The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 10-01-2012, 07:55 PM

Wow, Sabrina and Louis just put on a textbook quickstep. They could use that video for a dancing clinic. Stayed in hold, top was still and smooth. Bottom dancing like mad.

Glad to see the judges enforcing the in hold rule for the quickstep. Mark got slapped down hard for breaking it.

Apollo and Karina were awesome. He's bringing his gold medal efforts this season. Helio pretty much matched his season's jive, but it's got to get better for All Stars. Chelsie is sure rock'n the Julianne look.

2nd half. Time for the older geezers. Hope they got the oxygen tanks ready. Quickstep and Jive are brutal for anyone over thirty unless you're a pro dancer.

Last edited by aceplace57; 10-01-2012 at 07:59 PM..
Advertisements  
Old 10-01-2012, 09:20 PM

Pretty good 2nd half.

It bugged me that Joey and Kym did a routine full of performance and little technical content. The judges called them out for it, but still gave good scores. Not fair to the others that worked so hard getting the technique right.

Gilles is just amazing. He is Superman Judges said he had the highest jive kicks of the night. That's with a torn hamstring.

Kelly looks pretty vulnerable. I didn't see where she fell in the rankings. Obviously Bristol is at the bottom.

Peta is skivving me out. I'm old enough to remember the Amazonian ice queen Brigitte Nielsen. That harsh man eater look never appealed to me.
http://jgtwo.files.wordpress.com/200...pg?w=320&h=430

Last edited by aceplace57; 10-01-2012 at 09:24 PM..
Old 10-01-2012, 10:10 PM

Top three of the night for me were Apolo, Sabrina and Gilles (despite an unfortunate costume choice on his and Peta's part).

I'm gonna root for Joey as well, despite the recognizable deficiencies in technique. OTOH, the biggest WTF moment of the night was seeing Fatone dressed up as Charlie Chaplin's tramp, dancing to a Radiohead song done Vegas style. Holy mashup, Batman.

Last edited by El_Kabong; 10-01-2012 at 10:11 PM..
Old 10-01-2012, 11:11 PM
Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space

Lots and lots of good dancing tonight -- more a matter of who didn't do well: Bristol, Kirstie, and -- this season, with the bar so high -- Helio, none of whom I like particularly. Also Joey, which I'm sad about because I do like him.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:30 PM

Tonight:

I was happy for Melissa, I thought she handled the jive very well, but going so early she might be forgotten.

Bristol is painful to watch

Helio was good tonight. He's so much better with Chelsie than with Julianne imho. Chelsie gives him choreography he can do well, not tricky footwork (toe heel crosses) that Julianne gave him to mess up on. She has a better sense of his strengths imo.

Apolo was underwhelming to me, since I had high expectations for a really great Quickstep, but he was back led for most of that dance until he got to last few bars. Wasn't feeling the hat either. A small man should avoid hats.

Sabrina is a good dancer, but she's as annoying as ever. Anyone who dances and choreographs for a living should stop with the act that she doesn't know what she's doing.

Joey Fatone needs to remember there's technique involved because he's really entertaining

Drew Lachey for me it was only marginally better than last week. I think the partnership isn't gelling well at all.

Kelly Monaco is better than her season. I'm impressed with her. She needs to get more consistent with her dancing because she has moments of really good dance.

Emmitt definitely a smooth cat, great to watch but it seemed to be a little reserved tonight. He's going to be compared on speed on Quickstep and his was slower than Sabrina or Apolo.

Shawn well other than the cartwheel, that dance was a Ricky Lake choreography warm over and Derek needs to get more creative if Shawn is going to really break through

Kirstie was just not good. She's going to leap frog over better dancers and that's a shame.

Gilles and Peta had an interesting Jive, very well danced. I'm not sure it's always necessary to bring the sex, especially for something that's supposed to be flirty and fun.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:49 AM

Latchey was so shocked that he was in the bottom two, but his personality is a turn off.

