The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 11-08-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Time First Time View Post
I'm surprised that Emmitt was thought second most likely - he seems to be falling off.
I really don't "feel" Gilles or Emmitt, frankly. Neither of them do anything for me. They could get rid of those two and Kirstie and I'd be perfectly happy.
Advertisements  
Old 11-08-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Time First Time View Post
I'm surprised that Emmitt was thought second most likely - he seems to be falling off.
Actually, Melissa is considered favorite for 2nd at 44% with Emmitt in third. I don't know what data they use for their predictions as I understand the actual voting numbers are kept confidential.

So double elimination this week. Who do you think will be the two who go home?

I'm going with Kirstie and Kelly.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:37 PM

Just read that Brooke Burke-Charvet has thyroid cancer.

http://news.yahoo.com/dancing-co-hos...212403743.html.

IIIRC, it's one of the more successfully treatable forms of cancer if caught in time. Here's hoping for a full recovery.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:27 PM
Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space

Oh dear. Scary stuff.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:11 PM

I just heard that Tom Bergeron on Entertainment Tonight made a somewhat tearful announcement in which he wished her all the best in her treatment. I didn't see it myself and don't know just how tearful it was or what might meaning might be derived from it - i.e., he might have been just hamming it up for the ratings - but I'm hoping he doesn't have worse news than has been released to the public.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:29 PM

I just did a little surfing, and according to Huffpo anyway it looks like Brooke's known about this for some time and has spent a couple of months getting herself psyched up for the surgery, which she has now scheduled for a few weeks from now. She also says her doctor told her that hers is a "happily ever after kind of thing."

So hopefully this is all correct and she will be fine. My sister's boss had thyroid cancer and has recovered although she struggled for some time with fatigue and getting her meds right. She seems to be doing okay now though as she's running her own exercise studio.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:32 PM

Brooke did a short video talking about her cancer diagnosis. She's a strong lady and I think she'll get through this ok.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yvZuWuSIHU
Old 11-09-2012, 02:50 AM

Just read that Derek Hough will need surgery on neck. He has herniated disc in his neck. Says he will finish the season as it's just causing discomfort (meaning pain) and he can't do it any more harm. That sure is a lot of dedication for a popularity dance competition. I do love Derek, but I hate to see him in so much pain.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:29 PM

I gave three votes to Melissa (though I was bothered by their navy costumes for "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy," in which they specify that the young man in question is "in the army now") and four to Kelly.

Please god, send Kirstie home.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:18 PM

I also voted for Melissa tonight. I had not voted for her before, but she was superb tonight. I also voted for Giles and Apolo. Kirstie doesn't even look like she's trying anymore. Very sloppy. And what was all that nonsense during her interview w/Brooke? She acted like she was drunk or something.

Like the choreography that Derek did for the primitive salsa, but have to agree it didn't much resemble a salsa. More of a freestyle.

Emmit was way over scored. I like Emmit, but his difficulty just isn't on par with the rest.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:18 PM

I loved the Trio dances. Except for that hot mess that Derek did. What the heck is wrong with the guy? Everyone else did a fantastic dance in the style that they were assigned. Why does Derek seem to think Shawn is incapable of performing a proper Samba? It's just flat out insulting to her.

Gave all my votes to Melissa and Tony. They are such a fun couple to watch and they dance so well together.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
I loved the Trio dances. Except for that hot mess that Derek did. What the heck is wrong with the guy? Everyone else did a fantastic dance in the style that they were assigned.
I loved it, though I agree it was more a freestyle than a samba.

Three-point difference between the highest and lowest scores for it -- has there ever been such a big spread before?
Old 11-13-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twickster View Post
I loved it, though I agree it was more a freestyle than a samba.

