The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 10-17-2012, 12:12 PM
Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisp00 View Post
I missed the part where they said no eliminations next week. Are we sure about that??

I did hear there were two days of dancing. I assumed individual dances on Monday, and group dances for only judges scores on Tuesday, along with the elimination. They've done that before.
Yes, definitely no eliminations next week -- I guess because they can only do a one-hour show on Monday (debate at 9 PM), so they can't have everyone dance Monday and do an elimination on Tuesday.

Presumably that's why they did the double elimination last week, to get the numbers to work out.

Pretty strong field still left:

Men: Apolo (prev. winner), Emmit (prev. winner), Gilles
Women: Kelly (prev. winner, kinda), Kirstie, Melissa, Sabrina, Shawn (prev. winner)

Interesting that we've got more female than male stars left.

Are we ready to guess who will make it to the finals yet?
Advertisements  
Old 10-17-2012, 01:42 PM

Thank god. Now we don't have to watch the condescending "good job, buddy, you tried real hard and you look good!" judge-gushing that they do with Bristol. It's like they were trying SO hard not to be "mean" and rile up her base that they ended up looking like they were handing out stickers to a cranky 5 year old.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twickster View Post
Are we ready to guess who will make it to the finals yet?
I'm guessing Gilles and Shawn, with an unknown third. Maybe Apolo?

Anyone else think it was just cruel to Karina to put them up there in the final three?
Old 10-17-2012, 03:35 PM

I would guess Kelly and Val as the third
Old 10-17-2012, 04:07 PM

Gilles, Melissa and Shawn are my picks for the finals.

Melissa is steadily building a fan base with her outstanding dances. She's so much fun to watch and Tony is just beaming all the time.

Gilles may implode before the finals. His desperate me, me, I gotta win attitude is turning off fans on other discussion boards. He better chill out and relax a little or he could lose his fan votes.

Last edited by aceplace57; 10-17-2012 at 04:08 PM..
Old 10-18-2012, 12:33 PM

Anna and Jonathan Roberts are divorcing. Their dances always brought a smile to my face.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...ntcmp=features

Last edited by aceplace57; 10-18-2012 at 12:34 PM..
Old 10-18-2012, 11:48 PM

I think it's a real mistake to count Sabrina out of the final. She's a fantastic dancer, and Louis is really a fantastic choreographer - the two of them are very crisp and sharp, and she's the fan's insert into the lineup.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:14 AM

If Sabrina does a great job on the slower dances than she may win over more fans. One of the criticisms I often read is her really hard attacking style. She rarely mixes it up with softer movements. Dance is like music. There should be quieter moments that build to a climax.

Louis and Sabrina achieved that in the quickstep. It's the most controlled that I've ever seen her. They have the slow waltz (not the V. Waltz) next week. I'm hoping that Louis will convince her o relax and not attack the dance.

The slow dances are where Melissa and Sabrina have a chance to out shine Shawn. Shawn had trouble her season showing any emotion in the slow dances. She's got the Rumba next week. We'll see if Derek goes traditional or whether he violates all the rules with illegal tricks. I know that I'm getting tired of the gymnastic show. Shawn has to dance properly to win.

Last edited by aceplace57; 10-19-2012 at 09:19 AM..
Old 10-19-2012, 05:22 PM

So apparently Maks is quitting after this year.

Personally, I'm relieved to see it. I don't like the guy, and while he's a good dancer, his personality is too offputting to make him good-looking to me. I do hope he doesn't take Val with him - Val seems like a sweetheart.

He's got one really good point though: “Essentially, 80% of our job is to give somebody another push in their career. Or we make them into likable characters. But at the end of the day, they go off and they better themselves. I loved doing it. But to be honest with you, at 32, I am at what-about-me time.’”

That's not unfair, I've wondered if they ever feel a bit like vehicles for other people.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:06 PM

The final 4 could be Johnson, Apolo Emmitt and Kelly. The betting odds have been fairly consistent over the seasons

Week 5 betting odds

Shawn Johnson 7/5
Apolo Ohno 4/1
Emmitt Smith 4/1
Kelly Monaco 5/1
Gilles Marini 6/1
Melissa Rycroft 25/1
Sabrina Bryan 50/1
Kirstie Alley 66/1
Old 10-21-2012, 07:17 PM

The betting odds have been fairly consistent over the seasons, and fanbases are what this show is about. I think Helio and Drew were earlier eliminations not because of their dancing, but because people who would be a fan of Helio any other season parked their vote with Apolo this time. Similarly with Drew, although he was a bit of a dickwad in his attitude, there were two other former partners of Cheryl who people decided was worth the vote more than he was. I also think that's a major reason behind Palin's early departure, there are two other former partners of Mark that are getting the vote over her. Now those Mark voters have seemingly narrowed their vote to Shawn.

