nginx - virus, bug, what??

I keep getting re-directed to a site that says

404 Not Found
nginx/0.6.32
What the hell is this?

Nginx is a web server software, in competition with Apache. Its not a virus, it just means that the website server has a problem finding what you requested.

But I get the message consistantly when trying to get to Google and Yahoo.
It’s not a problem?

Sounds like it’s possible you have some sort of malware or browser hijack that redirected you to a website that’s since been taken down - probably because of complaints about doing what they did.

Tell us what browser you’re using so that you can get specific steps on what to check/fix.

ie 9.0.7

I’ve tried looking for answers and all I’ve found is that clearing the browser history seems to help.
That clears it up for 30 min or so but then it’s back.

Okay, in IE you want to go to “Tools” “Internet Options” then under the “General” tab click on “Options” in the “Search” section and tell us what entries you see under “Search Providers”

Bing
Yahoo
Ask
Amazon
eBay
Wikipedia
Google
Yahoo!Search

Okay, instead of “Search Providers” what do you have in “Toolbars & Extensions”?

Literally;

(Not verified) Visicom Media Inc.
—blekko search bar
Adobe Systems Incorporated
Microsoft Corporation
Not Available
—ieSpell
—ieSpell Options
Blog This in Windows Live Writer
Spigot Inc
—Youtube Downloader Toolbar

Some of those entries aren’t encouraging, specially if you don’t recognize them. Without actually researching them, I’d at least get rid of that Visicom/blekko and that Spigot/YouTube downloader.

Either way, I’d highly recommend a full virus scan and a full malware scan. What antivirus do you have? Any malware scanners? Regardless, I’d recommend downloading, updating, and running “Malware Bytes” malware scanner to start off.

Yeah the blekko and youtube downloader concern me.
This is a new machine and I haven’t really git it up to speed with protection - thanks!!

You might also consider switching to Chrome or Firefox, instead of IE. You should still run a virus scan, but there’s fewer viruses targeting the security holes of the other browsers, so you’re less likely to get one.

And of course, you should install AVG Free Antivirus.

AVG - thanks!
I’ll install that too.

Personally, I’d skip the AVG and install Microsoft Security Essentials instead.

Agreed. I’d also probably run a scan with Malware Bytes.

zoid, try opening the file C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts in Notepad. If there’s anything in there other than “localhost”, and you haven’t added it, it was likely added by malware. That would cause those hostnames to resolve to the IPs in the hosts file, rather than the correct IP from the DNS server.

I ran MSE and Malwarebites.
Neither found anything.
So far clearing the browsing history has seemed to work.

Seems to be all comments;

# Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
#      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server
#       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
#	127.0.0.1       localhost
#	::1             localhost

zoid: Try going to “Control Panel” then “Programs & Features” and look for any program by “Panda” or something called “Anti Phishing Domain Advisor” - if so, I’d recommend just removing/uninstalling it.

I did a little Googling and came up with this page full of people discussing what sounds like exactly your issue. I didn’t read all the comments, but you might want to.

PS: If you happen to see “Panda Antivirus” as an installed program, then that means you now have two AV programs, and that’s not recommended. You’ll definitely want to uninstall Panda, if only for that reason.