SDMB Shadowrun campaign Chapter 3 - Prey To The Dark: Players only!

This thread is continuing an SDMB Shadowrun campaign. This is for in-character posts only. If you’re watching the game and would like to comment, please go here rather than posting in this thread.

Previous game threads for this campaign are chapter 1: New World Orders and chapter 2: Golden Rule.

The player characters:

Autolycus as Nail - human mystic Adept, who is currently wracked with guilt and anger over the death of fellow Shadowrunner Seneth.
Hoopy Frood as Goethe - ork Shadowrunner veteran, who helped lead a crew that brought a small amount of justice back into the corporate world, giving the backstabbing CEO of Synthcorp a taste of his own medicine.
Mahaloth, formerly playing as Seneth, now playing as a character to be introduced soon! Were the Raven mage’s delusions of immortality simply figments of his deranged mind, or something more?
AClockWorkMelon as Asset 4509, property of Universal Omnitech. He was once a human male, but is now something…more. He has shown remarkable disregard for life, but does a tortured human soul yet lurk somewhere among all that machinery?

Notable NPCs:

Donovan - Human mystic adept, who set events in motion which eventually toppled the giant Synthcorp.
Walken - Human executive of Universal Omnitech, who captured Synthcorp in the most hostile of takeovers.
Kirk - Quirky and socially awkward elf female technomancer, rescued from Synthcorp during the assault.

There is currently one position open for this campaign. If you would like to play with us, do not reply in this thread, but rather send me a PM. The open position will go to the first person to send the PM, who is available to post an average of once per day (with occasional exceptions for real life).

Welcome back to the Shadows, chummer. You didn’t think Synthcorp was the end of it, did you? Like it or not, you’re all involved in something much bigger than yourselves. Meaner, too.

The Dark is coming. You are powerless against it. Soon enough, you’ll be looking back at your days of fighting petty corporate wars, and say “those were the good times.” Good luck, pal.

You’re gonna need it.

*It’s all falling apart. *

Nail’s standing in front of his family’s apartment. He had a good run, if the measure was just money. Enough to move out of this dump. More than enough, actually. Enough to be comfortable. Maybe even enough to quit, at least for awhile. Retire.

Not yet, though. Not after the conversation he just had.

It was Donovan, over the comlink.

“Goethe’s been trying to reach you.”

“What are you, his secretary?”

“Cut it out,” Donovan replied. “Listen, I hope you enjoyed your time off, but you need to be back in the game again. It’s starting.”

“What is?” Nail said.

“You know what. Watch your back. Take care of your family.”

Nail does indeed know what. For a moment he’s speechless; a rare condition for him.

She wont understand, Nail realizes. All this time, he insulated his family from the crummy work he did. Now, Nail doubts the wisdom of that decision. How can he tell the people closest to him that he has to run away? From what, exactly?

The image of Walken’s body suddenly flashes back from Nail’s memory. He wasn’t just killed. They did it slow, with blades and drugs. The man had been sitting at his desk, propped up like a gruesome marionette. Whoever did it was sending a message, which might as well have been written with fire in the sky for how obvious it was. You’re next.

Except he wasn’t. Two commandos who were at the Synthcorp assault were next. They found them hanging where the letters “i” used to be on the Universal Omnitech sign. The heads made great dots.

The last one was Kirk. They hacked Darwin. Reprogrammed him to record, as he shot her in the head. Then the drone played the recording over and over, projecting the murder in high definition onto the screens of every executive level employee’s work station throughout Universal Omnitech. They had to dismantle Darwin before it finally stopped.

Who the hell could have hacked Kirk’s own machine? The thought was absurd.

Time to get the hell out of Dodge. I don’t want the people I love to be caught in the middle. Only question is, what do I tell them?

4509 cycles between thermographic and low-light vision, each of his eyes viewing the cabin at the center of the meadow that sprawls out before him in differing levels of magnification. Panels of information pop up in his vision, overlaying everything that he sees: A range-finding infobox here, a temperature readout there, and system alerts providing real-time information on the status of his vitals and cybernetics flooding out across his plane of view, all of it recorded for later study. He only vaguely remembers what it was like before his cybereye surgery.

