The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 10-29-2012, 09:44 PM

Watching Kirstie in that group dance was PAINFUL. She looked fine in her individual dance (fine, not great, but okay) but in the group dance it was so obvious how tired and not-up-to-it she was. Time for her to GO.
Advertisements  
Old 10-29-2012, 09:46 PM
Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space

Yeah, those were some serious mercy points.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:01 PM

IMO Apolo's dance was the best tonight followed closely by Sabrina's and Shawn's. Overall a fun and enjoyable night. Group dance was fun too.

What was with Giles' pants. Totally not with the country theme by a long shot. Couldn't really get into his dance because I was so distracted by the costume.

Think Kirstie or Kelly will be voted off. We'll see.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:20 PM

I'm a little stunned at seeing Emmitt lose his cool. He's always so calm and professional no matter what the show does. I wondered if he had a fever with all the heavy sweating in rehearsal. I guess he's human after all. This was the first week where his dancing just didn't measure up with the others. I hope he gets it back together next week.

Melissa and Sabrina were my favorites of the night. Really good dances that gave them time to show some emotions. Tony's choreography just keeps getting better and better. Louis finally found a way to get past Sabrina's tough exterior. She's so pretty dancing softer and with emotion.

I didn't like the group dance. It seemed like no one was dancing in sync. Some of the solos were pretty good, but overall it just wasn't very impressive.

I hope Shawn's knee is ok. She seemed so sad and out of it after the group dance. I even saw her wipe away a tear after the judge's comments. I hope she wasn't in pain.

Last edited by aceplace57; 10-29-2012 at 10:22 PM..
Old 10-29-2012, 10:48 PM
Charter Member

I enjoyed Melissa's and Sabrina's individual dances the most tonight, and thought Melissa and Kelly were the most fun to watch in the group dance. Kelly actually showed a little personality.

I hope Shawn's okay too. I'm getting tired of Len always finding some reason to underscore her. An eight and a half for that dance was ridiculous.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:55 PM

Yes! and the reasoning behind the 8.5 was the props. What about the trees (lots) and fire in Tony and Melissa's routine, or the wagon in Kelly's? Made no sense whatsoever.
Totally over scored Kirstie IMO. She's nice and funny, but she needs to go home.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:32 AM
Charter Member

How did Giles end up dancing to "Man, I feel like a woman"? That's just wrong on so many levels - almost as wrong as his guppy faces. I liked him his season, this season, I like him a little less every week.

Sabrina's expression looked like she'd pulled something when she was trying to express "intensity." It didn't work for me.

I liked Melissa's and was pleasantly surprised.

Agree with Carrie Ann that Shawn's solo was underwhelming. But one of the things I do like about her is that she does stay so in synch with Derek. The choreography can put them side by side and it never looks like she's off or doesn't quite remember what comes next.

I hate Apolo's song - plus, dancing to a cancer scare makes that song choice even worse than than the song choice for Giles. I also thought his expression was really odd during his solo and from time to time throughout the dance. I'm blaming the song.

Both Kirstie & Emmet were off in the group dance, but overall it was also the least embarrassing full group dances they've had in more than a few seasons.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:06 AM

Ugh, I hate Apolo's song, too. I have the CD, but always skip it. I feel so manipulated because it actually makes me cry, while simultaneously making me annoyed at crying.

I LOVED Sabrina and Melissa tonight. They both had gorgeous dances! I also really liked Shawn's dance, but agree that the solo was pretty lame. She just kind of stood there and shook her shoulders - I can only assume she was trying to take it easy on her knee, even if it didn't seem like she was in the rest of the dance. Even so, she deserved higher scored than Len gave, and his reasons didn't make a lot of sense.

I enjoyed the group number while they were together. I wasn't very impressed by anyone's solo, though. I probably would've given the extra points to Kelly, they seemed the most together and least hectic. I have no idea why they gave the points to Kirstie. If they wanted to give out mercy points, they should've gone to Kelly. She could really use them to stick around, and it should be Kirstie that goes, not Kelly.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:52 AM

Yeah, Gilles's whole number was odd, odd, odd. That outfit was ... who picked that?
Old 10-30-2012, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twickster View Post
Yeah, Gilles's whole number was odd, odd, odd. That outfit was ... who picked that?
That actually kind of made sense - it was supposed to be reminiscent of the video. Remember the "Addicted to Love" video? "Man! I feel like a woman" was supposed to be the inverse and the men in the video wore, more or less, that.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarinth View Post
That actually kind of made sense - it was supposed to be reminiscent of the video. Remember the "Addicted to Love" video? "Man! I feel like a woman" was supposed to be the inverse and the men in the video wore, more or less, that.
Well the problem with that is taking the spirit of the song and re-interpreting it for Cha Cha. It was just all kinds of awkward imho, whereas the Robert Palmer song, did not take the costumes literally, it just was a sexy dance.