Three-point difference between the highest and lowest scores for it -- has there ever been such a big spread before?
Not to my recollection.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I loved the Trio dances. Except for that hot mess that Derek did. What the heck is wrong with the guy? Everyone else did a fantastic dance in the style that they were assigned. Why does Derek seem to think Shawn is incapable of performing a proper Samba? It's just flat out insulting to her.
Derek does seem to know how best to present his celeb and is a good judge of their abilities. If he's not having Shawn do a samba, she probably can't do an acceptable one. He's probably calculated enough to know that he's going to dinged on Len's score (everyone knows Len's a stickler), but also knows the audience votes are the deciding factor. I think on this show it's better to do the wrong dance well than to do the absolutely correct dance poorly.

StG
Old 11-13-2012, 09:19 PM

SPOILER:
I'm not surprised that Kirstie went. She's been steadily getting worse week by week. Some of her original season dances were so much better than what she's done in All Stars.

Gilles' elimination is a big surprise. He's been dancing pretty well. But, I've seen comments that his desperate, got to win attitude was irritating fans. Maybe that caught up with him?

I guess it's ok that Apollo is going to the semi-finals. He has gotten better the last few weeks. I was neutral between Gilles and him.

It was a very nice surprise the Emmitt survived to the semi. He's got such a great, positive perspective on all this silliness. I just like seeing him every week.

Overall, I'm happy with tonights results. It could have been a disaster with a double elimination.

Last edited by aceplace57; 11-13-2012 at 09:23 PM..
Old 11-13-2012, 10:26 PM

Agree, on both points. Well, all three points.

SPOILER:
Apolo and Gilles were neck and neck for me -- and Gilles's desperation was really off-putting. Bummer he had to go home, but other than Kirstie, there was no one who was clearly not as good as the other, so it came down to personality and relationship vibe. As Gilles's desperation increased, and Karina's dislike of Apolo either lessened or was hidden better, the vibe advantage tipped to the latter.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:15 PM

Emmitt Smith as Hall of famer is the most famous by far of all the finalists. He may not win, but he's doing well. Also, he is the most balanced of all the finalists. He most always gets saved early, and because of the fanbase he doesn't often get a tongue bath from the judges. I think Apolo constantly being shown in the bottom even if it isn't necessarily the bottom 2 shows they are pimping him for votes. I thought Monday night was rather poor for Apolo. His Tango was no where near as good as his "Jessie Girl" Tango in season 4, his dance position was way off, and the pro showed him up quite noticeably on the Jive.

Moreover they are blatantly pimping Melissa with the scores as she's now the only non-champion in the final 5.

Then they award scores for no Samba. That's ashame, because I want to see Samba I don't want to see African Jazz, so no Derek you're really not that creative to rip off Sean Cheeseman. I was disgusted in that twerp Johnson and her cocky partner. I hate when snot nosed kids think they know it all.

As for Gilles, Karma baby.. you just don''t start off a season bad mouthing others and reek of desperation. I guess his departure was not too surprising.

Last edited by Andiethewestie; 11-13-2012 at 11:18 PM..
Old 11-13-2012, 11:31 PM

I'm so glad that Tony and Melissa are still dancing and going to the semi-finals. I've never seen Tony grinning so much and he's lost weight this season. He must really be working hard. Melissa said a few weeks ago that she was doing this as much for Tony as herself. He's been there since season 1 and never had much of a shot except the seasons with Stacy Keibler and Melissa.

Trying hard to not get my hopes up. At least Tony and Melissa are in the semi-finals and I think that's one of the pay bonus steps? I think everyone in the semi-finals gets rewarded.

Gilles had me the most worried. I wasn't sure just how huge his female fan base was. I thought he might grab the win just based on decent dancing and his fan base. I'm not sure who is the most popular now. I'd think it's between Shawn and Melissa. Apolo just isn't a warm and fuzzy personality. Emmitt's not that great of a dancer.

Like most seasons, I think the Freestyle will make or break the finalists. Melissa and Tony lost their season because of a weak Freestyle. I'm hoping Tony comes up with something a lot better this time.