If Bristol is the next to leave she can blame her partner. His choreography resulted in scores so low that it's going to take a massive vote in to over ride them.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:01 PM

I think Bristol is so out of her league that Mark really couldn't do much but give her something awful, but she wanted to do it.

I am thinking this could be the beginning of a massive change in this show. Ratings were down again in the 18-49 demo as usual, but more alarming is for the first time DWTS got beat by the Voice in total viewership as well.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:24 PM

Gilles can bring the sex whenever he wants. He IS the sex.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Time First Time View Post
If Bristol is the next to leave she can blame her partner. His choreography resulted in scores so low that it's going to take a massive vote in to over ride them.
Sorry, no. There's blame all over the place for Bristol's scores. Mark's overdanced and did lame choreography, but Bristol just isn't a good dancer or performer. And while she's better this season than her previous season, the bar wasn't that high. The right dancer could have sold that dance, she couldn't.

Other than that, Melissa only kind of has one character when she dances - luckily that character is really suited to jive. Plus, it was a good dance.

I really didn't like Sabrina & Louis's dance - I can't put my finger on why not. And there was no reason for me not to like it, and yet... no.

Once I realized that Joey was dancing to "Creep" I couldn't really pay attention to the dance. That was a distracting song choice, especially when combined with that costume. But he was entertaining.

Drew did much better this week than last.

And Gilles was one of my favorites of the night.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:09 PM

WTF? Has America totally lost its freaking mind? She didn't go home? Really?

That's insane.

SPOILER:
Joey and Kym got hosed. To think Bristol is still there makes me ill.

Last edited by aceplace57; 10-02-2012 at 09:10 PM..
Old 10-03-2012, 12:00 AM

The problem is not who went home, it's the show itself. Now it's losing the ratings race in a big way this season and Conrad Green has no one to blame but himself. Rather than making this true all stars season, he gets polarizing so called fan favorites with insane people staying up all night to vote just to make a damn point.
So a jackass like Bristol Palin stays another week, and we get to watch her do her half assed attempts to entertain. No wonder people are leaving in droves. I didn't watch the opening night and I really didn't care. Now I'm not sure if I'm going to care much at all for a season that could have had so much promise
Old 10-03-2012, 01:09 AM

TPTB seems oblivious to fan's desire to see their former champions dance. We waited, in some cases five years to see our favorites dance again. Immediately eliminating these people makes no sense. Next weeks double elimination really chafes my butt.

Thats costing them ratings too. I know some people on another board that stopped watching several seasons ago. All Stars lured them back because they wanted to see their old favorites. They may stop watching after their favorites are booted out.

All Stars should have considered postponing eliminations. You have a full cast of champions. Let them dance for six weeks. Then eliminate 5 at one time.

That wouldn't work in a regular season. No one wants to see a horrible dancer for six weeks. Well, excluding Bristol. Some people like seeing her.

Last edited by aceplace57; 10-03-2012 at 01:14 AM..
Old 10-03-2012, 11:39 AM

Did Bristol really say something (in one of those candid mic-ed up moments) to the effect that she can't wait for this night to be over?

If only the voters had given her her wish. She has never, in either season, indicated that she gets any joy out of this. Or any other honest emotion, come to think of it -- her happiness always seems forced, her disappointment always seems scripted.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
Did Bristol really say something (in one of those candid mic-ed up moments) to the effect that she can't wait for this night to be over?

If only the voters had given her her wish. She has never, in either season, indicated that she gets any joy out of this. Or any other honest emotion, come to think of it -- her happiness always seems forced, her disappointment always seems scripted.
I think she just doesn't show emotion very well. The entire time she was on the show last time, Mark had to keep working with her to get her to show *something* on her features. It's like dancing with a zombie. That's probably why he put her in a gorilla suit, so he didn't have to worry about her lack of facial expression for a few seconds.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:34 PM

Is it just me, or are Anna and Tristan always getting sandbagged with sub-par contestants? I like both of them so much personality-wise, but it seems like they never get a contestant who can actually keep up with them and DANCE. It makes me sad.