Last edited by Andiethewestie; 10-30-2012 at 10:30 AM..
Old 10-30-2012, 10:30 AM

Ah. If I'd ever seen the video, I'd forgotten about it. I knew Peta's top hat was a nod to Shania, but had forgotten the rest of it.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:35 AM

I am sorry Gilles looked totally gay and this was awkward for Country night.. It felt more like Frankenfurter in Rocky Horror Picture Show, and I almost expected him to wear the corsette. He might as well have, given he's dancing far to feminine. They FINALLY pointed out the arms that I've been harping on since the Foxtrot. And the legs were a little ungainly not sharp.

Apolo and Karina can't stand each other. At least that's the vibe I got during the package, and I don't think all the masking it in the world is going to change it. That whole business about Apolo being sick last week , only Karina said it, interesting how he never mentioned it, and now I suspect that's why he didn't do the media, he needed space. I thought the VWaltz was quite good, but Apolo still isn't vulnerable. I saw a distance there I didn't see last week. Yes he did a very nice routine (I thought Melissa was much better) but he's got a fanbase that's going to keep him around to the end.

Shawn and Derek come on, the tricks again... a lift in the routine and not one word about it, except Len referenced the "trickster". Now if you can find the cha cha you get a cookie, because side by side country line dancing isn't cha cha. Wow. Her solo was awful, I mean this girl is a zombie dancer, gets the steps down like a stepford wife, but absolutely no emotion.

Kelly and Val, I just love Val's choreography. How tough was that? Viennese crosses, contrabody checks, the whole nine years. Wow. I'm not sure that Kelly kept up and her legs are spongy as opposed to taut and precise and the dance position faded here and there, but I loved their costumes. Definitely Scarlett and Rhett and that was so dang cool.

Melissa and Tony Now this is a Viennese Waltz I understood. She is a lovely dancer and this is in her wheelhouse of ballet. Her solo was really nice. These two floated, and I could tell they genuinely LIKE each other.

Sabrina and Louis while I'm sure there's lots of emotion there, the girl just wants to ramrod through a routine. It was Rumba though, finally and I appreciated it. The crying was a bit out there, I thought it was more about fear of going home than some drugged out ex-boyfriend.

Kirstie and Maks This is a definitive Maks' rumba and while it was good, it's been done better by Laila Ali, Mel B and Brandy. Kirstie did lose hip action on the opening outs, Len saw it and that was a good catch.

Emmitt and Cheryl Islands In the Stream just wasn't the song Rhinestone Cowboy could have been, I was sort of hoping that he'd do a "Cowboy" tune for obvious reasons. It was lacklustre and a little flat footed in spots. If Emmitt was Rhinestoned out in the Dallas Cowboy's colors it would have got a lot more visual impact to put that dance across. I'm not sure why he's shy about that, I remember both Hines in particular and Donald weren't afraid of the colors. He came alive on the solo though, that was absolutely great and that was by far the best solo of the night.

Last edited by Andiethewestie; 10-30-2012 at 10:36 AM..
Old 10-30-2012, 10:54 AM

Pretty much in agreement with most of your comments. Emmitt has lost his pizzazz somewhere along the line and all his dances are starting to look alike. Did love his solo though. Lots of energy.

Giles' outfit was picked by Peta and I totally agree about the inappropriateness of the decision. Especially on country western night. Any guy wearing that outfit to a cw bar would probably end up with beer dumped on his head and shown the door. What in the world were they thinking?

I think the exhaustion factor is going to become apparent more and more. As routines become more intricate and the pressure to improve mounts even more, they will need to spend more time in the studio. And for those with other job commitments this will become a problem. I think it is already starting to show with Giles and Kelly. I totally do not envy any of them.

As far as Derek and Shawn go, yes he does like to put in the tricks, but that's what the viewing audience and voters love. I personally don't have any dance experience and I'm sure most people watching don't either so we have no idea if something is a cha-cha or not. All we know is that it looks cool and it's fun to watch. Derek has the ability to give the audience what they love in his routines which is why he usually ends up winning or at least in the final four.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:49 PM

Ugh. I HATE the way they're doing this elimination. And I can already tell I hate the result.