Last edited by aceplace57; 11-13-2012 at 11:36 PM..
Old 11-14-2012, 12:40 AM

I don't understand how there can be 5 teams in the semi final. Aren't there only 2 or 3 in the final? Does that mean they will lose two more next week?
Old 11-14-2012, 12:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm hoping Tony comes up with something a lot better this time.
I wouldn't count on it - or, perhaps it's just I'm almost always underwhelmed by Tony's choreography. Even when I really like the dancing, it's not because I'm wowed by the choreography, just the execution.

I'm ok with who went home.
And my guesses for next week's songs -
CaveMan Hustle - "Walk the Dinosaur" by Was (not Was)
Big Top Jazz - "Circus" by Britney Spears
Espionage Lindy - "The Man with the Golden Gun" by Lulu (really not likely - but I think it would work)
Surfer Flamenco - Miserlou
But I can't even guess about the Bhangra
Old 11-14-2012, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by running piglet cheese View Post
I don't understand how there can be 5 teams in the semi final. Aren't there only 2 or 3 in the final? Does that mean they will lose two more next week?
Usually three in the final, so maybe a double elimination again next week?
Old 11-14-2012, 08:57 PM

Apparently it will be a double elimination.

Betting odds for Week 9
Shawn Johnson 4/7 or 1.57

Emmitt Smith 5/1 or 6.00

Kelly Monaco 15/2 or 8.50

Melissa Rycroft 15/2 or 8.50

Apolo Ohno 17/2 or 9.50

This week is a shake up. While the odds finally beat Kirstie Alley, the come out of nowhere scoring for Melissa has taken her out of the long shot range and has confounded the odds. From a 40-1 to this has got everyone scratching their heads, because it's highly unusual for the judges to suddenly crown someone who had been a middle dweller for the majority of the competition and not getting the vote. Now, everyone has a legitimate shot, but the odds makers see Apolo in the bottom a number of times and consider him the most vulnerable. Go to the bottom once and the people rally, but going there more times takes away from his strength. Shawn dipped slightly this week but is still the favorite. Emmitt slipped slightly from 4/1 to 5/1 but he's still second place, he's been in that position for a long time.

Gilles leaving was too bad, but I don't blame any fanbase. Think about the show and how it scored Melissa all of a sudden this week. She certainly didn't leap frog up in her ability, the judges propped her up big time. According to the odds, she was a 40-1 longshot to win, only Kirstie Alley was further away. This propping of Melissa allowed her to beat Gilles. this is a shitty way to manipulate the standings, even though he's a pompous ass, Gilles would have left the following week with no help from the show. But the odds makers are still conservative about Melissa despite that score of 99/100 (eyeroll) because her fanbase is weaker.

Last edited by Andiethewestie; 11-14-2012 at 09:00 PM..
Old 11-14-2012, 10:16 PM

I think the judges wanted to keep at least one good dancer for the semi finals. Melissa is the best real dancer left. She did dance extremely well this week. The judges may of been a bit generous, but they also over scored Emmitt.

I'm pretty much prepared to see Shawn win. That's a whole lot of cute in a small package. Derek is the wonder kid that everyone likes. I can't see anyone beating that combination.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:22 AM

I for one pretty much loathe Shawn and Derek and their snot nosed attitudes.
They are not cute, they're annoying. There's no reason to trash a perfectly good dance style to act like assholes. I'd be happy if anyone but them win.

Last edited by Andiethewestie; 11-16-2012 at 10:23 AM..
Old 11-16-2012, 10:36 AM

It's a TV show, Andie. Chill.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:04 AM
Charter Member

Emmitt's dance this week did nothing for me, and the judges scored it so highly. I happen to like Derek and think he always does a good job of showing off his partner (it doesn't hurt that I think he usually gets the most athletic partners).

StG
Old 11-16-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andiethewestie View Post
I for one pretty much loathe Shawn and Derek and their snot nosed attitudes.
They are not cute, they're annoying. There's no reason to trash a perfectly good dance style to act like assholes. I'd be happy if anyone but them win.
I thought their dance was awesome...as a freestyle. I'm not a stickler like Len, so I don't care how close to a samba it actually was.

