The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 06-28-2012, 06:38 PM
Charter Member

Tips for Growing Your Hair Long (for Men)

I've decided to grow my hair long. For the past 20 years I've rocked a basic high and tight, as seen here, third pic down. Now I've decided to aim for something more like this guy.

Is there any product, styling regime, tonsorial schedule, or any other information I may need in order to manage the transition? This is a completely new direction for me and I'm a skosh intimidated!
Advertisements  
Old 06-28-2012, 07:45 PM

First, quit getting haircuts. You will need an occasional trim to even up the ends. Shampoo daily with decent quality stuff. If you've kept it short the last 20 years, don't be surprised if it grows out curlier than you think it will, especially if puberty was in or near the start of those 20 years.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:16 PM

I was pretty much where you were about 4 years ago. My hair is now about halfway down my back, so quite a bit longer than you and Theoden.

california jobcase pretty much nailed it there in Post 2. I actually haven't had a cut in as long as I can remember, but I really should go in for a trim. And as far as it growing out curly, that definitely happened to me. My hair was always straight. but as soon as it got to my shoulders it started curling. It stayed like that until it was long enough that the ends were well past my shoulders, and now it's back to being straight again.

You'll need to use more shampoo than you're used to, and you'll have to spend some time every day actually 'doing something' with it, but really the key to growing long hair is simply to let it grow long
Old 06-28-2012, 08:30 PM

You will want to get it all cut off several times a year. It will suck having to deal with it constantly. Get a couple different shampoos and rotate them. Get some leave in conditioner so it doesn't get too puffy and fluffy. Get ball caps and sweat bands, there will be days you don't want to deal with it.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcar View Post
You will want to get it all cut off several times a year. It will suck having to deal with it constantly. Get a couple different shampoos and rotate them. Get some leave in conditioner so it doesn't get too puffy and fluffy. Get ball caps and sweat bands, there will be days you don't want to deal with it.
Goodness get a good looking hat not a ball cap or sweat band.
I used gel products on my hair while it was in the in-between awkward looking stage, but I was growing mine out from short to pony-tail length.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:00 PM

It's not too late to change your mind.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:03 PM
Charter Member

Use a mild shampoo. Like baby shampoo. You don't want to dry out your hair because then it will become brittle and break off. Use conditioner.

Eat healthy to grow healthy hair.

Be patient.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:12 PM

Well, it's going to take a while. It will spend some time between short and long where you can't control it. That's like your hair's teenage years. Actually it's not that bad. Just spray on some of that hair goop your wife has to hold in place. I prefer mine long enough to tie back. If I tie it up while it's still wet it dries pretty straight. If I let it air dry I get varying effects from lion's mane to Jesus (scruffy old Jesus now).
Old 06-29-2012, 12:10 AM

Off the top of my head:

Get regular trims for split ends.

Don't ever brush or comb while wet.

Be careful how you scrub when you lather up. There's an art to getting shampoo evenly distributed without getting mass tangles.

It will look like crap while it is growing out.

Depending on how thick/fine or straight/curly your hair is it may take a while to dry. This is something you'll get a feel for.

In windy weather, wear a hat or something to contain your hair. Unless you like combing out tangles.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:47 AM

Don't operate a vehicle in Las Vegas. The police will arrest you for probable cause based on your hair length. Damn hippies!
Old 06-29-2012, 01:28 AM

I'm a girl, if it matters, but I'm going through the same thing. I'm currently growing out my hair from a short haircut I got a few months ago, and I'm at the awkward middle-length stage. I don't think there's a big difference between how girls and guys grow out their hair, but you can disregard this post if you disagree.

I had grown out my hair for my entire life from age 10 to 27, and it was curly and frizzy the whole time. I was quite surprised after the short cut I got, because it ended up being straight and smooth! So, as mentioned above, don't be surprised if it gets curly or wavy as it grows out.

To cope with the transition, I'm using mousse and headbands. I take a shower in the morning and wash it--no conditioner needed yet. Rub dry with a towel, although as it gets longer I will eventually have to resume avoiding this step (rubbing long hair with a towel is a big no-no, for curly hair at least). Then I put in mousse and slick it all straight back with a boar bristle brush (this ensures maximum smoothness and straightness later on). After it air dries, I brush it all forward to get the mousse residue out--dry mousse will flake, so bend over or else your shoulders will look dandruffy. After that, I just brush it to style it how I like. Sometimes I do a center part, sometimes a side part. Sometimes I brush it all forward and do sidesweeping bangs (kind of how Justin Bieber and that High School Musical kid style theirs). On bad hair days I use a headband--you could just use a ballcap instead. I don't have nearly as many bad hair days as I did when it was long, though.