Also, I can't figure out why Bristol and Pamela were even included in this. They weren't winners last time, or even in the finals, or even (like Sabrina) unjustly eliminated. It seems like just setting them up for humiliation.

And *siiiigh* Kirstie and Maks. I didn't enjoy their season where it became "The Kirstie and Maks Show" and watching the audience keep them past far more talented folks. I would much rather have seen Chelsea Kane brought back than Kirstie again.

Last edited by Feyrat; 10-07-2012 at 01:36 PM..
Old 10-08-2012, 09:42 PM

A great night of dance. It's hard to stand out when everyone did so well. Drew, Emmitt, and Bristol were the ones that didn't stand out for me. Giles should have been docked a point for his time wasting flying entrance. Len usually calls that "mucking about".

I am concerned that nearly everyone got rewarded for over the top performances that didn't meet ballroom rules. The one couple (Sabrina and Louis) that played fair got knocked for it. Thats a dangerous path. If the show stops being about ballroom dance then why should I watch?
Old 10-08-2012, 11:01 PM

Feyrat, Bristol was a finalist. Unjustly--IMO--but she was.

Anna has had some good partners--that ice skating guy--and has gotten into the finals. Tristan is new. In most seasons, most of the competitors are sub-par, and it's the pros' job to get them up to speed and make them look good.

I think Derek does the best job of making his partner look good, plus he's just great. I think he's the only one up to the athletics of Shawn Johnson (who, although she's very good, for some reason I don't particularly like, I don't know why).

I would like to see Kirstie gone and Bristol gone. Kirstie did very well the first time around but she's not doing it for me this time; Bristol's doing a lot better than in her original season, but she's still not cutting it. Drew--meh.

Last edited by Hilarity N. Suze; 10-08-2012 at 11:02 PM..
Old 10-08-2012, 11:24 PM

I actually threw a couple of votes at Drew tonight, because I'd rather he stick around than Bristol, Kirstie, or Helio. Also voted for Gilles (after the intro, that was a smokin' tango), Melissa (she doesn't have a fan base but is probably about the best of the women), and Apolo. Plus one for Shawn because that was an amazing dance, though it looked more like a jive than a quickstep to me.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:20 AM

Kelly Monaco has been a pleasant surprise this season. She's so much more confidant and dancing better than she did season 1.

This may be her best week because she was on vacation from General Hospital. I hope her big storyline is wrapped up for awhile. I'd like to see how well she can do on dwts with more rehearsal time.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:04 PM

1. Gilles should have been docked more for improper footwork, no heel leads, and lousy dance position. Forced chemistry. blah
2. WTH 8.5 for a gymnastic routine? It's a Quickstep? Shawn and Derek full on rasberries for that.
3. Kelly was pretty decent, Val is the better brother. Great chemistry
4. Maks and Kirstie forgettable
5. Bristol terrible
6. Emmitt was hilarious with the torepedo slide
7. Helio was on a roll until the slip, hope he's safe
8. Apolo was meh..why so many statues doing nada?
9. Drew wasn't bad, terrible dance order
10. Melissa was pretty good enjoyed all the tricks, and she didn't break the rules.
12. Sabrina wasn't nearly as good as Mel B originally... really didn't like the routine as presented and she slipped but nobody mentioned it. Absolutely zero chemistry with Louis
Old 10-09-2012, 09:24 PM

Well, the big twist was a bust imho. The celebrities assigned each other dances from a list. None of the dances seemed to worry the pros. TPTB little trick didn't matter.

Bristol got Rock N Roll. Sabrina got Disco. Both should be easy. Kristie got the Charleston which will be hard considering her age. Melissa got jitterbug and I think she already did that in her season.
SPOILER:
Two champs, Helio and Drew are gone.