My only problem with Shawn is she only has one facial expression -- smiling.

Speaking of perky...it seems like that's all Melissa has, too. All her dances are up-tempo: quickstep, jive....has she done a paso or a tango yet this season?
Old 11-16-2012, 02:37 PM

I liked Shawn a lot more in her original season. Mark had just joined the show and he was choreographing legit ballroom & Latin dances for her. She did rely on flips until judge's criticism stopped it. I had high hopes for Shawn in All Stars. But Derek hasn't given her much legit ballroom & Latin choreography. There's been too much freestyle dances.

I have the tiniest hope that Melissa and Tony make the finals. I'm seeing a lot of favorable comments about their fun partnership. No drama. They just dance like crazy. That would be a surprise upset but once in awhile the fun couple gets the votes. I'm hoping Melissa will draw Kirstie's fans and their votes.

Last edited by aceplace57; 11-16-2012 at 02:41 PM..
Old 11-16-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
I have the tiniest hope that Melissa and Tony make the finals. I'm seeing a lot of favorable comments about their fun partnership. No drama. They just dance like crazy. That would be a surprise upset but once in awhile the fun couple gets the votes. I'm hoping Melissa will draw Kirstie's fans and their votes.
I've been voting for them pretty consistently over the last few weeks. Fingers crossed that Tony gets some help with choreography if they make it to the finals.

At this point, they're the only couple still in it who aren't previous champions.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
I thought their dance was awesome...as a freestyle. I'm not a stickler like Len, so I don't care how close to a samba it actually was.

My only problem with Shawn is she only has one facial expression -- smiling.

Speaking of perky...it seems like that's all Melissa has, too. All her dances are up-tempo: quickstep, jive....has she done a paso or a tango yet this season?
They had enough fucking freestyles all season. The truth is this chick did lousy at the Samba the first time so covering up with African bullshit that wasn't even good African jazz was annoying. Throw a fucking aerial in and people will be impressed. Geez. And then to laugh at the one judge that sees through the bullshit, is bullshit.

Last edited by Andiethewestie; 11-17-2012 at 09:39 AM..
Old 11-18-2012, 11:44 PM

Tough season for the pros. Now Tony is hurt. I sure hope his MRI clears him to dance in the semi final.

I blame some of the injuries on these crazy non-standard dances the producers are dreaming up. The pros are winging it and it seems like a recipe for accidents or injuries. Cave Man style for example probably has Tony and Melissa both bent over dancing like Neanderthals.

Quote:
Melissa Rycroft ‏@MelissaRycroft

So...stage rehearsal didn't go so well :-(. @TonyDovolani tweaked his back...Didn't get through dance once

He's getting an MRI tomorrow morning, and we'll play it by ear...Never seen him in pain like this :-/
Old 11-19-2012, 11:04 AM

Oh geez. Hope he's okay!
Old 11-19-2012, 01:48 PM

Your wish is granted Twicks. I guess the show has a orthopedist contracted to take calls? A regular person would never get in and tested this quick.

Whew! Glad he's ok. This team has been the best part of All Stars for me.
Quote:
Tony Dovolani ‏@TonyDovolani

Well .... Good news no bone damage but a sever sprain !!!!!! Pain management Who ever knows me knows the answer to the question about tonight
Quote:
Melissa Rycroft ‏@MelissaRycroft

Good results from MRI! Haven't gotten to practice as much as we'd like, it's ok! We dance 1st and 6th tonight!! Semi Finals, here we come!

Last edited by aceplace57; 11-19-2012 at 01:50 PM..
Old 11-19-2012, 10:14 PM

Everyone danced really well. I have absolutely no clue who the fans will vote into the final. No ones performance tonight was bad enough to warrant a change in votes. I think people will continue voting for whoever they've supported all season.