I'd be happy with a win from Emmitt, Kelly or Apolo. To me, these three have shown the most dramatic improvements over their season in dancing. Melissa too, but she seems to have soft support and may not get to be a factor.

Last edited by Andiethewestie; 10-21-2012 at 07:18 PM..
Old 10-21-2012, 10:13 PM

Just heard Melissa Rycroft was taken by ambulance to a local hospital with head and neck injuries suffered during camera blocking for tomorrow night's show. No word so far on the extent of her injuries or whether she'll be able to dance tomorrow night.

Scary stuff! Here's hoping it's not serious and that she'll be okay!
Old 10-21-2012, 11:58 PM

E Online reported she's been released, but there's no word if she is cleared to dance. Kym Johnson back in season 12 was cleared the same day as well, but there was no way she could have danced the next day, her injury happened on the Friday prior to the Monday show and there was a scramble to modify dances, and possibly Cheryl step in if she couldn't do it. On the Monday she was heavily sedated but got through it. And she's a pro dancer. Melissa is a new mom and in great shape, but she doesn't dance for a living. This is very scary. Apparently it happened during the blocking for the group dance, so I'm really against unneccessary gymnastics. In a real ballroom competition tricks are banned.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyrat View Post
So apparently Maks is quitting after this year.

That's not unfair, I've wondered if they ever feel a bit like vehicles for other people.

If you're a professional dancer - how else are you going to become a regular on the highest rated show on TV? They get a ton of exposure on the show. So I don't think that's it's a one-sided prospect at all.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:05 PM

Both hours of dancing are recorded tonight. They show the filmed 2nd hour Tuesday. So Melissa has to dance tonight or not at all.

I'm hoping she can manage the Tango. There shouldn't be any lifts and its not strenuous like the jive. Tango is a character dance with leg flicks.

She may have to forfeit the freestyle group dance. I can't see her risking lifts this soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starving Artist View Post
Just heard Melissa Rycroft was taken by ambulance to a local hospital with head and neck injuries suffered during camera blocking for tomorrow night's show. No word so far on the extent of her injuries or whether she'll be able to dance tomorrow night.

Scary stuff! Here's hoping it's not serious and that she'll be okay!

Last edited by aceplace57; 10-22-2012 at 04:05 PM..
Old 10-22-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
Both hours of dancing are recorded tonight. They show the filmed 2nd hour Tuesday.
That's good to know. I was wondering how they'd pick the people who got an extra day to practice.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:24 PM

Melissa's Injury.
I'm not seeing much contact. Tony jumps over her and I see a head bump as the slide starts.

This was such a simple move too. Something they do every week. I guess it proves even routine moves are dangerous.

Quote:
"We can confirm Melissa was diagnosed with a disc herniation at the C4-C5 level of her cervical spine. At this time, Melissa's ability to perform in tonight's show will be a show time decision."

Last edited by aceplace57; 10-22-2012 at 05:25 PM..
Old 10-22-2012, 09:13 PM

I need to rewatch tonight. For some reason I just wasn't that drawn into the show. The dances were ok, but didn't have the excitement factor we've seen on All Stars.

The group freestyle dance with Call Me Maybe was well done. Glad Melissa was able to dance ok. Thankfully she didn't have any lifts except being a human jumping rope.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:00 PM

Kelly and Val's Samba was just okay, but the over-wrought sexuality is getting a bit much.
Gilles and Peta had the song and the look, but I failed to see any actual Rumba. No sliding doors, no cucaracha, just a lot of emoting.
Kirstie did a respectable job on the Quickstep, nothing earth shattering
Emmitt's Samba was one of the best I've seen in a long time. the guy has terrific latin rhythm

I really wasn't a fan of that cheerleading routine. I say that as a former cheerleader, the tricks were messy and the dancing was secondary (again this is Derek's mo this season) to the tricks. The men's outfits were hideous. football pants, really? they look like they belong in a gay bathhouse.

Last edited by Andiethewestie; 10-22-2012 at 11:01 PM..
Old 10-22-2012, 11:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andiethewestie View Post
Kirstie did a respectable job on the Quickstep, nothing earth shattering.
Actually, I thought it was remarkably good technically, at least for Kirstie. I was surprised she didn't go for more comedy in the dancing, but surprised in a good way. I don't think her fans will like it, but I thought it really was one of her best dances.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:20 PM
Charter Member

Whoever dressed Sabrina should be ashamed of themself. I know she doesn't have a conventional dancer body, but that made the worst of it. Still, I liked that dance in spite of itself (and that they started out out of sync). Of the four, Apolo & Karina's part was the weakest.
I liked the other dances, too. But nothing seemed spectacular.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:31 PM

The celebs seem nervous about this weeks voting. Fans may forget to vote since the dancing is split over two nights and no elimination.