Last edited by aceplace57; 10-09-2012 at 09:27 PM..
Old 10-09-2012, 09:37 PM

**Correction** Melissa got Lindy Hop and it was one of her best dances her season.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:43 PM

Yeah, if anyone can handle a very fast, athletic dance -- and make it look like a dance, not an acrobatic routine -- it's Melissa. I'm starting to seriously root for her.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:53 PM

Sad for Helio tonight. He actually brought Joy to the dance floor. Palin looks bored and is boring as all get, and yet she stays.

Drew, meh... his time had come.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
Well, the big twist was a bust imho. The celebrities assigned each other dances from a list. None of the dances seemed to worry the pros. TPTB little trick didn't matter.

Bristol got Rock N Roll. Sabrina got Disco. Both should be easy. Kristie got the Charleston which will be hard considering her age. Melissa got jitterbug and I think she already did that in her season.]
I think it's interesting that TPTB opened up the playbook, and are going to show us a lot of non-ballroom, non-Latin. That's pretty daring -- it'll look like SYTYCD.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
I think it's interesting that TPTB opened up the playbook, and are going to show us a lot of non-ballroom, non-Latin. That's pretty daring -- it'll look like SYTYCD.
I was thinking about that last night while watching the non-tap special number -- the one that started with someone writhing on the piano -- much of what "they" (pros, troupe) do in performing to guest musicians is often only very tangentially connected to ballroom.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:52 AM

I'm disappointed that we won't get to see the Broadway number. That was the best choice of all the picks. We typically see a broadway number on dwts. Tony and Melissa did a Bob Fosse number week 2. A lot of Ralph Macchio's dances had a theater flavor.

Last edited by aceplace57; 10-10-2012 at 08:52 AM..
Old 10-15-2012, 07:43 PM

Everybody is rising to this weeks challenge. Bristol had her personal best dance this week.

Kirstie went for comedy. She had some good Charleston steps too. A cartwheel? Wow, she consistently dances 15 years younger than sixty. I don't know how she does it.

Loved Sabrina and Louis' disco. He pulled off 4 lifts and Sabrina isn't exactly a small woman. Smart choice going with Studio 54 instead of Sat Night Fever.

Last edited by aceplace57; 10-15-2012 at 07:45 PM..
Old 10-15-2012, 08:33 PM

Thought they way over scored Gilles' Bollywood dance. Heck no one even knows if any of the movements were right. I can't see 10's for that.

Tony and Melissa's jitterbug was really ambitious. They did a good job considering the difficulty.

As expected, Shawn and Derek are pulling ahead of the pack. They are almost a shoo in for the finals.

Last edited by aceplace57; 10-15-2012 at 08:34 PM..
Old 10-15-2012, 08:51 PM

I've never watched a single episode of DWTS, but was flipping by as Shawn and Derek danced, and man they look like what I would expect high end ballroom dancers to look like. I guess being a gymnast helps, but there was some timing or something that they really looked in sync. I don't think I expected any of them to really be able to dance like that.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:05 PM

My favorites tonight were Shawn and Derek and Kelly/Val. They both deserved perfect scores.

Seems pretty obvious Kelly and Val put their personal feelings into that dance. Pretty sure there's a love affair blossoming in that rehearsal hall. Good for them. Maybe it will last beyond the show.

Last edited by aceplace57; 10-15-2012 at 09:05 PM..
Old 10-15-2012, 09:49 PM

I missed most of Shawn and Derek -- my reception went wonky for about 60 seconds.

Gave most of my votes to Melissa and Tony tonight -- they're good dancers (okay, they bobbled that one dismount, but it was a very ambitious routine) and unlike the other good dancers, they don't have much of a fan base.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:22 PM

Kelly & Val - shag story of the season! Wow, get a room you two.
Derek & Shawn were pretty damn fabulous again. Love those drop turns. Also loved Melissa and Tony - she seems to bring out the competent choreographer in him, doesn't she? Mad props to Louis and Sabrina, loved their lifts.
Poor Karina, she is so hard on herself. Glad she wasn't hurt anyway. At first, I thought it was part of the routine - until I saw her face.
Palin HAS TO go, I couldn't believe how tame and safe that was. I can't believe I actually feel sorry for Mark.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:36 PM

Shawn and Derek.

