The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > The Game Room

Old 07-28-2012, 06:00 AM

What Olympic events could men and women compete together in?

It seems strange to me that men and women don't shoot together. Apparently equestrian events are mixed. And of course you can have mixed doubles in various racket sports, but that's not quite the same. What else could men and women compete against each other in? I mostly want to know about Olympic events, but would be interested in opinions on other events too.
Advertisements  
Old 07-28-2012, 07:02 AM

I think part of the reason men and women don't shoot together is because if it were mixed, you'd get almost only men because men, on average, have more interest, learned ability and possibly innate ability at shooting. It seems that part of the IOC's decision is based on making sure that a particular sport isn't 99% male even if that representation level is based on non-biological factors.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:25 AM

Curling (if not limited to Summer Games).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozuit
...but would be interested in opinions on other events too.
I wonder why there are separate U.S. and World Chess Championships. In standard tournaments, the men usually outnumber the women significantly (due to interest, I guess) and the results would be skewed, but in the U.S. Championship and the World Championship, you have approximately an equal number of men and women. For instance, in this year's U.S. Chess Championship, there were 12 men and 10 women. Why do the women not compete against the men for an overall title? It's not football.

Last edited by Mince; 07-28-2012 at 07:29 AM..
Old 07-28-2012, 07:32 AM

Mince,

Why is this so in the US and world championships? If men significantly outnumber women in standard tournaments, why is it so different in those two championships?

If it's because the US and World championships have quotas (or numerical goals, which are completely different from quotas somehow), then I can see why the IOC wouldn't have it that way; the medal winners would overwhelmingly be men.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

Perhaps only the very best women continue with the game of chess. Then the number of men competing is larger than the number of women and you see this in tournaments; however, to get to the Nationals you have to be among the very best and now men and women are equally represented.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:23 AM

Wrestling? Since the sport is divided into weight classes, men do not have an advantage of extra body mass. HS girls have won statewide wrestling titles in some states.

Archery?

I've read that in ultra long distance running women actually have an advantage, but at the link it seems the men have all the records.
http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/...s_running.html

Ski jumping?

I recall chess from 50 years ago where there was maybe one woman grandmaster. That certainly has changed. At some point I suspect the best chess player will be a woman. Maybe not in my lifetime, but I think it will happen.
Old 07-28-2012, 12:47 PM

Not exactly what you are looking for, but you could do a 4x400 relay, 2 men 2 women
Old 07-28-2012, 12:59 PM

I believe men, pound for pound, have a greater percentage of muscle mass, vs. fat mass, so even if they were both the same weight the man probably wouldn't have any problem with a woman in a wrestling match.
Old 07-28-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John DiFool View Post
I believe men, pound for pound, have a greater percentage of muscle mass, vs. fat mass, so even if they were both the same weight the man probably wouldn't have any problem with a woman in a wrestling match.
For Olympic lifts, the 56kg male record is significantly higher than the 75kg female record. Yes, men are much stronger pound for pound.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
I think Andy Kaufman proved this without a shadow of a doubt. He was a skinny guy and he could beat ANY woman.

OK, I meant that as a joke, but it's not very funny. And neither was Kaufman.

I immediately thought shooting, but that's about it.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stink Fish Pot View Post

I immediately thought "sex", but that might lead to shooting, so there is that, then...
Old 07-28-2012, 02:50 PM

ping pong?
Old 07-28-2012, 02:56 PM

Synchronized swimming?
Old 07-28-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancakes3 View Post
ping pong?
At the Olympic level it's a highly athletic endeavor.

--Cliffy
Old 07-28-2012, 05:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stink Fish Pot View Post
I think Andy Kaufman proved this without a shadow of a doubt. He was a skinny guy and he could beat ANY woman.

OK, I meant that as a joke, but it's not very funny. And neither was Kaufman.

10m air pistol records.
Men:695.1 Women: 493.5

10m air rifle records
Men:703.8 Women:505.6

50m rifle(.22LR) three position
Men:1287.9 Women: 698.0

Last edited by running coach; 07-28-2012 at 05:22 PM..
Old 07-28-2012, 06:02 PM

Until recently, women DID compete directly against men in shooting. In 1976, a woman shooter named Margaret Murdock NEARLY won the gold.

She finished in a tie for first with Lanny Bassham. Both of them wanted to do a playoff round, but that wasn't allowed. Bassham was declared the winner.

Bassham had Murdock stand on the top tier of the podium with him during the playing of the national anthem, and they both held the gold medal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_Murdock

Last edited by astorian; 07-28-2012 at 06:03 PM..
Old 07-28-2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astorian View Post
Until recently, women DID compete directly against men in shooting. In 1976, a woman shooter named Margaret Murdock NEARLY won the gold.