He presses his face against the rubber eyepiece of the rifle’s scope and takes in the view with an even higher level of magnification. The Walther MA-2100 is a rugged and accurate weapon system suitable for most long and extreme-range engagements. His cybereyes pull up its data automatically when he looks through its scope, giving him information on its systems and specifications, its serial number, 23095J, embossed in the lower right-hand corner of his sight. Its user reflects momentarily on his own nature compared to the rifle’s: Both weapons of Universal Omnitech, complete with serial numbers. But the cyborg’s number wasn’t given to him by UO. With that thought he refocuses his attention on the cabin. The grass between him and it flows beneath the press of invisible waves and the wind of the valley is all that his cyberears pick up.

The previous kill was easy. Fox At Dawn had handled himself as well as could be expected during the Synthcorp raid, which is to say only as well as an unmodded human could. He and the two others were too consumed in the pointless remembrance of their fallen comrade to notice 4509 approaching the burial site. The rugged forest floor was caked with snow that crunched softly beneath each of the machine’s steps. The trees were plentiful but widely-spaced here and provided decent enough cover, should 4509 need it. But he wouldn’t need it. He walked into view, revolver raised and pointed at the nearest kneeling Chinook. The firearm barked twice in his hand and sent the native tumbling forward into the open grave. The others recoiled with shock and the cyborg turned his weapon on the next victim and snatched his life away with another two shots. 4509 had to give Fox At Dawn credit for his speed: He was immediately on the cyborg, blade in hand. The machine merely caught him by the wrist, crushing bone with a grip of steel, cybereyes capturing every nuance of the agony and terror that erupted across the warrior’s face. He calmly placed the muzzle of the gun against Fox At Dawn’s temple and fired the weapon with a thought, the warrior crumpling immediately.

The first of the day’s murders had been even more effortless. 4509’s research on Eagle Is Certain alerted him to the warrior’s nature: An adept. The Chinook had abandoned the relative safety of the city and his tribe to meditate in the wilderness. The poor bastards couldn’t help but make things easy for him. The native opened his eyes, waking from a period of meditation, the cyborg before him twenty yards away. “I knew you were coming.” He had heard this kind of talk from a Chinook before and wasn’t worried. “I’m not alone here.” The cyborg’s ultrasound emitter had been switched on long before his arrival and he knew his victim was alone in every way that mattered. The adept got to his feet in silence and considered the machine that had come to take his life. Suddenly he roared with fury and charged the cyborg, his astonishing speed clearing half the distance in a moment before the ground beneath his feet surged up with the WOOOOM of an explosion. The Chinook’s mutilated corpse was deposited a few feet away by the blast, dirt and dust raining to the ground all about it. 4509 approached the body and confirmed the kill. He glanced up and around, imagining the fool’s spirit guide looking on.

The last kills would be more interesting than the previous two. 4509 lowers the rifle and rises from his crouch to make his way towards the cabin. As he nears the small building his emitter and scanner spring to life and sweep the area, feeding him their results immediately. He puts his eye to the scope of the Walther again, ready to fire.

4509 spots movement at the end of his rifle. It takes less than a second to confirm the identify the figure as Wild Cousin, the Chinook shaman who helped the crew in its final attack against the Synthcorp CEO, Mr. Johnson.

There is no remorse. 4509 doesn’t even understand the concept of the emotion anymore. The shaman turns toward the cyborg. It’s impossible for Wild Cousin to see him from this range, but the feeling that the shaman is looking right at him is unsettling.

It takes an instant to adjust the aim of the rifle, and another instant to fire the weapon with a thought.

So why isn’t the weapon firing?

4509 can’t concentrate. His vision swims. He takes a deep breath, and attempts to focus. He’s distracted, though. The light pierces agonizingly through the leaves of the tree beside him. His last vision is of the shaman, walking directly toward him.

Fire! 4509 commands the weapon. As the rifle kicks, 4509 loses consciousness.

4509 awakens in a small room, in the style of a log cabin. Probably the inside of the building the shaman came from. His hands are not bound, and he’s surprised to discover he’s not caged. His systems are coming back online, and soon he’ll be at full capacity, ready to crush the life out of the helpless fairy Native.

“I know who you are,” the shaman called Wild Cousin says. “Even back at Synthcorp, I knew.” He tosses a microscope slide toward the cyborg, who makes no move to catch it. The slide tumbles on the floor.

