The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 11-27-2012, 09:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Time First Time View Post
I hated the Fab Five. Shawn's been treating the entire season like a floor exercise, but that was too much for me.
I could not agree more. I really hope your prediction is correct.
Advertisements  
Old 11-27-2012, 09:42 AM
Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space

I've been unable to vote on the website -- tried repeatedly last night, and just tried again, 20 minutes before they close, and keep getting various error messages.

If Melissa wins, it's gonna be without my three votes.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:18 AM
Charter Member

When Len said to Shawn and Derek that the Freestyle routine was "totally unexpected", I began to think that word does not mean what he thinks it means. I totally expected a kickass gymnastics routine, and that's what they did. It was Ballroom, though. And their quickstep was a blatant F you to the judges. I like Derek, but this was beyond the pale, as far as I'm concerned.

StG
Old 11-27-2012, 10:39 AM

Can't agree with the 'Shawn hasn't danced all season' claim. Sure, she and Derek throw in a gymnastics move here and there, but those only comprise a few seconds out of a dance lasting a minute or two. There's a reason Shawn's been at the top of the judges' leaderboard all season and it isn't because of her gymnastics moves. Her posture during the dances, her footwork, her arm placement, her timing and synchronization with Derek, etc. are always spot on. All the things the judges tell other contestants they need to work on are never an issue with Shawn. The judges themselves talk about how her movements are perfect "every. single. time." I may be wrong but I get the feeling she's the only contestant who could keep up with and match routines where the pro wasn't holding anything back. And all this from a kid who hasn't danced a lick since she was on the show four years ago and who had no dance training at all prior to that.

I hadn't thought much about Shawn the first few weeks but she really caught my attention with that quickstep and I've increasingly been a fan ever since.
Melissa has been gaining on her though by virtue of her dancing ability, personality and that killer smile, but after learning that she has a ballet background I'm more firmly back in Shawn's camp.

Kelly's okay. She's come a long way and done a few dances that I thought were beautiful. I'd probably be more of a fan if she were more animated and had more of a personality.

Still, all three are good dancers and I think that this is the first time I'll be fairly content with the result no matter who wins. My preference is Shawn but I think they're all deserving in their own way.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Time First Time View Post
I hated the Fab Five.
I got a chuckle out of McKayla Maroney doing her patented grimace.
But maybe I'm just easy to entertain.l
Old 11-27-2012, 01:16 PM

I spent all my votes on Melissa. She's so enjoyable to watch. Tony's always lacked sex appeal (IMO) and he looks a bit like an awkward older brother most of the time, but he and Melissa look goofy and happy together. They always make me smile.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:43 PM

I was craving a steak from Applebees all day. Didn't get away from the office until 6:30 and rushed home to a bologna sandwich on stale bread. Barely got the sandwich made and turned on the tv by 6:58. Two minutes later the Grinch comes on.

My addiction to this stupid show is out of control. Now I get screwed out of a steak dinner because of these wankers.

East coasters have it made. They have until 8 before prime time starts. Plenty of time to eat after work and get home.

Last edited by aceplace57; 11-27-2012 at 07:45 PM..
Old 11-27-2012, 08:11 PM

That's better, its started now. Good first dance with the full cast. Should be a fun two hours.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:23 PM

SPOILER:
Insta Dances - Kelly & Val jive, Shawn & Derek Cha Cha, Melissa & Tony Samba

Melissa lucked out big time! She did a Samba yesterday. I think she knows the steps LOL Although they still have to choreograph one to this new music.

Last edited by aceplace57; 11-27-2012 at 08:24 PM..
Old 11-27-2012, 09:59 PM

SPOILER:
Yay Melissa!!!

"Now they have one too!" - awesome!
Old 11-27-2012, 10:00 PM

All three couples were deserving, but I'm very happy with this result!
Old 11-27-2012, 10:05 PM

I just can't stop grinning!!!! he he

SPOILER:
Good things do happen to people that work hard. Congrats to Melissa and Tony.

I've never seen a pro drop weight like Tony did this season. He must have been working his butt off. It's been very noticeable how thin and haggard he's looked the last three weeks. Tony's choreography was so much better in All Stars. Even better than what he did with Melissa in Season 8. They earned this win.

I was really worried about judge's shenanigans. There's no way in the world that Shawn's cha cha deserved a perfect 30. At best it was a 9.5 just like Kelly and Melissa got. I thought for sure TPTB were rigging it for Shawn's win. I'm glad the fans came through for Melssia and Tony.