I do have to admit that Emmitt is just a notch less skilled overall. I'll be quite surprised if he avoids elimination. The 2nd one is up for grabs imho.

Last edited by aceplace57; 11-19-2012 at 10:15 PM..
Old 11-19-2012, 10:33 PM

I thought Apolo was off tonight. He and Karina both were losing their footing in the circus thing.

Loved the finale of the surf flamenco. I laughed and laughed.

I gave three votes to Melissa and Tony and the other two to Kelly and Val.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:25 PM

I loved Emmett's first dance--I think it was my favorite of the night. But I thought everybody did well...maybe Apollo less than he could be.

I also think Carrie Ann called it right on Shawn. There is something missing from her dances, and I don't really see why that should be. Earlier both she and Apollo noted that athletes are trained never to show emotion, which may be true for skaters but boy, I would have never guessed that for the gymnasts. Not for a minute. I'm not quite sure that's it, either, but maybe it is (Carrie Ann is the expert judge, I know nothing).
Old 11-19-2012, 11:34 PM

Everyone was gunning for it tonight. I was disappointed in the Argentine Tangos, both were far too aggressive, thats Ballroom Tango style and it shouldn't be confused with Argentine.
I have no idea who is going home, I enjoyed tonight's show.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilarity N. Suze View Post
I loved Emmett's first dance--I think it was my favorite of the night. But I thought everybody did well...maybe Apollo less than he could be.

I also think Carrie Ann called it right on Shawn. There is something missing from her dances, and I don't really see why that should be. Earlier both she and Apollo noted that athletes are trained never to show emotion, which may be true for skaters but boy, I would have never guessed that for the gymnasts. Not for a minute. I'm not quite sure that's it, either, but maybe it is (Carrie Ann is the expert judge, I know nothing).

Shawn is emotionless, and I thought the dance really lacked the connection this dance requires. When Derek danced very similar routines with Nicole Scherzinger and Jennifer Grey that was Argentine Tango. And I'm usually a huge fan of his Argentine Tangos. This, was a series of steps.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:47 AM

An enjoyable night over all.

I expect Emmit to go, but don't know who else. I would like to see Shawn, Mellisa, and Anton in the Final, but we'll see. (I don't think Kelly is that good, and I'm a little tired of the "relationship" stuff, just dance.)
Old 11-20-2012, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

I have the same problem with Shawn that Carrie Ann has - she put her finger on it exactly. Don't just do a sequence of moves perfectly, dance.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:04 PM

Well, my dream final cast came true.
SPOILER:
Shawn, Melissa, and Kelly. Overall, the best three of the 5 in the semi-final.

All the people that spent years questioning Kelly's abilities has a lot of crow to eat. She's really the most improved of all the All Stars. It's like she's a totally different person. Val deserves a lot of credit.

Emmitt and Apolo were very entertaining all season. I'll miss seeing them.

Last edited by aceplace57; 11-20-2012 at 09:05 PM..
Old 11-20-2012, 09:18 PM

I'm still cheering and applauding Paula's fantastic dance tonight. She's always been my favorite from the 90's and damn, that fine ass woman can still dance!

I'd begun to wonder about Paula. It's been years since I saw her perform at this level. Sure glad to see her back in the groove.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:03 AM

Re: whether Kelly's abilities are questionable: They sure were coming into this season. The first season, as gets mentioned regularly, only ran six weeks, and she really wasn't as good as John O'Hurley at the end of those six weeks. She did not deserve to win, and they both had a rematch and changed how votes are counted in subsequent seasons to avoid complete distortions of the process by a rabid fan base. (Note I say "complete distortions": obviously every season someone or other *coughBristolPalinMasterPcough** who lasts quite a bit longer than he or she deserves to.)

Anyway, Kelly was not really a champion of the caliber of other champions coming into this -- though admittedly not all champions were necessarily excellent dancers, as we saw by the fairly early elimination of several of them.

That said, she's really been dancing well this season and I think she completely deserves to be in the final -- in fact, I've been both rooting for her and voting her for several weeks now.