“It’s a drop of your blood. You’re the target of ritual magic. A curse. My curse.”

Well, that explains what happened with the rifle.

“I know you will kill me, and I am prepared to die. But, we have work to do first, or your owners will be consumed by the rising Dark. It has already begun, by swallowing Walken and Kirk. You will soon follow.”

4509 is intrigued, but the urge to destroy the man is almost overwhelming. His systems are all online, and he is quite ready to end Wild Cousin’s pitiful existence…

4509 cares as little for the shaman’s prophetic rambling as he did for Eagle Is Certain’s. Alert popups fill his vision and all his systems scream warnings to him as they come online. He lifts his heavy, transparently-cased right arm, swinging it towards Wild Cousin. A slide opens on his forearm and his arm’s glow shifts from blue to green as the Crusader machine pistol spins from its housing and into his hand, which fails to close around the grip in time, the firearm clattering to the ground as the cyborg heaves forward drunkenly. He retakes the weapon in hand and falls back, the systems controlling the gears and motors throughout his body still rebooting. He levels the pistol at Wild Cousin, about to fire.

The shaman simply stands still, and says nothing. He looks 4509 in the eye, accepting his fate.

4509 realizes the shaman is exhausted. He isn’t committing suicide, 4509 understands now. He’s just too tired to continue running.

The cyborg pulls the trigger and sends a spray of bullets across the room, tearing through the shaman’s legs and sending his body tumbling into a pile. 4509 pushes himself to his feet, his systems finally fully booted. He checks himself for damage and, satisfied by his cursory search, makes his way to the gasping Chinook, a heavy boot crushing the slide on the way. He tosses the pistol aside and falls on Wild Cousin with both armblades extended, plunging each through a lung as blood erupts from the corpse’s chest.

4509 retracts his blades and collects his weapons. He gives the room a brief search before looking for what he came for.

The shaman is helpless against 4509, and dies without even raising his hands in defense.

The kill is unsatisfying.* But it’s not about satisfaction, is it?*

The cabin furnishing are spartan. 4509 finds nothing valuable or interesting among the dead man’s possessions. The only Chinook who could have identified him from the Synthcorp raid are now all dead. There was only one single loose end to tie up.

4509 steps out of the cabin and finds the object of his search, a circular brick structure about three feet tall. It looks like a particularly large well opening. When the cyborg reaches the structure, he looks over the side. There are steps inside, spiraling down to a heavy steel grate at the bottom. It’s an oubliette-style dungeon entrance, with only a single prisoner inside…

Sorry, I haven’t posted this sooner. Got a bit busy, but this is essentially Goethe’s Epilogue from the previous chapter, which actually fits with the opening color here anyway, since Goethe kind of suspected things were going to get more complicated.

After the events of the evening, Goethe wants nothing more than to get back to his home as quickly as possible. Once it’s apparent UO has things under control, Goethe hops on his bike and speeds home. There won’t be any celebration tonight. Sure, his group took down one of the few people in the world who can truly be considered evil, but at the end of it all, it’s not like it’s going to revolutionize the world or anything. Though people of Johnson’s level of depravity aren’t exactly common, in a world with billions…Hell…in a city of millions, there are plenty of them out there. Someone will always rise to take the place of the fallen.

*And face it, Chummer. UO’s another corp. Maybe not as evil as some, but none of them are truly good. They serve themselves. At least you can take comfort in the fact that they probably aren’t going to be trying to kill you unlike Synthcorp. Of course, based on what Sasheille told you, this isn’t over. Johnson had a backer. A very powerful one. Now, this backer might be impressed at your team’s little display tonight, but just as likely they’ll be gunning for you. It depends upon if they feel you are more use to them alive than dead. Granted, taking out Johnson does send a message, and you have a better chance to survive by demonstrating your strength than you do letting those intent upon taking you out do so as you sit idly by, but still, this isn’t over. Not by a longshot. The question is “Who?” It could be one of the megacorps, but unlikely. Synthcorp might have been a giant among midgets, but the megacorps were unlikely to give two shits about it. They have much bigger fish to fry. No, it’s likely it’s some midrange corp, a midget among the giants, who wants to play with the big bosses. And you and UO just tossed a huge spanner into the clockwork. You and Nail have the advantage of being giants among midgets yourselves as far as runners go, but remember, you are still counted among the midgets. You haven’t proven yourself unexpendable in anyone’s eyes who truly matters in this game.