Once it gets long enough, you can pull it back into a low ponytail when it's wet. Try to avoid brushing wet hair too much, especially long wet hair, because that leads to breakage. You can use a wide-toothed comb with rubberized tips to detangle it as needed. If you like to brush it though, get a boar bristle brush because they don't damage your hair like the cheapy plastic nubby brushes do. My brush is honestly the secret to my style--I can change hairstyles in the middle of the day without wetting or adding product, because the brush is so great.

The nicest long hair I've ever seen on a guy was a friend of mine who basically did almost nothing to it. He would wash it in the morning, put it in a ponytail, and go. When he let me brush it, it was sooo luxurious and beautiful. Good genes, of course, but the fact that he never brushed it or heat-styled meant he didn't have any breakage or split ends to speak of.

Last edited by Rachellelogram; 06-29-2012 at 01:32 AM..
Old 06-29-2012, 05:37 AM
Charter Member

That's actually a good rule of thumb right there - if you want long hair do as little to it as possible. Don't blow dry if you can avoid it, don't dye it, bleach it, etc. Keep it clean and brushed and don't cut it (An occasional trim to avoid raggedness is OK)
Old 06-29-2012, 05:42 AM

I disagree with the advice to quit getting haircuts. Take the end picture to your hairdresser and let them know that's what you're aiming for. They can then style and trim your hair in a way that you continue to look decent whilst you're growing it out.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:39 AM
Charter Member

Don't go bald. I had long hair, but I started to go thin on top, and it looked really bad. Especially when wet. So I dramatically shortened it.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:23 AM

I'm guessing you're middle aged (45+) or close to it.

Bear in mind that nothing makes a middle-aged person look old more than long hair, unless it is in perfect, non-graying, non-balding condition. Even then, the contrast between perfect hair and the lines/wrinkles in your face will make you look older than you are.

I am the voice of experience here.

(If you're still in your 30's and can carry it off, go for it, but be prepared to cut it off again later when it starts to make you look bad. You may need an objective 3rd party to help you not go too far past that point.)

Roddy
Old 06-29-2012, 11:55 AM

I've been shaving my head each day for the past year, but for about 30 years before that I had long hair.

I never went to a barber. I combed everything straight back and used small rubber bands for a pony tail. If the tail got too long for comfort, I'd hack six inches off with scissors. Each morning I shampooed. Pretty simple.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:59 AM

I rarely went without a hat (not a ball cap) during the growing out stage ... occasionally used some kind of goo to hold it combed straight back. It's just gonna look ratty for a while and trying to keep it trimmed to look less ratty will prolong the process.

It's been maybe five or six years of pony tail now, with just a yearly trim of a bit off the bottom.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:08 AM

Lather your scalp when you wash and not so much the ends.

I'm silicone and SLS free myself much of the time, but the ends rairly need touched. Actually, much of it does not need touched.

I'd invest in some metal-free, covered elastics if you're planning ponytailing it.

(Caveat: I'm a lady at hip-length.)
Old 06-30-2012, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickNickMaggies View Post
(Caveat: I'm a lady at hip-length.)
Here's another point to keep in mind. Some peoples' hair will never get past a certain length. Exhibit A: my scalp. My hair is very fine and splits or breaks if anyone even looks at it funny. Even with very gentle handling it'll never be waist length. A few strands have made it to my waist when I let it get that long, but past shoulder blade length it gets very straggly. So I keep it trimmed.

I mention this for two reasons. First to say how envious I am of persons who are able to grow their hair that long, grr! Second, to point out that if your hair has for a long time been cut very close to your scalp you may not really know its texture and how sturdy or fragile it is and you'll need to learn what sort of handling it needs.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick Femm View Post
Bear in mind that nothing makes a middle-aged person look old more than long hair, unless it is in perfect, non-graying, non-balding condition. Even then, the contrast between perfect hair and the lines/wrinkles in your face will make you look older than you are.
When I wore my hair very long a few people told me the same thing. I always pointed out that I didn't give a fuck. Worked for me.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
I always pointed out that I didn't give a fuck. Worked for me.
My plan as well.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
When I wore my hair very long a few people told me the same thing. I always pointed out that I didn't give a fuck. Worked for me.
^ This.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:54 PM

Just adding to cuberdon's post, and refuting the suggestions of washing your hair every day: I couldn't get my (now waist-length) hair past shoulder-length until I started washing it every 7-10 days.