How the hell is Kirstie still here :-/
Old 10-30-2012, 08:20 PM

All the pros are drained and exhausted. Mark coming in fresh next week will have an advantage. He's rehearsed with Shawn before and replacing Derek won't be a problem. If Derek returns then he'll be rested too. I'm sure the other pros are painfully aware of that.

After tonight I need to think long and hard if I want to finish watching this season. I'm so disgusted with the elimination. It makes a joke out of even calling this a dance show. She was the leader board winner the last two weeks in a row. It's pretty hard to have any respect for the show at all. It's a bad joke at this point.

The only reason to continue watching is Melissa and Tony. Even though I know they have absolutely no chance of winning. I am curious to see how long it takes America to chase off the 2nd best dancer that's appeared on dwts.

Last edited by aceplace57; 10-30-2012 at 08:24 PM..
Old 10-30-2012, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
After tonight I need to think long and hard if I want to finish watching this season. I'm so disgusted with the elimination. It makes a joke out of even calling this a dance show. When you slap down the leader board winner two weeks in a row then it's pretty hard to have any respect for the show at all. It's a bad joke at this point.
I am right there with you.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:47 PM

I just wonder how much those two points from the group dance helped Kirstie. I'm guessing it was a lot since the judges are giving out half points in the solos.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:53 PM

I'm a day behind thanks to Sandy - fortunately everyone I know here on the East Coast is AOK!

I honestly don't know if it's hurricane emotions or what, but - and I say this as a lifelong hater of "country" anything - I fucking LOVED this night!! Yeah, there were weak moments in every performance but I genuinely enjoyed it.

Question out of left field: how many of you who follow this thread throughout the seasons are dancers? I'm just curious. Me, I've been playing around with ballroom, salsa and swing (mostly WC) for about 12 years. Performed in 8 showcases, no competition. Just for fun. How about youse?
Old 10-30-2012, 09:17 PM

I danced in a few college plays. Met my wife in a dance club and we still go out when there's time.

Most of the styles on dwts are new to me. I learned some cha cha and jive steps in my theater classes. But, it's been twenty years since I did any.

Last edited by aceplace57; 10-30-2012 at 09:17 PM..
Old 10-30-2012, 09:56 PM

Just a fan.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:04 PM

Well Team Gangnam smoked Team Cheerleader, 3 cheerleaders left and the choreographer of Team Cheerleader goes home.

I'd say that's a vindication for having a bit of fun and not taking yourself so seriously. It's a dance show for pity sakes. Sabrina made it a life or death thing, and ugh, the desperation is a little draining. I knew there was a reason for the blubbering the night before, they knew they were probably tracking low just as she did in season 5.

Even though Apolo is "not necessarily" the bottom 2, he's been down there once before and I wonder if they're trying to whip up the support for him.

Next week sounds like fun and the pressure isn't quite as bad as no elimination. I am glad the "fusion" dances are at least Ballroom or Latin.

Last edited by Andiethewestie; 10-30-2012 at 10:04 PM..
Old 10-30-2012, 10:05 PM

Sorry, to answer the questions, yes I've taken ballroom and latin dancing. International syllabus.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:12 PM
Charter Member

Yes, I'm a former Eastern US Amateur Smooth champion.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:50 PM

Andie, the choreographer for Team Cheerleader was Derek and he didn't go home.

I'm just a fan, but I love dancing.

I don't decide whether or not to watch a show because of something I can't control like popularity voting. I just watch if I'm entertained or mentally stimulated. Obviously, mental doesn't enter the picture here, but I am entertained. There are many good dancers that I look forward to watching and this season is full of many more than usual.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:55 PM

Also just a fan. Everything I know about how a particular dance is "supposed" to look, I've learned from this show.

I know that makes me less critical of dances that don't necessary follow the rules. For that, I do put weight on the judges comments of how well they followed the style. But, in the end, I vote mostly on what entertains ME. And Sabrina entertained me. I'm very sad to see her go.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orderfire View Post
Question out of left field: how many of you who follow this thread throughout the seasons are dancers? I'm just curious. Me, I've been playing around with ballroom, salsa and swing (mostly WC) for about 12 years. Performed in 8 showcases, no competition. Just for fun. How about youse?
Partner dancing? swing and salsa (social, not competition) for years, some tango, a tiny bit of ballroom.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
After tonight I need to think long and hard if I want to finish watching this season. I'm so disgusted with the elimination. It makes a joke out of even calling this a dance show. She was the leader board winner the last two weeks in a row. It's pretty hard to have any respect for the show at all. It's a bad joke at this point.