"Really, you have two choices, sit back and hope you and/or Synthcorp were still too much of a midget to be considered a threat, or take a proactive attempt to figure out exactly who’s trying to run this danged show. And if you can’t gum up the works further, maybe you can at least make yourself too important to kill. However, without Nail, you won’t stand much of a chance. Let’s just hope he eventually will listen to you before it’s too late for either one of you. Granted, there’s not much money to be made when you become your own client, but you have enough saved up combined with the nice haul from UO, that you can pretty much ride this out for a while. And you can still take small jobs on the side.

“But remember, no one made you sign up for that Synthcorp wetworks job. You went against your own better judgement for an ample but far from spectacular amount of coin. And it turned out to fuck you in the end. Killing’s bad for business, even when it is the business. Now you’re messed up in something way bigger than anything you’ve done before. And you lost too many of your allies in the process. Welcome to the big time, chummer! You always wanted it, didn’t you…?”*

Arriving at his apartment, Goethe finds Alek once again manning the desk. Seeing Goethe physically in better shape, but sicker in spirit, Alek once again offers a some of the tea he regularly brews.

“Tough night?”

"You don’t know the half of it. Remember that thing I told you about. Well, we cleaned it up…sort of. The guy who was betraying all the runners he hired by killing them rather than paying them since they knew too much? Well, he’s now off in some Chinook land where he’s unlikely to be backstabbing anyone, including myself, anytime soon. But we lost a lot of men. And I made a call, that might have been partially responsible for losing one of my own crew. I’m not convinced I even made the wrong call, but the result was disastrous anyway. If this was the end of it, maybe it’d be worth it, but I fear it isn’t. Johnson had a backer. We took down Synthcorp, handed it over to UO in a combined effort of UO agents, Chinook warriors, and our my team. I did it because Johnson was going to try to kill me and my team no matter what once we first agreed to work for him. I cared little for the UO or Chinook reasons; I wasn’t in it for them. But I fear that Johnson was just the tip of the proverbial iceberg. Events are no doubt in motion that will come back to me sooner or later. And of the few friends I have, one’s not really talking to me, and the other is largely in hiding for reasons I’m not sure of but I’m pretty sure are connected to this whole thing at a level I haven’t figured out.

“I don’t suppose you have any ideas as to what Synthcorp was involved in, or could point me in a good place to start looking? It’d be greatly appreciated at this point. Also, keep an eye out. Knowing what power Johnson had, whoever was backing him is no doubt even more powerful. It’s only going to be a matter of time before they track me down. At that point, I’ll probably have to disappear for a bit. I’m not going to go endangering the lives of you or anyone else in this building, even if I know many of the residents are more than capable of taking care of themselves. After all, it’s not their fault I got myself into this mess.”

After his conversation with the dwarf, Goethe will head upstairs, take a quick belt of Scotch, and pass out of exhaustion. Upon waking, he will begin to scour the Matrix using shadow mode on his rig for any information he can find on what Synthcorp was up to. He’ll also send some anonymous messages to Kirk, which will be clear enough to her to indicate his concerns and identify him to her, but vague enough that they will seem fairly innocent in nature and be unlikely to point back to him. He will also try to contact Nail periodically, but he’s not holding his breath on getting any response soon.

That should be UO, not Synthcorp, to which Goethe is referring.

4509 leaves the Walther behind for now and vaults over the rim of the structure and descends into the dungeon, his left eye viewing the world in low-light vision and his right switching to thermographic mode. He stands at the grate for a few long moments, eyes and ears straining for signs of life within, sweeping the area with his ultrasound emitter. He eventually settles his hands on the bars of the grate and (burning Edge) attempts to rip it free from the wall.

The grate is heavy iron, rusted on the edges. It’s an old place, but still probably post-Cataclysm (or as the fairy magickers call it, post-Awakening). After a moment, it’s clear the grate wont rip off the hinges, but with some extraordinary effort 4509 is able to bend the bars wide enough to fit his body through. He falls to the floor of the dungeon, scanning the area.