And HeyHomie, take note of the cleansing tips from MickNickMaggies
Old 10-08-2013, 07:37 PM

Longer Hair

Check out "Hair Freaky" on Facebook.

He never trims his hair and I think he has it now touching the ground.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:54 PM

Here are my tips (from a guy who's had long hair since high school, back in the mid-70s):

Grow it long enough to put a ponytail rubber band in. Then you can just step out of the shower, run a comb through it, put the rubber band in, and you're done. That's your whole hair-care routine right there. It's as easy to take care of as a crew cut, except that you never have to go to a barber.

I don't worry too much about products. Cheap stuff seems to work fine. Shampoo and (most of the time, unless I forget) conditioner, rinse, I'm done.

Roderick Femm's advice might be good. Maybe I should take it (I'm in my 50's -- a little bit of gray, not much, not bald). But I'm used to this, and it's easy.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick Femm View Post
I'm guessing you're middle aged (45+) or close to it.

I am the voice of experience here.

(If you're still in your 30's and can carry it off, go for it, but be prepared to cut it off again later when it starts to make you look bad. You may need an objective 3rd party to help you not go too far past that point.)

Roddy
I don't think you can generalize based on what you look like with long hair. But yeah, long hair on a guy in his 40s or 50s generally makes you look like a medieval lord (which I guess is the look the OP is going for). And perfect long hair on a guy in his 40s or 50s makes you either look like Fabio or a weirdly strung out 29 year old.

I tend to keep my hair longish (I'm 40), but it's more Bradley Cooper length than Aragorn length. Even with some grey, it looks better on me than short hair.

Also, my hair guy recommends not shampooing every day. It dries your hair out. And condition, condition, condition.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:43 PM
IMHOtep the Justifed

Start looking for a good cutter now, and keep changing until you find one that knows what they are doing with MEN'S long hair. Most only know how to shape women's hair and you will get a "feminine" cast that looks like shit.

Don't plan on just growing it out and doing nothing but occasionally chopping off some length. A good cut, well maintained, is even more important with long hair than short. It's the difference between looking badass stylish and plain slobbo.

Going on 35 years of long, full and shaggy... but never just looking too lazy to get it cut.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintly Loser View Post
Grow it long enough to put a ponytail rubber band in.
What if I don't work in a comic book store?
Old 10-08-2013, 11:06 PM

I've only had one hair cut since '91 and that was two tears ago during chemo. I wash twice a week in summer and once a week in winter. I trim the ends myself while in the shower. Use a ponytail tie to keep it out of the way when I not letting my freak flag fly. Brush from the ends first and work your way up.

Letting my freak flag fly.

Tied back with hat.

Sans hat.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by needscoffee View Post
It's not too late to change your mind.
Not everybody looks good with long hair. If it turns out looking bad, you've got options.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
What if I don't work in a comic book store?
Then I'm sorry. I know lots of people have had to take shitty jobs during these economic hard times, rather than doing something enjoyable for a living.
Old 10-09-2013, 04:10 PM
IMHOtep the Justifed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintly Loser View Post
I know lots of people have had to take shitty jobs during these economic hard times, rather than doing something enjoyable for a living.
Most people take shitty jobs rather than do something enjoyable for a living no matter how the times are.
Old 10-09-2013, 04:40 PM

I'm female, but hair's hair, and my hair's juuust long enough to sit on.

I wash mine once or twice a week, unless it's visibly dirty; daily washing really does make it more brittle. I haven't trimmed it in 14 years, and I get regular unsolicited compliments on it from random people, so I don't think it looks bad. I do as little as possible to mine other than brush it, and wash it (I've been using the same shampoo for the last 4 years, which doesn't seem to need a conditioner), and that seems to be fine. If I wanted to grow it longer, tying it up seems to help, as it stops the ends getting damaged so much, but I'm fine with it as it is, so I rarely bother.