Last edited by aceplace57; 11-27-2012 at 10:08 PM..
Old 11-27-2012, 10:30 PM

Yay! Very happy with those results -- the order of the top three was exactly right, IMHO.

The only unanswered question -- are Kelly and Val sleeping together or not?

Re: the final sets of scores:

SPOILER:
Even with the perfect scores tonight for Shawn and Derek, they were far enough behind from last night that they couldn't catch up. I think it came down to viewer votes.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:39 PM

Once again the best dancer didn't win. I know this show is supposed to be a dancing competition/popularity contest but I just can't seem to shake the conviction that the best dancer should win, and the best dancer is Shawn. Even tonight and with a dance she didn't want, Shawn nailed her dance. The only one of the three to do so. I'm happy for Melissa, she's fun and she worked hard and the trophy was clearly very important to her. And I think I'm even more happy for Tony. Still, Shawn should have won.

But then so should almost every first or second runner up for as long as I've been watching the show.

Last edited by Starving Artist; 11-27-2012 at 10:43 PM..
Old 11-27-2012, 11:04 PM

I loved seeing Drew's daughter dance with him and Anna. That was such a special moment for the little girl that she'll treasure always.

The two kids with Kym and Joey's dances were cute too. They seemed to be trained dancers that the show must have found at some dance school.

I credit All Stars for creating so many new celebrity dances just for the final.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:12 PM

Yeah, usually the finale show is a greatest hits thing -- also liked several of the new dances. The "Back to the Future" theme was esp. nice.

Pam's thing, OTOH -- ew. Esp. for a show with a lot of kids watching. Ew.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:11 AM

Yeah, ew on Pamela. Bristol seems to have found her niche in swishing her hips and tush. (Not bad looking, actually, but a DWTS stars All Star? nah...)

Dance Center was awesome! Those guys always bring the humor, last night had us rolling.

Overall, I think Melissa danced better. Last night, however, Shawn nailed it. Kelly shouldn't have even been there, plus her melodrama fake showmance crap was really offputting for the entire run.

An enjoyable finals to top an enjoyable season.

Plus, my pick actually won. Wow.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twickster View Post
Y

The only unanswered question -- are Kelly and Val sleeping together or not?

R [/spoiler]
From the reaction shot of the other dancers/stars when Val said that they were "very good friends" it's clear that the other cast members think that they were sleeping together.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:55 AM

Everyone thinks so ... the question is, are they?
Old 11-28-2012, 11:25 AM

Access Hollywood right after they won. Melissa and Tony holding the All Star mirrorball trophies. This was backstage right after they won. They were still super, super excited and happy.

Last edited by aceplace57; 11-28-2012 at 11:28 AM..
Old 11-28-2012, 11:34 AM

I'm still smiling this morning. So happy for them!
Old 11-28-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twickster View Post
Everyone thinks so ... the question is, are they?
I don't think they are, I think it was showmance to garner votes, personally.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyrat View Post
I don't think they are, I think it was showmance to garner votes, personally.
I agree. She's a soap opera actress - if there's anything she knows how to do, it's overwrought sexuality.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:32 PM

She -- to me, anyway -- seems kind of embarrassed by it. For what that's worth. All the overwrought sexuality is on Val's side.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:20 PM

Melissa's TV Guide comment really applies to all the All Stars. The partnership is such a key and often overlooked element on dwts. For example I thought the early rehearsal footage of Drew and Anna was off. There was tension in that partnership. Then week 1 it was apparent that Anna and Drew weren't meshing as a partnership. I don't know if they were actually arguing yet. But the support for each other, mutual respect, and collaborative process just wasn't happening.

There were reports that Joey was goofing off, cracking jokes with the cast and just not taking it seriously. There are many reasons why some of the former champions got eliminated early. But the partnership is really key. I thought Emmitt and Cheryl did a good job recreating their partnership. It took them much further in All Stars than I expected. Emmitt did really well for someone that isn't a natural dancer. I thought Emmitt matched his prior season's performance but never could improve on it.

The three couples that made the finals all had improved significantly over their original seasons. We know now that the win was up for grabs. It was a very competitive ending and in that sense All Stars was a success.

Quote:
We had a great relationship in Season 8, but something different happened this season and neither of us really know what it was. He was more patient with me; I was more patient with him. I was more willing to learn; he was more willing to be creative with choreography. It was like everything kind of came together and he pushed me to be so much better than I was in Season 8 and I think I pushed him to do the same.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:51 PM

Thanks for the link, that was a nice interview.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:09 PM

An update on Brooke Burke-Charvet. Looks like she's had her surgery and all went well.

Link

Good news.