4509’s low-light vision sees a human leaning against the corner of the dungeon. It takes a moment to recognize former Synthcorp CEO Johnson in this condition.

“Hey, pal,” Johnson says with a grin. He’s never seen 4509 before, but uses a tone of familiarity.

He’s not afraid. 4509 doesn’t care. Wordlessly, he steps toward Johnson with his hand outstretched, reaching for the man’s neck.

“Strong as you are, you’ll die like the rest,” Johnson says as 4509 approaches. “How is Walken, by th…” 4509 cuts the man off, closing his fingers around the helpless man’s windpipe.

“4509, stop!” a voice comes from over the cyborg’s comlink. It’s a man named Gary Rescigno, the new director of operations for Universal Omnitech, after Walken’s death. 4509 hasn’t decided whether to obey this new authority, who watches him through his cybernetics even more closely than Walken did. He relaxes the grip enough for Johnson to breathe, but doesn’t let go.

Rescigno’s voice seems relieved, as he continues. “Did you hear that? He knows something about the murders! Bring him in, and we’ll interrogate him here.”

It would be so simple for 4509 to simply crush this man. Universal Omnitech would be disappointed, but not enough to decommission him. Is it worth it?

4509 hefts Johnson up by his throat single-handed, pressing his body against the wall of the dungeon. “The Chinook told you about Walken’s death. What else did he tell you?” 4509’s right armblade slips slowly into view.

Nail stands on the step of his family’s apartment. A run-down old wooden building, it has iron bars over the windows and an electronic metal door that clashes horribly with the wood motif. The building is located in what is far from the worst part of town, but it’s not a neighborhood where one can forget their surroundings.

He puts his hand on a shingle and gets a splinter. What a lovely shit-hole, he thinks. It’s all he could afford after college. With his mom murdered and and his dad off living the runner’s life, he had to pay his own way, and this was the best his slim wallet could buy. Still, the memories are mostly pleasant. He had carved a nice life out for himself here with his wife, a peaceful life where he could go with the flow, mostly content to be an upper lower-class drone.

And now he has to ask his family to move. This place isn’t safe anymore. Nail has found himself on a short list of candidates in a deadly pool. Worse yet, he doesn’t know who is making the picks. And, while he doubts whoever is running this shadow game dislikes Nail enough personally to target his family out of vengeance, he knows first hand that runners aren’t above using family members as expendable collateral in order to get what they want. His thoughts run uncomfortably back to the day he came back home, only to find his house and his mother full of holes in places where they shouldn’t be. Pap, you selfish bastard… he thinks.

He runs his finger over the buzzer and pushes it. He still has no idea what he’s going to say. At least he has money. A bittersweet comfort.

“Hello? Nail is that you?” says a soft voice over the intercom.
“Yes, it’s me honey. Strawberry fields.”
“Forever,” she replies. After a series of clicks and beeps, the light on the door handle turns green. He opens the door and goes in.

Walking up a long flight of stairs, he opens the door to his unit and locks it behind him. In the entryway, he takes off his shoes. “Tadaima,” he says, using the Japanese phrase for ‘I’m home,’ a habit he picked up while on his honeymoon.

“Okaeri nasai,” she replies from the other room.

The place hasn’t changed a bit. Walking down the long hallway, his eyes glance over the familiar series of rooms. The guest bedroom, the kitchen, the bathroom, the baby room, unused. At last he arrives in the den. His eyes land happily on his wife, who sits on an old nondescript sofa, a book lying next to her.

She gets up slowly and they embrace. Even though it has been less than a week, it feels like months, and their passionate kiss reflects that. After a few seconds, they separate, and Nail remarks: “You’re up and walking.”

“Yes, it seems that medicine you’ve bought has been working,” she says with a smile.

“That’s great honey.” he replies. He tries to think happy thoughts and says “And I have good news. Work went really well, and I’ll be able to afford more where that came, enough for the near future at the least.”

“Oh, that’s wonderful honey,” she says, becoming visibly excited. “I really do think it’s working. Why, with a few more doses I’ll be right as rain. Why, maybe my cancer will even go into remission. And, if that happens, then you can go back to your old position at your job, and you won’t have to travel all the time. And then, maybe…” She glances over at the room closest to the den, its walls lined with a streak of light blue, “well let’s not get ahead of ourself, but it’s simply so exciting. This is wonderful.” she says, her eyes beaming.