I voted online for Melissa and Sabrina even though their dances are Tues. Not sure if I can vote for them again (online) Tues or not.

Last edited by aceplace57; 10-22-2012 at 11:32 PM..
Old 10-23-2012, 09:12 AM

I didn't vote last night since I wasn't sure if that would use up all this week's votes or not. If not, I halved my possible votes by not doing so, I guess. Hm. Didn't think that one all the way through.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENugent View Post
Actually, I thought it was remarkably good technically, at least for Kirstie. I was surprised she didn't go for more comedy in the dancing, but surprised in a good way. I don't think her fans will like it, but I thought it really was one of her best dances.
I guess it was good for Kirstie because she rarely makes it all the way through a Ballroom dance. There's usually shoe or American Woman type nonsense so it absolves her of proper technique. What I'm not crazy about is Maks' choreography or the way you can drive a truck between the two of them. That's not even close to good dance position. Like Hough and Shawn, this is biggest problem I have with Latin dancers feining good Ballroom.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I guess it was good for Kirstie because she rarely makes it all the way through a Ballroom dance. There's usually shoe or American Woman type nonsense so it absolves her of proper technique. What I'm not crazy about is Maks' choreography or the way you can drive a truck between the two of them. That's not even close to good dance position. Like Hough and Shawn, this is biggest problem I have with Latin dancers feining good Ballroom.
That's funny, because my biggest problem with Latin dancers feigning good standard is when they glue themselves together, arch their backs to create an artificially big top, then try to move while shoving each other. I would much rather see distance between a couple where each member is on their own balance. (The other thing I hate is the way the men all stretch their left arm out to make themselves look bigger, dragging their partner in front of them. The left elbow should be a 90-degree angle, and the size should be happening on their right, not their left.)
Old 10-23-2012, 04:26 PM

My dance instructor always taught me tummies together and then a gentle roll back to dance position, arms up and shoulders relaxed. Properly connected you should balance on your own. Agree that Latin dancers are too angular so the shapes are boxy instead of flowing. But I also want to see appropriate dance position that allows movement as one, and that's no where near achievable when so far apart.

Last edited by Andiethewestie; 10-23-2012 at 04:27 PM..
Old 10-23-2012, 06:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
But I also want to see appropriate dance position that allows movement as one, and that's no where near achievable when so far apart.
Really? I know, these are professionals, not celebrities. But I think they've got the "movement as one" covered, without sticking their tummies together. I agree that Kristie and Max are too far apart, but I would vastly prefer a few inches of distance with each member of the couple dancing on their own balance, and I think that's fully achievable.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:02 PM

What... did I just watch.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:24 PM

Where was the main character in the Gangnam Style dance? He's central to the whole thing. At first I thought Emmitt was playing him but then it just turned into a blur of dancers. I didn't see much of the original dance at all. I was expecting Kelly to be the sexy lady the Gangmam dude seduces. But that didn't happen. What a disappointment.

I loved Sabrina's waltz. She nailed the elegant sophistication. Melissa did pretty good too. I wasn't thrilled with the choreography. The Tango just didn't have the movement that I expected.

Shawn danced well but I didn't see much passion in that Rumba. It was the same cold dance style she always does.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:58 PM

Ok, now that I've had time to process THAT nonsense...

There's no way the scores for that group dance were anything close to fair. The "Call Me Maybe" dance was coordinated, skillful, and entertaining. The "Oppa Gagnam Style" dance was indeed a total hot mess - one that was amusing to watch, but mostly in the same way watching people fail the Cinnamon Challenge on Youtube is amusing. And Kirstie/Maks was painful.

This is a freaking dance competition. That was... I don't even know.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:21 PM

The individual dances were pretty good overall. Len was right in criticizing Shawn's Rumba. No hip action at all. Derek cleverly diverted attention with the heavy fog and elevated set.

Apolo did a very technical Samba. Karina really made him work this week. Some of those moves were pro level. Apolo did pretty good considering the tough choreography.

Lets all pretend the Gangnam Group dance never happened? It was just a figment of our imagination.