The handstand move was cool.

The testicular jump was just kinda ... hmph.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:01 PM

Well Val and Kelly's emotion and partnering was fun, but her side by side dancing was cringeworthy.

Emmitt is sexy. The man has killer hips, and that was a sexy routine.

Gilles and Peta's costumes were pretty, but that dance yikes.. his arms and facial expressions weren't bollywood.

Shawn and Derek very precise but geez so high school, there was absolutely nothing sexy about that Mambo. I'd see that on a floor routine in gymnastics, not in a steamy nightclub in Havana.

Apolo and Karina, well Karina that routine was knob, but Apolo did well with what he got and if she wasn't physically hurt that crying was bogus.

Tony and Melissa started out great, but lost energy in that routine, they were really slowing up after the miss.

Sabrina and Louis are over thinking it a tad, they shouldn't be missing their tricks and they have consistently had little misses here and there.

Kirstie's final move wasn't as good as when Cloris Leachman did it. And Cloris is 25 years her senior.

Bristol is just completely un-entertaining.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:27 PM

I'm not sure what to make of Karina and her claim that she didn't know hip hop. She did a hip hop with Mario her first season. Then I think another one in another season. Maybe they were a blend of styles but there was certainly a hip hop feel to those dances.

I split most of my votes for Melissa and Sabrina. I also threw two votes to Kelly. First time I've ever voted for her.

I'd like to see Bristol go this week, but won't get my hopes up. Kirstie may be this weeks victim. I hope not, but someone has to pack it in.

That move would have gotten Mark prosecuted during Shawn's first season. She's really getting up close and personal with Derek. It seemed really awkward to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twickster View Post
Shawn and Derek.

The handstand move was cool.

The testicular jump was just kinda ... hmph.

Last edited by aceplace57; 10-15-2012 at 11:30 PM..
Old 10-15-2012, 11:58 PM
Charter Member

I take back everything I ever said about rumba-ing to dead relatives if they never do this again. I didn't like this week at all (what does "rock'n'roll" even mean?)

I want to see the usual 10 or 12 dances, please. Not this, not again.

I have no idea what they were complementing Bristol on, she was nigh dead and Mark so over danced her it made her look even worse.

Emmet's shirt was hideous. I think it was supposed to be some kind of male bolero, but a half mesh shirt is just a mistake, it's even bad on DWTS terms, where the bar is already set pretty low. The dance was ok.

Last season, I thought Peta pulled focus from Donald a lot. She's not doing that to Gilles - I don't know if that's because she's learned more or because he can hold a crowd better. But while it was entertaining and fun and I liked it, the judges didn't even know what they were scoring, which makes their scores worthless.

Melissa hasn't had a single slow dance...it's all been hig energy things that she can paste on her cheerleader smile. I'd like to see her have to do something that requires an emotion besides "on!" (waltz, rumba, tango, something) still it was a good jitterbug, bobbles aside.

Same for Shawn, but that dance was just flat out awesome.

I didn't like Apolo & Karina's choreography at all, even without the accident. (and I do like hip hop- just not that one)

I didn't like Kelly's dancing during her season - but she's done really well this time around. And she and Val spent the commercial breaks prepping the audience really well. I appreciate that kind of manipulation. I barely minded that she was off a few times.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:10 AM

When the season started I was worried that Shawn would be all about jumps/tricks, but her actual dancing is winning me over. The synchronicity of the moves and steps is just uncanny. What Derick and Shawn lack is the "emotion" and the lust/betrayal type stuff that many of the other stars use to sell dances that lack in technique.