Nail is not smiling. He sits on the sofa with his head on his hands. He simply can’t bring himself to put on a false front in front of the one person he cares about more than himself.

“Honey… what’s wrong?” she asks. No reply. The mood darkens like a rain cloud over a little league baseball game. “There’s something wrong… isn’t there?”

“We need to move,” he says flatly. Kaboom. The clouds darken and burst forth into a torrent of rain. To add insult to injury, it’s raining for real outside.

“…What? …Why?” she says, stunned. “We’re happy here. Sure it’s not much to look at, but we have so many happy memories. I don’t understand…”

“Something’s come up at work, and it would be good if we moved,” Nail says, not lying persay, but he can’t muster any affect, and his tone leaves the words falling flat.

" ‘It would be good?’ ", she copies back in a voice mostly confused but slightly incredulous. “What are you talking about?”

“Just listen to me honey. We need to move, and we need to do it soon.”

“But I don’t want to move honey. I like it here… Why are you bringing this up all of a sudden? And after you just got home from work, too. Honey, you’re just tired from your long business trip, that’s all.” she says, trying to convince herself what she said is true.

“It’s not safe!” blurts out Nail loudly, his head burrowed even deeper into his hands.

A long silence follows. The density of the tension forms a black hole and time dilates around the room. All remnants of Nail’s happy return are sucked in.

Finally, Nail’s wife breaks the silence. In a low whisper, she says, “Honey, your job is not in sales… is it?”

No response. Nail would rather get shot again then carry on with this conversation. He still has no idea what to say, so he doesn’t say anything.

“Honey, talk to me…” she says, still in a gentle voice. “What’s happening?”

After another long pause, Nail makes a decision of sorts. “I… can’t tell you.”

The line hits Nail’s wife like a sucker punch freight train. The communication in their relationship has been perfect. There has never been anything they couldn’t share. At this point, her hurt and confusion turns to anger. With an edge in her voice, she says “What… well… why the hell not honey? What can’t tell you tell me? Why can’t you tell me?”

She continues on, “You know, you come home and make this big sweeping pronouncement, we have to move. Then you follow it up with this dread news that I’m not safe! And then you have the nerve to say you can’t TELL me! Honey, what the hell is going on?! For all I know you could be on drugs!”

“I’m not on drugs honey.”

“I KNOW!” she yells, surprising herself with the intensity of her own emotions. “…I know… she says, softly again.”

Her rage crested, she calms down. No sooner does she calm down when a violent fit of coughing overtakes her.

“Honey!” Nail cries, and rushes to embrace her.

“Don’t touch me!” she yells, and pushes him away. “Don’t…touch me…” she half-speaks, half-cries, and falls into his arms.

Nail holds her for a long time. He tries to express with his body what he can’t express in words. He can’t tell her… It would only endanger her further, he thinks, or perhaps rationalizes, it’s unclear which.

Time goes on, and night falls. They go to bed. Too tired to continue the discussion further, neither of them speak. They sleep in separate beds. In the middle of the night, Nail’s wife comes over to him. They embrace until morning.

In the morning, a ray of light breaks through the window, and it feels like the worst of the storm has passed. Turning to Nail, his wife says… “Honey… I’m still mad at you. I’m hurt and confused and scared. But… I love you… if you say that you can’t tell me then” DA DA DEE DA DA DEE DA DA DEE DA DA DUM DA DA DEE. Nail’s intercom rings to the tune of Our Man Flint. It’s Goethe. Nail gets up crankily and goes into the other room to take the call.

“You have helluva timing, you know that?” he says sarcastically.

Johnson is speechless for a moment, until 4509 releases a bit of pressure on his windpipe. The man squeals in a choked voice, “You think that Indian talked to me?”

Johnson braces his shoulders against the wall, and kicks his dangling feet against 4509 for all he’s worth. His right foot makes a hollow “thud” sound as the toes are crushed against 4509’s cybernetic skin. He grunts with pain, but doesn’t cry out.

His eyes are fixed on 4509’s arm blade. Suddenly, with courage 4509 wouldn’t have expected Johnson to be capable of, the wretched man shouts, “Go ahead, you stupid toaster. Do it!”