Last edited by aceplace57; 10-23-2012 at 11:24 PM..
Old 10-23-2012, 11:55 PM

Gangnam group number? It was announced but never happened.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:51 AM

Gangnam happened. Wish it hadn't. It was beyond awful. Still the judges all gave them 9's.
Much better dances tonight than last night. My personal favorite was Sabrina and Louie's waltz. Seemed to flow beautifully. Loved Derek's choreography for Titanic number. Shawn didn't emote as well as the actresses in the group, but she is leaps and bounds over how she used to be.

Judges scores were way weird. Everyone tonight got 27 with Sabrina getting a 29.5. Carrie was just downright nasty and pickier than usual. Derek and Shawn had a catch that she ruled a lift and scored them down for it. An 8. Puleese.

Anyway, after the over the top performances last week, this week was bound to be a little bit of a let down. Next week will hopefully be back to their high standards.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:53 AM

I'm thinking the bottom three this week was Kirstie, Emmitt and Kelly. But they have a chance to redeem themselves next week.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:08 AM
Charter Member

Wow.
That was just awful. Multiple levels of awful. On the chance that any of them make it to the finals, they should be very worried about their freestyle choreography because that was terrible. There wasn't a single redeeming feature of that dance.

As for the rest, I liked the rumba. I thought Sabrina's arm choreography was weird. And neither the samba or tango wowed me.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:39 AM

Just re-watched the dances and Emmitt and Cheryl did not do samba roll in their routine. Karina made a big deal about that when rehearsing with Apolo, saying how it is a basic samba move that the judges would be expecting to see. So why then did Emmitt receive a 29? Apolo's routine was infinitely harder, yet judged harshly receiving only a 27.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:09 AM

I freakin loved the Gangnam Style! The audience was entertained and it had so many fun references to the video. Thank heavens people can lighten up on this show. I sure as hell loved it over a bunch of so called "technical" cheerleaders. Leave it to a cheerleader and a cheetah to choreograph something you'd see in highschool. Besides it's been done before and better. Kym Johnson's cheerleader/drumline freestyle was so much better and more creative in Season 12. Gangham is all the rage because it's ridiculous, and the team did ridiculous justice.

As for the other dancing:

Shawn did something resembling a Rumba but no Rumba to be found. Absolutely no hip action. I'm sure Derek made sure they kept the camera off her vacant face, because one shot was all it took to know she didn't know what the hell she was supposed to feel, so just don't smile, that will do it. The catch was a lift, since in Rumba you can never have assisted two feet off the ground, if Derek didn't assist her, she'd be over the edge of the stage.

Apolo did a very ambitious Samba, but I fault Karina for putting in bachacatas, when Apolo clearly can't do them. Rule one of good choreography, never make a dancer look awkward, and those brief moments that Bruno commented on happend precisely because she choreographed it right in front of the judges. As for Carrie Ann she's on crack, Apolo had a very fun personality out there. But Len gave the appropriate score 9.5 tying him with Gilles and Emmitt and Sabrina.

Melissa Rycroft's feet were simply horrible in the Tango, I was shocked there was no mention of the footwork, very messy, no heel leads, she simply got dragged around by Tony in frame. Also there was no staccato. I guess that's an accomplishment.

Sabrina Bryan's dance was a little over the top, for me it requires softeness of movement through the topline and she's still pushing it a little too hard, the footwork was clean and very nice to see.

Last edited by Andiethewestie; 10-24-2012 at 09:10 AM..
Old 10-24-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by running piglet cheese View Post
Just re-watched the dances and Emmitt and Cheryl did not do samba roll in their routine. Karina made a big deal about that when rehearsing with Apolo, saying how it is a basic samba move that the judges would be expecting to see. So why then did Emmitt receive a 29? Apolo's routine was infinitely harder, yet judged harshly receiving only a 27.
I don't think you heard Karina correctly. It's an advanced move that the audience appreciates when it's done well. Apolo did it pretty well. But putting in advanced moves only makes it easier to make mistakes, like he did on the bachacatas. Even Derek Hough wouldn't let Nicole Scherzinger the so called ringer of season 10 do bachacatas because they're very difficult to do and she would have struggled with them.
It takes smart choreography to play up a celebrities strengths, as Cheryl plays up Emmitt's natural rhythm for Samba, rather than advanced moves that can easily knock points off if not clean.

Last edited by Andiethewestie; 10-24-2012 at 09:23 AM..
Old 10-24-2012, 11:31 AM

Louis and Karina (his former International dance partner) both insist on putting difficult moves in their choreography. They are former champions and don't settle for 2nd rate anything. It does bite them on the ass once in awhile. The judges are much harsher on a failed advanced moves than not doing one at all. Difficulty of routine means nothing to these judges.