She finished in a tie for first with Lanny Bassham. Both of them wanted to do a playoff round, but that wasn't allowed. Bassham was declared the winner.

Bassham had Murdock stand on the top tier of the podium with him during the playing of the national anthem, and they both held the gold medal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_Murdock
How did they determine the winner?
Old 07-28-2012, 06:20 PM

Yes, I know it is not an "Olympic" sport but in dogsled racing men and women 18-80 race against each other.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaftPeople View Post
Not exactly what you are looking for, but you could do a 4x400 relay, 2 men 2 women
That's a nice idea actually.

Quote:
I was thinking that but not certain enough that it would apply to Olympic athletes. Looks like it's true though, if Snarky_Kong is right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runner pat View Post
10m air pistol records.

10m air rifle records

Wow, I don't know why I didn't think of looking that up. Can you shed any light on why the records are so different? I find it hard to believe men could be inherently so much better, especially at the 50 metre level which is a huge difference. Perhaps it's just down to fewer women shooting, but even if that's the case I'm surprised.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozuit View Post
That's a nice idea actually.

I was thinking that but not certain enough that it would apply to Olympic athletes. Looks like it's true though, if Snarky_Kong is right.

Wow, I don't know why I didn't think of looking that up. Can you shed any light on why the records are so different? I find it hard to believe men could be inherently so much better, especially at the 50 metre level which is a huge difference. Perhaps it's just down to fewer women shooting, but even if that's the case I'm surprised.
WAG-sheer strength. The pistol shooting is done one handed, the rifle is standing and the target is very tiny. Even a very small error will make a big difference in the score.
Just for comparison, the records for 300m rifle prone are only one point apart.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
10m air pistol records.

10m air rifle records

Per wiki for the 50m rifle article:
"The competition is won by the shooter who reachest the highest aggregate score (qualification + final, maximum 1309.0 for men, 709.0 for women)."

So there is some difference in scoring between the two. Interestingly, the women win with the WR being 98.4% of maximum whereas the men's is only 98.3%. So I think shooting is still in the running.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:53 PM

Curling? (No that kind)

Olympic Curling. I really don't see any inherent advantage a Y-chromosome has.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disheavel View Post
Per wiki for the 50m rifle article:
"The competition is won by the shooter who reachest the highest aggregate score (qualification + final, maximum 1309.0 for men, 709.0 for women)."

So there is some difference in scoring between the two. Interestingly, the women win with the WR being 98.4% of maximum whereas the men's is only 98.3%. So I think shooting is still in the running.
But the women have fewer shots so longer to rest between shots and the rifle is lighter.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky_Kong View Post
Longest penis?
Old 07-28-2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfrommensa View Post
Curling? (No that kind)

Olympic Curling. I really don't see any inherent advantage a Y-chromosome has.
How hard you throw the rock does impact how it curls, as well as how well you can knock out guards and such. I'm not sure if that has any practical impact--I don't know if throw speeds are within typical ranges for both sexes, but it might be possible. (see also previous discussions on competitive pool playing between men and women)
Old 07-28-2012, 07:02 PM
Charter Member

I would think fencing would be pretty evenly matched.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:03 PM

For 10m air rifle:
" The maximum achievable aggregate score (qualification + final score) is 709 for men and 509 for women." Men= 99.27% of maximum Women = 99.33%

For 10m Pistol:
Men = 60+10 shots
Women = 40+10 shots
I believe it is a maximum 10 points for a perfect shot so 700 for men and 500 for women (It may be 10.9 but it isn't easy to find online), but in pistol, men finally beat the women.

Very interesting- I wouldn't have guessed it.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:03 PM

I'd think that a guy could sweep faster and harder, plus he might be able to move the stones faster in curling. Doubt it's much of an edge, if any.

The tiebreaking procedure for three-position in the 1976 Games was to go back and see who had the highest total for the last ten shots. Bassham did, so he got the gold. Weird, I thought they'd go to "X"s to tie-break. This SI article from 1976 goes into a lot of detail about the event. Makes me sad, how much the writing has slipped over the last 35 years.

My vote is for Yachting.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky_Kong View Post
According to this Sports Illustrated article,
Quote:
Originally Posted by SI
The tie-breaking method is to compare scores for the last 10 shots. Murdock had 96 points, Bassham 98, so the victory was his.
Basically, Bassham won because his victory was a dramatic come-from-behind. Certainly exciting, but a bizarre rule ... Imagine putting that into other sports. "So, at the end of regulation, the score is tied at 101! But, since the Los Angeles Lakers scored 30 points in the fourth quarter, and the Boston Celtics only 28, the Lakers take game 7, and they're the new NBA champions!"