4509 stares with unfeeling and expressionless eyes at the pitiful creature struggling pointlessly in his grip. He drops Johnson to the ground before falling upon him with a knee, pinning him down and tying his wrists behind his back with zip-ties. He rises and considers the bound man for a moment before drawing his revolver and firing a round into his knee. Satisfied that Johnson will be incapable of attempting to make a run for it, he hefts the man effortlessly to his shoulder and speaks into the comm: “You’ll have him shortly.”

"Well, if you’d actually respond to my attempts to contact you once in a while my timing might be better, especially after Walken got taken out.

"I was afraid this might happen. Sasheille might have been a smug son-of-a-bitch, but he warned us this went deeper than Johnson. I’ve been trying to figure out exactly what Sasheille was getting at, but my research has turned up nothing. I was hoping that whatever power was behind Johnson’s throne might leave us alone as being not worth the trouble, but I realize that was a pipe dream. Walken getting whacked wasn’t much of surprise. He was the guy that took over for Johnson after all, but Kirk…Goethe pauses for a few seconds trying his best to control his emotions and barely succeeding…Kirk didn’t deserve that. We didn’t start this war. We did our jobs, up until we found out our jobs were to die for Johnson’s benefit just like many of the runners before us. But that’s in the past. Now we have to make sure we survive this. I’m prepared to take this all the way to the top, even if it means I’m declaring war on a megacorp, as unlikely as that is.

"I’ve got people looking into things, as much as they can. I’ve also planned how I’m going to disappear when that time comes. I’ve been regularly monitoring my building for any people showing a bit too much interest in it. My bike is stored somewhere where for a fee they don’t ask questions and never saw me.

"I’m going to do my best to take these fuckers down. I would like your help in this, but I understand if you can’t or won’t. You have a wife to take care of, and she comes first. I also don’t blame you for being angry at me over the Seneth thing, but if it’s any consolation, I’m sorry. Also, I didn’t know you had thing under control. I had minimal time to make a decision. I don’t regret my choice given what I knew of the circumstances, even if I regret the end result.

"Whatever you decide you know where to find me, or at least, can find the people who know where to find me. I’ll make sure that those who need to get a hold of me can. But I’m going to become a shadow soon. I won’t let these bastards win on their terms by taking me out unawares.

“Take care of yourself, Nail. And yourwife. I’ll do what I can, but I can’t promise much.”

After the call, Goethe will see if there’s anything McManus can do for Nail’s wife. McManus might not be able to do anything directly, but he might be able to point Geothe in a direction to start with.

McManus has begun restructuring his organization, after the Synthcorp raid on his hideout. Goethe doesn’t know where he is, which suits the ork shadowrunner just fine. Last time he visited McManus, he brought the wrath of Hell along with him.

“What do you want?” the old veteran says to Goethe, via comlink. He’s not exactly rude, but far from inviting.

“It’s not for me,” Goethe says. “I don’t have anyone to lose.”

“Yeah, I know. I’ve been monitoring the situation.” His voice softens a bit before he continues. “I’ll take care of Nail’s family. Don’t call this number again.” Then the line goes dead as McManus terminates the call.

How does he always stay a step ahead? Goethe wonders. Well, at least he didn’t make Goethe actually ask for the favor.

Nail and Goethe get simultaneous comlink communication requests. It’s Rescigno, Universal Omnitech’s new director of operations. Nail and Goethe barely knew him, having only met him once at the mission debriefing following the takeover. The man seemed almost counter to the typical corporate culture. He was honest and forthcoming, and genuinely seemed concerned about the people he led.

He won’t last long, Nail can’t help but think. The good ones never do.

“We have a lead,” Rescigno says. “I have my best people working it now, but you should stop by in case we need to act fast.” As if sensing the hesitation from both runners, he continues, “I know we’re not exactly your favorite people, but we need to work together here. I’m sick of living in fear; how about you?”

After Rescigno finishes the transmission, a female voice says from behind him. “A lead? That’s what you call this?”

“It’s all we’ve got. Thank goodness 4509 didn’t kill him.” Rescigno turns toward the voice, an elf woman who is utterly unremarkable in appearance. Her skin tone, facial structure, and dark hair reveal her heritage, a refugee fleeing from the corporate takeover of Mexico. Rescigno knows the “everywoman” appearance is just a mask, and she could be quite striking if she chose to stand out.

