like I often refuse to plug a tire (not safe, no longer an industry accepted practice), or to repair a puncture that in my estimation would result in an unsafe repair.
I also know of tire shops that refuse to do any repair on any tire over 5-6 years old regardless of the amount of tread left. This is do to the issue of old tires failing at a much higher rate than newer tires.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak View Post
They're not required to do business with you. You're asking them to do work they feel is unsafe, they can tell you to let them do it the right way, or go home with your tires.
And I would respect that if they told me that they felt unwilling to do the work and to "go home with my tires" if I felt differently. But the fact is they didn't, they invented a law that they have no reference to and lied to my face, they even raised their voice so that it made me look more the ass for questioning them about their law in the already quiet waiting area.

So maybe you want to know how they lied to me, they cited another reputable tire place in the area as one of the "other guys" that is following the same policy, but I was talking to them @ 5:30PM this other place had already closed for the weekend, however when I called them this morning and inquired about a law they only stated that there was no law and that they always suggest putting the new tires on the rear, but would never force me to do so...

Last edited by Thinktank; 06-25-2012 at 08:10 PM..
Old 06-25-2012, 09:02 PM

Quote:
So maybe you want to know how they lied to me, they cited another reputable tire place in the area as one of the "other guys" that is following the same policy, but I was talking to them @ 5:30PM this other place had already closed for the weekend, however when I called them this morning and inquired about a law they only stated that there was no law and that they always suggest putting the new tires on the rear, but would never force me to do so...
Well, now you know whom to do business with, and who's a lying sack of shit.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:18 AM

I took this question to one of our Counties largest tire supply and fitment centres. They smiled when they said that the industry dictates that they should fit the best tires on the rear, but unless instructed by the customer otherwise, they always fit the best tires to the front.

I have had high speed blowouts on both the front and the rear of cars I have been driving and never once has it made the car swerve, only slow down.

The "rear fitters" are basically catering for the idiot drivers who drive faster than road conditions permit. In my book these idiots should not be on the road in the first place.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:34 AM

Quote:
I am merely interested to see a law that states what comes out of these people's mouth. Thanks in advance.
I've met more than one officious tire seller with some kind of a boner for putting new tires on the back, but it can't possibly be a law. This would result in the tire wear becoming even more uneven, and that's even more hazardous the next time you rotate the tires.

If anything, there should be a law saying that if the older 2 tires have enough tread to stop effectively in wet weather, then the newer 2 tires must be mounted on the front. If the older 2 tires don't have enough tread, then it should be illegal to remount them at all. THAT makes sense.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary T View Post
Well, now you know whom to do business with, and who's a lying sack of shit.
Agreed. While they're not obliged to service anyone's car, there's no need to abuse your customer if you don't agree with the service they want.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Of course the shop can refuse to put them where the customer wants, just like I often refuse to plug a tire (not safe, no longer an industry accepted practice), or to repair a puncture that in my estimation would result in an unsafe repair.
Plug a tire in or near the sidewall (which I've previously heard is unsafe), or plug a tire anywhere in the tread area? Is this relatively new? [/hijack]
Old 06-26-2012, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenBeam View Post
Plug a tire in or near the sidewall (which I've previously heard is unsafe), or plug a tire anywhere in the tread area? Is this relatively new? [/hijack]
Plugging it anywere. I first asked about this eight years ago, but that was after several years of having the inside patches. So, it's within the past 10-20 years in my area that all the garages have moved away from plugs.