Very pleased with who the final three are, and looking forward to a good finale next Monday.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:53 AM

I was bummed that both Emmitt and Apolo took 4th and 5th place because I refuse to believe that one of the producer's prodigy's Melissa got all those votes on her own without a helluva lot of pimping from the show.

In a season of tricks instead of dancing, it's great to see that Val and Kelly keep the spirit of the show in tact. That is, take a celebrity with no dance experience and turn them into a credible dancer. If Kelly wins that would be completing the circle. Kelly obviously has tried to keep up some dance skills, and with Cheryl Burke and Kym Johnson as good friends she must have got some tips to get better and she has. Val is a dance purest, and I'm thankful for that, because I'd rather watch how the celebrity can master at least some of required syllabus, not how well they can still do an aerial that they did in the Olympics. And for me, Melissa is a ballet dancer and hasn't really made the transition to ballroom dancing, unless she does the cheerleading tricks she did a few short years ago in college.

Finally, for me, dancing is all about the romantic connection between man and woman, it really doesn't matter if they're dating or not, what matters is how they project on the dance floor. If I watch a Ballroom dancing show, I want to see that all important chemistry, I don't like to watch dancing doggies do tricks.. that's for circus acts.

So good luck Kelly and Val... obviously the show doesn't want you to win, hopefully your fans will right the wrong.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:40 PM

For those looking for an excuse to throw a party today -- it's Bruno's birthday (b. 1955).
Old 11-25-2012, 05:19 PM

So I just watched Kelly and Val's "surf flamenco" thing. Val gets more naked each week. Is he going to just go ahead and go the full monty in the finale?

Of the "weird" dances, I liked Shawn and Derek's Knight Rider Bhangra the most. It was bizarre, but entertaining. It actually kind of worked, with the Knight Rider musical cues and the pulsing red lights. Melissa and Tony's caveman thing was very cool, too.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent View Post
So I just watched Kelly and Val's "surf flamenco" thing. Val gets more naked each week.
You say that like it's a bad thing.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:28 PM

It's sad that a beautiful, jaw dropping contemporary dance gets the same score as a gymnastics routine. That's just beyond screwed up. Tony proved once and for all that he can choreograph something besides pure ballroom. That dance is in my top five that I've ever seen on dwts.

I hope the public is as repulsed by Derek's blatant F U attitude towards the judges and ballroom in general. I'm very insulted that he thinks a beautifully done quickstep is boring and not crowd pleasing. That's a insult to the entire ballroom community. I'm curious to see if the public will give the mirrorball to a gymnast that can't dance worth a flip. More power to them if they do.

I was also very impressed with Kelly tonight. She's had such a journey this season. I have to admit that she's shown the most growth and improvement throughout the season.

I'd be ok with a win by Melissa or Kelly. I'd prefer seeing Melissa win, but please, please don't give it to the fake dancer/gymnast.

Last edited by aceplace57; 11-26-2012 at 09:30 PM..
Old 11-27-2012, 09:25 AM

This is an opinion:

Kelly is not that good. She is not vastly improved. Shawn and Melissa are fun to watch, for different reasons. Kelly looks like she planned this whole thing as a career booster.* Drum up some guy/girl drama to make sure you stay on people's minds, act like a soap opera star in real life situations, melodramatic sells in certain markets you know, over shadow your lack of real dancing skills with over the top emoting ... The ribbon stuff, tho, was really really cool.

Mellisa's free style was beautiful. I would give her the mirror ball based on that.

Shawn hasn't really "danced" all season, but WOW, her routines are oh so fun to watch (Fierce Five was very entertaining).

My votes all go to Melissa.

* yeah, it IS a career booster (which is just part of this series for me), and a well played one at that for her. But winning this competition? Nah.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:39 AM

My prediction:

Melissa #1
Shawn #2

I hated the Fab Five. Shawn's been treating the entire season like a floor exercise, but that was too much for me.