That's why I've always disliked Derek. Not only does he keep the moves simple but he often doesn't even bother doing the assigned dance. Like Shawn's non-Rumba last night. I'm guessing he couldn't get her hips going in rehearsal so he just skipped that part of the dance. He puts her out there in a sheet, cue the fog machine and it's showtime! The judges lap it up and rarely say anything. He's gotten a lot of mirrorballs that way. But I respect Louis and Karina a lot more as real competition dancers.

Last edited by aceplace57; 10-24-2012 at 11:36 AM..
Old 10-24-2012, 12:24 PM

I agree about Derek,particularly this season as we're getting far too much gym time in dances that should never be about gymnastics, but I think Louis often pushes the envelope too much with difficult choreography and his celebriites end up looking awkward. He's had a lot of "deer in the headlights" moments from a lot of his celebs. Sabrina is the first one who can take it on, but she's a choreographer herself and has a shorthand dance vocabularly to make it work.

I think Karina sufficiently dumbed down the choreo for JR to look good, again, JR has a natural rhythm for Samba like Emmitt so you take advantage of that rather than complicated technical dancing to put across a strong performance.

Last edited by Andiethewestie; 10-24-2012 at 12:27 PM..
Old 10-24-2012, 12:33 PM

Totally agree. Sabrina is handling Louis's choreography really well. Kelly Osbourne did too on a few dances. But Kelly did get overwhelmed a few times. Louis got too ambitious with the choreography. <shrug> Kelly had no chance against Donny Osmond anyhow. America loves the Osmonds.

Karina and J.R. were a great pair. It's a shame he's not on All Stars.

Last edited by aceplace57; 10-24-2012 at 12:34 PM..
Old 10-25-2012, 12:41 AM

Hilarious! Psy creator of Gangnam Style tweeted this about Brooke Burke
https://twitter.com/psy_oppa/status/261312564363935744
Old 10-25-2012, 03:29 PM

betting odds week 6

Shawn Johnson

1/1

Emmitt Smith

7/2

Gilles Marini

9/2

Apolo Anton Ono

6/1

Kelly Monaco

10/1

Melissa Rycroft

33/1

Sabrina Bryan

50/1

Kirstie Alley

75/1
Old 10-26-2012, 11:06 AM

Maybe I don't understand odds, but if Shawn Johnson is 1/1, how can anybody be anything but 0?
Old 10-26-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Time First Time View Post
Maybe I don't understand odds, but if Shawn Johnson is 1/1, how can anybody be anything but 0?
If you put $1 on Shawn to win, and she does, you get $1 . If you put $1 on Kirstie to win, and she does, you get $75.

At least that's my understanding of it.

Obviously, Shawn is the fave, but nothing is guaranteed. the judges really do seem to love her,though.

Personally the only way I can tell the difference between Shawn and Sabrina is that Shawn spends more time in the air.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:25 PM

Yeah, the betting odds are really only a snap shot if the finale were held next week based on the bets taken. It tells us the likelyhood of winning and as the odds get smaller the greater the odds of winning. So 1/1 is even odds. Shawn would be most likely to walk away with the mirror ball. If you placed a dollar on her you would get a dollar plus the initial bet so you net $2. But there is still a return on the bet. Sometimes the odds of winning are so strong you get no return. Shawn's not there yet, and the rumba did have mixed reviews.
For Kirstie, bet a dollar, if she wins you get $75 plus your inital bet so you'd net $76 so if you bet $1000 dollars on her you'd stand to win some money if she won.

For me the more interesting bet would be someone like Kelly Monaco who started very low, but gained substantially and she's only slipped this week. 10/1 if you bet some decent money on her, you might see a great return if she ends up with the mirror ball. It may be a risk betting on Sabrina or Melissa, then again they could have a week that makes the fans love them and there would be a big payday.

Last edited by Andiethewestie; 10-26-2012 at 01:28 PM..
Old 10-26-2012, 02:03 PM

Interesting. Are these odds that they actually win the whole thing? If I put my money on Kelly today, and she blows everyone away with the next few dances and ends up winning, will my payoff for her change as the odds change, or will I still get 10/1?
Old 10-26-2012, 02:39 PM

I'm not a bookie, but I think the bet you place today is the one that is honored at the end. it is the odds to win.

Last edited by Andiethewestie; 10-26-2012 at 02:40 PM..
Old 10-29-2012, 07:28 PM

Can I just say... Louis crying at Sabrina's lovely rhumba... that was kinda amazing.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:39 PM

Nothing really knocked my socks off, though the group number was a lot of fun.

I gave five of my votes to Apolo and Karina, which was the number I liked best, and the other three to Melissa and Tony because I want them to be able to stay in.