“Connie…” he begins.

“Don’t call me that,” the woman says, cutting him off. “Even in private. I’m here for business.”

“Nightshade, then. Find out what Johnson knows. The shaman never spoke to him about anything, let alone the murder. That man is hiding something.”

The room is windowless, furnished only with a small table and two heavy plastic chairs, all bolted to the floor. Harsh flourescent lighting highlights the stark white walls and furniture. The only splash of color in the room is the dried blood caking the face and leg of the man secured in one of the chairs. He’s not sure how long he’s been there–it seems like eternity since the cyborg dragged him in and left again without a word.

The door slides open briefly to admit the slender, dark elf, then slides shut again and locks with a soft click. It could have been designed to lock silently, of course; but one purpose of this room is to constantly remind the occupants whose decision it is when they can leave.

The elf sits down in the other chair, across from the prisoner, and seems to stare past him for a moment. Then her startlingly ice-blue eyes focus back on his face. “Quite an exciting few days you’ve had, I see. It probably didn’t seem like it at the time, but you’ve been very, very lucky.” She pauses, and pulls out a pack of cigarettes. “Smoke?”, she offers. Receiving no response, she continues, “Hope you don’t mind if I do.” Without waiting for a response, she lights one and puts the pack away.

“Very lucky, seriously.” The cigarette seems almost forgotten already; the elf stares steadily into Johnson’s eyes. “You could easily have been iced in the raid, the way bullets were flying everywhere. The natives never got to bring you to trial–who knows what their punishment would have been? And twice that vatjob had you in his gunsights but didn’t put you in the ground. Not many people can say that, as I’m sure you’re aware.”

“Your luck’s run out, though. Now, you have to deal with me.” She smiles slightly. “I know–you weren’t scared of the vatjob. Why should you be scared of me? One word–patience.” She leans closer. “4509, the Chinook, the firefight–all you were risking was sudden death. But death finds us all, in the end. And eventually, the vatjob would run out of patience and slit your throat, or blow your brains out, and it would all be over.”

“The only ‘eventually’ with me, is that you will eventually tell me everything I want to know. Everyone always does. The ones who tell me soonest are the ones happiest about it, too. And I’m willing to bet that whoever’s behind all this knows that too. Even if you somehow get out of this mess you’ve landed in, if the UO team doesn’t take them out, they’ll be sure that you talked, and they won’t be happy about it. Your only hope is to give us the information we need to find them. Give us a reason to protect you, and maybe there’s an outside chance of avoiding more suffering than you can imagine. Maybe. If you know as much as I think you do.”

Nightshade leans back, stubs out the remains of her cigarette on the table, and pulls out the pack again. “Sure you don’t want that cigarette?”

Great. You get to deal with UO again. Well, they seem to have a lead, which is more than you’ve been able to dredge up so far. And it’s not as if you’re in any position to be choosy about your allies at this point. Besides, Rescigno seems to be one of the good ones. And UO’s played straight with you so far. And they have as much skin in the game as you do, if not even more.

Grabbing his weapons and other equipment, and making sure that the explosive rounds are loaded into them, Goethe leaves his condo, keeping an even sharper eye out than usual for anyone taking a less than casual interest in him. He cycles between thermal and lowlight to detect anyone staking out from a vehicle or building. If anything catches his eye or his ear, he will activate the sound amplification and filtering in his earbuds to isolate it.

One he reaches the garage his bike is being stored in, he will hop on it and speed into the night, taking a circuitous enough route that he can suss out if anyone is tailing him in a vehicle. Upon reaching the UO building, he will park his bike and walk in, weapons in full display and with a look that implies he is in no mood to be fucked with by anyone, least of all some rent-a-cop guards. If they try to stop him or make him give up his weapons, he’ll put his hands up making no threatening gestures and simply say:

“Rescigno sent for me. Tell him Goethe is here and I’m not surrendering my weapons to anyone. If he doesn’t like it, tell him I’m fine turning around and walking out that door. My crew were vital in UO getting control of Synthcorp, and at a great cost to us. That should earn me enough cred to walk in here with a portable tactical nuke if I wanted to. Lucky for you all, UO and I have similar goals at this point. So what’s it going to be?”