Last edited by Earl Snake-Hips Tucker; 06-26-2012 at 11:41 AM..
Old 06-26-2012, 08:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenBeam View Post
Anywhere.
The problem with a plug is the guy doing the plug cannot see what damage has been done to the inside of the tire.
The correct industry practice is to dismount the tire and inspect and if everything looks OK install a plug/patch from the inside. A plug/patch is a patch with a hard on. It has a plug attached. The patch seals the hole and the plug portion prevents water intrusion into the wound channel which might cause corrosion and a failure at a later date.
This is the only way we will repair a tire at my store.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:12 AM

Well when I worked on cars, I always, and the customer normally requested, the new tires go on the front, rear or front wheel drive not withstanding. However, tire manufacturers do suggest the best tires go on the rear, and as someone pointed out, it's nothing to do with blowouts, it has to do with braking. It's the same reason why it's suggested to put snow tires on all 4 wheels, ABS aside. It's also the same reason why you should chain all 4 wheels as well.

Now I know, understand, and believe the rational.

Yet, on the other hand I know that under normal conditions, ie I'm not trying to floor the brakes going downhill on an icy mountain road, that it's better that the best tires are on the front.

I need 2...not 4 but TWO new tires, and I want them on the front. The worn tires are on the rear. I'd like them to put the new ones on the front, if they want to charge me a modest fee because they need to take off 10 additional lug nuts to do it, thats fine. If not I'll just move them myself.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Well, it sure seems like getting the new tires on the front would be the better option. But I don't know shit about cars. The tire place I usually go to does it as standard practice. Maybe I should be going somewhere else?
Old 06-27-2012, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shosy View Post
Yet, on the other hand I know that under normal conditions, ie I'm not trying to floor the brakes going downhill on an icy mountain road, that it's better that the best tires are on the front.
Based on what?

The people who make and sell tires test their tires constantly and they ALL recommend putting them on the rear. All for the same reason. If you lose traction, you're most likely going to lose it on your worn tires, not the new tires. If you lose traction in the front, you're more likely to keep control of the car than if you lose traction in the rear.

Why? Because, if you lose traction in the front and slow down, you stay in line and stop. If you lose traction in the back and slow down, the back wants to swing around and become the front, now you're going sideways, and you have no control over anything.

Put new tires on the front, you're going to feel better traction, so you drive more aggressively, and put yourself at risk of the bad rear tires letting loose. The same thing happens with SUVs in the snow, the owners feel their 4WD, think they have tons of traction, and don't realize that 4WD doesn't help them turn or stop as well as they think, so they wind up in a ditch.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shosy View Post
Now I know, understand, and believe the rational.

Your example of what you consider abnormal conditions is a huge exaggeration. Conditions where it is safer to have the better tires on the rear don't require ice, or downhill, or even hitting the brakes - much less all three simultaneously. It includes common situations where even a very careful driver may need to swerve quickly to avoid an accident or has to drive in the rain and take a curve on a mountain road or a highway off-ramp.

Slight and predictable under-steer is always preferable to major and sudden over-steer, unless you're a drifter or rally racer on a closed course.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Una Persson View Post
It sounds very similar to the apocryphal case of a confused average person standing in a shop while a bunch of smirking mechanics say "nope, sorry little lady, I know you just came in for brakes but the law says I can't legally let you drive out of here on those tires. You have to buy 4 new ones from us before we'll take your car off the rack...and you need some new muffler bearings too; don't want to break any noise ordinances either! Heh heh..."
When my car was having exhaust issues, I stopped for a "free exhaust inspection" at an exhaust shop beginning with the letter "M". The mechanic had my car on the lift and suggested costly repairs, which I felt (and later proved) were overkill.

He then refused to return the vehicle, saying it would be illegal to do so, citing safety concerns.

I got out a pen and wrote down his name and other info. He explained, while I wrote, the payment options accepted. I then told him I had to go find a payphone (this was pre-cellphones) to file a police report.

He returned my vehicle.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:30 AM

[QUOTE=Shosy;15211887] However, tire manufacturers do suggest the best tires go on the rear, and as someone pointed out, it's nothing to do with blowouts, it has to do with braking.

Shosy. The majority of braking is on the front of the car not the rear. I would imagine 65% front 35% rear. if you look, your discs are much smaller on the rear than on the front.