On the plus side, it beats the hell out of the current NHL regular-season tiebreak rules.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disheavel View Post
For 10m air rifle:
" The maximum achievable aggregate score (qualification + final score) is 709 for men and 509 for women." Men= 99.27% of maximum Women = 99.33%

For 10m Pistol:
Men = 60+10 shots
Women = 40+10 shots
I believe it is a maximum 10 points for a perfect shot so 700 for men and 500 for women (It may be 10.9 but it isn't easy to find online), but in pistol, men finally beat the women...
From this link, at elite competitions like this, the first shots are scored to a max of 10. It's the last 10 shots in the shootoff that go to 10.9. So max would be as you stated: 709 for the guys; 509 for the ladies. Really slick how they determine scoring---it's done acoustically.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:10 PM

Quote:
But the women have fewer shots so longer to rest between shots and the rifle is lighter.
112.5 seconds per shot for women versus 105 seconds for men so you are correct for pistol and the other ones are similar are similar in magnitude, but in all cases women do have a longer shooting window.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:16 PM

Agreed with sailing, but only for small keelboat. This time around the Elliott 6m was chosen and it is a female only match race format. All of the other events are fleet sailing. There is too much hiking out and weight placement involved in small boat sailing for men and women to compete on equal terms.

There will be a mixed multihull competition on Nacra 17's at the 2016 games in Rio.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
I would think fencing would be pretty evenly matched.
Men have significantly faster reflexes. The physical differences aren't just speed and strength.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:00 PM

Pairs figure skating.

Potential Olympic ballroom dancing and dragon boating.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:01 PM

Yes

Last edited by Laggard; 07-28-2012 at 11:04 PM..
Old 07-28-2012, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laggard View Post
Yes
http://biae.clemson.edu/bpc/bp/Lab/1...ion.htm#Gender

In case you still want it.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mince View Post
I wonder why there are separate U.S. and World Chess Championships. In standard tournaments, the men usually outnumber the women significantly (due to interest, I guess) and the results would be skewed, but in the U.S. Championship and the World Championship, you have approximately an equal number of men and women. For instance, in this year's U.S. Chess Championship, there were 12 men and 10 women. Why do the women not compete against the men for an overall title? It's not football.
Only one of the top rated 100 chess players in the world is a woman (and none of the top 100 bridge players).
Old 07-29-2012, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozuit View Post

There is the fact that more men than women shoot which increases the pool of potential champions.

There is the fact that men practice hand/eye coordination and spatial skills more than women.

There is a possibility of biological statistical superiority.

You can take all of that away though; the interest level among one gender, the practice, the possible biological superiority. It remains that in fields where you get to the top by focusing with extreme intensity, you tend to get men.

For example, you would expect Scrabble to be dominated by women, right? Maybe at the casual level it is. Women have much more interest than men in language, practice language-related skills more and may have statistical biological superiority over men. So you'd expect most Scrabble champions to be women.

Please read the names on this list:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_S...e_Championship
Old 07-29-2012, 10:16 AM

The upper end of the respective ability bell curves see men being faster, stronger, better reflexes etc. etc.

I wouldn't be at all surprised in some cases to see the bottom ends of those curves being populated by men as well, it may even be that in some cases women have a higher average ability.

Point being, medals are only awarded to those at the top end and that is why it is highly unlikely that women and men can ever compete equally at an elite level. Certainly not where there is an objective "best". Subjective artistic judging may see some women do well.

Equestrian may be the closest but even then, looking at past medallists, but as I said above, it is only in dressage (subjective judging) where women seem to win regularly, Eventing and showjumping seem to favour men.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:43 AM

Finninsh wife carrying (a vid from competition yesterday in Canada) has yet to become an Olympic sport.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:24 AM

Women might have an advantage in Ferret legging.

Don't know which sex would do better at competitive sauna sitting, but the question is now moot given that the World Champships have been permanently terminated.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:23 AM

Just wanted to point out that in 1992, a woman won the gold in the skeet competition (when women and men competed evenly). The next Olympics it was no longer a mixed sport, and they lowered the number of targets women hit.