Kelly knows she can't out dance Shawn, so she's playing to her strength, building a story line about the emotional aspects of the dance. And Val and Kelly are selling it very well. That's where being in soap operas for years comes in - Kelly is no doubt coaching Val on selling the sizzle while he teaches her the moves.

I'm ready to Val to replace his older brother as the brooding slavic dancer.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:54 PM

Shawn is not winning me over. Of course she's all about precision, she does that for a living. When is this team going to be sexy like a Mambo needs to be sexy? Derek just isn't sexy channelling William Levy's opening of a very sexy salsa. They've got to get sexy together.

Or is it all about big brother and little sister anything you can do I can do better all season long? Not into that one upmanship, it's supposed to be a partnership.

Last edited by Andiethewestie; 10-16-2012 at 12:55 PM..
Old 10-16-2012, 05:50 PM

Bristol and Kirstie. What can I say? Kirstie is going for it, and looks awkward. Bristol is so obviously not going for it and not pushing herself, she's just doing the minimum.

Now I didn't think Kirstie's dance sucked all that much, although there were a couple of times when Maks pushing a shopping cart around the dance floor came to mind. But she showed up and she tried and she even did a cartwheel. Sort of.

Bristol, who seemed to have zero problem with a practice cartwheel, wanted the dance made easier. It's really hard for Mark not to outshine her. Impossible.

And yet, Bristol got the higher scores. So the judges' claim that they want the contestants to push themselves is bogus.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:20 PM

Tonight's results:

Delighted to see who the bottom two were, and delighted to see who went home.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:44 PM

Yes, that's a relief. All Stars won't be marred by the worst dancer reaching the finals. <happy dance>

Anyone else very disappointed with Carson's backstage footage? They've been hyping it for awhile and I thought it would be a much longer piece. Really get back there and show us some good footage of the dancers down time. Kicking back in the rehearsal break room, hanging out up in the celeb aquarium during the show etc.

Last edited by aceplace57; 10-16-2012 at 09:46 PM..
Old 10-16-2012, 11:13 PM

Next week no eliminations? Intersting. I thing the group dances are going to be fun, especially Gilles, Kirstie, Kelly and Emmitt... it's going to be a laugh seeing Gangham style.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:43 AM

2 guaranteed weeks of dances from the remaining eight couples. That's a very nice surprise. We can all just sit back and enjoy next week without worrying about who gets the most votes.

There's not a bad dancer in this group. Kirstie may not be the best but she's always entertaining and fun.

Last edited by aceplace57; 10-17-2012 at 12:44 AM..
Old 10-17-2012, 12:52 AM

I missed the part where they said no eliminations next week. Are we sure about that??

I did hear there were two days of dancing. I assumed individual dances on Monday, and group dances for only judges scores on Tuesday, along with the elimination. They've done that before.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:13 AM
Charter Member

Yes!

It would be kind of cool if the Stars got to choose their own guilty pleasure songs - but Gagnam Style & Call Me Maybe (Orchestral Version) are steps in the right direction for wonderfully cheesy songs. And the team dances are going to be Team Sexpot v. Team Cheerleader. I'm looking forward to next week.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:29 AM

They will be choosing their own guilty pleasure songs for their individual dances
Old 10-17-2012, 09:31 AM

Here's the Gangnam Style video thats currently a big fad. Thanks to DWTS us old farts will actually know what the younger generation is talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bZkp7q19f0

I can see the mass appeal. There are some clever moves and it seems easy enough to learn. Might be fun at a bar after enough drinks. Gilles Team should knock this out of the park easily.

Call Me Maybe will be a bear to choreograph. It's not a dance song. I feel bad for Derek and the others on that team.

Last edited by aceplace57; 10-17-2012 at 09:35 AM..
Old 10-17-2012, 09:40 AM

Call Me Maybe Good luck dancing to that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWAdb1vgoik
Old 10-17-2012, 10:10 AM

I dunno, if there's one person who would be able to put together an amazing dance to that, it's Derek. He is a brilliant choreographer.