I am curious to see how long it takes America to chase off the 2nd best dancer that's appeared on dwts.
I think you're confused about the show's premise. It's not a dance competition, per se. It's dancing WITH STARS - if you want to consider Palin a star. The idea is to take celebrities and teach them to dance. They make no bones at all about this being a popularity contest with rhinestones and steps.

It sucks when a favorite person of one of the better dances is eliminated. But it's not like it's a serious dance competition that took a wrong turn. It is what it is.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:16 AM

Just a fan. I do the White Man's Overbite at weddings, and that's it.

Sabrina has got to be feeling a little bit hurt today. Twice she's been a judge's favorite, and twice the voting public has given her a big rousing "meh". It was ironic that she thanked her fans...she apparently doesn't have any. Hard not to take this personally.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENugent View Post
Yes, I'm a former Eastern US Amateur Smooth champion.
I didn't know that, cool!

Interesting that the bottom of the leaderboard people all made it through, due, presumably, to their very strong fan bases. Kelly's is a juggernaut -- it gave her the championship S1, despite the fact that she was outdanced by John O'Hurley -- and apparently they still love her. The fact that she and Val are just freaking adorable together doesn't hurt either.

Time for Kirstie to go home also, though. Poor woman is exhausted and no one is doing her any favors by forcing her to continue.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:15 PM

I guess the surprise factor makes this weeks elimination so hard to take. Being top of the leaderboard the last two weeks usually means security. I think maybe some fans slacked off voting because they thought she'd be ok this week. I think she was slowly winning fans by showing a softer side. But, the other celebs came into the show with more fans and they've kept them.

I've split my votes between Sabrina and Melissa all season. Now they all go for Melissa.

Last edited by aceplace57; 10-31-2012 at 12:19 PM..
Old 10-31-2012, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twick-or-tweetster View Post
Time for Kirstie to go home also, though. Poor woman is exhausted and no one is doing her any favors by forcing her to continue.
I've felt the same way, yet she's always so excited to find out she's been saved for another week. You'd think she'd be clenching her fists and muttering "Oh, shit!" under her breath instead.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:00 PM

Whether we want her back or not, I'm sure Sabrina will be on week 8. Apparently that is return of the "Trio" dances and rather than a pro selected for this, an eliminated star or former star is selected. So in additon to Sabrina, we'll probably see Drew and Helio in for an encore performance.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starving Artist View Post
I've felt the same way, yet she's always so excited to find out she's been saved for another week. You'd think she'd be clenching her fists and muttering "Oh, shit!" under her breath instead.
Given her after the show interviews she seems determined to go the distance. Is she great? no, but you gotta admire the tenacity up against people that could be her grandkids, and she's pretty funny at times. She is by far the most successful over 60 something that's been on this show, and by that standard I am glad she's still there.

Yes Sabrina went out there and showed people a thing or two, but really as Peta said, Sabrina could right now audition for the troupe, there is NO difference in her dancing. The woman is a choreographer, that's why the tongue baths from the pros, but the public doesn't see someone who's been parachuted in with much fanfare necessarily that appealing competing against people who are legitimate stars of their profession, like Emmitt Smith hall of famer and all time leading Rusher, Apolo Ohno most winningest winter Olympian of all time... Emmy winner Kirstie Alley... yeah, as fans people want to see legitimate stars, and I don't blame them
Old 10-31-2012, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andiethewestie View Post
Given her after the show interviews she seems determined to go the distance. Is she great? no, but you gotta admire the tenacity up against people that could be her grandkids, and she's pretty funny at times. She is by far the most successful over 60 something that's been on this show, and by that standard I am glad she's still there.
Yeah, she's always been pretty funny. Ted Danson said years ago that she was one of the funniest people he'd ever known. I liked her crack about the "Vietnamese Waltz." I think it's especially surprising that she's been doing as well as she has given that she spent so many years being much heavier than she is now. I'm sure she's been doing some conditioning along with her weight loss efforts the last few years, but it's tough going to get back into shape when you're older and have been grossly overweight for a long time. I've really come to have a fair amount of respect for her due to this show.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by running piglet cheese View Post
Andie, the choreographer for Team Cheerleader was Derek and he didn't go home.
I'm not sure if I answered this before, but there's an On the Red Carpet Interview wherein Louis explains that Sabrina did all the Hip Hop choreography of that routine, and was assisting Melissa with the cheerleader stuff, and she was counting the timing for the girls. Sounds like a lot of major choreography for a routine that was mostly cheerleading and hip hop.