Last edited by tessmctessy; 07-31-2012 at 06:23 AM..
Old 07-31-2012, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessmctessy View Post
Just wanted to point out that in 1992, a woman won the gold in the skeet competition (when women and men competed evenly). The next Olympics it was no longer a mixed sport, and they lowered the number of targets women hit.
I'm trying to find a single way that could be interpreted generously and I can't seem to. That sounds maliciously sexist. Does anypony know any reason other than ridiculously sexist attitudes why they would have made that change?
Old 07-31-2012, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Kim Rhode just hit 99 of 100 in skeet shooting (for the 2012 gold medal). Not a whole lot of room for a man to do better than that....
Old 07-31-2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quercus View Post
Kim Rhode just hit 99 of 100 in skeet shooting (for the 2012 gold medal). Not a whole lot of room for a man to do better than that....
Sounds good in isolation doesn't it? And I have no doubt that on a given day she could beat men but that isn't the point. Would it be fair to keep it mixed? Let's look at some facts.

Looking at the world records for Olympic skeet I can see 11 occasions when men have shot perfect scores in qualifications and finals and exactly 0 occasions for women.
The men have to shoot 125 and 150 for perfect scores in qual/finals whereas women only have to shoot 75 and 100. And yet still there are no perfects recorded.
If we levelled the playing field up to the men's standard I'd expect fewer women to approach perfection. Level it down to the women's standard and I'd expect to see far more men with perfects.

On that basis it seems clear that you are going to get far more male winners than female and so keeping it segregated is probably sensible. Otherwise you'd be be waiting for a freakish display by such as the Chinese lady and that is likely to be pretty demoralising to the rest of the women.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelEmouse View Post
I'm trying to find a single way that could be interpreted generously and I can't seem to. That sounds maliciously sexist. Does anypony know any reason other than ridiculously sexist attitudes why they would have made that change?
No longer making it mixed and making a women only competition isn't necessarily maliciously sexist. Men have a greater pool of shooters, so separating the two will allow more female shooters to compete, and that will make more women try to take up shooting. Which is the case since 2001, the number of women shooters has increased dramatically.

The number of targets is maliciously sexist though, and only allows people to point at the final number, despite the fact that women have medalled when competing against men on the same level.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
The number of targets is maliciously sexist though, and only allows people to point at the final number, despite the fact that women have medalled when competing against men on the same level.
But lots of sports are "sexist" to that extent. Hurdles are lower, Discuss and shot are lighter, golf courses are shorter. The number of targets being reduced is hardly "malicious". As long as it is good enough to distinguish between the top women then it is doing its job.

( as mentioned in my previous post, it doesn't seem like any woman has shot a perfect in qualifying or finals whereas men have, makes sense to me that the men therefore have to shoot more to be sure of finding a winner)
Old 07-31-2012, 02:53 PM

The thing about shooting is recovery time. We've all seen the old canard where a little skinny guy/girl shoots off GrandPa's double barrel and gets thrown backwards a mile.

The more muscle/weight you've got the less you are affected by the kickback and therefore the better you are able to recover your sight picture and make the next shot. I can beat pretty much anybody on the first five shots with any gun I can lift. I won riflery competitions against grown men when I was seven years old.

But long about shot ten my muscles stop recovering as well and tiny trembles set in. If I were an athlete I could of course increase that number, but a man would always have the advantage unless he had a hormone deficiency.

It's the same with ping pong. I don't have a cite, but it seems obvious that men have a huge advantage in any sport which requires strength of grip or muscle recovery in the small muscles of the hand. Tennis, racquetball, shooting, all the same.

Last edited by TruCelt; 07-31-2012 at 02:54 PM..
Old 07-31-2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruCelt View Post
The thing about shooting is recovery time. We've all seen the old canard where a little skinny guy/girl shoots off GrandPa's double barrel and gets thrown backwards a mile.

The more muscle/weight you've got the less you are affected by the kickback and therefore the better you are able to recover your sight picture and make the next shot. I can beat pretty much anybody on the first five shots with any gun I can lift. I won riflery competitions against grown men when I was seven years old.

But long about shot ten my muscles stop recovering as well and tiny trembles set in. If I were an athlete I could of course increase that number, but a man would always have the advantage unless he had a hormone deficiency.

It's the same with ping pong. I don't have a cite, but it seems obvious that men have a huge advantage in any sport which requires strength of grip or muscle recovery in the small muscles of the hand. Tennis, racquetball, shooting, all the same.
I can see how that would have an effect for shotguns and full-powered rifles but don't most Olympic shooting events use .177 BB guns and .22lr? Fatigue can set in for a healthy human shooting those?
Old 07-31-2012, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelEmouse View Post
I can see how that would have an effect for shotguns and full-powered rifles but don't most Olympic shooting events use .177 BB guns and .22lr? Fatigue can set in for a healthy human shooting those?
Those guns can be quite heavy. .22 rifles can be 18 lbs for men, 14 lbs for women, .22 pistols must weight at least 3.09 lbs.

Air rifle/pistol max weights are 12/3.3 lbs

Last edited by running coach; 07-31-2012 at 04:31 PM..