Last edited by Andiethewestie; 11-05-2012 at 02:15 PM..
Old 11-05-2012, 02:17 PM

Betting Odds for Week 7

Shawn Johnson
10/11 or 1.91/1

Emmitt Smith
13/4 or 4.25/1

Gilles Marini
7/2 or 4.5/1

Apolo Anton Ohno
9/1

Kelly Monaco
10/1

Melissa Rycroft
40/1

Kirstie Alley
66/1
Old 11-05-2012, 10:47 PM

Well I don't know how betting odds work, so the last post doesn't mean much to me. I truly enjoyed the fusion dances. Thought it presented a real challenge to the dancers, but for choreography and execution.

My fav's were Shawn/Mark, Apolo/Karina, and Melissa. I don't have a huge liking for Melissa, but I have to admit that she is a good dancer.

Also loved the marathon. Kelly and Melissa were the best in that they danced through it all.

Well, double elimination next week because of election this week. GO VOTE everybody.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:03 PM

I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the fusion dances. I didn't realize fusion is a modern style that the pros were comfortable choreographing. Really, this week was just a notch harder than learning a new ballroom dance for the celebrities.

Melissa & Tony are still just a hair way from perfect scores. I enjoyed their dance best tonight.

Ballas & Shawn were really good too. The Marathon was fun and I saw some good moves.

Last edited by aceplace57; 11-05-2012 at 11:04 PM..
Old 11-05-2012, 11:37 PM

I think Melissa and Tony are a hair from getting the boot and that's why they were severely overscored tonight. Melissa should never Tango again. I like the girl, but geez, that was just as bad as it was the week previous. Absolutely no heel leads, everything on the toes, and a very awkward dip at the end. That definitely was not a good dance, nor was it a true fusion like Shawn Gilles or Emmitt's dances. putting 10 sec of Tango on the end of a cha cha isn't doing fusion. That's what's known as a segue.

and the Swing Marathon shoulda went to Val and Kelly. Melissa has been warming up for weeks doing the same swing moves in the Jitterbug, and the inbetween dancing was meh... Kelly is not a cheerleader or a dancer and that lady just is fearless. Val's choreography was very entertaining to watch. He's a far better choreographer than Tony.

But obviously this night was to keep Melissa in this, she's not getting the vote.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:31 AM

She got mine, this week.

Like SYTYCD, DWTS is not really about the best dancer, it's about your favorite dancer. Right now I'm rooting for Melissa and Kelly -- most entertaining to watch, most likeable partnerships.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:13 AM

It's Trio time. OK, pull your dirty minds off those possibilities.

It's a stupid gimmick they came up with last season. Remember Katherine Jenkins and the Velcro pantsuit that didn't pull off?

Note that superman Derek is planning to dance. He just tweeted his doc reviewed the MRI asked how many car wrecks he'd been in. I guess risking paralysis is ok for a stupid reality show? <shrug> It's his neck. I'm just amazed any doctor would sign off on a medical clearance.

Quote:
Kirstie & Maks + Tristan MacManus

Kelly & Val + Louis Van Amstel

Emmitt & Cheryl + Kym Johnson

Apolo & Karina + Sasha Farber

Melissa & Tony + Henry Byalikov

Gilles & Peta + Chelsie Hightower

Shawn & Derek + Mark Ballas
http://www.puredwts.com/2012/11/06/d...the-trios-are/

Last edited by aceplace57; 11-06-2012 at 09:18 AM..
Old 11-06-2012, 09:22 AM

Apolo was my favorite to win it coming in, but he seems to be forcing too much.

This week Shawn looked human, I don't see her winning it all. Maybe that's because she was with Mark instead of Derick.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:56 AM

I agree re: Apolo, absolutely loved him during his season, this time he just doesn't seem to be having the same degree of fun. And, if he has Jive this next go round with camera hog Sasha? I worry for him. Jive was Apolo's poorest dance season 4.

Shawn just doesn't do it for me at all. Yes exacting step sequences is what she does for a living, but I've yet to see her come out of her comfort zone of gymnastics. Good thing the judges FINALLY realized it and did not award her for doing gymnastics instead of dancer's lifts in the Swing. As for the Trio, it's wonderkids v.2... no emotion just robotic flips and tricks.

I thought some of the best entertainment was during the Trio dances last season. I think Emmitt and Cheryl and Kym are going to do something really fun, if I remember last time Karina and Peta and Donald Driver brought the house down, so Emmitt if he has Salsa or Jive will be great entertainment. Kym is brilliant with her football players and I'm looking forward to this.

I figure Kirstie and Maks and Tristan will be a total boytoy thing, comical but unfortunately not a particularly good use of Tristan's abilities.

I would have preferred a lover's triangle between Kelly Val and Tristan.. they could have played that up to the hilt, instead we get Louis, who no doubt is a wonderful dancer, but not a romantic lead the way MacManus is.

Gilles Peta and Chelsie - Chelsie is going to have to turn up the sex o meter for this one, but two blondes on either side of the Frenchman could be good fun.

Melissa Tony and Henry- well Henry doesn't really make an impression on me, the last time was that awful bollywood/bad Samba Menounous mess that just didn't work.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:33 AM
Charter Member

For last night's dances, I liked the ones that went back and forth between the two styles better than the ones that danced the first half of the dance in one style then switched to dance the second half in the other.
Apolo should lose his shirt more often.
I really want Kelly's dance shoes (in black)
Gilles's dance showed that Cheryl is really good at choreographing Argentine tango - their tango during his season was amazing, this tango didn't work for me and the transitions took me out of the dance.
Mark didn't outdance Shawn. Good for both of them!
Old 11-06-2012, 11:46 AM

To be fair, Shawn got a gift getting Tango/ Paso, you have the same intensity all the way through the dance, so of course transitions are going to be super easy to achieve, she didn't have to worry about hip action, rise and fall, change in emotional connection... Plus she's emotionless and that works, I noticed Mark toned down his usual expression in the dance so that he could match the robotic expression on her.

Gilles got a tough one with Samba Argentine Tango, and I thought he coped with it well. Of course it could never have the same impact as doing AT all the way through the dance, especially difficult to find Argentine Tango in that music, compared with the raw emotion of assassin's tango he did with Cheryl, this was bound to be so difficult to perform, and he for the most part nailed it.

Emmitt and Cheryl's Rumba/Samba was deceivingly difficult and he really worked it. Man has the best hip action, and the transitions were pretty seemless.

I disliked anything that had the tear away dress, or tear away jacket (sorry Apolo you have a lovely chest) because it's just so cornball. That's really cheating the true meaning of Fusion dancing. it's all LOOK everybody now we're going to Paso... ugh, we should be able to detect the style within the dance not have a big ol neon sign telling us it's coming.

Last edited by Andiethewestie; 11-06-2012 at 11:49 AM..
Old 11-07-2012, 02:44 PM

Betting Odds for Week 8

Shawn Johnson 5/7 or 58% chance of a win
Emmitt Smith 7/2 or 3.5/1 or 22% chance of a win
Gilles Marini 11/2 or 5.5/1 or 15% chance of a win
Apolo Anton Ohno 9/1 or 10% chance of a win
Kelly Monaco 9/1 or 10% chance of a win
Melissa Rycroft 40/1 2.44% chance of a win
Kirstie Allie 100/1 .99% chance of a win
Old 11-08-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andiethewestie View Post
Betting Odds for Week 8

Shawn Johnson 5/7 or 58% chance of a win
Emmitt Smith 7/2 or 3.5/1 or 22% chance of a win
Gilles Marini 11/2 or 5.5/1 or 15% chance of a win
Apolo Anton Ohno 9/1 or 10% chance of a win
Kelly Monaco 9/1 or 10% chance of a win
Melissa Rycroft 40/1 2.44% chance of a win
Kirstie Allie 100/1 .99% chance of a win
Thank you, Andiethewestie. I'm always confused by betting odds (even when they're explained to me) so I appreciate this breakdown.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:52 AM

I'm surprised that Emmitt was thought second most likely - he seems to be falling off.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:12 PM

Yeah, I don't think Shawn is nearly that much of a shoo-in. As other people get eliminated, their fans will shift around, and I don't think it will necessarily be to Shawn.